The Drought is Over at Dell Online Store: Ubuntu GNU/Linux Vostro 14″ Notebook

For a time you could find nothing on Dell’s sight for GNU/Linux. Now there is a notebook (not a “netbook” but a full-sized 14″ notebook). It’s in the Small Business & Home Office/laptops section. Look under Operating Systems: “Linux and FreeDOS”. There is a bonus. They have more than one unit (Vostro and Latitude notebooks) and a bunch of FreeDOS desktops. Way to go, Dell!

see The Dell Online Store: Build Your System.

UPDATE Missed this. Dell has also cranked out two high-powered notebooks with RedHat Enterprise Linux…

see SJVN – Dell re-enters high-end Linux laptop market with Red Hat Enterprise Linux

23 Responses to The Drought is Over at Dell Online Store: Ubuntu GNU/Linux Vostro 14″ Notebook

1. Clarence Moon says:

The other half was how the hard-drive is handled in case of repair.

So you have to pay almost 40% more for a system to get rid of Windows so that they will allow you to pay extra to get an original hard drive returner in the event that you send the unit back to Dell for repair? That makes a lot of sense, Mr. O! At least it makes a lot of sense compared to some of your other notions!

What would Mr. Pogson have to say about that?

Also, why would you not simply take the drive and clone it yourself before letting it out of your hands? It would seem to save you an awful lot of money. Are Aussies in the bush that stupid? Other than yourself, of course. If you are really an Aussie in the bush at all.

I think the original notion that you are deranged is a more accurate assessment.

2. oldman says:

“oldman “You have no idea who is on staff ” That is truly false. “You have no idea what they have to do.” This is also truly false. Different people here directly deal with Universities all over the place. Include nyu.”

But YOU do not sir. You assume because of the second hand information that you allegedly have from contacts in your company you do. That is NOt “knowing” and that makes your statement false, period.

“This changes when dealing with rural and portable systems. Since connection to central store is not dependable.”

SO what. you made an assumption about my operating procedures that was incorrect. By your own standards this shows your incompetence, eh.

“Then oldman attempts to step in to stop me ripping into Clarence Moon for incompetence.”

The real problem here is that you indicate that you know for a fact that Dell has a specific charge bundled in to their N class systems. Unless you have proof that you can provide, your statement is unverifiable and suspect.

This is the problem oldman. “Your credentials are effectively non existent because they remain hidden.

You simply don’t have the qualifications to swap places with me oldman. Situations reversed is not possible for you. But there are many staff a nyu I could swap into no problem. You would know this.

“1) There is no sensitive company data on my hard drive.
    2) Any and all copies of the specifications that I work on are stored on central shares.
    3) none of the data on my system is not reacquire-able.”

“So one again Mr. expert, you make assumptions without facts.”

You said you could do my job so I did not need to use your working conditions any more so I could just apply mine. Your work environment is incompatible with what you have deal with operating rural. Things you get away with in a City setup will cause huge failures Rural. Rural can operate city but city cannot operate rural. This is the way operating conditions break down.

oldman
    “No it shows that you are a narrow arrogant a$$hole, and nothing more.”
    This is exactly what you are. You don’t have a basic understanding of the requirements of running rural operations. If you did you would be able to look straight at the staff a nyu and see straight up that they are missing the mixed skill set required.

So you falsely believe rural is lower qualified. So you are a pure arrogant a$$hole oldman. Just because you don’t like working rural does not mean there are not people like me who like open spaces risks and all.

oldman
    “I am well aware of the extra charge option with Dell to get back your own disk – I chose not to take the option because of the information above.”

Were you aware that was included in Dell N Class price and that is what makes Clarence Moon compare invalid.

So you should have stomped on Clarence Moon for putting up a invalid compare.

The simple fact is my attack over dell based stuff comes over Clarence Moon not being able to perform a simple task of a valid compare of products.

Chris Weig

You are noticing a trait. Common trait of jack of all trades. Absolutes is what jack of all trades have to know. To be correct I don’t know about absolutely everything. Thing is topic I don’t know I avoid. This is a jack of all trades trait as well so the appearance of knowing absolutely everything is part of it. We dig down threw information until we find the Absolutes. Until then we don’t make selections this is to avoid Gefährliches Halbwissen.

