Bannings

I took a suggestion to clear out the most egregious trolls and have banned Thorsten Rahn, Clarence Moon and Ted from the comments. I don’t have the time to read your insults.

About Robert Pogson

I am a retired teacher in Canada. I taught in the subject areas where I have worked for almost forty years: maths, physics, chemistry and computers. I love hunting, fishing, picking berries and mushrooms, too.
This entry was posted in technology. Bookmark the permalink.

92 Responses to Bannings

  1. Chris Weig wrote, “It was said so in Munich’s very own pre-study.”

    For one step on the Wintel treadmill but NT 4 is ancient. There would have been two steps by now. Ballmer made his sweet offer only after GNU/Linux looked like it was going to win. Ballmer doesn’t run a charity and he had interrupted his vacation to try to rescue the situation. Money was not the most important factor at the time; independence was.

    “After the result of the client study produced a broad balance between two alternatives, the Munich City Council decided in early summer 2003 for a greater vendor independence, more competition in the software market, as well as improved access to the strategic objectives of the City of Munich.”

  2. Chris Weig says:

    Nope. Munich barely increased manpower while increasing numbers of PC, so manpower’s a wash. Licensing though, is huge. They costed out migrating (planning, doing, training) against one round of M$’s licensing, a sweet deal Ballmer offered, and it was about a wash.

    Stop running in circles, Pogson.

    Continuing with Windows would’ve been cheaper — with or without Ballmer’s offer. It was said so in Munich’s very own pre-study.

    Also, apart from Munich’s mayor waxing some rhetoric about how Limux saves money, there is as of yet no hard evidence whatsoever to support this claim.

  3. Mongrol says:

    Kozmcrae tries to spin his way out of it in post 89.

    “Mongrol wrote some more stuff in post 85.”

    All I’ve posted are questions, which you have not yet answered, facts – your own words – my observations on them, and some advice.

    You’ve just been re-stating the same outrageous crap that started this whole sad affair, and then trying stop it being discussed by derailing it into your usual “Cult of Microsoft” garbage.

    “You can dig yourself in deeper if you wish Mongrol.”

    Don’t make me laugh.

    You actually try to spin this as if I’m the one in the wrong, or I’m th eone losing this argument. You really are a bear of very little brain, aren’t you?

    You’re the one in the hole of your own digging, and if you dig yourself in any deeper, you’ll need a Chinese phrase-book.

    “If you do, go ahead, it won’t hurt me any.”

    Which is why you’ve spent part of this thread trying to justify what you said, making the situation worse. Now you just wait for Robert to bury the blog post under new articles and for this abject humiliation of yours to go away.

  4. kozmcrae says:

    Mongrol wrote some more stuff in post 85. I’ll leave it at that. You can dig yourself in deeper if you wish Mongrol. I have nothing more to write on the matter. It’s all been said, repeatedly. If you do, go ahead, it won’t hurt me any.

  5. That Exploit Guy says:

    @Robert Pogson

    ‘Nope. Munich barely increased manpower while increasing numbers of PC, so manpower’s a wash. Licensing though, is huge.’

    I don’t think I need to explain to you what a “balance sheet” is, but to belabour my point, the act of waving your arms in the air does not constitute a balance sheet.

    I hope I have made that clear for you.

  6. TEG wrote, “the money-saving power of Limux remains a belief, not a fact.”

    Nope. Munich barely increased manpower while increasing numbers of PC, so manpower’s a wash. Licensing though, is huge. They costed out migrating (planning, doing, training) against one round of M$’s licensing, a sweet deal Ballmer offered, and it was about a wash. Now to go to “7” or “8” on another round completely tilts the scales in favour of migration unless you think M$ would give them a free ride forever… What’s the cost of one round of licensing on 15K PCs? Say $50 for the OS and $100 for the office suite and you come to $150X15K = $2,250,000. Then there are those other apps… No, taking everything in their own hands saves them a bundle every few years forever. I am sure they could have reduced manpower considerably by switching to thin clients but they chose not to do that. Ude also reported there were many fewer work orders so they may reduce staffing after the migration is finished this year.

    The only thing that makes Munich seem doubtful was the huge number of apps and templates needing migration. That’s something they likely would have attacked even if they had stayed with M$ so that’s not entirely fairly placed on the GNU/Linux column. ie. Even staying with M$ they could have reduced the number of applications and templates and installed a management system for them.

    Fans of M$ keep harping that M$ magically saves them money in exchange for the licensing fees but they provide no spreadsheets of their own. Certainly on migrations that I did in schools, break-even was on Day One just for the costs of licensing. Then there’s keeping equipment 10 years instead of 3 or 4… There’s no way it pays to keep M$ for the whole system.

  7. That Exploit Guy says:

    @Robert Pogson

    ‘Supporting M$ is a crime. A crime is a serious offence against society. You bet sending $billions down the drain every year to support M$ is $billions unavailable to feed the hungry, care for the elderly, widows and orphans, and to make the world a better place.’

    Again, as I haved mentioned here, it’s not your part to decide what’s best for everyone. Look, last month I spent my own money on an expensive meal instead of donated it all to a charity. Did I commit a crime? Should we all go with pitch forks and torches and burn down the restaurant for good? What kind of mentality is this you are trying to advocate here to be exact?

    ‘The trigger for the migration to GNU/Linux in Munich was the forced migration away from NT4. M$ was responsible for that forced migration. It affected thousands in the City of Munich and many millions elsewhere.’

    No. Unless MS was surrounding the city with armies and tanks, it was the City of Munich’s decision to migrate. Also, I welcome you to whip out a balance sheet and show me exactly how much they have saved with the migration, but, until then, the money-saving power of Limux remains a belief, not a fact.

  8. Mongrol says:

    “You’re doing that comparison thing again.”

    And you compare the actions of a software company to mass-murder and genocide. This is not a case of “pot and kettle”. I am not the one coming out with the outrageous statements.

    “I did not mention Microsoft, did I? I was actually speaking of you and the other Cult of Microsoft members.”

    I did not mention Microsoft either, until YOU DID.

    I wrote; “You would equate criticism of software to the Holocaust? Apartheid? The Rwandan genocides? ”

    Mentions of Microsoft: ZERO. Denials from you: ZERO.

    You have since that post, REPEATEDLY STATED Microsoft’s actions are “a crime against humanity” in this thread.

    “Does it matter if I said I think you are a fool or if I punched you in the face.”

    You advocate violence against those you disagree with, too??

    “Stymie and criticize are interchangeable? Only in your Cult of Microsoft dreams.”

    I repeat for the hard of understanding; it does not matter a jot what you wrote or meant.

    You equate software and the actions of a software company to MASS-MURDER AND GENOCIDE.

  9. kozmcrae says:

    Mongrol wrote:

    “Were Standard Oil and Bell “crimes against humanity” too? Of course not, and they were monopolists to a degree Microsoft could only dream of.”

    You’re doing that comparison thing again. “See? Other companies in the past have done horrible things to the public, Microsoft is just following in the footsteps of common, good ole American business practices.”

