Blessings are gifts, shared things you cannot put a price upon, like “goodwill” in financial statements, but things you know make the world a better place. Last night M$ claimed it was a blessing:
“America has been blessed by our founding fathers, and by being the home of Microsoft.“
That’s shocking and disgusting. The USA has been blessed by the hard work of immigrants, an abundance of natural resources and isolation from the machinations of European states but M$? No way. M$ has cost the USA dearly:
- M$ is a large part of the “ugly American” vision seen around the world. This was reinforced every time the US government went to bat for the monopolist or when M$ tried to bully whole countries into supporting the monopoly.
- M$ has cost the USA many $billions in excessive licensing fees due to monopoly, driven out of business many innovative firms, caused billions of unnecessary re-re-reboots each one costing downtime, caused $billions in losses due to bugs, malware and a total loss of security in IT.
- M$ has locked the USA into a lethal pile of software patents preventing anyone to produce anything innovative while the world advances rapidly.
- Single-handedly, M$ has cost USA leadership in science and technology as the rest of the world uses FLOSS to get products to market faster and used IT more efficiently.
- US businesses are so locked-in to Wintel that they are already years behind the rest of the world in using IT properly in business. The number one priority of businesses should be to make money for the business not M$, the parasite, yet 90% of US businesses are on the Wintel treadmill. In the rest of the world, businesses are embracing ARM, MIPS and FLOSS widely. Foreign businesses can keep hardware running ten years efficiently while US businesses scrap perfectly good PCs after 4 or 5 years. Economic growth has fled the USA as a result.
- Even in taxation, instead of paying the 35% federal rate, M$ hides revenue off-shore and pays effectively 17.5%.
- M$ has $17 billion of unearned revenue on the books. That’s revenue it received for which it has provided no goods or services. A criminal organization that demanded payment as M$ does would be hounded by police forces.
So, where’s the “blessing”?
I recommend Debian GNU/Linux so you can get off the Wintel treadmill and use IT and hardware much more effectively.