Hype About iPads

In the frenzy to post about iPad, I thought it would be useful to report that on Amazon.com’s most popular list, the top 3 are

• Kindle Fire,
  • ASUS Transformer, and
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab.

You have to get to fourth spot and a price cut to see iPad2. Chuckle. There are reasons for that. The world does not owe Apple a living. Apple has to compete on price/performance to maintain prominence in IT. Apple has the price but not the price/performance that people seek. In 2011, iPad did very well, but in Q4 2011, dropped to around 50% share from the good old days of 2010 when they were around 80% of the units shipped in the tablet market.

9 Responses to Hype About iPads

1. aardvark says:

@kosmcrae:

That “one real comment” would be yours, I assume.

At last! A true successor to Louis XIV!

You kinda spoiled it with the follow-on comment, though.

2. kozmcrae says:

831 Spam Comments Blocked so far and one real comment.

3. kozmcrae says:

@ldman said:

“Unfortunately, Pog, you don’t get something for nothing.”

Robert Pogson didn’t say: “You get something for nothing.”

@ldman said:

“The “good tablets” from Amazon and Barns and Noble are good for little more content consumption from their perspective vendors, and what I have seen in the way of $100.00 tablets are probably little better than eBook Readers, and limited ones at that.”

Of course @ldman, and Moore’s Law takes a break for a few years.

Defending entrenched proprietary interests is easy — Look no further than the end of your nose.

4. Clarence Moon says:

I would have to put in a plug for the Kindle Fire, Oldman. I think it goes way beyond just being “good for little more content consumption from its respective vendor”. It does, of course, interact very well with Amazon’s book store, but it works flawlessly with Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime video streaming services.

Plus it plays the mp3s and all the Angry Birds titles. The browser is nothing to brag about, but it is serviceable and you can read email as well as you can with any other device. It’s a total flop in my opinion when it comes to doing anything requiring extensive input, such as commenting on this blog, but that is the case with all the tablets, large or small.

All in all, I think it shines as a personal entertainment device and I really do not see where an iPad has anything significant to claim as an advantage over the larger size Android devices. Since they’re dropping the price for the iPad 2 now, with the introduction of the iPad 3, I don’t see the Android devices getting much traction since they are at about the same price point and $50 or even $100 difference is too small to overcome the Apple brand panache.

5. oldman says:

“here are some good tablets around $200 and some usable ones around $100.”

Unfortunately, Pog, you don’t get something for nothing. The “good tablets” from Amazon and Barns and Noble are good for little more content consumption from their perspective vendors, and what I have seen in the way of $100.00 tablets are probably little better than eBook Readers, and limited ones at that.

“Choice is good”

Only when its real.

6. Granted, the price is not what I would want to pay but they are picking up bites in the wake of iPad and will lower prices sooner or later. Compared to ATX case or notebook plus monitor, keyboard and mouse the outlay is not that much out of line. They are small but not cheap. Small is a virtue. There are some good tablets around $200 and some usable ones around $100. Choice is good.

7. oldman says:

“Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, “full HD video playback (1080p) @ 30 fps”.”

Not bad, but also not in the same class as the new iPad and at between $370.00 and $499.00 US not you vaunted small cheap computer.

8. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, “full HD video playback (1080p) @ 30 fps”.

9. oldman says:

“The world does not owe Apple a living. Apple has to compete on price/performance to maintain prominence in IT. Apple has the price but not the price/performance that people seek.”

Dont you mean that apple doesn’t produce the cheap crappy computers that Robert Pogson seeks?

As far as not being worth the money, Please show me an HD capable Android tablet from ANY of you favorites Pog, eh.