Amazon: Kindle Fire Is The Most

• best-seller over 11 weeks
  • sales of over one million per week
  • most successful product ever

I guess that proves

• FLOSS will never sell
  • normal people don’t choose FLOSS
  • FLOSS is not polished enough for the market
  • FLOSS just doesn’t have the developers or the apps

or … not.

Really, the benefits folks have had in the embedded space and in the server space and in the high performance computing space with FLOSS can translate into success in any field. It’s an operating system. It works for you, me and everyone except M$ and its “partners”. They don’t want you to have great price/performance and flexibility to choose. Reject that.

see Amazon Selling ‘Well Over’ 1 Million Kindle Devices Per Week

I recommend Debian GNU/Linux for personal computing on just about anything.

11 Responses to Amazon: Kindle Fire Is The Most

1. Kozmcrae says:

You tell ’em Wally!

2. @Clarence Moone

Thanks for your review of the Kindle and iPad. I think those characteristics support my thesis that FLOSS and other platforms will share the ecosystem and monopoly is finished. Android/Linux systems have the advantage that ithingies are a single source while Android has many. The statistical chaos theory that N things will divide into 1/N fractions makes it likely that Android will have a larger share than iPad eventually, probably within a year or so. A year ago iPad had 80% share. Now it’s approaching 50% and declining. It’s all good. Choice is good.

3. Clarence Moon says:

Everyone here should run out and buy a Kindle Fire and see for themselves how it works. Then the notion that the Fire is just another instance of Android would surely dissipate.

Put the Fire next to the iPad and it is easy to see that they are two different things entirely. The Fire is a portal into Amazon and taps the Amazon content river, including their Prime motion pictre and television library. The iPad is much larger and is plainly designed to run apps just like a smart phone only you cannot make a call.

The iPad is extremely useful, I think, for 3D video games with kids and with making detailed presentations in a business environment. Its larger screen size lends itself to those tasks better than the Fire. The Fire is best for reading book-like things and for casual use where wi-fi is available. It is a lot more mobile than the iPad due to its smaller size.

The Fire is implemented via Android and the iPad via iOS and both seem completely up to the job. No one is paying for either OS directly either.

4. Waldo Frankenhammer III says:

“Its FOSS’ness is limited to base code that all can use, make money off all that free development support and laugh all the way to the bank.”

You’re still kicking that FLOSS-earns-no-money dead horse. It’s not still around out of the goodness of everyone’s heart @ldman. All can use, all can contribute and all can be productive with the code… Productive means earning money.

Would you rather I insult you than make sense? I think you like it that way. Then you don’t have to work your brain too hard.

5. oldman says:

“That “inspired” price point was directly related to FLOSS. Worm your way around that one Clarence.”

No worm at all Mr. K. The license for the commercial OS named android supports the development of closed source applications. Its FOSS’ness is limited to base code that all can use, make money off all that free development support and laugh all the way to the bank.

6. Kozmcrae says:

“…Amazon’s highly visible brand and Amazon’s inspired setting of the $199 price point.”

7. Clarence Moon says:

That said, I don’t see where that is any reason to suspect that “FLOSS” was the key to its success. I think that it owes its demand to Amazon’s highly visible brand and Amazon’s inspired setting of the $199 price point. It rivals the iPad in that people who are satisfied with a Kindle Fire are not likely to also buy an iPad and so Fire buyers represent an erosion in the iPad market potential.

But I don’t think that the two are directly comparable in terms of market share. Their markets intersect in some kind of Venn digram, but their markets are otherwise distinct. Just like the original Kindle developed a huge demand for the personal book reader, the Fire is addressing that market moreso than any general purpose use like the iPad.

As to the importance of FLOSS here, I think that the key is the creation of the market ecosystem that surrounds Android in general. I don’t see users fooling around with the OS and its source. Rather they will just use it like they use a Kindle or iPad now. As long as what is under the hood does not affect their use of the device negatively, they do no care what is under that hood.

Users benefit as more and more products appear and are easy for the non-technical user to acquire. Amazon expects to get lots of money selling books and newspapers that are not directly available to iPad users. I think Apple will get lots of money selling iPads to corporate presenters and game players. People can play many of the same games on the Fire, though and since they were mostly all originally designed for the iPhone, they work as well with Fire as with iPad.

8. Clarence Moon says:

I bought one and I love it! It lacks 3G and a camera, but that is what a smart phone is for, I think, and everyone can have both at fairly low cost. There are wifi hotspots galore, including just about everywhere that I might go with it.

It was $199 and Amazon doesn’t collect any sales tax.

9. Nope. My eyes are too bad. Maybe Santa will send me one. I would find a use for it but I have already too many PCs. They will probably outlast me.

10. Dr Loser says:

Have you bought one, Robert?

11. Kozmcrae says:

And yes, there is more than enough FLOSS in Android to go around.

Would you care to try your end round around that fact Clarence… Hanson… any other Cult of Microsoft member? Sure you would, you can’t help yourselves. The chopping block is waiting for you.