“This Is Crazy. I Hate It.”

That’s what someone’s Dad said when faced with “8”… “There’s nothing intuitive about it… How in the world will I get to my programmes?”

Chuckle. I am sure the trolls who visit my blog will say that consumers are demanding “8” but I don’t see it in this example. I don’t know anyone who uses XP that wanted to migrate to Vista or “7” let alone “8”. This is not going to fly in the market. GNU/Linux is a better option.

15 Responses to “This Is Crazy. I Hate It.”

1. oe says:

It tried the consumer preview, was pretty confusing like the 12.04 presice pangolin beta1. Certianly a lot of Youtube videos panning both….

2. It wasn’t a teller but a manager. I was collecting my various sources of pension income… One of the rights of passage of old guys who have had many employers. No need to look over a shoulder, either. The monitor swivelled. Paper was printed. I signed, signed and signed again on the various lines.

3. Clarence Moon says:

My banker was showing me stuff on her monitor a few weeks ago.

That may offer a glimmer into why your outlook is so quaint, Mr. Pogson. Around here, you are penalized if you actually use a teller to do a transaction although the drive-through is still at no extra charge. You are encouraged to use Quicken or the bank’s own app on your iPad or phone to do your transactions. You can even deposit personal checks into your account by scanning or taking a photo and sending it to the bank.

If you should venture inside, you will find the tellers ensconced behind an inch thick polycarbonate wall with pass-through drawers. No more vaulting over the counter like in the movies.

In any case, there’s no peeking over their shoulders to see their monitors. I would be pretty certain that they run a full screen app anyway and it would not have any identifying marks that might reveal the OS.

Chances are they are using OS/2 at that. At one time, IBM had most all of the teller workstation business.

4. Yep. We won’t see “8” any time soon. My banker was showing me stuff on her monitor a few weeks ago. I said, “Is that IE 6?” and she had no idea. We looked at Help/about and found it was. I explained the situation and suggested she enquire upstream when they were going to modernize. No feedback since. I expect many will keep XP going on private networks as long as they can. End of support in 2014 looks like Doomsday scenario for that other OS in large enterprises. They will migrate to web applications running anything but that other OS. They are in business to do business, not to prop up M$’s business. There’s no upside to Wintel for business.

5. Andrew says:

The original premise for getting the commodity os into an enterprise environment was to get a familiar ui a user was accustomed with so productivity would rise and off the shelf s/w was inexpensive at the time. Enterprise bought into that. The user is still familiar and comfortable with the ui and does not wish to change. There’s the wall. Go into any gov., state or local agency and look at their monitors; you’ll see xp/nt4 UI’s not vista/7.

6. The Dad did not see it that easy. He hunted all over the screen with his pointer. I have not seen such a magic button in screenshots.

The thing that for 20 years has made GUIs desirable by all classes of PC-users is that a good GUI is self-explanatory. You click or hover and gather information on who does what and carry on. Clearly, “8” is broken as a GUI. There have been all kinds of snide remarks that “Dad” is an old fool if he does not know enough to click the M$-button. Hell, I have used keyboards for a decade and never knew that key did anything. I expect many others are in the same boat who have used that other OS for many years. If they cannot find it with the mouse, it’s not there for people.

7. Clarence Moon says:

A GNU/Linux desktop is a lot more familiar to people coming from XP than “8″.

Have you tried it yourself? The Consumer Preview is free, just like Linux, so that should warm your soul.

I’m not as stodgy-dodgy thick as the guy in the video, I think, so I had no real problem with using it. Just click on Desktop and your good old WinForms are just like you saw way back in the XP days.

That said, I don’t like it, as in:

Do you like the Windows 8?
    I do not like it, Mister P!

Would you like it here or there?

I would not like it here or there.
    I would not like it anywhere.
    I do not like Windows 8.
    I do not like it, Mister P!

Would you use it in your house?
    Would you use it with your mouse?

I would not use it in my house.
    I would not use it with my mouse.
    I would not like it here or there.
    I would not like it anywhere!
    I will not use free Windows 8,
    I do not like it, Mister P.

Maybe on a phone or tablet, though.

8. M$ is forcing people to change. People don’t want to change. When the personal cost of changing to the next release of M$’s OS is greater than the cost of changing to another OS, people will change the OS. That’s been true with Android/Linux and it is true of GNU/Linux as well. Vista was one step that caused a lot of businesses and governments to look at alternatives just as NT to XP was a decade ago. “8” will be another. A GNU/Linux desktop is a lot more familiar to people coming from XP than “8”.