    Gee Mongrol, I haven’t looked into Standard Oil and Bell that much, what do you think?

    I’ll tell you what I think. I think you’ve done a slam dunk on this post. It was supposed to be about banning abusive commenters, but you and TEG have turned it into post about FLOSS advocates accusing Microsoft of crimes against humanity. Pretty good work since that is not what I said at all now isn’t it. Tell the truth now you angry little Cult of Microsoft follower! I said: “FLOSS is a different story. Attempting to stymie its growth is a crime against humanity in my opinion.” I did not mention Microsoft, did I? I was actually speaking of you and the other Cult of Microsoft members. Since Microsoft is trying to kill FLOSS, it too can be included with your lot. But it was you who stuck Microsoft into the mix, not us. You instinctively knee-jerked into Microsoft defense mode.

    Now you said a lot of crap about me that you seem to believe should be addressed. Well, it was mostly circular logic.

    You asked a question, it mentioned the holocaust. What difference does it make if it was a question or a statement. I know, you’ll find some important difference.

    “It matters not a jot whether you meant “criticize” or “stymie”.”

    Excuse me? Who does it not matter too? Does it matter if I said black and not white? Does it matter if I said I think you are a fool or if I punched you in the face. Two different words, two different meanings, two very different outcomes. Stymie and criticize mean two completely different things. It does matter a jot. One is expressing an opinion, the other is trying to stop someone from accomplishing a task. One is passive the other is active.

    This is by-the-book Cult of Microsoft behavior. Stretching the limits of all the possible negative aspects of other people statements while changing the meanings of the words when needed. Stymie and criticize are interchangeable? Only in your Cult of Microsoft dreams.

  10. oldman says:

    “Supporting M$ is a crime. ”

    Please provide thereferences to the laws on the books that state exactly what you stated above…

    Really Pog, have you no shame!

    If you wish to say that it is your opinion, once could see that statement as at lease an accurate representatiuon of your opinion if nothing else.

    As a direct assertion of fact it is a load of crap!

  11. Chris Weig wrote, “go to The Hague”.

    No need. The Hague is a backup plan for when nations do not deal with crime locally. USA and other countries don’t send mass murderers to the Hague. They deal with the matter locally.

    Supporting M$ is a crime. A crime is a serious offence against society. You bet sending $billions down the drain every year to support M$ is $billions unavailable to feed the hungry, care for the elderly, widows and orphans, and to make the world a better place. It affects everyone negatively that M$ has a monopoly on desktops in most parts of the world. That’s why many countries are preferring FLOSS in purchasing now. That’s why many countries are generating and sharing FLOSS.

    The trigger for the migration to GNU/Linux in Munich was the forced migration away from NT4. M$ was responsible for that forced migration. It affected thousands in the City of Munich and many millions elsewhere. The few proud and brave organizations who fought back should be commended for protecting their members from monopoly. They set an example for the rest of us that the bully could be defeated. If good people do nothing the bully gets his way.

  12. Chris Weig says:

    Abusing monopoly power is a crime against humanity too on the scale that Microsoft has done it.

    Then go to The Hague instead of swinging your tiny dick around here.

    Only the Cult of Microsoft seem to be defensive about Microsoft being associated with genocide. Take some good advice, stop talking about Microsoft and genocide right now. Don’t mention the two in the same post.

    You mean like you did when you accused Microsoft of committing crimes against humanity? Now, of course, you want to reverse it, spin it, so that your hands are clean.

    It seems you don’t understand anything about language. If one says the Nazis committed crimes against humanity by means of genocide, and then you say that what Microsoft does are, too, crimes against humanity, then this can mean nothing else than: Microsoft is as bad as the Nazis, Microsoft’s “crimes” are as bad as genocide.

    By your logic you could also say that supporting Microsoft by means of using their operating system is just as bad as murdering someone.

    Yes, that’s the patented Cult of FLOSS logic.

    It can’t be said often enough:

    Pogson, kozmcrae & Co. would have endorsed Hitler, had he only used FLOSS.

    Pogson, kozmcrae & Co. would probably without remorse drop a nuclear bomb on Redmond, if they had one. For the good of mankind. Chuckle.

    Brain-damaged cultists becoming entangled in their own web spun from hypocrisy and lies and self-delusion.

    Tragic.

  13. Mongrol says:

    “I said stymie. If I had meant criticize I would have said, criticize. Two very different meanings.

    So Mongrol was the first to mention the Holocaust and genocide in general.”

    I simply asked you a question. Which you have not answered directly, but have managed to answer rather eloquently in your later posts. I’ll take those as a “Yes”, and I’ll repeat my advice –

    Get a sense of perspective.

    You said “FLOSS is a different story. Attempting to stymie its growth is a crime against humanity in my opinion.”

    It matters not a jot whether you meant “criticize” or “stymie”. Considering that “crime against humanity” pretty much means genocide (look up those who have been convicted of it and what they did…), you equated the actions of a software company with mass-murder.

    (Wikipedia’s page also lists Apartheid as a crime against humanity. Still way out of Microsoft’s league.)

    “It was not kozmcrae who started the holocaust business”

    Interesting. Speaking of yourself in the third person? Why not “me”? *COUGH*sockpuppet*COUGH*

    And yes, you did start it.

  14. Mongrol says:

    @Pogson

    “It’s an analogy, stupid.”

    Really?

    Kozmcrae – “FLOSS is a different story. Attempting to stymie its growth is a crime against humanity in my opinion.”

    No “like”, “similar to” or anything to suggest an analogy or simile. He’s pretty definite about it. “is a” – this is a clue.

    “In my opinion” is no defence.

    And then later;

    Kozmcrae – ” Abusing monopoly power is a crime against humanity too on the scale that Microsoft has done it. ”

    Kozmcrae – “Microsoft is still guilty of abusing its monopoly power which, on the scale of it, is a crime against humanity.”

    Pretty definite about it again. Nothing suggests analogy, metaphor or simile.

    And “on the scale of it”? Were Standard Oil and Bell “crimes against humanity” too? Of course not, and they were monopolists to a degree Microsoft could only dream of.

    You can’t even use the excuse that it’s supposedly an analogy, simile or metaphor! Let’s face it; what Microsoft may or may not be guilty of is NOTHING like a crime against humanity.

    To think it is anywhere close is OBSCENE.

  15. kozmcrae says:

    Post 46 Kozmcrea wrote:

    “I can’t speak for other advocates of FLOSS but you can attack me all you want. I doesn’t make a damn bit of difference. FLOSS is a different story. Attempting to stymie its growth is a crime against humanity in my opinion.”

    Post 48 Mongrol wrote:

    “A crime against humanity??

    You would equate criticism of software to the Holocaust? Apartheid? The Rwandan genocides?

    You need to get a sense of perspective.”

    I said stymie. If I had meant criticize I would have said, criticize. Two very different meanings.

    So Mongrol was the first to mention the Holocaust and genocide in general. Then TEG picked up the ball in the next post (49) with a link to a video about IBM’s involvment with the Holocaust. It looks like TEG was coming to Microsoft’s aid with the “look, someone else was just as bad” defense so often favored by the Cult of Microsoft.

