Linux 3.3/3.4 Will Be Androidian

“The 3.3 kernel release will let you boot an Android userspace with no modifications, but not very good power management. The 3.4 kernel release will hopefully have the power management hooks that Android needs in it, along with a few other minor missing infrastructure pieces that didn’t make it into the 3.3 kernel release.”

Linux 3.3-rc2 is on Kernel.org so it should be just a few weeks before Android/Linux is back to the standard kernel or rather the standard kernel is back to Android/Linux. This will make it much easier for GNU/Linux and Android/Linux to coexist and much easier to bring Android/Linux to a huge mass of ARM/x86/amd64 hardware. It’s all good.

M$, FLOSS is way ahead of you. Is there a shortage of apps in GNU/Linux? The pool just grew by hundreds of thousands. If “it’s all about the apps” then FLOSS is winning. There may still be a few “legacy” apps outside the fold but they will soon hop on the bus.

see Muktware – Soon You Will Be Running Android On Your PCs

60 Responses to Linux 3.3/3.4 Will Be Androidian

1. oldman says:

“If I knew I wouldn’t be wasting my time repeating myself over and over and over again to you guys. I’d be making money providing the next “big” thing.”

Mr. K. it is obvious that you dont know a lot of things beyond the fact that FOSS on linux works for you personally. Yet that doesnt stop you from commenting even when you are way out of your depth.

As to “repeating yourself oven and over again”. that is a problem you bring on youself as you butt in to conversations that are not directed at you.

Dont like it, dont post.

2. oldman says:

“I said, “That’s the desktop metaphor. It works well with business. It was designed for business. “THAT’S *NOT* WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE MOBILE DEVICES.””

You see Mr. K. you can’t circumvent the implications of what you are saying. It is those implications that I had in mind when this exchange started. The question becomes, what is going on on mobile devices? Do you think that tasks change?

I know you dont like having to answer the ebil troll, but that what you get to do in this subjectjust like I get to listen to you.

3. Kozmcrae says:

“I kind of wonder what you think an idealized, smartphone-based business world would base itself upon, though. Twitter perhaps?”

You failed in your search so you provided some words for me. How generous of you. Thanks but NO THANKS! You interpreted my words in the way you wanted them to be. You have to mangle them to get them the way you wanted them.

How much clearer can that be? That is not “implying” that people will be doing mundane desktop tasks with their mobile devices now is it @ldman and now Flying Toaster? NOW IS IT?

You will fail to acknowledge your misstep. It was a minor one and could have been settled with a simple acknowledgment and that would have been the end of it. But no, you have to try to beat it to death because you are simply not man enough to accept that you were wrong. No matter how trivial it may be. And now Flying Toaster has to get into the act. Hey, any other Cult of Microsoft members want in on this? @ldman doesn’t show any sign of slowing down on it.

4. oldman says:

The Toasters comment illustrates my point. If indeed the desktop metaphor is being replaced by the mobile device, then the implication is that the same tasks should be performable. Ergo, you did in you own way imply that it would be doable on mobile devices.

5. Flying Toaster says:

No @ldman, I never implied it, not at all, in any universe. If you think I did, then go dig it up. Or shut up.

No you didn’t. There’s a reason I quoted you on that “disruptive technologies” thing. Here’s the original text

“That’s not what is going on with the mobile devices. Just as the PC and the desktop were disruptive technologies so are the mobile devices and the software that goes with them.”

Just imagine a project report going like this:

“@Boss OMG!!! Everything’s going fine. Am I going to get a raise? UGH! LULZ!!! #initech_sux”

That would be a riot, wouldn’t it?

6. Kozmcrae says:

@ @ldman

“In your dreams Scheißekopf.”

I was giving you an out. So much for that. Here’s the original text.

“But you have implied it and thats enough.”

So @ldman shuts up. Good for you @ldman.

So show me where I have implied that users of mobile devices will be using “mundane desktop applications”. You made an accusation. Withdraw it or prove it if you can.

