Smaller and Cheaper Computers Keep Getting Better

I doubt PCs will get much smaller than this or people would lose them… Prices are pretty good too, well under $100.

I expect from now on, folks will have their PCs built into the monitor, keyboard and mice, just to keep the thing anchored in the breeze and to reduce cabling. All-in-ones are still pricey until some OEMs stick the guts of one of these into a monitor.

As usual with small cheap computers, there’s no place in these for that other OS in the box or in the price. It’s all good.

2 new mini Linux boxes ~ Linux and Life.

9 Responses to Smaller and Cheaper Computers Keep Getting Better

oldman iMac does not have video in. It cannot be used as a monitor. Its not a computer screen and OS in one.

Its a computer made into a computer screen shaped box.

2. oldman says:

“That is what you want to wish. Name me another device that can be used computer screen and contains an OS that you can do functional work on.”

I believe they call that an iMac…

3. Chris Weig says:

Smaller and Cheaper Computers Keep Getting Better

No shit, Pogson! It#d be kind of weird for them to become worse. Although with Linux that’s always a possibility.

Clarence Moon
    “8 hours without power and I am somewhere else, Mr. O. The last time that happened, 2004, I just went into the office where the power and air conditioning were still humming along. The internet, too.”

Might not worry you but IT staff making sure backup power is in place its help.

Clarence Moon
    “And no one seems to care, Mr. O. That has been the story with Linux since the beginning of recorded history.”

Simple reality this is a first Clarence moon. Its the changing market at work.

oe the difference is its not conjecture that is a real viewsonic device that is a PC/Device Screen and a Android device in one.

Yes this increases the number of OEM vendors that provide fully working machines.

If one LCD screen maker finds it a successful product others will follow. At that point Microsoft is really in trouble.

Remember Dell HP….. Most of the PC makers you know outsource there screen production.

How will android get to the desktop. Possibly by being default installed in all screens. Forget the PC box you have to fight with windows in the PC box.

Yes this is a real table turner. Sub 200 dollar unit including screen that is functional will be possible.

Its these device changes that threaten to rip the desktop world we know completely to pieces. You have an android screen on your desk it can do thinclient it can run some local applications exactly why would you place a standard PC at that desk.

The thick client advantage of a Windows PC is undermined by Android.

x86 as a platform will become unstable. x86 is not used in monitor controller boards because its too expensive.

Yes windows 8 RT could be a complete laugh. It does not look like it will be priced cheap enough. If MS license cost is not low enough to have Windows 8 RT in a screen its not cheep enough. Problem MS does that it also nukes the x86 PC makers quite badly.

Does not matter what you try to do know in the x86 market its going to get hurt. Question is just how bad.

6. Clarence Moon says:

8 hours of operation without power

7. oe says:

“Screen makers will be able to provide there own Android devices that just happen to be screens as well.” An interesting conjecture and a table turner like the ARM has been to the furnace chips (x86)….

Clarence Moon there is a 22 inch android tablet that also can work as a standard computer screen.

phandroid.com/2012/05/26/viewsonic-to-release-a-22-inch-android-tablet-is-that-too-big/

Yes the sucker does have battery power and can operate for over 8 hours on battery. So you don’t need to UPS the device has its own.

Current costing look almost the same as a standard monitor. Why the viewsonic LCD controller chips are ARM chips anyhow. Just threw a few extra cores in and a little extra ram and flash then you have something that runs android.

I guess you 23″ put you back more than a monitor in price and did not have 8 hours of operation without power.

This is where things are going to turn ugly. Screen makers will be able to provide there own Android devices that just happen to be screens as well.

I would not be surprised that in the future there is no such thing as a monitor without an OS.

Clarence Moon most people are not aware modern LCD configuration systems are a miniature OS.

Clarence Moon also can your windows machine 23 inch like the 22 inch here still operate as a monitor if required. I bet not.

The old all in ones are old feature lacking tech.

9. Clarence Moon says:

No doubt, Mr. Pogson. I got my wife a Dell all in one last year. Great 23″ touch screen and wireless keyboard and mouse. Came with Windows 7. Very nice.