    It was not kozmcrae who started the holocaust business, it was Mongrol, then TEG. The very people who are blaming everyone else. I said nothing about Microsoft in particular and nothing about the holocaust or genocide. It was about trying to prevent the growth of FLOSS that was a crime against humanity. That was my opinion and I stand by that statement. FLOSS is good for the World. Trying to prevent it is doing harm to the World. It’s that simple.

    This thread is about banning abusers. I think it should get back on track.

  16. That Exploit Guy says:

    @Robert Pogson

    ‘It’s an analogy, stupid. No one is equating them. They are different. The things that are the same are the magnitude in numbers and the illegality of it.’

    I backed you up, and you disappoint me.

    The only event that can be genuinely rated at the same magnitude in numbers and illegality as a “crime against humanity” is IBM’s involvement in the extermination of the Jewish population by Nazi Germany. You didn’t just ignore better advices from readers to get a better sense of perspective, but you also went to justify your completely out-of-proportion tirades with the following remark:

    ‘The past is gone. I see IBM do a lot of good in the world today, like helping emerging nations of Africa adapt sophisticated IT that works for them.’

    Really, Mr. Pogson? Really? I am afraid even Mother Teresa wouldn’t get away with murder if she tried. You are not talking sense here, Mr. Pogson, but rather your blind hatred against a software company for putting software you don’t like on computers you are not going to buy. This is the kind of slip-ups that I would normally expect from a spoiled brat, and I do expect you to be above expousing such ill-adviced opinions.

  17. That Exploit Guy says:

    @Robert Pogson

    Walmart in Winnipeg, Canada. Acres of PCs. Not one with GNU/Linux.’

    Again, what about IBM It seems to me even a company known for being overtly anti-competitive is acceptable in your book so as long as it promotes Linux. Seriously, is it “monopoly” that you care about, or just the dominance of Linux in the market (however it’s achieved)?

  18. TEG wrote, “No, the act of selling computers does not even begin to compare to genocide.”

    It’s an analogy, stupid. No one is equating them. They are different. The things that are the same are the magnitude in numbers and the illegality of it. Nothing else. A crime repeated many millions of times is much more serious than a crime committed once. That is all. Just as the world has a hard time comprehending some crimes, the world has a hard time believing that a business in USA could do so much damage around the globe. Every PC sold with no chance to have a competing OS on it is a little bit of freedom lost. Even a few times is serious. A billion times is off-scale.

  19. That Exploit Guy says:

    @kozmcrae

    ‘No one here is associating Microsoft with genocide except the Cult of Microsoft. Stop doing it. Genocide is a crime against humanity. Abusing monopoly power is a crime against humanity too on the scale that Microsoft has done it.’

    At least Robert Pogson has the sense to stop digging himself into a deeper hole on this matter.

    I don’t know if you realise how insensitive you sound with such a comment. No, the act of selling computers does not even begin to compare to genocide. Not on any scale. You are essentially trying to lump the loss of families and loved ones in the same category as some piece of software not being potentially more popular. This is what I call “pulling a Kim Kardashian” – it’s as stupid as it is outrageous.

    ‘Who introduced genocide into this thread?’

    I believe that’s you. Let me make this clear once again – a piece of software being potentially deprived of an opportunity to be popular does not have the same foothold as murder, extermination, enslavement, torture, etc. At no point does or should your nerd rage over a software company compare to the grief over the loss of human lives. You are solely responsible for airing your own dirty laundry and exposing yourself as an over-privileged individual with no empathy or understanding of human suffering – don’t blame anyone else for that.

  20. kozmcrae says:

    Chris Weig wrote:

    “Who introduced genocide into this thread?

    You did, kozmcrae. By claiming that Microsoft’s actions were a crime against humanity.”

    No one here is associating Microsoft with genocide except the Cult of Microsoft. Stop doing it. Genocide is a crime against humanity. Abusing monopoly power is a crime against humanity too on the scale that Microsoft has done it. Only the Cult of Microsoft seem to be defensive about Microsoft being associated with genocide. Take some good advice, stop talking about Microsoft and genocide right now. Don’t mention the two in the same post.

    You seem to think that if you change the meaning our statement to accusing Microsoft the far greater crime of genocide that it somehow gets Microsoft off the hook. No, it doesn’t. That little tactic is typical Cult of Microsoft bait and switch. Microsoft is still guilty of abusing its monopoly power which, on the scale of it, is a crime against humanity.

    That Exploit Guy wrote:

    “Are you seriously trying to equate “monopoly” with genocide?”

    Who introduced genocide into this thread?

    Since he wasn’t man enough to answer my question I’ll answer it for him. That Exploit Guy was the one who introduced genocide into the thread. Way to go TEG, you managed to turn a thread on bannings on an IT blog into a heated discussion on genocide. Good work for the Cult of Microsoft.

  21. Chris Weig wrote, “Where is there exclusion of any kind? “

    Walmart in Winnipeg, Canada. Acres of PCs. Not one with GNU/Linux. It’s a different story with smart phones. Acres of smart phones, mostly with Android/Linux. Walmart in Brazil has no problem selling GNU/Linux PCs. Obviously it’s a choice Walmart is making here. They are choosing to exclude GNU/Linux. They buy in sufficient volume any OEM would provide them GNU/Linux.

  22. Chris Weig says:

    Let’s see. There are many millions creating FLOSS but are excluded from supplying software on retail shelves because it’s not for that other OS.

    Now, that’s some delusion. Where are they excluded? Where? It’s free software. The OEMs are free to put it on their computers. The users are free to download and install it. Where is there exclusion of any kind? Nowhere. If the OEMs think that they’ll do better by purchasing subsidized Windows licenses for their computers, then this is merely a testament to how much Linux has failed.

    That’s seems rather too big to be called an anti-trust situation.

    So that’s basically your implicit agreement then to the claim that Microsoft is committing crimes against humanity. Could you please explicitly state what these crimes are and how they compare to, for example, Assad slaughtering his own people?

  23. Chris Weig wrote, “By claiming that Microsoft’s actions were a crime against humanity”.

    Let’s see. There are many millions creating FLOSS but are excluded from supplying software on retail shelves because it’s not for that other OS. That’s seems rather too big to be called an anti-trust situation. There’s a reason governments are leaders in adopting FLOSS. They want freedom for their people.
    “the Munich City Council decided in early summer 2003 for a greater vendor independence, more competition in the software market, as well as improved access to the strategic objectives of the City of Munich.
    Decision 2003 was, however, of two parts, one part of the decision, the future use of free software on the workstations and also the strategically-important stipulation that new client-server applications still only be developed as a web application and invited to tender. Especially the second part is to make in the future pending migrations much more economical and efficient.”

    So, the migration to GNU/Linux at Munich was not only about cost or efficiency but a better way of life forever. Remember, the alternative choice was XP and IE6… In just a few short years they have gone from supporting full employment in RedMond Washington to supporting full employment for their people of Munich. It is about freedom to make a living, supporting local people and making the world a better place.

