Apple Slides Further on Walmart’s Best-selling Tablets

Walmart’s Best-sellers for 2012-7-26:

Rank Item Price
1 Pandigital White R7T40WWHF1 Novel with WiFi 7.0″ Touchscreen Tablet PC Featuring Android OS with Bonus 4GB microSD Card $59.98
2 Pandigital R7T40WWHF1 Novel with WiFi 7.0″ Touchscreen Tablet PC Featuring Android Operating System, White $59.98
3 Visual Land Connect Android 4.0 Internet Tablet 7″ Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen 8GB Memory $99.00
4 Pandigital Multimedia Novel R90A200 9″ 2GB Android OS Black $69.98
5 Double Power T-708 with WiFi 7″ Capacitive Multi-Touch screen Tablet PC Featuring Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) Operating System $99.99
6 NABI 2 with WiFi 7″ Touchscreen Kids Tablet PC Featuring Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) Operating System $199.99
7 Ematic EGL25BL 7″ Touchscreen Android 4.0 Tablet with 4GB Memory $79.99
8 Asus Nexus 7 ASUS-1B16 with WiFi 7″ Touchscreen Tablet PC Featuring Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) Operating System $249.99
9 Lepan TC970 9.7″ 1GHz 2GB Android 2.2 (Froyo) OS $149.00
10 Velocity Micro Cruz T301 T301-2G 7″ 2GB Android 2.2 OS $69.00
11 Apple iPad 2 with Wi-Fi (Black, 16GB) $399.00

Notice the conspicuous absence of M$ in that list. They do have a tablet with that other OS but it is well down the list, at 40th spot. There are 110 tablets on the list.

People are loving small cheap computers and choice at Walmart, even in USA, M$’s home country.

14 Responses to Apple Slides Further on Walmart’s Best-selling Tablets

1. JW says:

Robert Pogson, I don’t have a Apple store in my rural town. I do have a WalMart. However I bought my 2011 iPad the same place I just bought my mid-2012 Ivy Bridge Macbook Air..at the Apple store online. I then tracked both purchases as they left the Communist China factory to my front door. I buy most of my books from the Kindle Store or Amazon books. I watch movies via Netflix. I read tech webpages. I subscribe to netcasts. Yes Robert, you don’t have to have a local store for many things these days. When my older relatives want to buy something they call upon those of us in the family that do access Internet.

2. oldman says:

“This is your stupid problem oldman you think because someone is working rural that they are not highly qualified.”

Again, I have no problem. I just don’t think you have any right to speak as if your corner case is the world. And the fact is most of the “skills” that you profess to have are IMHO almost totally irrelevant to IT almost everywhere else.

oldman
    “A corner case IMHO that still represents a miniscule market for hicks like you.”

Funny and stupid at the same time. Where else is it important one of the largest markets third world countries. Why they may not be able to afford a phone plan may want to carry a phone to look important yet with the tech the phone can do something useful still instead of being just bling.

This market has more physical population than the Developed world combined. So miniscule market my ass is a huge market. In fact is larger than the USA market on possible income.

Oldman you have not been in the world where the majority of the world population is. So features that are truly important to future market shares don’t even appear important to you.

Clarence Moon
    “Apple promotes its overall ecology with results oriented advertising and thus builds a very loyal base of customers.”

Currently most Apple users are not that. There was a gap in the market and Apple market share is bigger than it will be long term.

Clarence Moon
    “People will buy a product to fill a perceived need. The selling points for Kindles are different than the selling points for iPads. The big tablets compete with the iPad and mostly try to be a lower priced solution for the mundane uses of such devices.”
    What is stopping the 100 dollar devices from getting a 10 inch screen and the processor power to compete head to head with an ipad long term.

“Google’s main line of business is selling advertising and they don’t seem to be able to get around that, so Android people only have their own imagination to fall back on and the image becomes cloudy without any focus.”
    Same was true for the age of MS-Dos.

“The low price producers end up leaving the user high and dry and dependent on Google for new ideas.”

Really a lot of androids new ideas come from mods done by third parties outside google to scratch a need.

oldman
    “if the environment that you choose to work in is that dangerous I question why you wish to work there at all.”

Pay is good and I enjoy it. I have the skill to work else where. Some people like safe. Some people don’t. I like the challenge. In fact you are not qualified to do my work I know that.

