Christian Schaller on Desktop Linux

Christian Schaller has a well-reasoned response to MdI’s comments on the status of the GNU/Linux desktop. There are plenty of reasons why GNU/Linux is not on more desktops and monopoly/exclusive dealing is at the head of his list too. The other details are insignificant by comparison. Dell and others have no problem selling GNU/Linux desktops retail. Organizations large and small save a bundle migrating to GNU/Linux desktops. It’s not that hard. I found it much easier than struggling to keep that other OS running.

“I just think it is a lot slower slog to get there than we hoped for, and I do honestly feel that we have a much more compelling product to offer today than we did 10 years ago in comparison with Windows and MS Office. But the challenges in my bullet point list remain and overcoming them has been and will continue to be something we have to chip away at, one step at a time.”

see Christian Schaller, The challenges of Desktop Linux.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to Christian Schaller on Desktop Linux

1. oldman says:

“We can sort out who “everybody” is later.”

Impressive.

A true j@ck@ss in action.

2. kozmcrae says:

iLia wrote:

“Everybody does it.”

Your Honor, my client, Ted Bundy, would plead that he is not guilty of murdering dozens of women because, “many other serial killers have done the same thing before him”. That nonsense is basically the same as your nonsense.

No iLia, “Everybody does it.” doesn’t fly. All that means is that f*cking “everybody” is f*cking guilty!

We can sort out who “everybody” is later.

3. Thorsten Rahn says:

Linux world accepts when they screw up from time to time. Microsoft tries to sweep it under carpet.

That’s complete nonsense. There isn’t any more acceptance in the Linux world. It’s rather the case that the screw-up has been declared normal by the constant reference to open development processes (public source code access, public mailing lists etc.). The suggestion is that screw-ups basically can’t happen because the development processes are open, and someone else will catch any screw-up very soon, precisely because the processes are open.

So the Linux world has, in fact, a much bigger carpet where things can be swept under. Because if screw-ups happen, they can’t have been anyone’s fault, as everything happened publicly. Incidentally, the many-eyes-hypothesis is soundly defeated by the mere fact that screw-ups still happen in the Linux world. The whole openness is a mighty fine way to hide screw-ups.

And there’s another big problem: in the Linux world screw-ups, however big or small, seldom have real consequences.

It’s just another example of amazing self-delusion.

4. iLia says:

These are called FLOSS zealots.

5. iLia says:

As a matter of fact, Microsoft loves to break standards

Everybody does it, when some company or community implements some standard, they usually extend it a little bit, and thus break compatibility with other products, you wanna some examples? No problem! GNU compilers with their extensions, GNUStep and I can continue ad nauseum, everybody does it, even Linux distributions.

oldman “Remember Hamster, under the Volume and Select license agreements I have access to iso images of so clalled obsolete versions of windows along with downgrade rights to any version of windows that I wish – I only need to make sure that I have a license that is a close equivalent to what I am downgrading to (e.g. a windows 8 ultimate license can be downgraded to windows 7 ultimate or below).”

The plan is simple. You want to run current and prior you deploy 2 license per machine. Either way Microsoft is still paid. They don’t lose doing this evil. At worst they get more money. Microsoft will play it under the security card.

oldman
    –So we stay put and scream like hell, and being the paying customers Microsoft will listen, and will “accommodate user feedback”–
    They have given you 4 years notice+. You scream like hell you still have to pay them if you stay Microsoft. Only those who sections of thee desktop are Linux will be able to get MS attention in any way shape or form.

oldman
    –And the linux desktop will STILL go nowhere!–

When will you give this up. You cannot have repeated reported migrations that complete and remain in usage and it be go nowhere. Logic does not allow it oldman. As an IT officer you should know logic well but when it comes to Linux Desktop you seam to be lack it.

The pace might be slow but there is movement. Linux Desktop is with question moving. All the evidence to the fact shows it.

Lots of thing you say oldman have no logical base to them. They are your own bias options.

iLia
    “lacking guilt — debian-openssl? So what?”
    You better look at Microsoft for this one. MD5 cracked years ago. Windows update system still using it. Debian openssl was a build error. Microsoft provide encryption services have also done the same.

Really if I spent my time on Psychopathy I could make a list for Microsoft as well. Most businesses are Psychopathy at core. FOSS just does not hide this reality from the world under fancy people called marketers.

7. kozmcrae says:

Thorsten Rahn wrote:

“If you think that then you don’t understand Robert Pogson at all. This blog is about two things:…”

The problem you face Thorsten is that Microsoft supplies a never ending list of anti social, anti competitive and downright nasty acts against the World.