    Don’t forget, M$ did travel the world threatening people and governments. They threatened to close offices in countries that did not follow along like lambs to the slaughter. M$ still does give away licences to keep people in the fold. That failed at Munich because it was not about money but freedom. M$ has no business interest at all in giving licences away. To them its about keeping power over people. Wise governments defend their people instead of collaborating with the oppressor.

    M$:“Governments have to ask them the business is to serve the citizens or develop software? Innovation is in the private sector.”

    Since when is it M$’s business to tell duly elected governments how to do their jobs?

  24. Chris Weig says:

    Who introduced genocide into this thread?

    You did, kozmcrae. By claiming that Microsoft’s actions were a crime against humanity. As I already wrote, better notify the International Court of Justice of your findings. Then enjoy your stay in a padded cell.

  25. I just discovered this site doing a Gsearch for “number of linux users” or something like that, and then, of course, I discovered this post about banning a few trolls. I was surprised at the vitriol toward the blog owner Mr. Pogson about doing this.

    I’m a long-time blogger and stopped allowing comments earlier this year, so I admire anyone who can put up with the nonsense. Being that this is a techie-blog, comments can be useful, but on a few other posts, I saw tons of defenders of Microsoft and attacks toward Linux which, if I get the gist of this blog, is entirely a pro-Linux gathering place.

    So, tossing a few trolls back under the bridge is entirely the right thing to do. This is the internet and if they haven’t figured out how to go start a free blog somewhere else and remote troll from their own cyberplace, they are probably really way too hung up about whatever is going on here. Of course, starting a blog and getting your own group of followers is a long journey and daunting. It’s probably a bit boring to Remote Troll Blog when nobody is reading it, so they’d much rather come here where they can at least get some eyeballs and attention for their behavior. I believe this is the same reason why you don’t see rebellious teenagers on the side of country roads by the cows: no attention there.

    So, kudos to Pogson for doing it. And kudos that he bothers with comments at all. It’s a hassle that is rarely rewarded. He’s not getting paid to write this stuff. Personally, I’d implement a plugin to accept Facebook and Disqus comments (or convert it all to WordPress.com) which, although it isn’t perfect, at least increases the chances of people using real names and risking their overall online identity if they act the fool.

    As for me, I’m subscribing to the feed and am glad to have found this great resource. I made the full-on switch to Linux, albeit Ubuntu, early this year after dual-booting for a few years first. I’ve had no complaints and can’t foresee ever returning to the boys at Redmond. Admittedly, though, it did make it easier when I didn’t have to sync a certain device from Cupertino to a certain piece of software anymore after a certain iOS 5 changed some things. After playing with WINE last year, I decided that if I couldn’t run it on Gnome, then it would not be part of my arsenal at all. It’s been pretty smooth sailing ever since.

  26. Ivan says:

    I don’t have any direct financial interest in IBM but they have done a lot to promote GNU/Linux and that works for all kinds of people in every corner of Earth.

    Did you really mean to say that profitting from the systematic killing of millions is excusable just so long as you use open source?

    That’s pretty FUBAR, even for you, Bob.

  27. Ivan says:

    I don’t have any direct financial interest in IBM but they have done a lot to promote GNU/Linux and that works for all kinds of people in every corner of Earth.

    Did you really mean to say that profitting from the systematic killing of millions is excusable just so long as you use open source?

    That’s pretty fucked up, even for you, Bob.

  28. kozmcrae says:

    That Exploit Guy wrote:

    “Are you seriously trying to equate “monopoly” with genocide?”

    Who introduced genocide into this thread?

  29. Adam King says:

    Corporations are people, remember? The supreme court said so.

  30. Chris Weig says:

    Next you’re going to tell me the people who passed by the camps for whatever reason should all be shot because they didn’t single-handedly go in and liberate the prisoners.

    Next you’re going to tell us that there’s really no difference between a big, multinational corporation and passersby.

  31. That Exploit Guy says:

    @Adam King

    As Black mentions in the second part of the video, even a little girl in Amsterdam knew and wrote in her diary about the systematic killing of Jews by the Nazi regime. We are talking about a CEO of a company with knowledge of every stage of the undertaking, right down to the location of each and every camp.

    Granted, there was no reason to expect Watson to summon the Inglorious Basterds, but that’s still wouldn’t justify his profiting from the atrocity.

  32. Adam King says:

    IBM didn’t kill anybody. Their whole business was data collection and storage. Next you’re going to tell me the people who passed by the camps for whatever reason should all be shot because they didn’t single-handedly go in and liberate the prisoners.

  33. That Exploit Guy says:

    “The code for prisoner types”, not “the code for prisonor times”.

  34. That Exploit Guy says:

    @Chris Weig

    ‘Oh, really?’

    The linked video included presentations of some of the evidence Edwin Black collected over his years of research, and those pretty much covered everything your link describes (such as the code for prisonor times and correspondent between subsidaries under German control and Watson himself). As Black himself says, “You don’t accuse someone of mass murder without some evidence.”

    Clearly, Robert Pogson never took the time to watch the video. Guilty conscience, perhaps?

  35. Chris Weig says:

    Were Mr. Pogson not retired one should take his “Business with Nazis? No Problem!” posts and see to it that every school in Canada were to receive it, so that they’d hopefully never employ such a deeply disturbed man.

  36. Chris Weig says:

    We all know technology is abused in war and in peace.

    A trivial statement which doesn’t justify anything.

    IBM did not do the abusing.

    Followed by the usual excuse in these cases.

    There was nothing legally or ethically wrong with IBM providing technology to Germany. What the Germans did with it was normal business, a census. What they did with the census data was wrong but IBM had nothing to do with that.

    Oh, really?

    Particularly powerful are the newly-released copies of the IBM concentration camp codes.

    IBM maintained a customer site, known as the Hollerith Department, in virtually every concentration camp. Auschwitz was coded 001, Buchenwald 002, Dachau 003, and so on.

    Prisoners were coded, with 3, signifying homosexual, and 12 for Gypsy.

    The IBM number 8 designated a Jew.

    Inmate death was also reduced to an IBM digit: 3 represented death by natural causes, 4 by execution, 5 by suicide, and code 6 designated “special treatment”—in gas chambers.

    Therefore, IBM engineers had to create Hollerith codes to differentiate between a Jew who had been worked to death and one who had been gassed, then print the cards, configure the machines, train the staff, and continuously maintain the fragile systems every two weeks on site in the camps.

    Yeah, that’s what “nothing to do with it” looks like to me, too.

  37. That Exploit Guy says:

    @kozmcrae

    ‘If you’ve been found guilty of a transgression, point to someone else who is also guilty of a transgression.’

    Are. You. Kidding. Me?

    Are you seriously trying to equate “monopoly” with genocide?

    There is not point where the two things meet, nor there should.

    If “monopoly” is the equivalent of stealing a candy bar at a convenient store, then genocide is the equivalent of peppering the check-out clerk with a shotgun blast.

