Ubuntu Gets Retail Shelf-Space In 220 Retail Stores In China

While Dell seems mean to GNU/Linux in USA and other developed markets, Dell has agreed with Ubuntu to supply units with Ubuntu GNU/Linux on board to Chinese stores. These stores will have

• branded marketing collateral in-store,
  • trained staff positioning the benefits and advantages of Ubuntu to consumers, and
  • a retail team of Ubuntu merchandisers, set up to support the stores

On a side note, Canonical claims, “With an actively growing base of over 20 million users this represents another significant endorsement from one of the world’s major PC vendors.” That’s more than 1% of the world’s PCs. Since there are several very popular distros in comparison to Ubuntu, that means far more than 1% of the world’s PCs now run GNU/Linux.

see Canonical’s Blog

22 Responses to Ubuntu Gets Retail Shelf-Space In 220 Retail Stores In China

1. M$ did the same thing to Netscape. M$ bought up the installation CDs in Netscape’s channel just to keep Netscape out of more consumer’s hands. It’s small thinking by a small minded company. How insecure do folks have to be to try to sabotage the competition?

2. oldman says:

“When Canonical was giving out CDs, I was requesting them by the dozens and then throwing them away. I did it because I hate Linux and I wanted Canonical to have a false sense of reality.”

Are you for real?

Over and above the fact that your little stunt meant jack squat in the larger thing of things. This is the most immature stunt that I have ever heard of.

Grow up Kid!

3. oldman says:

“This is something else very important where Microsoft products let you down.”

Check your premises.

Microsoft lets no one down. they are a business not a charity. To talk of a business “letting some one down” is IMHO stupid.

You do business with them or not.

all else is IMHO irrelevant bushwah.

4. Phenom says:

It’s all good. 1%.

5. Yes. I found GNU/Linux about 11 years ago. Then I moved on to one school after another and did not meet anyone else who knew about GNU/Linux until about 2004. Lately, I have been finding someone in every community who has used GNU/Linux. Word of mouth may be slow but it is effective. In my own extended family there are still families with no computers but all the younger ones have personal computers and use them more than telephones. They all know about GNU/Linux and a few have tried it. One even works for a large employer who has whole departments running GNU/Linux. Education seems most accepting. Retailers the least, in my community. Ubuntu has definitely accelerated acceptance by various deals with OEMs, schools, governments and businesses. RedHat, Novell and IBM have done a lot too. It’s all good.

Robert Pogson simple fact it was not the only cd that was around at the time being mass produced that could have been got for free.

UNESCO Young Digital Creators Educator’s Kit was another that as free for everyone in the same time frame.

Lets just say like a lot of UN projects the money was not exactly spent wisely for the early years of the projects due to believing people would be good and only take what they required.

Education is in fact one of the UN largest budgets “millions of dollars per year” its more a few billion per year to attempt to develop useful Education resources and work out how to get them to the people who need them.

Idea of CD shipping started in 2004 to get around areas with under developed internet and those who could not afford broadband to download stuff.

Free CD shipping without question by the UNESCO basically all stop 2009-2010.

Yes idea like shipit and other UNESCO free cds at the is a good idea until you get people like Moxy and other wasteful people ordering stuff they will not use.

UNESCO still does up resource packs for those who can prove a need for free. Yes prove need requirement. If you are in a poor area in any country so truly cannot afford to spend budget on the materials UNESCO will provide. Could be Canada, USA, Australia or any other developed country if there is a proven need. UNESCO goals is not just third world.

All UNESCO materials are Creative Common, Open Source Licenses or equal where you can reproduce them as much as you require. This is something else very important where Microsoft products let you down.

Yes Moxy you most likely had no clue the evil you were doing to the how simple accessing education resources will be to people in need. Yes abusing the systems is no laughing matter.

If you truly hate Linux and Open Source show it by having nothing todo with it Moxy. Don’t do stuff that is disruptive to the supply of in some cases required resources.

Its like people stocking up on stacks of anti-virus drugs that they don’t end up using and was over supply for what they could have used. Its hateful and stupid.

7. Mats Hagglund says:

I’ve counted how many Linux-based livecd i’ve downloaded during the last 3½ years – there were 32. With those live-cds i’ved installed Linux to 8 different computers. So the rate is 1:4. I know a shop town were my son is living. Shopkeeper said he had installed Ubuntu (mostly 10.04 LTS) to over a hundred computers. They got only few live-cd:s.

It’s absolutely impossible to estimate how many computers are running with Ubuntu. My guess is somewhere between 12 and 20 million. My son (student) said that surprisingly many of his friends are using Ubuntu or Linux Mint coz there are lots of students who don’t want to pay for OS. 4 years ago Ubuntu and other Linux-distros were much more unknown.

8. Early on, Canonical helped set up computer labs in schools. I would bet that was the project, not Shipit. The UN has not enough money to spray over the globe. We are talking of millions of dollars per year, not peanuts.

Ubuntu is a word from an African language, nothing to do with Canonical in that document although Canonical used that word to name their distro.

In 2009, “All told, Canonical’s annual revenue is creeping toward $30 million, Mr. Shuttleworth said. “

see NY Times.

“UBUNTU DECLARATION” is 2002 at UN.
    There is a resource development program for that starts in 2003. I need to remember the name of this.

Ubuntu Linux starts 2004 end of 2005 there is a document showing joint cooperation on getting disks out. To find I need to remember the resource development project name.