7. Flying Toaster says:

oldman “anades” I have find a lookup for this one for old english. That seams Spanish. If it is spanish so it is tainted old english I can work it all out. If not you have found a old english word I don’t know.

In other news, Doc Brown powers time-travelling Delorean with stolen plutonium from Libyan terrorists.

From all I have seen in old english there are no ana or [ae]na words. From memory it was something about the phonetics. Of course there is always a chance I have never had to use that word.

Farley sure I am getting the meaning without that word. Does match our stubbornness.

ἀκρίβωμα and ἀδαημονίη both by char set look greek. Greek and Spanish are not languages I am anywhere near skilled with.

9. Flying Toaster says:

Correction:

I am -> I have

10. oldman says:

“Following my family tree required documents requires reading old english. Large sections of it were written in it and by tradition new sections are also written in old english.”

ROFLMAO. Yet one more example of your ἀκρίβωμα … or is that ἀδαημονίη. Of course the joy of nyms is that you cant prove that you aren’t just making that story up and are just a very good and fast lookup.

At any rate, I leave you with one more translation effort. You may find it amusing and relevant to us both.

11. Flying Toaster says:

I am a feeling that this discussion is going to hit 88MPH very, very soon.

oldman funny part is that it not the positive translation its the only correct translation. Waste and Desert for ánad is only for non living items.

This is the part of old english you have to watch context. Context of text alters how it can translate. As soon as you refereed to a living item you locked out two translation options and left only one word.

“hwa in scoldan” is always more fun than in use. in=in are the same word in old and modern english. Its just flare using beinnan or innan. Normally scribe of someone rich to show off use the longer forms of those. Some things I am clearer in old english. Most because there are some old english words with very particular meaning with no modern day english equal. That is also the fun of old english you can have 5 words that are absolutely the same thing completely interchangeable.

13. oldman says:

“Nice poorly done attempt at a old english insult oldman. ”

Considering I havent done any translation work in over 25 years I actually think that I did quite well. Tenses are a bitch in old english. I probably should have just dropped the þæt and been happy with referring to you as Mr. ánad beinnan héafod.

Given the level to which you take youself seriously I am not surprised that you took the more positive translation.

As far as your offer to write to me in old english, go right ahead! It make take me a while to digest, but I will get it eventually.

And whoi knows it may actually be clearer than your modern english ;-).

14. oldman says:

“So @ldman shuts up. Good for you @ldman.”

In your dreams Scheißekopf.

15. kozmcrae says:

“But you have implied it and thats enough.”

So @ldman shuts up. Good for you @ldman.

16. kozmcrae says:

“Actually my world is more real than yours…”

It wouldn’t appear any other way to you, now would it?

“No content, just insult,…”

You suck. That’s and insult. The former is an observation. It seems you have trouble knowing the difference (this statement is also an observation). By the way, neither insult nor observation needs content.

You really do have trouble with these comments @ldman. You remember things that were never said. You read into comments statements that were never made. Get a grip man. You are making a fool of yourself.

17. oldman says:

“Who wants fruit tarts”

ROFLMAO

18. Flying Toaster says:

I was tempted to write this explain in old english but then you would not have got it oldman.

Who wants fruit tarts?

19. Clarence Moon says:

Why does the thought of “Rainman” keep cropping up when I read these things?:-)

Clarence Moon you skip over that the Windows version of the Eee PC was a high spec machine in hardware.

Now this is not a fair fight. Result was Linux users needing more spec had to buy the windows version and convert it. The worse selling EeePC model ever did not have Linux drivers.

All current day Eee PC are Linux supporting in hardware.

This is the problem Clarence Moon. Linux users have been buying and converting Windows base Eee PC and you can trace that to sales numbers. Particular the collapse of 900SD and 900HD in sales. Issue with Linux compatibility saw sales drop.

Nice poorly done attempt at a old english insult oldman. You need to go back and do your home work. You screwed it up. “accusitive feminine” or “plural nominative or accusative” for you first word. Head is only 1 item you can not use plural with it unless I am some kind of strange beast. So neither way þá works. Accusitive feminine for a person you don’t know sex of or is male proves yourself as scum.