    What Robert Pogson is effectively saying is that the act of shooting the check-out clerk is less heinous than the act of stealing a candy bar. Because? Linux!

    This is messed up, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

  38. That Exploit Guy says:

    @Robert Pogson

    ‘It is childish to think that the past can be undone in some way. The past is gone. I see IBM do a lot of good in the world today, like helping emerging nations of Africa adapt sophisticated IT that works for them.’

    So does the Bill and Miranda Gates Foundation. So what?

    To this day, IBM still denies its dealings with Nazi German.

    To this day, victims of the Holocaust and their loved ones still suffers from emotional traumas as a direct result of Watson’s greed.

    This is not something to simply forgive and forget. It’s a war crime – a war crime continually denied by its own perpetrator and actively whitewashed by people such as yourself in order to justify their twisted sense of morality.

    A twisted sense of morality where even genocide can be forgiven but a petty crime of “monopoly” cannot. All for the reason of supporting a piece of software no one taking his or her dying breath at a concentration camp would care about.

    Do you know how outragous your above statement really is?

  39. kozmcrae says:

    That Exploit Guy wrote:

    “Nevertheless, you have no trouble singing praises to IBM. That’s kind of a paradoxical stance you take here, don’t you think?”

    You have branded yourself as a Cult of Microsoft member with those two statements. Microsoft invented that tactic. It goes like this: If you’ve been found guilty of a transgression, point to someone else who is also guilty of a transgression. By that logic it supposed to make it okay. It doesn’t. It just illuminates two guilty parties.

    No, Exploit, Microsoft is still guilty. Just as guilty as a matter of fact. You haven’t shown Microsoft to be any less guilty. You have just shown yourself to be a dyed in the wool Cult of Microsoft member.

    So a bunch of Cult of Microsoft members have been banned and a new bunch of nyms have shown up to replace them. Nothing new here. How long will it take before the new batch gets banned? It doesn’t matter because as soon as they are banned a new batch will show up.

  40. That Exploit Guy wrote, “IBM’s involvement at every stage of the systematic murder of six million Jews”.

    It is childish to think that the past can be undone in some way. The past is gone. I see IBM do a lot of good in the world today, like helping emerging nations of Africa adapt sophisticated IT that works for them.

    “IBM Research – Africa will have its first location in Nairobi, Kenya in collaboration between the Ministry of Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) through the Kenya ICT Board. It will conduct basic and applied research focused on solving problems relevant to Africa and contribute to the building of a science and technology base for the continent.”

    See New IBM Research Lab to Open In Kenya

    I don’t have any direct financial interest in IBM but they have done a lot to promote GNU/Linux and that works for all kinds of people in every corner of Earth.

    “The Nazi regime used equipment manufactured by IBM’s German subsidiary; that has been well-known for decades. That, and other well-known facts about IBM, were the basis of allegations in last year’s book and appear to be used in similar fashion in the new segments in the just-issued paperback. There are no new findings here.

    Since its publication, the research behind the book and the conclusions reached by its author have been questioned. A review in The New York Times concluded that the author’s “… case is long and heavily documented, and yet he does not demonstrate that I.B.M. bears some unique or decisive responsibility for the evil that was done.” Another assessment of the book by a well-regarded academic expert called the original charges “implausible” and the book “deplorable.””

    see Addendum to IBM Statement on Nazi-era Book and Lawsuit

    We all know technology is abused in war and in peace. IBM did not do the abusing. There was nothing legally or ethically wrong with IBM providing technology to Germany. What the Germans did with it was normal business, a census. What they did with the census data was wrong but IBM had nothing to do with that.

    Stop spreading your FUD here.

  41. That Exploit Guy says:

    @Satipera

    ‘For goodness sake you know what @Pogson was getting at and you take a cheap Holocaust pop at him.’

    Let me make this very clear for you.

    Crime against humanity is the consciously sales of punch cards and readers to a fascist regime for the purporse of mass muder.

    Crime against humanity is not the creation and distribution of software to consumers.

    What is forgivable is a conviction that rates below corporate esponage.

    What is not forgivable is to outright take away the lives of millions of people for profit.

    The next time you say something about not using MS software because of “monopoly”, think about what IBM has done for monetary gain and how much you don’t care about it.

  42. Satipera says:

    @Thatexploitguy

    For goodness sake you know what @Pogson was getting at and you take a cheap Holocaust pop at him. That is opposition for oppositions sake.

  43. Chris Weig says:

    Attempting to stymie its growth is a crime against humanity in my opinion.

    Then you better notify the International Court of Justice. I’m kind of amazed that you couldn’t think of this very obvious solution yourself. I’m sure that Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates would have to go on trial very soon if you told the Court that they are bad, bad criminals.

    As for your deranged posts, they are a crime against humanity, too.

    You would have endorsed Hitler, had he only used FLOSS back then.

  44. That Exploit Guy says:

    @Robert Pogson

    ‘Amen. The idea that monopoly in IT is a good thing is mind-numbing.’

    Nevertheless, you have no trouble singing praises to IBM. That’s kind of a paradoxical stance you take here, don’t you think?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx9oOIpvyRU

    The above is a speech by Edwin Black, the author of “IBM and the Holocaust”. He was not just the person who correctly identified the Hollerith machine curated by the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, but he also, via the assistance of over a hundred researchers, uncovered evidence of IBM’s involvement at every stage of the systematic murder of six million Jews.

    You, on the other hand, thinks ‘crime against humanity’ involves hiring James Plamondon over ten years ago as a “technology evangelist” and selling a bunch of computers to consumers.

    Seriously, what’s wrong with you?

  45. Mongrol says:

    “Attempting to stymie its growth is a crime against humanity in my opinion.”

    A crime against humanity??

    You would equate criticism of software to the Holocaust? Apartheid? The Rwandan genocides?

    You need to get a sense of perspective.

  46. kozmcrae wrote, “Attempting to stymie its growth is a crime against humanity in my opinion. We’ve spent far too much time entertaining Microsoft. The economies are too stressed. It’s time to stop fooling around and get serious about FLOSS.”

    Amen. The idea that monopoly in IT is a good thing is mind-numbing. The idea that gurus at M$ hold all the answers is cult-think in the extreme. The world can and does make its own IT and does a better job. M$ needs exclusive dealing to keep its share but cracks in the plan are widening.

  47. kozmcrae says:

    Chris Weig wrote:

    “You people are pathetic little whiners who paint themselves as victims of some global conspiracy. Your rightful place is in the looney bin.”

    I can’t speak for other advocates of FLOSS but you can attack me all you want. I doesn’t make a damn bit of difference. FLOSS is a different story. Attempting to stymie its growth is a crime against humanity in my opinion. We’ve spent far too much time entertaining Microsoft. The economies are too stressed. It’s time to stop fooling around and get serious about FLOSS.

  48. Chris Weig says:

    Post 41. I’m going to leave your post just as it is. A shining example of Cult of Microsoft arrogance.

    No arguments? Typical Cult of FLOSS style.