This is your stupid problem oldman you think because someone is working rural that they are not highly qualified. I could choose to take up a city job any day of the week. Just transfer inside company. Problem is replacements to me would take time so I would have to wait 18months to 2 years for someone else to get qualified todo my job min.

4. Clarence Moon says:

Wrong. You will likely never know why you are wrong, since you think that you understand the user without actually being a user yourself. That attitude is the root of your ignorance and will doom you to constant frustration if not corrected.

Apple promotes its overall ecology with results oriented advertising and thus builds a very loyal base of customers. The low price producers end up leaving the user high and dry and dependent on Google for new ideas. Google’s main line of business is selling advertising and they don’t seem to be able to get around that, so Android people only have their own imagination to fall back on and the image becomes cloudy without any focus.

5. oldman says:

“I find oldman a joke. A possible life saving feature is a geek toy. Apparently oldman does not value his life.”

The likelihood that I will be in the situation My life is not going to be saved by a geeked up tablet is miniscule sir. ANd frankly, if the environment that you choose to work in is that dangerous I question why you wish to work there at all.

Unless of course you are not qualified to work anywhere else.

“Not a major selling point to a city slicker.”

Actually not a major selling point at all IMHO. The number of people in either rural or urban areas who can or want to take advantage of this are miniscule and probably limited to backwoods bumpkins like your self.

” The means to extend phone network coverage is a highly useful feature in rural areas.

The feature is about protecting ones life and others life at times.”

A corner case IMHO that still represents a miniscule market for hicks like you.

Clarence Moon
    “That market is sub-divided as well, but it does not impact on the iPad at all.”

This was said about MS-DOS machines and Apple over Desktop Publishing.

Yes white box venders not being in store so apple would not have to compete with them…..

Yes history repeat you are too young and stupid to know that a market is never truly sub-divided.

There is a need that must be serviced. There are 10 inch white box equal android tablets out there that are more powerful than Galaxy and ASUS 10″ tablets at about half the price.

Your normal physical retail will be the last to stock these in large numbers. Almost 50 percent of tablet purchases are on-line not physical retail.

You argument Clarence Moon has no historic event standing. History says that ipad is at risk as these cheaper solutions get more powerful. There is a point of near enough is good enough.

Question is how long before a 100 dollar tablet will be near enough to being good enough that ipads are reduced to a limited segment of market.

Clarence Moon
    “My principal thesis, though, was that the $100 7″ tablet is not in the same product market as the iPad.”
    Basically this thesis has no history backing and is in fact false. If android and windows tablets did not exist people wanting to buy a tablet would have to buy apples right.

So these tablets are in the same market as ipad. Just the 100 dollar is service those who need less features. Yes there as a common product market between all tablets. You might say that a ipad and the other name brand androids are in the luxury price range. 100 dollar is in the poor mans price range.

Luxury products always end up sold in limited numbers when near enough is good enough happens. History of markets makes this almost a never broken rule.

7. Clarence Moon says:

Where the Hell do they buy them then?

Sorry MR. M. but Apple iPads and iPhones are available not only from my local Walmart but from Target at well.

I think my comment was misunderstood. I was simply agreeing with Pogson’s relative positioning of products at Walmart. People buy iPads from many vendors, of course, but they are not so popular with the Walmart shoppers apparently. I personally think that most of them are purchased directly from Apple, either in the many Apple stores in big cities or online. The 5 iPads in my extended family were all purchased from Amazon which provides free two day shipping and no sales tax collection.

As to competitor’s products, I have seen the Galaxy and ASUS 10″ tablets at Costco, but none of the cheapo models.

My principal thesis, though, was that the $100 7″ tablet is not in the same product market as the iPad. I thought I made that rather clear, but everyone seems so focused on prices! It matters not one whit whether the Android 7″ tablet is priced at $70, $100, or $199. That market is sub-divided as well, but it does not impact on the iPad at all.

People are not checking off a box that says “Tablet” by buying an Android device in order to get by on the cheap. A bunch of people here do not seem to understand that, but they are missing the market.

oldman
    “Thats nice, but IMHO the ability to play Geek games is not really a major selling point. The content that can be consumed is.”

Not a major selling point to a city slicker. The means to extend phone network coverage is a highly useful feature in rural areas.