9. Clarence Moon says:

At the end of the day, though we can only take away the facts presented here, namely that 10 minutes of training by a half-hearted, smart alec kid is enough to get an old guy minimally functional with Windows 8 and that, if someone is not convinced to buy it, they stay with their old Windows. Not much in that to thrill the Linux fans.

10. oe says:

“I thought “Unity” was pretty lame. “Metro” makes “Unity” look positively sleek and sophisticated by comparison.”

I was grumbling (and still am) myself about Shuttleworth pushing Unity, but unlike Apple and MS, it looks like a real polished attempt to unify mobile and the desktop in a seamless interface. At least in the beauty of FOSS you can get into the guts of the system (or lean on hacks who can) and roll back to GNOME/KDE/XFCE it’s all good with it’s Debian core. In hindsight, kudos to Shuttleworth for pushing it ahead, with a company with 1/100th the market cap of the other two he’ll pull it off while the others are catching up wannabe’s (this on several fronts like an AppStore (around for a decade in GNU/Linux by the dry name integrated package management, architectural independent (ARM, x86, Alpha, MIPS, etc.), intergrated Cloud storage (Ubuntu One), integrated social networking (in Lucid Lynx), usb3 support, and so on). Funny that FOSS seems to enjoy the cutting edge more than the two mainstream alternatives.

11. lpbbear says:

I read elsewhere that it was pretty bad but after seeing the video…..its beyond bad, its horrible.

I “get” where they are going with it but I seriously doubt many users will want to go there with M$FT……willingly.

My take is that they are finally getting around to finishing that “circling of the wagons” mentality in product design I mentioned here quite a while back. I think their goal is to make this so “in house” and proprietary that they manage to exclude all other competitors and fellow travelers that have hitched a ride on the M$FT wagon train. In my opinion that is going to also exclude users by turning them off completely due to the really crappy design implementation they have here. I thought “Unity” was pretty lame. “Metro” makes “Unity” look positively sleek and sophisticated by comparison.

Based on what the video shows it appears M$FT believes users are going to want to abandon the mouse in favor of using their fingers to gesture their way through the OS and applications. Love that endlessly long program list sliding off to the right of the screen in the video! What a braniac design! (I take back every thing I ever said about KDE 4’s silly overly large default program menu!) 🙂

I can see a profitable bright future in monitor screen cleaning utilities and screen surface protectors! 🙂

12. Yes. It is truly amazing that M$ has spent $billions convincing the world that M$ has divine wisdom when it comes to UI but M$ now wants the world to believe M$ was wrong all along… 😎 This is like Vista all over again. M$ has put its priorities way ahead of the consumers’.

The Dad in the clip is exactly like me and 4 other adults who spent hours setting up M$’s OS on a new machine a few years ago. We could not get the “Office” package open having never done that before and having 50+ year old eyes. We could not get the anti-virus app to install despite several decades of experience with that other OS amongst us, and when we finally did hack open the “Office” package, none of us could find the menus… I had suggested to the consumer that she should “decline” but the machine had been flown 400 miles to the community and it was expensive to ship back. After 4 hours she said, “I never would have started if I had known how long it would take.” Was she a satisfied customer? Will she look around before buying her next PC? Will she remember Vista-incapable? Will she think of GNU/Linux?

13. Andrew says:

Buddy Rich at Ronnie Scott’s said, “Keep the customer satisfied”.

This is the typical user you want to sell your product to. Throughout the the video stream he asks , “where is the start button?”. How much coding would it take to give him what he needs to keep him in his comfort zone.

14. jon says:

Very analogous to the fuss about Unity and Gnome 3. People,it seems, are pretty conservative about this sort of thing. Interface changes that are prompted by the delivery of new capabilities are more likely to be well received. However, we’ve seen a number of interface changes recently that make users learn new ways to do the same old thing.

On the other hand, I don’t think Win95 or Gnome 2 solved the interface problem for all time, so I applaud people who focus on better solutions.

15. Typical Troll says:

Hi. I’m a typical troll to Pogson’s blog. I am now going to use a combination of condencending remarks and ad hominem attacks so you know that Pogson is obviously not intellectual despite his accolades and that he such a bad person while I am morally superior:

Windows 8 is fine Pog, get your head checked. Also Ubuntu and Debian suxx, and you desktop is poopy.

Note: I am probably possible not being paid by Microsoft (R) forthespecificpurposeofspreadingourmessagethroughouttheinternet (R). Where do you want to go to… oops, did I just say that? I told you, I’m not not working for Microsoft. There is a 95% chance that I am. Not. That’s what I meant. Totally legitimate, completely trustworthy. Also, I totally recommend Office 2012 with Windows 8 DP for totally independent reasons. I am an independent critic, obviously. Don’t look at the man behind the curtain.