The correct insult/praise þæt ánad beinnan héafod

ánad can equal solitude so “solitude in head” Is basically free thinker past outside influence. Great praise in fact. I guess you were going for the other context. I guess you were going for a different meaning oldman not praise. I think you better stick to modern english insults next time.

21. Clarence Moon says:

“It was M$ that demanded a version with that other OS, and an exclusive deal at that.”

Do you have any supportive evidence for such a claim? I do not see how that could even work in practice.

How would Microsoft “demand” a version with Windows? They sell their products to those who want them, plain and simple. They have created a product image for the mass market of consumers who buy computers and are able to set the rules for distribution of Windows OS versions, but they can hardly “demand” that an OEM sell Windows on any particular product line.

Further, they are under constant scrutiny by the watchdog committees set up in the USA and EU to ensure that there is no such leverage applied by Microsoft to companies that might want to use something else. For the past decade, they have been closely watched in this regard.

People “on the go” liked netbooks for their portability, but they needed Windows for consistency with their prior experiences. That need has given way somewhat to using non-Windows methods to access e-mail and other internet information via the popular smart phone and tablet “apps” that are now as familiar to consumers as Windows programs. These apps have achieved a level of acceptability that can ignore branding of an operating system.

Product differentiation has become much more hardware based for tablets and phones than existed post PS/2 with PCs. People want iPads or iPhones or Razrs or Droids or Kindles today and the product image is the overall hardware appearance image and not the Windows flag and the Intel Inside logo.

There is no doubt that Microsoft has missed the boat on this new industry and is not likely to be able to recoup because of consumer indifference to any OS based look and feel. But they still rule the roost in regard to PC appearance and consumer expectations for such devices and I do not think that buyers are going to want a PC to work like a phone and be amenable to such a device.

I do not believe that there will be any significant reduction in the amount of business done in the PC arena either, nor do I think that the classic shares of this market will change much as time marches on. There are segments that may grow more quickly than others and PCs are starting to diversify a lot themselves, such as the tiny set-top units that expect to be connected to a HDTV for display or the all in one, touch screen units from Dell and HP and Sony.

22. oiaohm wrote, “Windows vs Linux on the same spec hardware would be nice.”

Dell and HP occasionally showed that but it is routine in Brazil and Malaysia. I think Dell is doing that in China, too. That single action, side-by-side competition on retail shelves will kill the monopoly. 90+% that other OS is clearly unnatural. We see a significant share for any OS displayed to the public, even MacOS in China. M$ is diversified but their other divisions depend directly or indirectly on the desktop monopoly which is threatened. Wintel is a house of cards and the retail monopoly is the foundation.

23. Clarence Moon again tried to revise history when he wrote, “people were not satisfied with this Linux monopoly and demanded a Windows version of the netbook.”

It was M$ that demanded a version with that other OS, and an exclusive deal at that. The GNU/Linux versions sold out for months with ASUS at maximum rate of production. They redoubled monthly production capacity for several months and shipped hundreds of thousands per month for nearly six months. Other OEMs have been able to sell GNU/Linux versions continuously because they had no exclusive deal with M$.

24. Clarence Moon says:

It is relevant to note that the most popular OS in Brasil by an order of magnitude is Windows in its various release levels. Ditto Russia. Ditto India. Ditto China. Ditto Malaysia.

In 2007, the low price eeePC netbook was 100% Linux when Linux was the only OS available on it. It sold in the hundreds of thousands. Interestingly enough, people were not satisfied with this Linux monopoly and demanded a Windows version of the netbook. Less than a year later the Linux version was dead and the Windows versions were being sold in the tens of millions.

25. oldman says:

“It wouldn’t appear any other way to you, now would it?”

No content, just insult, Typical for þá ánad beinnan héafod.

Not even Linux users in most cases by the way were buying the bottom of the line Asus models. Reason storage on them was too small.

ASUS had basically made a decoy product. Windows vs Linux on the same spec hardware would be nice.

Flying Toaster of course what I say have to be made up because it don’t match your fake reality.

This is when you see the first dip in Eee PC sales.