The 2011 on project name for it is UNESCO Open Educational Resources Platform. You could not run a Educational Resources Platform without a OS. Just like the UNESCO Open Educational Resources Platform it targeted no particular countries but all countries equally. Since good education is important to all.

Yes ubuntu declarations make hunting for ubuntu in UN records hard and Ubuntu company name is a word that is used as a english word in thousands of UN documents.

Its the same kind of deal that went into the FSF/UNESCO directory of open source software. That also ceased to be a joint project recently and returned to being only a FSF project.

In 2007 the deal was quite fresh. Years have past and my memory is not a perfect as I would like.

Robert Pogson Sorry I have not been able to pull the exact document straight up for you. Back in 2007 in IRC with reactos lead developers I did pull the source documents of the deal up.

Its one of those deals that a lot of people would not beware of. shipit started tighting up supply quite a while before it stopped. Yes the FSF/UNESCO deal is the same timeframe linked to the same project to make resources for education globally.

Mind you Robert Pogson where you work watching what the UNESCO Open Educational Resources Platform is up to could be useful. Thinking this Education stuff is not targeted at any particular country so all countries are free to access it.

10. You’ve been writing that since 2007. What’s the source of that information? As far as I know Shipit is a global programme run totally by Canonical. Canonical may cooperate on some UN development projects but I doubt the UN paid for the CDs shipped to me in Canada. Why would they? Jane Silber stated they shipped millions of CDs and it cost Canonical a lot, but it would not break the bank.

11. Sure. It gives something like a lower bound to the range of possible values. Fedora was visited by 34 million unique IP addresses. That’s a ball-park for one distro. Ubuntu is probably that many and more. Debian GNU/Linux is huge, too. Debian has hundreds of mirrors. Some of them are very busy. On top of that, many large roll-outs represent just a few IP addresses. At the school where I worked last year, we had about 80 machines all NATed to a single IP address and I mostly used a local repository on the LAN. So, 100 million is probably the minimum reasonable estimate, about 7% of all PCs. I believe the number is 10% or more.

12. Canonical had a ten-unit limit. I gave mine to graduates at the high school where I taught.

Moxy dig deeper Shuttleworth was not paying either for the CDs. Lets just say Shuttleworth has very good convincing skill and it explains the name Ubuntu.

Who you were costing money from by those CD’s was the UN. Moxy. Today you can still order cd’s but you have to pay.

So every pack you ordered Canonical got paid by UN under a particular program for IT development. Yes it was a underhanded. There were a lot of idiots like you Moxy who never checked out who was paying for the cd’s and ordered mountains thinking it would hurt Shuttleworth when in fact you were paying him.

Thank you for paying Canonical Moxy. You hate Linux yet you funded it. So classical of the Linux hating fools out there.

Next time you presume Canonical is bleeding money sometimes you need to look closer. Areas that can appear to be bleeding can in fact be feeding money into Canonical and someone else footing the bill.

Shuttleworth is a sneaky business man. Odds of his project dieing is low mostly due to the injection of money the shipit project and other equal projects caused. Even that I would personally like Ubuntu to die due to its poor quality control systems.

I see that Shuttleworth will dream up some new stunt so people like Moxy end up funding Canonical so keeping it in business.

14. Moxy says:

Beaware Canonical was not paying for those CD’s Moxy.

No, Shuttleworth was and still is. His little pet project is bleeding money profusely and soon he’ll be broke and another fosstarded project will be dead.

😀

15. Moxy says:

we can bet the numbers are low

Blah, blah, blah. Hang on to your FOSStardian religion but the truth remains that Loonix remains well below 1% all users world wide.

Moxy even with people like you messing around on downloads we can bet the numbers are low.

There are installations in the many thousands that appear to be a single copy to the download server. Good public example is the French Police. They run there own repo systems.

When Canonical was giving out free CD’s I requests one of each and got 25 copies of each. Really I am thankful the free cd program ended Moxy because I found it wasteful. What was I going to do with 50 copies when I was at the time in a town with less than 20 computer systems.

Beaware Canonical was not paying for those CD’s Moxy.

17. Moxy says:

I haven’t visited your site in a while but it seems that you are as delusional as ever.

Here’s a fact that I can present to you that will help others realize just how pointless your suggestion of your silly 1%:

I know others who do this with the downloads. It’s just to mess with your simple little brains.

😀

18. Marco says:

Of course, but this means only that the number of actively used installations goes from this number to up.

Ps. I mentioned the security update repository cause it’s the one not mirrored, or as a better say is the one under absolute direct control and because of this can give some reliable numbers of usage.

19. Even the security updates may be cached with apt-cacher. The repository gets one hit and the LAN gets 100 updates. Also, a system may use disc imaging which requires only a single hit to the repository to update no matter how many local copies are made.

Counting GNU/Linux boxes is not easy because there are so many variables. Until we get Linus to put in a “phone home” feature, there’s not much hope of reliable numbers even for the web-connected machines. Then, it could be disabled by some distros.

20. Marco says:

They can also track the downloads in the security updates repository, and get the number of ACTIVELY MAINTAINED installations.

21. I think Canonical tracks unique IP addresses for connections to the repositories, so it means at least 20million users. It could be more if caching/NAT obscures machines.

22. Phenom says:

20 million downloads do not mean 20 million users.