Good example of Gefährliches Halbwissen is Clarence Moon comparing systems as post 1 here. They appeared the same because Clarence Moon only knew half the information required to make the assessment. The other half was how the hard-drive is handled in case of repair. So Clarence Moon made a completely invalid assessment. Then Tar takes it as face value again Gefährliches Halbwissen. Then oldman attempts to step in to stop me ripping into Clarence Moon for incompetence.

I don’t look that shallow most of the time. Yes jack of trades also has the requirement of knowing exactly what is causing failures.

We are not masters. Its a different beast.

Chris Weig step back and take a close look and oldman and Clarence Moon you will find over and over again they are using Gefährliches Halbwissen. To be correct not reading the book because they are judging it by the cover.

Rural IT is not just about being IT. Its about having the skill set to legally be able to operate out there. You cannot operate out doing anything with out extra sets of qualification.

4. Chris Weig says:

And to give an example for what I call dangerous half-knowledge, I refer to an older comment by Mr. Pogson:

In this comment, he implies that how he used/uses a spreadsheet is basically how everyone uses a spreadsheet. I quote:

“What more can one do with a spreadsheet besides that and the generation of report-cards, analysis of data and creation of graphs which I do all the time?”

After I replied to that, that one can’t make any qualified statement about things where you lack the knowledge, Mr. Pogson offered this:

“In that case no one could say anything about M$’s software because they are the only ones that know all about it.”

Which is, of course, utter crap, as the point was not that you had to or even could know everything about a certain software (or something else), but that a broad general (implied) statement like “Calc is good enough because there are no spreadsheets more complicated than what I use(d)” are based on superficial knowledge at best, but more importantly based on a lack of knowledge about Excel and the areas where it is better than Calc.

5. Chris Weig says:

Mr. oiaohm wrote:

That’s strange, because you love to talk in absolutes, meaning there’s just your way or the highway. How does this exactly work, with you being the “master of none”, yet knowing anything about absolutely everything? There’s seldom a post here on Mr. Pogson’s blog where you don’t try to have the last word, and where you don’t try to upstage other people.

“Jack of all trades, master of none” — there is in fact a really good expression for this in the German language:

Gefährliches Halbwissen (Dangerous half-knowledge)

This is a peculiar state where someone has assembled a certain superficial body of knowledge on a certain topic, but is quite unable to understand that this knowledge is not absolute. This goes hand in hand with being unable to properly reflect on the superficial knowledge. It’s most likely impossible for that person to confront this superficial knowledge and come out with a deeper understanding. So, no hermeneutical circle, no dialectic, no relativism, no nothing.

And that’s quite an apt description for what you do here.

People like Mr. Pogson even willingly (and proudly) admit that they haven’t basically touched the Windows operating system for 10 years, but they still think they can say something important about it which is entirely based on dangerous half-knowledge.

6. oldman says:

“Reality I was been nice and letting your incompetence slide Oldman. Dell default on-site does not protect your companies data or truly say the have to give you the failed hard drive to allow you to use a data recovery firm.”

A couple of points of information:

1) There is no sensitive company data on my hard drive.
    3) none of the data on my system is not reacquire-able.

So one again Mr. expert, you make assumptions without facts.

“City slickers…”

The arrogant a$$hole country bumpkin speaketh.

(arent stereotypes fun…)

7. oldman says:

“This has been your complete problem oldman you keep on thinking you are my level. ”

Actually I have no problem. It is you that does. And your problem is that you are in the end a nameless nym. Your credentials are effectively non existent because they remain hidden. And what we can know about you could easily be explained by someone with a good lookup ability. Your professed broad experience could very well be the result of being an IT chief cook and bottle washer for hire, but the bitch of it for you is there is no way to verify it.

“Sorry oldman no one on staff at http://www.nyu.edu/ has the qualification set required todo my job legally.”

That is the statement of am arrogant a$$hole pure and simple. I have no trouble calling you an a$$hole because nobody with half a brain would make such a statement blind as you have. You have no idea who is on staff at http://www.nyu.edu You have no idea what they have to do. You just IMHO arrogantly assume that nobody else could ever have your skills et unless they work as you do, Hamster.

