It had to happen sooner or later. Android/Linux smart phones have been out-selling the others for many months now and have finally achieved 50% share of smart phones in use. That means a lot:

• Android/Linux has retail shelf-space
  • Android/Linux is in the hands of a lot of consumers
  • Android/Linux is now “the one to beat”
  • Android/Linux has mind-share for developers, OEMs and retailers

Tablets will be next… then x86 and ARMed notebooks/desktops.

On Wikimedia Stats:
Linux/Android 3.57%/(iPhone 5.31%+iPad 2.39%) = 46.4% for March 2012
Linux/Android 1.00%/(iPhone 2.74%+iPad 0.74%) = 28.7% for March 2011

Android breaks crucial 50% of smartphones in use, says comScore | ITworld.

35 Responses to Android Not Only Selling Well, but Now Has The Largest Installed Base of Smart Phones

Viktor “Switching to Linux doesn’t miraculously turn them into Linux demigods.”

To be correct it places them in a OS that normally has a high over all grade of secuirty compare to windows from the starting line. This does help.

Also the fact dumb users normally don’t find how to install applications in Linux without the package manager help a lot as well. I do expect to see windows infection rates reduce when MS app store gets on-line. That random googling for applications does cause problems.

There is a lot more Microsoft and Linux Distrobutions could do to reduce the risk to dumb users. DoD rainbow books are a good read get some ideas what could be done.

Viktor cannot say that out box secuirty of windows is great. Particularly when 30 year old recommendations are not followed. Those recommendations still hold today.

Viktor making a secure OS is not some magical stunt. There is a list of things todo. You do them you get a fairly high resistance to problems. Nothing is perfect of course.

Viktor this is the big thing from me. Every should be up there ribs of the OS provider to be improving secuirty. Be asking what they are doing to address malware and virus threats then seeing that they do.

Getting infected does not happen without the conditions to cause it. Like in the real world you cannot catch a illness if nothing near you has it. This applies equally to malware and computer viruses.

The systems you have to defend against infection are increasing. systemd to bring cgroups around users and services plus linux IMA. Will make a system that is very hard to infect.

One of the big things is most linux users have a livecd option to fall back to if everything goes wrong as well.

This is also a issue with windows no tools provided with the OS to make a livecd for general users other than non approved third party tools.

There are a lot of little issues that add up to a big issue that Linux users are use to having Viktor. Each of them makes sense.

2. Viktor says:

That’s jolly good for you Viktor. Do you recommend that for the average user who just brought his computer home from Best Buy?

I don’t know. But I think the average user isn’t as mentally challenged as you.

It’s also ridiculous. Because when you suggest that the average user has, in fact, no clue, then that means that he’ll still have no clue, even if he were to use Linux. Dumb users stay dumb. Switching to Linux doesn’t miraculously turn them into Linux demigods.

oldman
    “Unfortunately, Mr. Microsoft VAR, those “ignorant” people more often than not pay your salary/fees. They require you to do your job to THEIR specifications not yours, AND they expect to be treated civilly and dont suffer geeks like you lightly.”

You think I don’t know this. Sorry they want the truth. Not for you to lie that everything is ok. I do treat them civilly but I don’t lie to them about the realities of what they are using. If they choose to go against my advice they sign off on it. I will not provide a system I certify as secure unless its up to my standards or better.

I guess oldman you never have to provide certified secure systems. So are you saying you would sign that a system is certified secure when its not I think not oldman.

oldman
    “IN short, you work for them, they do not work for YOU”
    This line is critical you are working for them you have no legal right to hide the reality from them at least in this country unless you want to spend the next 15 in jail if something goes wrong for aiding the breach.

Legally even that you are working for them you have legal responsibilities. Some countries are harder than others.

If the people above you are ignorant of the facts you are the one liable here. If they were told and the signed off you are not liable. End of story. Of course they could choose to sign off on a complete insecure system but since they are IT they can still claim not to have fully understood. I have to work to my countries legal framework. Makes me more bunt yes.