    You people are pathetic little whiners who paint themselves as victims of some global conspiracy. Your rightful place is in the looney bin.

  49. kozmcrae says:

    Chris Weig wrote:

    “The majority of your posts doesn’t deal with IT at all.”

    Dear Chris, isn’t that what I’ve been saying? I’m not attacking The Cult of Microsoft for their lack of sticking to just the facts (the real facts), no, I’m attacking you for smearing FLOSS at every opportunity you get. That has nothing to do with IT now does it? And that’s what I’ve been saying all along. What the hell is wrong with your reading comprehension?

    Chris Weig wrote:

    Post 41.

    I’m going to leave your post just as it is. A shining example of Cult of Microsoft arrogance.

  50. That Exploit Guy says:

    ‘The iPhone is a high-priced premium product, and repairing it or doing any kind of maintenance is not so easy. But exactly that stimulates local business. Where I live not less than four iPhone Clinics (they, of course, also deal with other types of smartphones) have come into existence since the first iPhone was released. And they’re all making good money.’

    Somewhere Frédéric Bastiat is rolling in his grave right now. 😉

  51. Chris Weig says:

    An addendum, because this

    FLOSS is an economy amplifier.

    As is, for example, the iPhone 5. You were saying?

    could easily be misunderstood (deliberately):

    The iPhone is a high-priced premium product, and repairing it or doing any kind of maintenance is not so easy. But exactly that stimulates local business. Where I live not less than four iPhone Clinics (they, of course, also deal with other types of smartphones) have come into existence since the first iPhone was released. And they’re all making good money.

  52. Chris Weig says:

    FLOSS is a gift to the World

    Not true. A gift is not expected to be repaid. FLOSS is. In time, in money, in code. The act of putting up code on the net is never selfless. If it were the whole FLOSS ecosystem couldn’t work.

    Microsoft is doing their best trying to kill it.

    And how exactly can they kill an idea?

    They deserve no respect for that.

    No respect for what?

    FLOSS is deserving of all our respect.

    Why again? If I were to put up some code I’ve written in a hurry to itch one of my scratches, I’d deserve respect? That’s a strange thought.

    FLOSS is an economy amplifier.

    As is, for example, the iPhone 5. You were saying?

    Microsoft sucks money out of any organization it touches.

    Any organization is free to abandon Microsoft and has always been.

  53. Chris Weig says:

    Maybe I’m still here because I’m up front about my attitude towards those who come here to deface FLOSS. That’s an important distinction. Almost without fail, the Cult of Microsoft, and that is who you are, do not come here to discuss the facts about IT.

    What a self-righteous prick you are, kozmcrae. The majority of your posts doesn’t deal with IT at all. Your posts are just spam in which “Cult of Microsoft” is repeated over and over. And you’re still here not because you’re “up front”, you’re still here because Pogson shares your pathological Microsoft hatred.

    The Cult of FLOSS — as pitiful and deranged as ever. Your guru Stallman has taught you well.

  54. kozmcrae says:

    Mongrol wrote:

    “You openly disrespect people and you are _proud_ of that fact, yet you expect respect both for yourself and your cause.”

    You did not read, anywhere, that I expect respect for myself, not anywhere. Your new nym brings nothing new to this blog. You bring the same notions that all FLOSS advocates are zealots.

    FLOSS is a gift to the World, Microsoft is doing their best trying to kill it. They deserve no respect for that. FLOSS is deserving of all our respect. FLOSS is an economy amplifier. Microsoft sucks money out of any organization it touches.

    You come here and advocate for Microsoft and their friends. Why would you think you deserve respect for that? Your nym is new but you’ve been here all along otherwise you would not have said things like “Koz’s habitual use of “asshole”.” I think I’ve used it a half a dozen times. You may be confusing the one time I mangled one of your buddy’s nyms “TM Suppository”. What else would you call a little PITA?

    Update: About the use of the word “asshole” on Robert Pogson’s blog. kozmcrea is the worst offender (10 occurrences in the last year mostly clustered around this past summer.) with the Cult of Microsoft as a group a distant second. oiaohm was found to have one occurrence of the word. Though not exhaustive, the search, at least for my recollection should be pretty accurate. I don’t recall using it before this year. The good news is that, with the exception of me, the word doesn’t appear that much. I will endeavor to clean up my act and expurgate that word from my lexicon.

    The Cult of Microsoft has called me a lot of things, but I have always been straight with them, with everyone on this blog. Can they say the same?

  55. lpbbear says:

    “You are a zealot and a hypocrite.”

    Ahhh, some more of that constructive “criticism” eh?

    Pot

    Kettle

    Very Black

  56. Mongrol says:

    I read the linked comment, and a load of piffle it is too.

    You insult everyone who disagrees with your world view, and feel your preference for Free Software gives you carte blanche to do so.
    You cannot tell the difference between personal attacks and criticism, and so will always reply with personal attacks.
    You openly disrespect people and you are _proud_ of that fact, yet you expect respect both for yourself and your cause.

    You are a zealot and a hypocrite.

    Or you’re just a troll, and not a very good one.

  57. kozmcrae says:

    Mongrol (Our latest replacement nym.) wrote:

    “Check Kozmcrae’s posting history here sometime. Or Oiaohm’s. Or Dougman’s. Or your own.”

    See this: http://mrpogson.com/2012/08/27/if-you-pound-your-head-against-a-wall-for-two-years-and-nothing-happens-why-continue/#comment-95064

    Maybe I’m still here because I’m up front about my attitude towards those who come here to deface FLOSS. That’s an important distinction. Almost without fail, the Cult of Microsoft, and that is who you are, do not come here to discuss the facts about IT. No, you come here to spread lies and to promote uncertainty about FLOSS. That makes you less than civil. You are not worthy of being treated with respect in my opinion. I will not go on about it, read the link.

  58. That Exploit Guy says:

    ‘Of course, humans are genetically engineered, but unless he has a bionic implant, I doubt that assertion without some generator.’

    Perhaps, but that’s simply besides Oiaohm’s claim of “natural born” wifi jamming ability, isn’t it?

    If Google is anything to rely on in this particular subject, it is quite evident that Oiaohm believes he does not need a ‘generator’ of any kind to achieve the purported effect. Rather, according to his words, he believes that he himself is the ‘generator’.

    From the sixth result (your own blog):

    http://mrpogson.com/2012/09/02/christian-schaller-on-desktop-linux/

    ‘If you take my blood and introduce the chemicals a human produces when tense and some suger for fuel that alone is a radio jammer. Problem is freq targeted will be kind of random. This is just being biologically different. I am a natural born Jammer of particular frequencies. I lack 1 protein everyone else has and I have 2 proteins that no one-less has so far. The one miss protein normally causes a DNA illness the two extras counter it but cause some interesting side effects one being the jammer ablity. My jammer ability technically does not require my brain to work just the right mix of chemicals.’

    To me, it is clear that Oiaohm is claiming an innate, psychokinetic ability to interfere with radio signals via the protein (or lack thereof) within his body, and, in all honesty, I don’t see any difference between that and most of the stuff that crops up on JREF’s radar.