The Linux product might have not been selling. But it was giving people something to say they had not bought bottom of the pile.

The Linux version even that it was not selling was doing something quite important for Asus. Humans are poor at comparing things.

Flying Toaster I have done my homework and the result is Asus should not have stopped selling the Linux version. Linux version was assisting them to sell the Windows version.

Oldman misses why it fell off. No one buys the complete bottom of pile item if they can avoid it. Removing the Linux version make the Windows version bottom of pile so killing sales.

Yes this is basic salesman 101.

28. Flying Toaster says:

oldman EeePC fall off lines with tablets and ASUS not providing Linux Models.

A source-less wall of nonsensical text, as usual.

Is showing your working or having a proper list of references that hard for you?

29. Kozmcrae says:

“Actually my world is more real than yours…”

It wouldn’t appear any other way to you, now would it?

oldman EeePC fall off lines with tablets and ASUS not providing Linux Models.

Yes a place might not sell many Linux Models but it gave something to up-sell from. Its called the decoy choice you make a product sell more by providing something you expect no one or very few to buy. ASUS killed there decoy choice.

When ASUS was releasing windows only versions with no Linux versions in a market there sales fell off massively.

Don’t underestimate the free advertising the Linux world can give you also don’t underestimate a Linux device as a decoy choice.

There are a lot of lessons from what ASUS did.

Ivan there are 4 independent open source projects called angry tux. A few have to die or change name.

31. oldman says:

“ASUS could not keep up with demand when they released eeePC with GNU/Linux in 2007 in USA.”

And I seem to recall that once the market discovered the limitations of the eeePC the sales fell off dramatically.

32. Flying Toaster says:

Brazil, Russia, China, India, Malaysia, you know, over more than half the globe. (Italics mine)

Q: How do you justify weasel words in your argument?

Pogson’s answer: With equivocation

33. Clarence Moon wrote, ” where on earth do very many people buy a PC with GNU/Linux installed”

Brazil, Russia, China, India, Malaysia, you know, over more than half the globe. Even the USA has thriving businesses that sell GNU/Linux PCs. ASUS could not keep up with demand when they released eeePC with GNU/Linux in 2007 in USA.

34. Clarence Moon says:

Oh, where on earth do very many people buy a PC with GNU/Linux installed, Mr. Pogson? Get real. Yes people buy smart phones and Android tablets and there are Linux computers offered for sale on obscure websites in the US and elsewhere, but that does not make for a “many millions” sort of mainstream product. It is a rara avis to find a Linux computer anywhere as evidenced by your own statistics.

If you ask a hundred people about their desktop/laptop usage, maybe 1 will talk of Linux. They are simply not found in the more normal distribution channels, though.

35. Clarence Moon wrote, “People unwilling to pay for a product will go to extremes to steal Windows than to simply use Linux at no charge.”

Nope. Most people buy a PC with OS installed. Many don’t care/don’t know/have no way of knowing whether the copy is legal or not. These same people are unlikely to install GNU/Linux but many do buy a PC with GNU/Linux installed and according to the licence, they are automatically legal because the licence accompanies the software. Many millions of people had to buy a PC with GNU/Linux each year to maintain ~1%+ share. Now that the share is rising rapidly it stands to reason that more are buying a PC with GNU/Linux installed.

36. Ivan says:

He’s just upset because both versions of Angry Tux are dead in the water.

37. Clarence Moon says:

The piracy rate on Windows is far higher than the usage rate of Linux as you note, Mr. Oiaohm. People unwilling to pay for a product will go to extremes to steal Windows than to simply use Linux at no charge. The fact that such a thing implies that computer users find much more value in Windows than in Linux seems to have eluded your analysis, however.

Ivan
    “Oh, wait that would require far more than the kernel… A user base that paid for things might help, too. But let’s face it, ya’ll are cheap”

Interesting. Linux user base is not cheap. Linux Conferences are fully commercial you don’t get in the door without paying stuff.

Piracy rate is higher on Windows. So windows users are more likely not to pay but to steal.