So you say, but since can never know what you do, we all assume that this statement is bushwah and treat it accordingly.

“Really oldman you lack of knowledge saying that a city person could do a rural shows your incompetence.”

No it shows that you are a narrow arrogant a$$hole, and nothing more.

oldman
    “And oh BTW Mr. Microsoft VAR, I have no doubt that were our situations reversed, you would wash out and I would succeed, for NOTING you have done or described is not something that I have not already had to do in some small context. Pulling them together might be a bit of a scramble at first, but I would get along quite well of not happily.”

Really talking about dell on-site support not being aware how it works when you don’t have it. Is not a wash out. It can be complete business failure.

Nothing you have described I have not done in some small context either oldman. Really I could swap into your job but you cannot into mine you are lacking qualifications. Then your errors in knowledge would be massive costs to the company.

Also I was not mean enough to say this before but please go read the on-site support contracts of dell. You will find something shocking. In case of recall particularly. Yes is possible that a machine sitting on your desk that is a dell could be replaced under warnity and you never see the data again unless you pay extra to prevent that even with on-site repair.

There is even a difference using Dell N Class with on-site support. The true fact of the matter you think you are big and important Oldman but you are getting a lot of the small critical details wrong. Like what will happen to the harddrive if the on-site tech determines its failed. Case of stock dell machine harddrive gets returned to dell and replacement fitted. That is the last you see of that harddrive. Lets hope it did not contain anything important that was not backed up.

These are the small critical details that can see key data to business operations disappear out of the business past all recovery.

Reality I am shocked you have not washed out yet losing where you work some critical data. Mind you city based IT locations seam less likely to fire staff for stupidity.

Oldman working rural you have to be able to stand on your own two feet solo. I guess you would not be suitable. I am a qualified caber and IT officer with many other side qualifications and most of those side qualifications are because I don’t have the option of grab a phone and call someone to fix a dead phone line. Instead it call the carrier inform the carrier that I am there and get permission to install a complete new lead in line because the lead in line at a location has been damaged.

Simple reality here you would be lacking the required qualifications to do my job Oldman. Let alone the errors in your knowledge. I could not see you fitting or fixing a stock proof electric fence. My repair work is not just IT its the items that protect the IT hardware from damage.

In fact my employment is working out how to make me a full electrician as well. So if need I can basically rebuild a site from scratch. The ideal level of qualification for what I do is have enough qualifications that if building gets completely flattened you can replace the lot. Currently this takes 2 people at my level. Me plus another guy who is a builder and electrician.

Rural requires multi-skilling to a level you don’t have to have as a city slicker. I would not think that fencing or building the location to protect the IT hardware would be in your skill set. Yes fitting security systems, fire suppression and so on I am qualified in. All part of the job.

oldman
    “Pulling them together might be a bit of a scramble at first, but I would get along quite well of not happily.”
    Reality as a city person you have no clue what is required as the rural form of IT. This is why I don’t have a fixed job title. I don’t just do 1 trade. This is a common rural thing to be multi trade. In fact if you are only 1 or 2 trades you are simply not qualified enough to work rural doing the work I do.

Sorry oldman no one on staff at http://www.nyu.edu/ has the qualification set required todo my job legally. So its not a case that you could pull it together. After extra 18 months(that is for the highest I could see there) of training if that person pass could even attempt part of my job. Still would be lack many minor skill sets.

Yes even if you were at an Australian uni and did not have to transfer qualifications in. No one person there has the required sets of paper end of story.

This is the reality oldman I know for sure you don’t have the qualifications todo my job. But I do have the qualifications todo yours. Ok my ways have been different to what you have done that does not mean I cannot do the ways you have described as well.

Nothing you have described I have not done for different setups.

Here is the shocker oldman I am not top dog in the company I work for. Top dog does have all the qualifications to build from nothing to building and do the IT in fact she is qualified to design the building completely, power it, cable it install all the servers and client machines. Once you have this you can repair any problem a site has bar air-conditioning.

