Tablets Killing Desktop PCs

No matter how much loyalists tout the essential nature of desktop PCs, consumers are buying tablets in place of them. My local Walmart had not a single desktop PC set up when I last visited. It was all notebooks, tablets and smart phones…

“Looking back over the six months from January to July, and to the equivalent six-month periods in the previous five years, the contraction in sales of desktop tower PCs is very evident.”

see Tablets keep UK IT's head above water • Reg Hardware.

16 Responses to Tablets Killing Desktop PCs

1. ch wrote, “no further need for Linux (except on the absolut cheapest machines)”

Acer and ASUS both still ship Linux and doing so does reduce the cost of production of machines so they can and do offer lower prices.

2. Thorsten Rahn says:

Thorsten Rahn the Troll, deflects from the subject matter while CH the Troll thinks I failed basic reading and comprehension.

Deflecting? No. I just aptly demonstrated to you that you cannot take Google’s search results literally. Yet you do. What you fail to understand is this:

A Google search is not useful for answering qualitative questions. Google spitting out so-and-so-much pages for “microsoft sucks”, “linux sucks” etc. doesn’t really tell one if there’s any truth behind that. In line with Google’s page rank algorithm it only tells you how much interest there is concerning a search. Consequently, the aforementioned search results tell us that there really isn’t much interest with regards to Microsoft and bribes. It’s a topic which doesn’t generate much debate, mostly due to the fact that you would have to present arguments and evidence. And we all know that whiny tech “journalists” can’t really bring forth any of those two things, all they can bring forth are anecdotes and made-up stories about how Microsoft allegedly tries to influence others to treat them preferably.

So, yes, I do think that you actually failed basic reading and comprehension. But don’t worry. In the future I will make extensive use of smiley symbols to mark sarcasm and irony.

3. ch says:

“Thorsten Rahn the Troll, deflects from the subject matter”

writes Dougman, after deflecting from the subject matter: The claim from finalzone was that MS specifically bribed Asus and Acer not to install Linux on their netbooks, which is wrong. So since you couldn’t dispute that, you deflected to MS behaviour in general (which wasn’t the issue).

“while CH the Troll thinks I failed basic reading and comprehension.”

Try to prove me wrong on this one by answering my question: Where did I state “that M$ does no wrong” ?

Searching for “microsoft” and “sucks”: about 27,300,000 results.

So M$ sucks more? Ahhh, good observation!

5. Thorsten Rahn says:

Which bribes? Educating store personnel and “journalists” can only be of benefit to the customer. The sheer dumbness of store personnel in big retail chains and “journalists” (mainly bloggers) is sometimes unbelievable. Microsoft have a right to have their product properly represented.

Anyway, when you find sites like Slashdot on the first page of search results, you already know that this is about paranoia, geek angst, and hating Microsoft for old time’s sake.

And when we’re talking about Google as the “truth” machine, consider this:

– Searching for “microsoft” and “bribed”: about 1,450,000 results.
    -Searching for “linux” and “sucks”: about 13,300,000 results.

I guess the latter results all come from people Microsoft has bribed.

Go, Linux!

6. ch says:

“CH the Troll states, that M$ does no wrong.”

Where exactly did I state anything like that? Please learn to read.

CH the Troll states, that M$ does no wrong.

Meanwhile, a cursory review with Google shows otherwise:

Makes you wonder, if their crap was so good, then why the need to bribe to begin with?

8. ch says:

“Have you forgotten how Microsoft bribed Acer, Asus to name a few to not release Linux based netbook in 2009?”

It’s hard to forget something that didn’t happen.

The reason why Acer and Asus put Linux on their first netbooks was to force MS to give them a cheaper windows – and one that could run well in the 1GB of Netbooks. So in the end MS gave them first XP and then the “Starter” edition of Windows. Problem solved, no further need for Linux (except on the absolut cheapest machines).

9. Finalzone says:

10. Thorsten Rahn says:

Notebooks, tablets and smart phones is like 80% of what customers ask for, if they want my assistance with picking equipment.

Well, Linux has lost on notebooks, too. And it will stay that way. Windows 8 has a good chance to increase its market share on tablets and smart phones, thanks to Android looking not so good due to a very unclear patent situation.

But believers will believe.

11. kozmcrae says:

Phenome wrote:

“You predict many things, Mr. Pogson. I am yet to witness at least one which came true.”

He predicted you’d stand in a forest. You protest that all you see are trees.

12. Phenom says:

Few desktops or servers, those typically go for SMBs.

14. Thorsten Rahn says:

Robert Pogson, still playing the “tablets are displacing PCs” game, ignoring that Linux has lost the war for the desktop (if there ever was one).

15. Phenom wrote, “And new tablets will be using 8”.

Wishful thinking. Correction: A few new tablets will be using “8”. They are just trial runs. Others with Android/Linux are in full production from many sources selling well into many markets. I predict a similar adoption as Phoney “7” received.