  59. That Exploit Guy wrote, “Oiaohm states that it is specifially his genetic make-up that gives him the ability to (allegedly) manipulate wifi signals at will and that his emotions are a contributing factor as to how much interference he can generate.”

    Of course, humans are genetically engineered, but unless he has a bionic implant, I doubt that assertion without some generator. Even I could turn a level control on a noise generator so I could “at will” drown out wifi. People angry at the world will do all kinds of outrageous things.

  60. Mongrol says:

    “Not so. These folks were insulting to everyone. Their mothers must have taught them manners.”

    In some cases, their mothers did a better job than yours. “Go XXXX yourself” – remember that? I note you give no examples of their “insulting everyone.”

    Meanwhile, genuinely insulting specimens post whatever the hell they like, and get away with it.

    “They should know the consequences of annoying people. In school yards, they get beat up.”

    Am I to understand you advocate PHYSICAL VIOLENCE against people who annoy you?

    “Very few people argue with me because they usually don’t have a leg to stand on.”

    Don’t make me laugh, Robert. You’ve had your head handed to you on more occasions than you’ll ever admit. Those that handed it over are no longer allowed to post on this blog. Amicus Curious and DrLoser being two examples.

  61. That Exploit Guy says:

    ‘Humans make pretty decent antennae or absorbers for radio waves though.’

    You are still missing the point. Oiaohm states that it is specifially his genetic make-up that gives him the ability to (allegedly) manipulate wifi signals at will and that his emotions are a contributing factor as to how much interference he can generate. None of this has anything to do with the human body itself being a radio wave absorber or antenna. It is, rather, an extraordinary claim thoroughly unfounded in established biochemical theories, and I am not seeing any extraordinary (or even just ordinary) scientific proof to substantiate any of it. I’ll even go as far as to saying that all this is nothing but a load of pseudoscientifc woo-woo, and it is downright shameful that a student of science such as yourself is seen to be so eager to jump into its defense without any regard to the scientific process.

  62. oiaohm wrote, “Human body naturally produces so much electro magnetic noise”

    True, but even with attached electrodes, it’s millivolts and very low frequency. Humans make pretty decent antennae or absorbers for radio waves though. I was in one school where a link between buildings was flaky. It turned out to be reflections/blocking by school buses in the front. When the buses lined up at the beginning or end of the day the link failed. It took a while to figure out but I put my head near the wireless access point in my lab and looked towards the other antenna. The buses were big mirrors very close to the path… All kinds of objects interfere with wifi. That’s why we have multiple channels and antennae to try to keep a route open in space/time to maintain the link but it’s not hard to mess with it if people can get close. It’s helpful to put antennae up high out of the way of filing cabinets, people and desks.

    The most amazing example of human interference for me was a school where I had covered the campus with two well-sighted access-points. One day, I was informed that coverage had failed. I immediately tried to connect to the access-point by Ethernet and failed. I walked over to the classroom where the access-point had been taped to the centre of a large window and it was gone… We had cut off student-access after hours (not my policy, the PHB) and they solved the problem. It would have been amusing except I had only one spare. A repeat would have put half the campus off-line. We had good copper in most of the building but wifi covered the dead zones and the out-buildings.

  63. oiaohm says:

    Mongrol lot of the times people are calling me out with out of date information or non research information that take a split second to confirm as such.

    Not everyone who challenges me I call a idiot or incompetent. There are things you should know when you are particular levels.

    That Exploit Guy technically what I do is not psychic ability. You would not call an electric eel psychic even that its ability is partly emotion controlled. Yes by ability is in the class of electric eel.

    Human body naturally produces so much electro magnetic noise. DNA difference makes my body more electro magnetic noisy than the average and stronger. Yes the human body electro magnetic noise alters with emotion this is normal. James Randi Education Foundation prize does not apply to my kind of ability.

    –paranormal, supernatural, or occult power– Mine is technically none of those. Its just like someone who has the dna to run fast. I just have the DNA to put off enough electro magnetic noise to jam particular things. This is not paranormal, supernatural or occult. This is just being on the edge of what human is. If you do study electro magnetic noise humans put you you will find there is variation in the population. Some put out very little and some like me put out a lot. Most people are like in the centre of the bell curve.

    Proper psychic ability has more control that what I do. Mine suggest that the DNA for psychic ability might exist. But does not prove its existence.

    That Exploit Guy this is why I call people idiots. I talk about the reality and people go o that has to be psychic ability.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_psychic_abilities

    What I do its not psychic. Its normal human just due to minor difference I am on in the upper edge of the bell curve for its effects. Basically what you are doing to me is like saying that Usain Bolt has a psychic ability because it can run so fast. For running speed he is just in the upper edge of the bell curve. I am just on the upper edge of the bell curve for produced electromagnetic noise from human. To jam you don’t need control just enough noise to hide the signal. Yes an electric eel puts me to shame the noise it can generate is impressive.

    Really most people don’t understand what human can do or what there body does do. So as soon as a person has an ability at the edge of the bell curve they have to have magic or be lieing. It cannot be true. I have told you how it works if you had done your homework on electromagnetic noise from humans you would have found out what I talk about is only rare not magic. Mind you a rare ability is still useful. Its like people who can wiggle ears.

  64. Mongrol wrote, “Robert has banned people for “insults” with no warnings, no requests to tone things down or to be civil. They were banned because they argued with him.”

    Not so. These folks were insulting to everyone. Their mothers must have taught them manners. They should know the consequences of annoying people. In school yards, they get beat up. Here they get banned. I just don’t have time for personal attacks. It’s a lot of work to read their trash-talking. I tired of it. Very few people argue with me because they usually don’t have a leg to stand on. It would be cruel to ban cripples for that.

    In the real world people disagree. That is normal and I accept it like I accept that oldman thinks everyone is like him and carries around every version of that other OS ever produced so he can run his favourite apps and never gets malware despite having run an OS with gaping vulnerabilities for many years.

  65. Mongrol says:

    “I would suggest either turning off all comments unless approved by you specifically”

    Robert has banned people for “insults” with no warnings, no requests to tone things down or to be civil. They were banned because they argued with him.

    Freedom of speech, FSF-style.

    “I personally don’t mind actual discussion even if its coming from an opposing reasonable viewpoint but most of these Cult Of Microsoft types are nowhere close to being reasonable let alone rational.”

    And what happens when it’s your side of the argument not being rational or reasonable?

    “Cult of Microsoft” for a start. Koz’s habitual use of “asshole”. Robert telling a poster to go XXXX himself Oiaohm calling anyone who calls him out an idiot. You are surpised when people reply in kind? And don’t claim as Koz does, that you are provoked. That’s complete nonsense, as anyone reading a thread with him in it can see.

    “Most of them have repeatedly shown themselves to be rude, arrogant, condescending pricks.”

    Check Kozmcrae’s posting history here sometime. Or Oiaohm’s. Or Dougman’s. Or your own.