Linux is more likely to clone than steal. http://filmsbykris.com/pop/ Leading to some very strange things. So might give you some new creative ideas for improving the game.

So even Linux users who don’t pay are useful.

39. oldman says:

“You have fallen into this trap of your own making many times @ldman. You see what you want to see and not was actually said. You live in this world that constantly reaffirms your beliefs, only it’s not all real.”

Actually my world is more real than yours my dear ánade beinnan héafod. It is a world in which windows and Linux FOSS and non FOSS each have their place, each in its own role. It is a place where neither is going anywhere.

40. Kozmcrae says:

On second thought, I have stated that for many people the new mobile devices will be their first experience with a computer. I have further stated that they wouldn’t know a spreadsheet from a bed sheet. I said they would not be using these devices the way we use our desktops but in new ways we haven’t even thought of.

That’s what you will find if you bother to look for what you think I implied @ldman.

41. Kozmcrae says:

“But you have implied it and thats enough.”

42. oldman says:

“You are probably giving too much credit to someone that uses the word “disruptive” to describe business-oriented technologies.”

I am well aware of what I am doing.

remember the parting words of the great doctor:

þu stunge álærest þæs bearges forgrindet, ic anades ándaga ond tmendes þæs bearges.

Sit back and watch the show.

43. oldman says:

“Now run along sonny boy. The adults have work to do.”

EXCELLENT!

Oldmans proud.

our little Mr. K is learning from the ebil trolls…

“Anyone who tries to make this about me is desperate to marginalize the fact that Linux 3.3/3.4 Will Be Androidian.”

Oh it is about you my dear FOSS for brains. You seem to think that because Pog as declared that a future linux kernel will be able to boot “the Android userspace” it will be one more step towards game set and match for Linux.

Never mind the fact that there are so many technical steps that need to happen to make this really work.

Never mind the fact that commercial vendors and ISV’s have to be convinced that it will make them enough money to offer it for sale on their hardware.

Never mind the fact that the application creators will need to be convinced to support the use of their applications on this OS.

Under the best timetable that I can think of we are talking somewhere between 3 and 5 years before the new hybrid might begin to make a mark outside teh community that wants it. By then windows 8 will have been out for a few years on both x86-64 and ARM. If it tanks, then we will be livin in interesting times. If on the other hand it is a success on both platforms, then this milestone will be little better than a footnote in history.

Guess which outcome we think will be my dear ánade beinnan héafod?

44. Flying Toaster says:

Have you ever tried to use one of the cheaper android tablets to perform those mundane tasks you speak of

45. oldman says:

“When have I ever said that people would be doing the mundane tasks they do on the desktop on a mobile device? I’ll save you the trouble of looking and give you a little clue, NEVER!”

But you have implied it and thats enough. Butr I will stand corrected and restate my question.

Eh, my dear ánade beinnan héafod?

46. kozmcrae says:

“As an aside, have you actually tried to use a phone as a platform for the so called mundane tasks that you seem to thing it is sufficient for.”

47. kozmcrae says:

“Sorry Pog, but its so limited as to be nearly useless.
    Nice try though.”

Nice try @ldman.

48. kozmcrae says:

“Say, kozmcrae, you’re the one who apparently insists on calling people with “impaired cognitive abilities” “retarded citizens” … … …”

The discussion is not about me or “retarded citizens”. It’s about Hanson’s lack of sensitivity and disrespect for people who are unable to defend themselves.

That’s what I’m talking about. The real discussion here is Linux 3.3/3.4 Will Be Androidian. I would like to get back to that but Hanson needs to apologize, not to me though.

Anyone who tries to make this about me is desperate to marginalize the fact that Linux 3.3/3.4 Will Be Androidian. The Cult of Microsoft will never miss an opportunity to divert a discussion about a Linux success into anything else that’s trivial.

49. kozmcrae says:

“And you are going to do exactly what if he doesnt Mr. K?”

Remind him and you for that matter, that in attempting to insult us you have insulted a class of people who are unable to defend themselves.

Now run along sonny boy. The adults have work to do.