Phenom the reality is a breached computer can kill someone. People can get jail time for dangerous driving and even a non road worthy car. A computer without require secuirty setup is equally as bad.

Most people see a PC as a fairly harmless device and forget what they control. So by your logic dangerous cars should not be taken off the road and the people driving them should not be punished either. The offence is equal Phenom.

Now the point here is a water treatment plant got breached here. The computer was hooked up to the Internet without an anti-virus or hids and not even properly updated. Same things have been found in lots of countries Phenom. There are very good reasons why I would like a jail-able offence connected. Judge gets to decide if you get off with a warning or not.

In some ways means I cannot work out exactly where the line in sand should be drawn for an offence. I do know a line should be drawn. Yes a Past this point is an offence unless you do something to prevent it.

4. kozmcrae says:

Viktor wrote:

“I don’t run anti-virus software. Yet I have no viruses.”

5. Viktor says:

The first problem is to protect the Windows computer from the rest of the world with anti-virus software. That’s not normal for a computer that was designed from the start to be connected to the rest of the world safely. The Windows computer isn’t.

I don’t run anti-virus software. Yet I have no viruses.

(Yes, I invite you again to visit me. You can scan my computers with all anti-virus and anti-malware software you can get hold of.)

6. oldman says:

IN short, you work for them, they do not work for YOU!

7. oldman says:

“I’ve used both systems Viktor. I know the difference. I choose GNU/Linux.”

we don’t care. We use both systems too. We know that your experience is not the only one.

BTW have you implemented tripwire yet?

8. Phenom says:

Ohio wrote: “Ignorant people with computers are causes of some of the biggest security issues we cannot solve. Some ways I would love to make it a jail-able offence not to have decent secuirty on a computer.”

Deep down every loon is a communist, who despises human beings for being… Human.

9. kozmcrae says:

Viktor wrote:

“But if they don’t have problems with this operating system, if they can do with it what they want, are they ignorant for not being interested in something else?”

The problems with the Windows computer start when the owner first turns it on. From there it only gets worse. I’ve used both systems Viktor. I know the difference. I choose GNU/Linux.

10. kozmcrae says:

If it’s now suddenly down to: “Use what you like!”, then why are you here?

Viktor
    “But if they don’t have problems with this operating system, if they can do with it what they want, are they ignorant for not being interested in something else? This stance of you is a bit arrogant.”
    Yet a lot of people have problems with the computer and blame the computer when it is the OS fault.

I would have no problems if people were having no problems.

Start think about your stances over FLOSS you are arrogant as well. Ignorant is a true state of the problem.

Does not mater you find people with windows today who still don’t run an anti-virus software. Who download copyright infringement wares and wonder why they get infected.

I answered you question Viktor on what I do for FOSS. Time you answer the reverse what do you do for Microsoft or FOSS or are you are true arrogant and ignorant person.

12. Viktor says:

In my opinion, ignorance is — to a certain degree — a natural state of mind, because so many things we do day after day are things we do habitually, meaning we don’t have a need to care for something else. And therein lies precisely the problem. Because you deem people ignorant for simply using the operating system their computer came with. But if they don’t have problems with this operating system, if they can do with it what they want, are they ignorant for not being interested in something else? This stance of you is a bit arrogant.

13. Viktor wrote, “you are on a website whose owner thinks that Windows users are stupid because they use Windows?”

Ignorant, often, not necessarily stupid. In these days there’s not much of an excuse to be ignorant of GNU/Linux. The level of ignorance is of the order of fearing to open an ATX case even though that may be necessary to keep the thing running. I’ve encountered people who believed the interior of an ATX case was “no user-serviceable-parts” situation when users can seriously improve the performance of their machines by adding RAM/storage/NICs, etc. That’s why I taught all my high school computer students to do basic operations, stretching the curriculum a bit, which probably intended only plugging things in and pushing switches. People are empowered by having a clue about ATX machines and a clue about installing OS or GNU/Linux.