  66. That Exploit Guy says:

    @Ippbear

    ‘except of course for the part about Oldman being incredibly informative. I can only read “bushwah” so many times before I nod off’

    So, are you saying that the validity of purported facts is not irrelevant to your interests?

    @Chris Weig

    ‘I nominate kozmcrae and oiaohm.’

    Speaking of oiaohm, I think someone needs to mention the $1 mil challenge offered by the James Randi Education Foundation in response to his purported, psychic ability to manipulate wifi signals:

    http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

    I am willing to also volunteer to contact JREF on his behalf as long as he agrees to accept the challenge.

    The rest is up to you, oiaohm.

  67. lpbbear says:

    “Implement that and give your users the power to decide what they want to read.”

    Riiiiight….then watch as your bandwidth usage skyrockets and your blog is deluged with these losers.

  68. Chris Weig says:

    Well, you see, there’s an easy solution for such a problem. Usenet clients have been employing it for ages. Yes, I’m talking about the venerable

    killfile!

    Implement that and give your users the power to decide what they want to read.

  69. lpbbear says:

    “I am the sole person running this blog. I was becoming a bottleneck just examining the SPAM queue. I have better things to do with my life. I could turn comments off completely but the bannings are good too.”

    I would suggest either turning off all comments unless approved by you specifically or, if the option is available, only allowing authors you approve of to comment after they have shown they can participate without being obnoxious.

    I personally don’t mind actual discussion even if its coming from an opposing reasonable viewpoint but most of these Cult Of Microsoft types are nowhere close to being reasonable let alone rational. Most of them have repeatedly shown themselves to be rude, arrogant, condescending pricks. I have had similar experiences to yours in the past running servers where there were users abusing the privileges they were allowed by the admin. I learned early on that even though I would like to be able to allow freedom of expression not every one visiting has the courtesy to respect others. Many of these COM visitors have been abusing your generosity for quite a while. Its your site, your server, you make the rules. If they can’t respect that you are completely right to get rid of them by whatever method you deem appropriate. I support any change you feel works and certainly won’t miss their (COM) digital garbage should you decide to tighten things ups here.

  70. Mongrol wrote, “Well done on taking those first steps on the slippery slope to this blog’s irrelevance.”

    I am the sole person running this blog. I was becoming a bottleneck just examining the SPAM queue. I have better things to do with my life. I could turn comments off completely but the bannings are good too. This blog has been around five years now and since I decided to work at it traffic has increased 7000%. I cannot see it becoming irrelevant as long as I live or until */Linux is found on every retail shelf and in every home. The second condition is rapidly coming true but I don’t see it killing my joy at seeing IT that works for people.

    It may happen that I may turn my energy to other matters but this blog will remain relevant to me if no one else. It has the best price/performance for me to share my ideas with the world. I do post on Google+ occasionally but WordPress works better for me. With GNU/Linux it costs very little to set up a server.

  71. Mongrol says:

    Removing posts? Banning users for arguing with you?

    Well done on taking those first steps on the slippery slope to this blog’s irrelevance.

  72. Chris Weig says:

    Thorsten Rahn is TM Repository’s alter ego.

    Koz is on a trip again, thinks that the “M$ shills” are just one person.

    Back to your padded cell!

  73. Adm Fubar says:

    Well Bob, now i’m disappointed in ya! (not) i so enjoyed laughing at their posts… 😛

  74. lpbbear says:

    “My proposal is this: all opponents of Robert’s point of view (including the incredibly informative and rational ‘Oldman’) all leave and never come back.”

    I second that! Wow, finally something worth reading from the Cult Of Microsoft. (except of course for the part about Oldman being incredibly informative. I can only read “bushwah” so many times before I nod off)

    (apparently Windows users have a hard time telling the difference between i, I, L, and l and maybe even 1. Must be that all inspiring awesome OS again))

  75. schmodme wrote, “Within six months this place will be too uninteresting for anyone else and the three will eventually get bored and the blog will close.”

    The vast majority of visitors never comment and numbers are growing rapidly.

  76. Ivan says:

    Do you light up a cigarette after the ego stroking?

  77. Chris Weig wrote, “His last blog post will be made on the deathbed:”

    Odds are good that the heart will give out suddenly and I won’t make it to bed. Very few of my relatives stroke out.

  78. schmodme wrote, “who couldn’t continue teaching in the public school system because he became irrelevant due to not keeping up with the pace of technology”.

    Not at all. I don’t have B.Ed. after my name. That’s compulsory these days even though I have way more credits than most teachers.

  79. Adam King says:

    A person’s will on the question of whether or not they should accept GNU/Linux is irrelevant. They will thank you in the end.

  80. schmodme says:

    Ah, but you underestimate our dear friend, Robert Pogson. He is pure. He writes for the sake of it. And he believes he’s doing a good deed.

    Robert’s a bitter old man who couldn’t continue teaching in the public school system because he became irrelevant due to not keeping up with the pace of technology but also (and more importantly) because he has turned FOSS into a religion that he attempts to interject into everyone else’s lives, whether they ask for it or not.

  81. Chris Weig says:

    Within six months this place will be too uninteresting for anyone else and the three will eventually get bored and the blog will close.

    Ah, but you underestimate our dear friend, Robert Pogson. He is pure. He writes for the sake of it. And he believes he’s doing a good deed. His last blog post will be made on the deathbed:

    Where’s this damn Genesis device when you need it?! Damn you, Microsoft. Damn you! Aaaaaargh … FADE TO BLACK.

    Will his son then pick up the mantle?

  82. Chris Weig says:

    Then why are you still here, dougman? Right, because you belong to the Cult of FLOSS. Hypocrisy 101.

  83. schmodme says:

    My proposal is this: all opponents of Robert’s point of view (including the incredibly informative and rational ‘Oldman’) all leave and never come back.

    Within a week it will be pee-pee-bear, Ham Sandwich and Robert stroking each others’ e-peens. Within six months this place will be too uninteresting for anyone else and the three will eventually get bored and the blog will close.

    So let’s all help Robert out by attempting to demonstrate how much fun it is when you ‘take your baseball mitt, bat, and equipment home’ like a spoiled little child.

    :O

  84. dougman says:

    Often times its beneficial to cull the herd.

    As the Pareto Principle states that 20% of your users provides 80% of the content.

  85. schmodme says:

    So what you’re saying is that you’ve banned 30% of your user base?

  86. Chris Weig says:

    Why don’t you ban some of the Cult of FLOSS trolls on this blog? I nominate kozmcrae and oiaohm.

  87. fuquit says:

    *yawn* Tits or GTFO

  88. kozmcrae says:

    Thorsten Rahn is TM Repository’s alter ego.

  89. lpbbear says:

    WooHoo! Good riddance.

  90. apollo says:

    Weak move, Mr. Pogson, weak move. If you so dislike some comments from people who dare to oppose you, you should simply disallow comments altogether. Especially as some of your posts are so out there (perhaps deliberately?) as to practically beg for juicy comments.

  91. Conzo says:

    Wow, must feel like a big boy now …

Leave a Reply