Besides changes like eliminating the one cent coin (which costs 1.5 cents to manufacture…) there is actually some modernization of IT in the budget:
- reduction of travel by means of video-conferencing,
- reduction of paper documents by means of electronic documents,
- easier access to venture capital and government procurement for small businesses,
- improvement of several government websites,
- consolidation of information technology (43 divisions unified…, one e-mail system, 300 data-centres consolidated into 20, savings ramping up to $150 million per annum),
Well, there’s no mention of cutting off M$’s cash cow, but at least they are finally looking at price/performance in IT, so it should not be long… Consolidation of data-centres may have that effect. They’ve already made moves to give FLOSS a level playing-field.