I doubt there are many who have not heard the word, “Linux”, but there are still a lot who assume it’s only for geeks or not relevant to their lives. I was tickled today when my daughter laid hands for the first time on her very own GNU/Linux PC. She had no idea that one could simply manage a system or create a local service. That’s ignorance. She is not stupid, however.

Stupid: “1. Very dull; insensible; senseless; wanting in understanding; heavy; sluggish; in a state of stupor; — said of persons.
    [1913 Webster]”

Viktor you cannot claim a person like me does not try to help FLOSS. Yet you want to ridicule me for it. For the attempts and failures. Not everything works first time.

So basically make up your god darn mind Viktor.

With idiots pricks like you Viktor I can understand why people like kozmcrae would not step forwards and take a chance of being wrong.

Yet FOSS has no requirement to step forwards. Using Linux and providing feedback is useful alone.

Even so you could say kozmcrae work here fighting FUD people like you from spreading their lies is helping FOSS. Viktor.

Really what have you done for FOSS or Micrsoft Viktor other than be here and be a prick.

15. Viktor says:

That’s wise indeed. But you do know that you are on a website whose owner thinks that Windows users are stupid because they use Windows? If it’s now suddenly down to: “Use what you like!”, then why are you here?

16. kozmcrae says:

Viktor wrote:

“What exactly are you doing for the sake of FLOSS? ”

You are making assumptions Viktor.

He continued:

“FLOSS being free by definition transcends any economical markets. Therefore it doesn’t matter at all, if FLOSS is widely used or not.”

So then we can say that Viktor doesn’t mind if FLOSS becomes widely used.

The roll of cultists have already been taken by those who blindly follow Microsoft. You can call us anything you like but it wont change what you are. I choose GNU/Linux because it’s a much friendlier OS to use and it doesn’t spring any nasty surprises on me. You can use Microsoft’s Windows if that’s what you like. Just don’t tell me it’s better than GNU/Linux because I’ve used both. I know the difference.

Have a nice day.

Viktor go read some more over Peter Dolding at LKML. Particularly over fanotify you will find out that your have it wrong. LKML is a place where people get there head handed to them all the time it is part of suggesting ideas into it. Sometimes you have it right sometimes you have it wrong.

In fact he has not had had ass handed to him all the time there at all Viktor sometimes he has handed others there head as well.

And some of his so called insane ideas where revised altered and form the base of some of the cgroup sections ie the framework for userspace LSM modules many revisions latter this is stuff like capabilities removal on cgroups and other parts. Ok the first idea was too far out there latter revisions have become accepted.

So the defect behind most of his ideas is real. The solutions not always that acceptable. Its nothing uncommon for my solutions to have 4 to 6 forms before finding something acceptable.

Viktor its not a loon to suggest a idea and be wrong. Also be very careful on what you are reading just because one form of a idea gets yelled down does not mean it has not given birth to a related idea that is successful to fix the same defect.

Viktor the idea at the base of his userspace LSM turned out to be the fact services required a universal way to limit what they could do no matter if LSM was installed or not this is cgroups today followed on to systemd(this is basically a userspace form of LSM read how he describe that working then look at systemd) that can run contained. So was his base idea wrong or just ahead of his time in the wrong form to be accepted. Yet what he was suggesting has appeared not in exactly the same form of course. This makes him a futurist.

So his failed ideas are worth while reading they do give some clue where the future direction is. The art is extracting what the base requirement is.

A loon normally the idea would not be based on a real defect and would not be an attempted solution to it.

Have you ever had the balls to post in the LKML over anything.

Viktor he does have a track record for suggesting ideas before there time and that is in the LKML. Most likely you are that shallow you did not read far enough and take note of what happened latter. So thought it was funny to see the Booing down yet the ideas did not die there because others did not think what he was suggesting was that loney wrong way to achieve but not nuts. All futurist don’t get the fine details right. But they do tell you were the world is heading.