The feature is about protecting ones life and others life at times.

batphone is a joke think a serval phone gets called because serval can be used by cavers and underground workers. Just drop phones and other android devices behind you and they mesh and you can call out to the outside since your call will route your call to the one with the sim card or to other phones in the network.

serval is design to operate in theory if you dropped it on the moon as only phones and devices. Does not require anything else to form a temporary mesh phone network.

Stuff I deal in the 100 percent customisable can be a life or death thing. Since the 100 percent customisable allows the device to have software added that the normal phone carriers don’t want.

The content that can be consumed is only really one selling point. Customisation for particular life saving roles or into particular roles is a different selling feature. To some people like me its a more important feature.

Yes oldman there is a disconnect between rural and city on device requirements.

So yes my problem is still content oldman. The content I require is the means to run what ever application I want without being hindered by anything other than the hardware processing limitations. Basically take off you blinkers and see the content problem is a broader problem. Application is really more important than the rest of the other content you talk about. Why what use is the content if you have no application to view it.

Carriers forbid particular phones and tablets from tethering to each other. Developer editions don’t have this problem if they do you replace the carries firmware with default firmware that does not have stupidity.

There are particular things ipad and iphones are forbin todoing out box and when you find a way to root them a future update might render that non functional. If you need that functionality ipad and iphones is basically paper weights for role where android developer devices don’t have this problem since they are go right ahead and apply custom firmware if you have to the device will not have a problem.

There are non developer android devices what I would not buy. Since those I am limited how I can use them. Other people buy them very happily who don’t need what I need.

9. Ted says:

“Where the Hell do they buy them then?”

http://store.apple.com ?

10. oldman says:

” A device I can 100 percent customise. This include being able to operate in batphone mode”

11. oldman says:

“It is doubtless a fact that people do not buy their iPad at Walmart, Mr. Pogson.”

It is interesting to note however that none of the android tablets are to be found in either actual store.

Clarence Moon
    “If you were an iPad user, though, you would see immediately the disconnect between an iPad and the sort of junk that you suggest is doing better commercially. But if you only measure things in terms of price, you will never buy one and so will never see the light.”

For a person like me something in the Nexus class of device is very important. A device I can 100 percent customise. This include being able to operate in batphone mode.

Handy when in a area with poor coverage to be able to place a phone where there is reception then use the wifi from that phone to provide a phone link to where you are. So tablet becomes phone and phone becomes base-station.

http://www.slatedroid.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page Particular ones in that Walmart list are Developer Tablets. So no major locks against rooting and placing custom rom into them.

iPad are not developer tablets. Developer tablets can be altered and interface locked to suit a business need. Like you don’t need users installing games and other items on a tablet doing stock control.

Clarence Moon amazon and apple yes are two different markets. Amazon hardware is not really designed to have what ever firmware you like installed either.

There is market you are not considering.

Developer tablets have their place. Developer tablets are basically the PC vs Apple. Just like the early age of PC the PC was weaker than the apple machines at the time. The current day developer tablets some are weaker. Difference PC could be customised to start up how the business wanted so be productive and limiting. Where apple provided no such controls.

Really nothing has changed that much. Why Apple lost to the PC is playing out again with the Tablets. Apple learnt nothing. Customisation is key.

Clarence Moon yes how those cheap tablets are being used is a very important question you are skipping over. Business roles would be a long term problem.

13. Clarence Moon wrote, “It is doubtless a fact that people do not buy their iPad at Walmart”.

Where the Hell do they buy them then? There’s only one Apple store within 700 miles of where I live. There just aren’t enough Apple stores to sell all the iPads that sell. Apple stuffed the channel in China and revenue dropped a lot. They only have a few Apple stores there.

14. Clarence Moon says:

It is doubtless a fact that people do not buy their iPad at Walmart, Mr. Pogson. That much you can rely on. If you were an iPad user, though, you would see immediately the disconnect between an iPad and the sort of junk that you suggest is doing better commercially. But if you only measure things in terms of price, you will never buy one and so will never see the light.

I think that these tablet devices have very sharply defined markets based on size and end use anticipated by the manufacturer/vendor. Amazon and Apple are after two distinctly different markets and may each sell a unit to the same person on the same day as a result.