As a matter of fact, Microsoft loves to break standards. That just creates a terrible mess for everybody. As a matter of fact, Microsoft has used its position in the PC market to kill competitors products (Netscape, Word Perfect).

Reporting these aggressions against the World may look like hate to someone like you. And you can’t just call it business as usual unless you call convicted monopolist usual.

Now I’ll offer my opinion. Microsoft is a huge company with a lot of power, money, influence and an inferiority complex. That’s a bad combination. They’ve always been able to buy their way into the public’s heart. Microsoft has spent more on marketing than on technology. Only one out of nine employees are actual coders. Buying their way to success instead of winning it through better technology must have left a hollow ring to it.

The hype for Windows 8 has already started as I have predicted. Not much of a prediction really. This is Microsoft’s marketing machine by the book. The rave reviews will increase as the release date approaches. Then we will see a huge spike in sales/installations. Possibly even the biggest release of a Microsoft OS since Windows 95! It will look fantastic… on paper.

I have no doubts that Microsoft has already cooked the books to ensure a good quarter for the release of Windows 8 no matter what actually happens. But slowly, inevitably, the rot will sink in.

8. Thorsten Rahn confuses motivation with subject matter when he wrote, “This blog is about two things:

1. Hating Microsoft.
    2. Proving that Linux is better everywhere and for everyone.”

Hatred of M$ is just one of many motivators. All my life, before M$ even existed, I have strived to find better ways/technology to do things. I am a technological sponge and GNU/Linux and FLOSS are just two of dozens of technologies I have encountered and love. Other technologies about which I am passionate are photography, firearms, ammunition, hunting, welding, electronics, growing stuff, cooking and eating stuff, … M$ is a tiny part of my world these days.

GNU/Linux is provably pretty good and great for many purposes like IT in schools and I can’t think of any place where GNU/Linux is not good but there may well be some niches where some other software may be better. The wide adoption of GNU/Linux in every area of IT supports the hypothesis that GNU/Linux is excellent. The lack of adoption on the desktop is due to many factors, most of which have nothing to do with suitability but anti-competitive behaviours of M$ and “partners”. GNU/Linux thrives in many countries and regions and activities on a global scale.

9. Thorsten Rahn says:

1. Hating Microsoft.
    2. Proving that Linux is better everywhere and for everyone.

That goes directly against your statement that “[t]here are problems with both platforms”. After you’ve read Robert Pogson’s posts you can’t help but get the impression that Linux has no problems, Windows has all the problems, and that Microsoft belongs to the axis of evil together with North Korea. Every accusation against Linux on this blog — however justified — is quickly and swiftly dismissed by the local FLOSS police.

You saying that “[t]here are problems with both platforms” is just hot air. It’s the kind of alibi statement one does make if one wants to suggest willingness to compromise.

10. iLia says:

You should be grateful to tmrepository.com for it

11. iLia says:

Psychopathy – a personality disorder that has been variously described as characterized by
    shallow emotions

(in particular reduced fear), — we are not afraid of Microsoft!

stress tolerance — it is really important when your favored OS has so much bugs

lacking empathy — fix it yourself

coldheartedness — it works for me

lacking guilt — debian-openssl? So what?

egocentricity — I use Linux, I use Linux, I use Linux

superficial charm — just take a look on these nice KDE/Unity screenshots

manipulativeness — use Linux, use Open Source, don’t compare them with real software,

irresponsibility — Why you didn’t fixed this bug three yeas ago? — And why I should care? No one pays me for doing it

nonplanfulness — Lunus he is such a git

impulsivity — let’s rewrite the project from the scratch.

and antisocial behaviors such as

— installing Linux wherever it is possible
    — an endless stream of gratuitous imaginary vicious public insults

parasitic lifestyle — when you have to fix, fix and fix Linux there is no time for job or for learning some useful technology, that can help you earn some money

and

criminality — are spreading of BS about Linux and unstoppable lies about MS a crime?

12. iLia says:

ILia was not.

Never had problems with Internet access.

No, wait! I had! A long time ago when win-modems were everywhere I installed Linux, and you know what? No drivers — no Internet access. I wasn’t happy 🙁

13. The other thing is that GNU/Linux is not out to get you or to kill competition. Hating the cooperative work of the world is the behaviour of a psycopath or paranoid person. Get over it. FLOSS is not out to get you.

Psychopathy“a personality disorder that has been variously described as characterized by shallow emotions (in particular reduced fear), stress tolerance, lacking empathy, coldheartedness, lacking guilt, egocentricity, superficial charm, manipulativeness, irresponsibility, nonplanfulness, impulsivity, and antisocial behaviors such as parasitic lifestyle and criminality.”