50. oldman says:

“oldman, see my latest post about AutoCad for Android. It’s a Free App on Android Market. Since Android’s Linux core is now coming back to Kernel.org, we may yet see AutoCad running on GNU/Linux in an Android environment.”

Sorry Pog, but its so limited as to be nearly useless.
    Nice try though.

51. Conzo says:

52. oldman, see my latest post about AutoCad for Android. It’s a Free App on Android Market. Since Android’s Linux core is now coming back to Kernel.org, we may yet see AutoCad running on GNU/Linux in an Android environment.

53. oldman says:

“Insignificant in that nobody choosing a mobile device would be planning to design the next generation tactical air superiority fighter jet on it.”

Nor would they be doing generalized computing on it for that matter.

ANd just what exactly is your notion of mundane tasks?

54. oldman says:

“Own your transgressions or go away and don’t come back until you’ve learned to live with the rest of us.”

And you are going to do exactly what if he doesnt Mr. K?

55. kozmcrae says:

““Freetard” is a specific insult that, while deliberately suggesting the word “retard”, has no intention whatsoever to insult people whose cognitive abilities are impaired in any way.”

You arrogant bastard. The word “Freetard” has no mind of its own and is incapable of “intentions”. That is an incredibly lame attempt to slough off your insults. Why don’t you just say you’re not man enough to admit you transgressed and insulted members of society who are unable to defend themselves against people like you.

“Done something similar?”

During three extended periods in my life I gave my time and talents to retarded citizens. I was fortunate to have an early start in volunteer service. In addition to my adult service when I was 15 I played regular gigs for retarded citizens in my garage band. It was fun and gave me valuable experience.

So now you see why I’m calling you on your verbal abuse of people who cannot defend themselves. You may have done service for them in the past. Personally I think you are a lying rat bastard. Either way, you’ve lost any compassion you may have had for them.

56. Ivan says:

“The pool just grew by hundreds of thousands.”

Hey, you might be able to play a native Angry Birds now!

Oh, wait that would require far more than the kernel… A user base that paid for things might help, too. But let’s face it, ya’ll are cheap.

Now trot out the humblebundle stats that show you aren’t cheap.

57. Hanson says:

“Hanson fails by insulting a class of people who have no control over their condition. A class of people who depend on the kindness and generosity of the rest of society. Hanson defines himself as having none of those redeeming qualities.”

My dear Kotz. There are three things you don’t understand:

If I insulted anyone I insulted Mr. Robert Pogson alone. “Freetard” is a specific insult that, while deliberately suggesting the word “retard”, has no intention whatsoever to insult people whose cognitive abilities are impaired in any way. Quite on the contrary: “freetard” suggests that those people are, in fact, not mentally retarded. It makes fun of the fact that freetards will talk you death, going on and on about FLOSS, when originally you just asked them a simple question that had nothing to do with FLOSS. Being a freetard means being a social retard. And deliberately so.

There is NO single word for impaired cognitive abilities that won’t be felt as insulting by some.

A while ago you still had to do compulsory military service in Germany. When it was my turn I exercised my right to do civil service instead. I worked in a “Sonderschule”, a special school for children with disabilities considered too severe as for them to attend a normal school.

Done something similar? I would suggest that you stop talking out of your ass.

58. kozmcrae says:

“Btw, where is the andoid version of Autocad?”

Phenom is attempting to define Linux/Android by an insignificant detail. Insignificant in that nobody choosing a mobile device would be planning to design the next generation tactical air superiority fighter jet on it.

You fail Phenom in trying to marginalize Linux/Android. You fail in promoting uncertainty about it. You fail.

Try again.

You are a rat bastard Hanson.

Go away and don’t come back until you’ve learned to live with the rest of us.

59. Hanson says:

One freetard cites another freetard. How sad. Wasn’t general computing about to die, Pogson? Now you want a glorified smartphone operating system on your PC?

60. Phenom says:

Hm, I’d really like to see how a touch-oriented UI will be usable with a keyboard and a mouse. There is a reason for 8 to support two UI paradigms. 😉

Btw, where is the andoid version of Autocad?