Really how many ideas enter the Linux kernel the first revision Viktor almost zero.

18. Viktor says:

By the way, I just read some of your insane ramblings on LKML, Peter Dolding. As you got your a*s handed to you there, time after time, it’s finally safe to say that you’re a total loon. You’re really screwed up, pal.

But it’s funny.

19. Viktor says:

tl;dr

Linux best operating system for Australian outback.

oldman
    “Just because a binary can be made to run on a platform does not change the fact that the result will be most likely is an unsupported platform. SO while you may be personally able to port an android apps to linux, you cant force an ISV to support it that way any more than you can forced them to support that wine crap. As a result Android running on linux will remain the toy of the geeks and refusniks like you, Mr. Microsoft VAR.”

Ok you are being one thick as brick idiot oldman. Commenting on a topic you don’t know and it shows.

Android running on GNU/Linux will ABI be no different to Android not running on GNU/Linux but on a plan Android system. In fact you would build the ABI identical if running android applications on GNU/Linux or running just Android/Linux. In fact you can copy it straight from tablets of the same cpu type.

You might be asking how this is possible. Its called wayland. Android believes it has the full screen cannot seen anything else.

So ISV have to produce nothing different. If they support a tablet with same size screen as GNU Linux it works.

Wine is different libraries so ISV has todo different things to support the new envorment.

Android on GNU/Linux is vastly different. You currently can run arm and x86 android 4.0 ABI as is on mainline kernel. Some power effectiveness features auto disable if kernel does not support them. So yes all android 4.0 applications can be run today on a GNU/Linux system every single one.

Wine does not give 100 percent compatibility because it has to reverse so ISV have todo different things to support it. Like fix up it weaknesses.

Yes the reality is if I told a ISV I was running app on android 4.0 today yet it was running inside GNU/Linux it will act no different at all.

Comparing the android case to wine shows you are a idiot. They are no way equal. You cannot copy the complete windows abi and shove it on top a a Linux kernel in a cgroup and have it work. Android that is exactly what you can do.

Please note this is what android ubuntu hybreds do. They only run one kernel not two.

Oldman you are out of your depth about time you find out what android/gnu/Linux really means. They exist so Android ISV already support that combination. I am not talking about doing a new not supported combination. I am just taking about that combination becoming more common.

Xoom and others with docking are android/gnu/linux combinations. Yes the tri hybred has only been on sale for quite a few years oldman. You had you head in the sand to see what coming. About time you pull it out.

Since ISV do already support you are making stuff up oldman. Just to call it a toy based on false evidence. Reality its a game changer and you cannot accept what is coming.

Oldman you are out of date about time you get up to speed and stop being a idiot on this topic. The tri hybred of android/gnu/Linux is going to become common.

WAC standard I notice you did not comment on I guess you know that the KDE stuff is already supported as a WAC platform by the ISV’s and its only been released for a few days.

Android and Wac change the game that is the facts. Question now is how much. Will a common binary abi between all Linux Distrobutions two of them be enough to shift the tide oldman or not. I am not game enough to call it.

21. Viktor says:

“Us?” Such a poor choice of words. What exactly are you doing for the sake of FLOSS? That’s right, not a whole lot. And “market share”? That’s a capitalistic concept. FLOSS being free by definition transcends any economical markets. Therefore it doesn’t matter at all, if FLOSS is widely used or not.

Even in your mission statement you manage to ridicule yourself.

I still have a vacancy for the role of “Cultist #5”. You’d have no lines, but you’re clearly not cut out for the role of “Cult leader”.

22. kozmcrae says:

Clarence wrote:

“That certainly flies in the face of all conventional wisdom on the subject!”

Only to the Cult of Microsoft Clarence and to those who aren’t clued in. Everyone has to choose their battles. For some it’s a bunch of conspiracy theories. To others, it’s climate change. For us it’s Microsoft and other proprietary interests that are trying to keep FLOSS from gaining market share.

