Good-bye, FAT – Samsung Creates F2FS File System for Flash/SSD on Linux

Great! M$ has been suing the world over FAT and now one of the leading OEMs has developed a new file-system that is much better. This could catch on quickly with Android/Linux and spread to other gadgets that run GNU/Linux. There it is, another example of the world creating its own software and leaving M$ behind.

see Samsung Creates New File System F2FS For Linux, Good News For Android – Muktware.

see more details

This entry was posted in technology and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Good-bye, FAT – Samsung Creates F2FS File System for Flash/SSD on Linux

1. Chris Weig wrote, “MSFT is a solid stock which the majority of all analysts recommend to buy”.

Objection! Facts not in evidence!

• Stock price has been fairly steady since 2000 when reality crept in – so it’s not a good capital investment except for dividends…
    • Dividend sucks, just pennies per share, not good… put your money in a savings account instead…
    • The bottom line only rich investors are buying MSFT which they use instead of the “sock drawer”.
  2. Chris Weig says:

Would you trust your children with that man? Why entrust their future to him?

Because MSFT is a solid stock which the majority of all analysts recommend to buy?

3. I think those videos say something about the stock-holders, too. Would you trust your children with that man? Why entrust their future to him?

Its amazing a loon such as Ballmer is still CEO, as he is always wrong in his statements. Sometimes I don’t wonder if it is done on purpose though for the camera and shareholders, for all we know he could be using a MAC and iPhone at home.

5. Chris Weig says:

Meanwhile, in the real world…

sudo apt-get install nazi

Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    E: Unable to locate package nazi

Meanwhile, in the real world….

7. Chris Weig says:

You clowns would not be good enough even for the communists. But some people on this blog have aptly demonstrated that they have little problems with the Nazis.

8. Glen says:

Why so angry Weig?
    You scared of the “commies”.
    Don’t look under your bed.

9. Chris Weig says:

FUD? Which FUD?!

FLOSS thrives, at the end of the day, on one thing, and one thing only:

Contribution of code and/or meaningful bug reports and/or writing meaningful documentation.

This is all directly related to FLOSS projects. I don’t consider writing crappy blogs or, more generally, writing about FLOSS to be worthwhile contributions.

And by this measure you two clowns certainly aren’t contributing anything.

The software I’ve written is not FLOSS, therefore I don’t need to pretend like you two.

10. Glen wrote, “Been reading the MS FUD handbook, Weig?”

I think that book is the software he has been writing…

11. Glen says:

“Typical FLOSS parasite…..
    …You’re not helping the cause, comrades.”
    Been reading the MS FUD handbook, Weig?

eug –Why not use ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs…?????–
    Even NTFS is not design to be on flash. This is the sad reality most people using ssd with windows will wear the flash out faster than they should. There are special file systems designed for SSD media. Ideal flash item can use NVRAM for log/journal to cut down on flash abuse and required to be able to align files to storage blocks in flash devices to make clearing fast.

Android uses YAFFS2. Thing is here samsung is one of the biggest flash designers. So if anyone can design a file-system to get max life it will be a company like samsung they have access to the internal information.

13. eug wrote, “Why not use ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs…?????”

Samsung wanted a fs specialized for embedded devices, SSDs and flash storage. FAT was used because it was tiny and worked reasonably well in small spaces but it was taxed by M$ and it wrote and re-wrote the same parts of the device repeatedly, literally wearing them out. The new system minimizes the wear and tear while handling all the other issues.

14. eug says:

“leading OEMs has developed a new file-system”

Why not use ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs…?????

15. Chris Weig says:

You mean you haven’t released anything to date, dougman? Typical FLOSS parasite. No giving back never.

But I’m also missing Robert Pogson’s glorious contributions to FLOSS. Except for this blog full of delusional ramblings there’s really nothing there.

You people need to get with the program. It seems to me that you haven’t inhaled the spirit of FLOSS. You’re not helping the cause, comrades.

16. Yonah says:

“If I ever were to release anything, it would be open-sourced under the ‘Creative Commons’ license.”

Delicious irony, sir! I thank thee.

17. Yonah says:

Oiaohm, I was told that in Soviet Russia, joke gets you! Suggest you move there, as I wasn’t making a direct comparison. Also, the request for proof that KHTML code was being used in Opera is still pending.

ssorbom F2FS is posix design based. Not what you call dos friendly. Freedos most likely will stay fat32 going forwards particularly due to the fact the Fat patents are about to fall off the tree. 2014 2 years away no more FAT32 patents.

19. ssorbom says:

Mr. Pogson,
    Thanks for the link to Mucktware, I haven’t seen that one before…added to my blog feed list.

I wonder if this new filesystem can be used with FreeDos (currently, they use FAT32).

Yonah, you more then welcome to plagiarize, however just remember.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery, so thanks. 🙂

The world is suffering under the ‘Keynesian’ economics model currently, while we should be following the ‘Austrian’ as posited by Von Mises.

Yonah there is a problem here.

Some things are like saying Ford made the road so only Ford cars can drive on it without paying ford.

Also Yonah most patent enforces pay people who made the tech nothing.

22. Yonah says:

Yes! Also, McDonald’s should allow other restaurants to sell Big Macs, exact replicas, right down to the box itself. You should write a book, called it “Dougonomics”, which I will then plagiarize and under a slightly different but grossly offensive title.

I have always said that companies should allow competitors to imitate their hardware/software. As, when companies decide to fight, it drives innovators around your current offering and in turn making you obsolete in short order.

Apple use to not care about competitors, but now with Jobs gone they want to run off his steam as long as “patently” possible.