Reality oldman multi-skilled to a level you are not anyone who is not multi-skilled is stuck to the city offices until they get multi-skilled. Yes rural and city slicker. City slicker being the newbie where you would have to start out until you were skilled enough.

So your skill set is only that of a person who is not allowed todo the rural jobs due to lack of formal qualifications.

Oldman you always had the stupid idea just because I was rural that I did not have to be highly skilled. I have to be multi-skilled and highly skilled in many areas. The idea that one of you could swap into my job is a complete joke.

City slickers always have this stupid idea not understanding being rural requires some extra basic skill sets like being qualified in fence repair since if a gate was closed you open it and it breaks and you don’t fix it a beast worth a million+ could be lost and you could be on camera making the mistake yes a million dollar plus beast has video security. Rural is not just be qualified in IT. Many other qualifications are mandatory this is why being a rural IT is special. IT qualifications alone don’t allow you todo the job. Yes basic fencing is mandatory including knowing how to do it exactly right. There are other mandatories as well.

Repairing a fence when not qualified does contain some extra issues like not doing it properly so possibly resulting in the next person to open gate getting hurt.

Really oldman you lack of knowledge saying that a city person could do a rural shows your incompetence. There is more study to being a IT officer working rural than there is for a IT officer working in the city. All because of the extra rural skill set you have to have and the fact you have to multi skill to reduce the number of people you need to call.

This has been your complete problem oldman you keep on thinking you are my level. You failed to understand why I did not have a fixed job title. There is a rural joke job description that explains it. Jack of all Trades, Master of None. This is common joke talks about the rural problem. You have to be multi trade or not function. Master of None is the simple fact it becomes impossible to place a formal neat title on the skill set also due to being multi trade you don’t fully master in any particular area.

This is why I am so broad. If I got to work where you are I would get to master and not be having to flick between all my different trades all the time. So your job would be simpler than mine.

9. oldman says:

“This one I will be kind and say I would not be expecting a city slicker to know the insides and out of dell support system since you would not have to work around its limitations. ”

I realize that you think that your little corner of the middle of nowhere is important, but in reality it is not, nor is your case all that relevant to the main stream markets of computer usage, which is what is being discussed here.

Once again you talk of “city slickers” I hope you also realize that there is nothing magical to living and working in a “rural” community, except possibly that the your apparent status as a the Crocodile Dundee of Computing in your neck of the woods is secure.

10. Chris Weig says:

I can’t stop laughing, Mr. Pogson!

Ubuntu Vostro 1440

Is this your weird sense of humour shining through? Or are you just performing your role of the dedicated Linux apologist you’ve always been really, really well?

Let’s check the facts:

– Intel Celeron P4600? Please, that’s not even bargain sale material any more.
    – 2 GB RAM? Which notebook today doesn’t come at least with 4 GB?
    – 320 GB HD? Most notebooks today come with at least 500 GB.
    – Ubuntu 11.04! What now?

So, to sum up: Dell has — once again — grabbed a notebook from the very bottom of their barrel and slapped a terribly outdated Ubuntu version without the famous “long term support” on it.

And Mr. Pogson rejoices.

Also note: Ubuntu can’t directly upgrade from 11.04 to 12.04. You have to do an intermediate upgrade via 11.10. And here begin the questions: will normals users be able to grasp that? Will Dell give support even after a user has upgraded to another Ubuntu version? Does Dell give any Ubuntu-related support at all?

oldman
    “Why would I send my machine back to dell for a defect? Dell sells me next day repair for their hardware that comes complete with a technician to install/replace the part. ”
    Dell does not sell on onsite repairs every where. Yes that is a extra charge as well. Dell onsite repair is not a free service and is not an everywhere service.

I work rural Oldman so I know the limits of what Dell sells. Because I have to work where don’t have the on-site repair option because dell don’t go there or sell it for machines in those locations. So you must return the device to a service centre.

This is the problem oldman. You don’t work rural. So result you don’t know Dell limits. So you don’t know what you have todo when Dell will not sell you on-site repair to protect you data.