So it’s not “conventional wisdom” you are looking for but conventional awareness. Ask anyone who swears the Moon landings were faked by NASA what SOPA is. They will draw a complete blank. They chose their battle but they chose poorly.

You are mistaking lack of knowledge for a full understanding and backing of Microsoft’s deeds. It’s easy to just say that everyone who isn’t against Microsoft is for Microsoft, but that would not be true.

23. Clarence Moon says:

Both organizations were run by psychopaths/sociopaths who would do anything to get what they want…Apple does a lot of evil because it was run by a madman.

Wow, Mr. Pogson! That certainly flies in the face of all conventional wisdom on the subject! Don’t you fear that you will be viewed as somewhat eccentric if not worse?

24. oldman says:

“This is the reality of the changing landscape. The issue of I cannot release a binary to cover all Linux distrobutions is coming to the end. WAC or Android will win that battle.”

25. Viktor wrote, “irrational Microsoft/Apple bashing and hating.”

It’s not irrational to bash/hate M$ and Apple. Both organizations were run by psychopaths/sociopaths who would do anything to get what they want.

e.g. “On August 2, 1995, in a meeting of Intel and Microsoft executives, Bill Gates told Intel CEO Andy Grove to shut down the Intel Architecture Labs. Gates didn’t want lAL’s 750 engineers interfering with his plans for domination of the PC industry. Gates made vague threats about support for other platforms, and on the same day he announced a major program to support Digital Equipment’s Alpha microprocessor, an Intel competitor. Gates was livid about IAL’s investments in the lntemet, and wanted them stopped. All of this was said in the presence of executives from both companies.

Sometime shortly before August 24, coincidentally the launch date for Microsoft’s Windows’95 operating system, Craig Barrett, lnteI‘s COO and Grove’s second-in-command, published a secret memo outlining the dismemberment of IAL.”

see US DOJ v M$ Exhibit 280

e.g. “Isaacson emphasised that Steve Jobs believed in a closed system, where you control the hardware to go with the software. When Bill Gates took Apple’s graphical user interface that was bad enough, but what really infuriated Jobs was that Gates licensed the interface out “promiscuously”, to Dell and Compac, and IBM, and so on. As a result, “Microsoft ended up being dominant.

Jobs returned. He did the integrated system again, iPod, iPad, and it worked, “but what happens? Google rips it off”.

Isaacson continued: “It’s almost copied verbatim by Android. And then they licence it around promiscuously. And then Android starts surpassing Apple in market share, and this totally infuriated him. It wasn’t a matter of money. He said: ‘You can’t pay me off, I’m here to destroy you’.””

see MacWorld – Steve Jobs anger at Google was real, says biographer

Whether Apple is evil or not is debatable but clearly Apple does a lot of evil because it was run by a madman.

oldman
    “You may be able to run the code, but it is debatable if that will ever be anything more than a geek trick.
    And IMHO it is highly doubtful of the result will be supported commercially.”

Really wine is supported commercially and it is not perfect. Android apps on GNU/Linux systems will be supported commercially.

Vik ham you want answers.
    “Will Desktop Linux not suck tomorrow because so many Android smartphones are sold?”
    Ok not suck as much in the near future because the performance requirements of a phone and a desktop are basically the same. So removing the server bias from the Linux kernel development. Over 10 years server workloads have been more important than desktop at kernel.org.

“Will all game developers run to Linux because so many Android smartphones are sold?”
    They will release android games since android runtime will run perfect on GNU/Linux there is now games that work. So if game developers never release for GNU/Linux this now becomes a Zero problem. Android runtime on Linux is not like the wine runtime. Android runtime on Linux will be exactly the same runtime as in android phones so on desktop perform 100 percent perfect.

“Will Adobe finally port Photoshop because so many Android smartphones are sold?”
    Will this truly be important. Most likely no.