M$ has the stated goal of taking over the world and making people pay M$ for nothing so they are to be hated appropriately.

Hate – ” To have a great aversion to, with a strong desire that evil should befall the person toward whom the feeling is directed; to dislike intensely; to detest; as, to hate one’s enemies; to hate hypocrisy.
    [1913 Webster]”

14. kozmcrae says:

@ldman wants to know why hating Linux makes one a less believable advocate for Linux. I’m not sure where to start with that. Maybe that hating is active instead of passive. Someone who hates Linux will be looking for reasons not to use it and will be unconsciously or otherwise advocating for using something else.

You could argue that having no love for Linux would make you more unbiased. But that doesn’t lead to a conclusion that most of the statements made by Linux advocates are unreliable.

There are problems with both platforms (Microsoft vs GNU/Linux and FLOSS). Switching from one to the other is a trade off of problems. Advocating for one platform is advocating for the advantages of that platform and not for the problems, obviously. Most of the people who post on this blog are aware of the advantages and problems with both platforms. I would surmise, in spite of what some have declared, that all of us use the platform we do out of free will.

The primary focus of the dialog on this blog seems to be where the market is with regard to both platforms and where it is going. I think it’s safe to say that

1: It is a very different market than it was 10 years ago, and again from what it was even 5 years ago. and

2: It’s changing at an accelerating rate.

Those two attributes favor entrepreneurship and new technologies and are a crushing weight to the status quo. There should be no argument here about which platform is which.

15. iLia wrote, about FLOSS, “hate, anger”.

Take a look at these faces…

and these results

Did I mention that the blog visits are growing at the rate of 300% per annum since then? The middle image is a wall of old PCs rescued from Lose ’98 by GNU/Linux. Students went from needing permission to visit the lab down the hall to having web access and local computing close at hand. They were happy. I was happy. ILia was not.

16. oldman says:

“oldman really you need to sit down and watch the WPC 2011 videos. MS plan is nice for them. Nasty for everyone else.”

I’ve seen the videos, and frankly they don’t even phase me.

Why?

Because microsoft has pulled things like this before, only to back off when the customers screamed.

But such a situation will only happen if the proposed changes are a total debacle. If microsoft its ISV’s convert their applications to the new interface successfully, and enable them to offer new function and feature that is unique to the applications they will succeed, or they are going to have to keep around the legacy environment for a while. the nonsense of hyper-v and an extra copy is just that – nonsense. Microsoft is not going to be able to get away with screwing its customer base, and it that customer base feels too screwed, they will simply freeze in place – stopping the flow of MONEY to microsoft.

And as you have noted – money talks.

And the linux desktop will STILL go nowhere!

And you will still be doing construction in the middle of nowhere and making believe you are actually in IT.

17. oldman says:

“Hating Linux just makes you less believable. ”

Why?

18. iLia says:

If you want eliminate uncertainty about FLOSS just install some desktop Linux, and there will be no uncertainty about FLOSS, just hate, anger and a little compassion towards linuxoids who still use it.

19. kozmcrae says:

Comment by kozmcrae

Thorsten Rahn wrote:

“Linux earns me money. And I can hate it. That’s a win-win situation for me.”

No you idiot, that’s a win-hate situation for you. You’re as dumb as a bag of hammers. I’m not making a distinction between hating something and enjoying hating something. It appears that your relationship with Linux falls into the latter category.

There’s really not much sense in trying to debate with you. There’s the normal Cult of Microsoft brick wall of anti-logic and with you there’s this weird relationship you have with Linux. Using Linux doesn’t make your experience with it anymore believable than the next guys. Hating Linux just makes you less believable.

I don’t know what you expect to accomplish here Thorsten but if it’s to introduce uncertainty about FLOSS you’ve already blown it. Your words carry no weight at all.

20. Clarence Moon wrote, of desktop GNU/Linux, “If ever it is encountered, it is presented as a bottom of the line substitute for a “real” PC.”

That is inconsistent with facts:

21. organisations who install GNU/Linux often find it gives good IT at lower cost,
  22. it’s a best-seller at Walmart.com.br
  23. people do expect good (ie low) prices for PCs
  24. So, welcome to the real world. On retail shelves, one can find PCs with GNU/Linux in all price-ranges. ZAreason etc. charge premium prices as well they should. The value of that other OS is negative IMHO so it is worth more to buy a PC pre-installed of GNU/Linux. OTOH, in a competitive market OEMs may well offer GNU/Linux as a price-advantage at the low-end. Whatever works.