City of Arles Saving Money One Way or Another

Sharing works. City governments certainly aren’t competitors and sharing the costs of software development works for them.
“The French city of Arles is content with the savings that it made by switching to free and open source enterprise applications. The city’s 2006 migration plan, however, proved too optimistic: the switch took not three but six years, and it resulted in savings worth 450,000 euro, instead of the estimated 780,000.”

via City of Arles pleased by savings open source enterprise software | Joinup.

When you have nails sticking up it’s the big ones you hit first. It gives the most satisfaction. Arles is already using a lot of FLOSS on the desktop, just the OS remains. They will probably get around to that one of these “refresh-cycles”. Still, savings are sufficient reason to migrate. Having software designed by you is priceless.

I was just working on one of my own web applications. It was working well in PASCAL and I wanted to see how it would work in PHP. That was a chore. It turns out to be several times slower… (UPDATE It was a mistake/suboptimization in the MySQL queries, not the application per se…) Using PHP for my web application looked like it would be easier to tweak but against that is the slower speed. Development of PHP is fast but so is PASCAL. I have some tweaks I can do and my backup plan is my PHP-expert son. Many heads are better than a few when it comes to software.

Arles no doubt had some learning experiences with its web applications. I expect that over time they will chuck M$ on the desktop as well because it adds nothing and costs a lot. That suppliers were charging more than the cost of replacement is something all users of software should consider. The world can make its own software cooperatively for much lower cost. GNU/Linux is an example. It works for me. I recommend Debian GNU/Linux.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to City of Arles Saving Money One Way or Another

–What does a college education teach you that the Australian Bush doesn’t anyway?–
    Chris Weig University degrees is what I do when I am bored. I can be attending college in Australia anywhere in the world with a decent Internet connection.

Getting PhD here is mostly if you require some university to fund research you cannot get private sector to fund or you what to be a doctor or something medical.

Chris Weig this is the problem just because I am in the Australian bush does not mean I don’t have qualifications. Difference is I normally study qualifications I need to do real world work.

2. Chris Weig says:

Should’ve studied more. Perhaps then you could’ve gotten a PhD, too, and we wouldn’t have to listen to your whining. Perhaps you can get a PhD in Theology from some obscure and dubious college. I’m sure you can find one which gives you a PhD in exchange for 10 Rosaries.

What does a phd teach you that regular college doesn’t anyway?

3. Adam King says:

Same thing. PHBs typically have a phd in business or somesuch.

4. lpbbear says:

“Phds are typically people who couldn’t cut it in the field and went back to getsome letters……”

I think they were talking about “PHB’s” Adam. (Pointy Haired Bosses) not “PHD’s”.

5. Adam King says:

Phds are typically people who couldn’t cut it in the field and went back to getsome letters to put after their names in a failed attempt to look more impressive. Most people aren’t impressed because they know the truth. What does a phd teach you that regular college doesn’t anyway? I’m sure we’ll have DRBoring popping up any minute to tell us how his phd in obscure history helped him become an employee of M$.

6. Chuckle. He was too angry to talk/explain, which was fine with me. I put an unused PC to work and provided a valuable resource to teachers. In that particular educational jurisdiction, the dead wood seems to have floated to the top. All the bullies and idiots of education were in management there. Any organization that tries to stifle initiative so a few egos can be comfortable is weak.

If someone got angry at you for driving a Ford instead of a Chevy, you would list that person as insane. Same thing applies with operating systems, I’ve never quite understood why someone would become visibly angry.

Why was PHB angry??

9. Good stuff. I think he might have missed one, the PHBs know nothing except that other OS. I was at one school where there were two old PCs running XP in the staff room. One died so I replaced it with an old machine running GNU/Linux. One of the PHBs dropped by and just freaked. He was so angry he could not talk… Another time I was giving a presentation to the staff and the same guy freaked again because I was not using that other OS and PP. He was totally unconcerned about the message but was actually angry that the software I was running was not M$’s. It’s a good thing he did not venture down the hallway to my classroom. This guy was not even my boss. He was an assistant to my boss’ boss. His job was to inspect things, not to freak. He’s the same guy who sent an unfinished Excel spreadsheet to all schools to standardise attendance accounting. Well, everyone had to fix it to work so there were 50 versions of the spreadsheet in the end and huge man-hours were wasted because he had a “good idea”. Sigh… I am not fond of PHBs. They are dangerous. I worked in one place where the PHB dropped in to supervise an operation and jammed a highly radioactive part. Several of us got huge doses of radiation thanks to his helping us.

10. lpbbear says:

“I expect that over time they will chuck M$ on the desktop as well because it adds nothing and costs a lot.”

I would think that will happen fairly soon, like sometime after the official release of Win8 when M$FT artificially dries up copies of older versions of Windows in an attempt to force the use of Win8.

11. Ivan says:

Is it just a coincidence that Arles was a part of Vichy France and a hub for the Nazi internment of Roma?