Correlation of IE Usage and GNU/Linux Usage

I was looking at webstats trying to find a correlation between use of IE and GNU/Linux. One could argue that there should not be any but some fraction of people not using IE may be using GNU/Linux so there should be some. Here is the data, some from StatCounter for IE v continents and some from NetApplications for GNU/Linux v continents. By plotting IE v GNU/Linux share I get this:

Data from NetApplications and StatCounter

Surprisingly, the data show that the correlation is almost nonexistant but that it’s the wrong way around… The more a region uses IE, the more they use GNU/Linux. In fact, the country with the most Linux-haters on this blog is USA and it is in one of the highest usage groups, North America.

So, we have a puzzle. I like that. The graph shows an obvious Digital Divide. The continent has a much stronger correlation with usage of GNU/Linux.

Looking at these webstats shows an interesting fact, the people of the USA and Europe, the ones who come here most to scold me for advocating using GNU/Linux, are themselves the biggest users of GNU/Linux. I have been preaching to the converted. I should branch out to the growth markets of the south and east.

Note that I don’t trust these numbers for accuracy but they should be internally consistent, hopefully, and useful for showing this effect. Asia and Africa having 3 billion people should tip the scales dramatically.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Correlation of IE Usage and GNU/Linux Usage

1. oldman says:

“HOAX or not, IE users are still ignorant.”

So you install firefox or chrome on windows – end of story.

Thats called choice.

HOAX or not, IE users are still ignorant.

Also to conclude, when one reviews browser statistics located at: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp, anyone can see that Internet Exploder is a lost cause and will become irrelevant in a few short years.

Here are two memorable quotes concerning Internet Exploiter:

“Internet Explorer isn’t necessarily bad, it’s just that other browsers are better”

“The number one browser for downloading a better browser”

That Exploit Guy you have just covered the exact reason why I hate Mandarin spoken. Too many identically sounding words with completely different meanings.

4. That Exploit Guy says:

@dougman

‘FYI: Bing in chinese language means “Disease”, truly a Brand Infection! Choice is yours. HAHAHA’

This sure looks like the work of someone with a degree in foreign language butchering.

The Chinese word for “disease” (ç—…) is pronounced “bìng” in Pinyin Mandarin. Notice the diacritic there because if you change it, it will become a completely different word. For example, “bǐng” means “biscuit” (餅) and “bÄ«ng” can mean “soldier” (å…µ) or “ice” (冰). Even “bìng” itself has several distinct meanings such as “together” (並) and “advice” (誁). None of the words with the pronouncation “bing” means “disease”, however.

Here’s a dictionary. Feel free to look up those words.

That Exploit Guy yet the funny one is no one has been game to run the survey for real. To find out what the real facts are.

6. That Exploit Guy says:

@dougman

‘A recent survey has stated that Internet Exploiter users have far less an IQ then those that use Firefox or say Chrome.’

You mean the alleged “survey” that turned out to be a hoax?

Are you sure you actually went to MIT?

Also to add, M$ BING search engine fails: http://www.ibtimes.com/bing-vs-google-microsoft%E2%80%99s-pepsi-challenge-backfires-780715

I took the test and Google came out each and every time. Whenever I am forced to use Bing, I just type in ‘google.com’ in the search bar.