By the time the effect of Android hits GNU/Linux we will be talking gimp 2.10 either out or close to. That looks like its going to have 16 bit and 32bit int or floating point per channel processing. So quality of production differences between gimp and photoshop will disappear.

Adobe has a max of 5 year from what I can see to port Photoshop to Linux before it becomes pointless. Like nero trying to port to Linux and running into k3b and having bugger all sales.

Costing in porting for only returns for the next 5 years I would say to Adobe don’t even bother. There are other commercial third parties in the market for Linux let them have it.

27. Viktor says:

Wow, Robert gets all fired up again. Have all those people who bought Android smartphones already downloaded the SDK? Because there has to be something the FLOSS ecosystem can get out of it. I mean next to the irrational Microsoft/Apple bashing and hating.

Will Desktop Linux not suck tomorrow because so many Android smartphones are sold? Will all game developers run to Linux because so many Android smartphones are sold? Will Adobe finally port Photoshop because so many Android smartphones are sold?

Questions, questions, questions.

28. oldman wrote, of Android on GNU/Linux, “IMHO it is highly doubtful of the result will be supported commercially.”

I thought it was all about the apps. There are now thousands of apps on Android/Linux that people want when mobile. Some of them are useful when stationary.

29. oldman says:

“You can run Android on GNU/Linux and get the best both worlds.”

And IMHO it is highly doubtful of the result will be supported commercially.

Clarence Moon this is something that you need to be aware of. Tizen applications I can run in development versions of KDE that will be on the KDE released tablet. http://aseigo.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/html5-wac-and-plasma.html They are WAC standard application that are build for all OS’s in html5.

Then Linux kernel current release Linux kernel support running android environment in a chroot. Currently this will not ship on the KDE tablet out box because current it eating too much power. Yes the power effectiveness optimisations of Android are not fully mainline yet.

The thing is WAC and Android support on Linux Desktops is going to be perfect. Unlike the wine emulation of windows since there is no reversing requirement. WAC and Android applications are going to be distribution neutral.

Remember WAC is commonly used to save developers time allowing them to make one application then release on OSi, Android and Blackbery. At times WAC is released on windows as well.

Clarence Moon
    “Nothing at all. Linux is not Android and never will be.”
    Stuff fact here Android will at some point be part of GNU/Linux distrobutions as an optional runtime.

Android kernel will be Mainline Linux Kernel the is mandate by the hardware makers of Android devices Google has no option here bar to go along with it.

So future GNU/Linux distrobutions. Will run all Android applications + all WAC applications + the Extra applications for the GNU/Linux repos. And then a little compatibility to windows.

So closed source comes to Linux through a side door of WAC and Android.

GNU/Linux will be Android with Extras.

31. You can run Android on GNU/Linux and get the best both worlds.

32. Clarence Moon says:

You ignore the obvious, Mr. Pogson. Certainly developers, in the guise of product software vendors, are aware of the app market for Android apps and iOS apps as well. Virtually every one of the successful ones is now available for iOS and Android both. For that matter many are available for WP7. A phone app is typically a lightweight sort of thing when compared to a PC application such as MS Office or Quicken. They are easy to make in multiple versions.

But that does nothing to promote conventional Linux on the desktop. Nothing at all. Linux is not Android and never will be.

33. kozmcrae says:

Clarence, you are such a fool. You deny the obvious with a straight face apparently.

34. Clarence Moon wrote, of “mind-share for developers”, “No evidence of that whatsoever”.

Chuckle. Clarence Moon must believe software is found under mushrooms. Developers make software, Clarence, and a Hell of a lot of them are aware of Android/Linux, know Android/Linux is taking the world by storm, and want to get a piece of the action. That’s mind-share.

35. Clarence Moon says:

Android/Linux has mind-share for developers, OEMs and retailers

No evidence of that whatsoever, Mr. Pogson. Android is Android and is something used on non-iPhone phones and non-iPad tablets. Windows is what is used on non-Macintosh computers, which are most of the computers made and sold today.