This one I will be kind and say I would not be expecting a city slicker to know the insides and out of dell support system since you would not have to work around its limitations. You would not been aware of that trap in dell hardware support once you go outside where on-site support. Yes that the harddrive will not come back is a nasty trap.

oldman
    “Sir, you have indicated several times that you have that you build your own systems from parts,yet now
    you are speaking as an expert on dell internal operational workflow. Is there a problem here?”

Not really. I build systems yes. When needing volume at times company do purchase from third parties include Dell and HP. We have broad supply lines.

Lot of ways HP is simpler. You order a Windows PC from hp in an area they do not do on-site repair you pay a extra fee and you get machines harddrive back no matter what.

Dell is the one that force you do something stupid because don’t have the repair protection of harddrive on the standard windows pc when they get returned to the service centre.

Clarence Moon I am not deranged. I just know how dell works and why you cannot compare a dell N class to a dell normal because the two product are in fact different. HP machines on the other hand you can compare the Linux to Windows because the support process is identical. Yes when you compare the HP models the Linux models are about 100 dollars cheaper.

If you had done a true broad checkout Clarence Moon you would have found that Dell is an odd ball for the Linux model being more expensive than the Windows model. This would have told you that you need to look deeper then you would have found what I know. The support on the N Class is different to the normal. That difference is quite major.

12. Clarence Moon says:

Mr. O, you are deranged.

13. oldman says:

” You send your machine in with a defect they can just grab another from the pile and send it back to you.”

“Yes the N class handling of hard-drives is more expensive. Question how valuable is your data. Do you want machines dell will not pave over in the repair process. You have to pay extra for that.”

Clarence Moon
    “Do you think anyone else would be fooled into paying $184 to have a FreeDos system and so avoid the Microsoft tax?”

In fact in some case like a laptop or desktop holding critical research data you will pay for N class from dell. Even if you are planing on paving it over with windows.

This is not to avoid the Microsoft tax. It avoids the dell repair process on returned machine of format harddrive back to factory default so nuking your data out of existence. N class does not get its hardware reset to factory when returned to dell for repair.

The N class and Windows machines have two different repair processes at dell. Yes there is a price difference to avoid you harddrive paved over. Also in a N class has a defective harddrive removed you get the laptop/desktop back with the defective harddrive so you can pay data recovery on it.

With a normal Dell Windows the harddrive gets returned to drive maker for replacement.

There is a plus 250 dollars hard drive insurance on a N class dell. To cover new hard-drives if they have to be fitted.

Clarence Moon you are comparing a apple with a orange and you don’t know it. Yes the N class handling of hard-drives is more expensive. Question how valuable is your data. Do you want machines dell will not pave over in the repair process. You have to pay extra for that.

Yes the dell pave over on Windows machine is cheap. You send your machine in with a defect they can just grab another from the pile and send it back to you. Does cause you some pain of you have ghost image of windows that now does not work.

Yes N class more likely to get the machine you sent to dell back.

Clarence Moon really it should have crossed your mind how a FreeDos machine could be more expensive than a Windows one. Answer is nothing todo with volume but how support is handled on it.

Clarence Moon how much is the data on the harddrive worth 400 dollars yes or no?? Why 300 dollars having to pay for OEM windows license on top of the N class sale price from dell and for a third party to install it.

Clarence Moon basically you are getting something for that price difference. Your machines harddrive returned to you after any repair with N class. Normal windows machine sent for repair to dell you might not see any part of that machine ever again. Instead a replacement sent out in case of dell normal windows machines. This also does add security problems for you information if dell miss handles the returned machines harddrive.

See what you are paying the extra for now Clarence Moon. Security of information.

15. kozmcrae says:

“…re-compile the kernel on their own…”

Like they did back in 1995, right Clarence?

16. Clarence Moon says:

I reconfigure to get closer

If you change the base to include the i3 2120 processor at $70, which makes the hardware specs identical, you get the exact figure of $439 that I mentioned. I guess I shouldn’t have assumed that you would see that yourself.

So the difference is not “about $100” in Microsoft’s favor, but rather $184 which is more accurately “about $200”. I am sure that a smart fellow such as yourself would just buy the Windows version and “pave it over” with your favorite Debian distribution. Do you think anyone else would be fooled into paying $184 to have a FreeDos system and so avoid the Microsoft tax?

On reflection, it may be that the difference is not a “tax” at all, but rather a subsidy paid to those unfortunates who cannot re-compile the kernel on their own and so are dependent on others, sort of like an unemployment check.

17. Mats Hagglund says:

My current PC (HP Pavilion, with AMD Athlon 64 and Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT) is now 7 years old. But there is no need to buy a new one. My friends and relatives have mentioned several times they can’t believe how can i still use such an old pc. Well, i’ve said the reason is Linux and FLOSS. I’m not very eager evangelist, but surely they understand now what are the benefits of Linux/FLOSS.

Anyway there will be a day when i finally have to made decision what’s my next default “computer”. This pc is model of old-time computing and most likely my next computer might be ARM-device, tablet or something near them. Nobody knows the future. Except that i’m not gonna buy anything with Microsoft OS or Microsoft ecosystem. There is no need to burn money.

Tar “Windows computer is still cheapest. Just wipe the windows and install Linux or OS/2 or whatever. Stop being childish Mr Pogson.”

Really I buy motherboards and parts and build my own. Works out cheaper than dell.

Tar White box builders are really useful.

When it comes to laptops that is a different matter there are particular vendors for those with Linux as well.

The idea we should be forced to buy a Windows license and pave over is just insulting. Thinking as a enterprise user I can order the machines blank always cheaper.

Yes at times I ring up dell asking for the same price on the N model as the Windows version and normally get it if the Windows version is cheaper.

Tar there is a problem with wipe over read the Dell repair contract. N class (freedos and linux) when repaired the harddrive will be returned to you in case of defect so you can send the drive to a data recovery company.

Non N class ie your windows class Dell machines hard drive defect kiss your data good by.

So yes there is different handling between a Windows and Freedos machine when it comes to failures. You by the windows machine you agree to kiss your data good by in case of having to return the machine to Dell.

So Clarence moon is not comparing the same with same.

Linux guys are more likely to sue over lost data.

Tar so what kind of computer do you want. One where the harddrive will be just deleted in the repair process or one where the damaged harddrive will be returned to you so you can send it to a data recovery firm.

Funny part is you want the damaged harddrive returned to you only option is buy a N class. If you want windows acquire that license and install that your self.

So Tar looking at this you have two problems. Linux users don’t have the option of pave this machine over we don’t care unless they pave over a Windows Machine. Windows users don’t have the option of don’t pave this machine over because we care about the data unless they buy a Linux or Freedos machine and install windows themselves.

Yes Dell you cannot have everything. Terms and conditions is a pain in but. So there is a higher cost to repair to the Linux and freedos models from dell due to the harddrive insured return.

19. Tar says:

So why don’t you buy the computer with Windows on it, if you hate microsoft so much?

By your logic, buy enough computers and Microsoft will go bankrupt.

20. Tar, being mathematically challenged, wrote, “Windows computer is still cheapest.”

OMG! How will M$ survive if they pay OEMs to install their OS?

Use your head. The hardware costs what the hardware costs. The supplier does not care what OS will eventually run on it. M$ charges OEMs per unit for supplying the OS. There is no cost advantage to shipping that other OS. Read M$’s filings with SEC. They show a revenue for permitting OEMs to install their OS. The cost of that revenue is less than the revenue…

On the occasional system seen side by side with GNU/Linux and that other OS, GNU/Linux is cheaper by at least $50.

21. Tar says:

FreeDOS and Linux are not intended to be used as the OS by consumers. It is there as a placeholder operating system only.

22. Clarence Moon, denigrating Intel, compares a system with that other OS and a 2.7gHz Pentium processor with a system with FreeDOS and a Core i3 3.3gHz processor.

Nice try. You know M$ forbids OEMs selling identical units with their OS and another…

Further, if I reconfigure to get closer, the system with that other OS is ~$100 less which proves the value of that other OS is negative. 😉

23. Clarence Moon says:

Have you looked very closely at this, Mr. Pogson? If you look at your link for the Optiplex 390 with FreeDos OS, the price is $623. If you price an identically equipped Optiplex 390 with Windows 7 Home Premium, it comes to $439.

The