M$ – The Bad Citizen

From M$’s last SEC filing:
“NOTE 11 INCOME TAXES
Our effective tax rates were approximately 21% and 25% for the three months ended September 30, 2011 and 2010, respectively. Our effective tax rate was lower than the U.S. federal statutory rate and our prior year’s first quarter effective rate primarily due to a higher mix of earnings taxed at lower rates in foreign jurisdictions resulting from producing and distributing our products and services through our foreign regional operations centers in Ireland, Singapore, and Puerto Rico, which are subject to lower income tax rates.
Tax contingencies and other tax liabilities were $7.5 billion and $7.4 billion as of September 30, 2011 and June 30, 2011, respectively, and are included in other long-term liabilities. While we settled a portion of the I.R.S. audit for tax years 2004 to 2006 during the third quarter of fiscal year 2011, we remain under audit for these years. During the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2011, the I.R.S. completed its examination and issued a Revenue Agent’s Report (“RAR”) for the remaining unresolved items. We do not agree with the adjustments in the RAR, and we have filed a protest to initiate the administrative appeals process. The proposed adjustments are primarily related to transfer pricing and could have a significant impact on our financial statements if not resolved favorably. We do not believe it is reasonably possible that the total amount of unrecognized tax benefits will significantly increase or decrease within the next 12 months, as we do not believe the appeals process will be concluded within the next 12 months. We also continue to be subject to examination by the I.R.S. for tax years 2007 to 2011.”

I am not an accountant, tax-man or any sort of expert on these matters but the plain language implies that M$ is not paying US taxes on revenue obtained in other parts of the world. That is reasonable if the product being sold was DVDs etc., but M$ is in the business of selling licences to “intellectual property” which originates in the USA. M$ appears to be taking a tax deduction on the “R&D” done in the USA but dodging revenue obtained elsewhere. Is there a fiction that for BSA’s purposes, “Intellectual Property” is valuable everywhere but for tax purposes, that property flows elsewhere for $0 and is sold for a handsome profit overseas? M$, in its prime, paid no income tax whatsoever and half of M$’s huge nest egg of $60billion is overseas. The liabilities could be huge.

I can see why the US tax-men need to audit M$ but I don’t see why they are apparently so many years behind. Has the darling of capitalists been getting a free ride at ordinary tax-payers’ expense? The quarterly report lists tax contingencies at $7billion+.

Al Capone was an organized criminal, who, in spite of diverse criminal activity even murder was eventually brought to justice by the tax-men. Wouldn’t it be sweet if that is eventually M$’s downfall? Paying their fair share for the operation of the government that protected M$ from competition would be some form of justice although just a drop in the bucket of their ill-gotten gains. It would be better if some of their leadership did jail-time for tax evasion.

In reality, the harm done to the USA by M$ is much larger than the tax liabilities. Re-re-reboots alone in the USA probably amount to a dozen or more per PC per annum. Then there are attacks by malware, stifling competition, waste of perfectly good PCs on the Wintel conveyor-belt to the dump, high prices, and now the patent-trolling. It’s high time the USA quit drinking M$’s Koolaid. Canada and the rest of the world should do the same. I recommend Debian GNU/Linux as a refreshing replacement for that other OS. It works for you and not for M$.

37 Responses to M$ – The Bad Citizen

1. oldman says:

“You have oldman. This is the thing I am truthful about my nature and faults.”

And yet you posted at one point.

“So you can see I have very few faults”

Do you really think that I am going to take any of the noise that you just posted seriously knowing that?

I don’t.

As far as you not treating me kindly is concerned.

Meh.

You already have been dismissive to the point of nastiness so many times in the past that I frankly would not know the difference.

Whatever.

Oldman I have never tried to display myself as good.

You have oldman. This is the thing I am truthful about my nature and faults.

Simple fact oldman you cannot accept the fact that someone like me could have spotted a major fault in yourself.

Your english and writing skill is no where near as good as you have thought oldman. Only way to fix it is admit it. Of course the problem is you never want to have to admit you have made a fault to a person you have repeatedly insulted for poor english.

Oldman never throw stones over a topic when you are standing in a glass house and not accept the damage that comes.

The simple point have at any point once I have been pointed out I have made a mistake said I did not.

Yes I have sometimes provided reason why I stuffed up but I have still admitted the mistake.

So I am not a stuck up fool. Because a stuck up fool never admits mistakes and always has to be right. This is not me.

Of course I can be a fool at times with the wrong information. Hey if you are not that some of the time you are not human.

Funny oldman where have I claimed that I am perfectly good. This is why you looking for ways to insult me don’t work. Jantior comment was ment to offend me. Its not going to because I respect Jantiors and cleaning staff.

You have major problems oldman people lower than you are just as import to treat with respect as those above you. This is also why you are stuck up.

Now calling me a Geek because I knew stuff you do not is also another sign of being a stuck up fool.

Note I use the words fool and incompetent most of the time. Because they don’t normally attempt to stereo type people. As a person in management stereo typing people is something you should be fired for.

You have problems oldman and the simple fact is the more you try to avoid them the deep the hole you dug against me.

I do reverse the right to respond to a insult.

Do not expect me to treat a person like you in future kindly oldman. I have a low tolerance for people who will not admit there mistakes. When there is zero question.

Mind you oldman you are the normal troll. Cannot win on fact have to resort to attempt to personally discredit the person holding you to account. Of course this backfires oldman.

This is why you should be fired oldman. A troll can always be defeated by fact. Personal insults are never required.

I know I have a weakness of using insults when I am getting frustrated from typing the same explanations over and over again. Hey that is something I am working on. I am also known for being blunt.

Some people are past help oldman. You appear to be one. One day you will end up banned for trolling and you will be like what I don’t troll because you don’t get what you are.

You are just like a person who bashes his wife oldman who sees nothing wrong with it.

3. oldman says:

“You had given up you right to respond once you said conversation was over for you oldman unless you are a stuck up fool who must have the final word and must always be right.”

I think you have just described yourself to a T. Mr. Ohio Ham.

Get over yourself, you’re not that good.

There are rules of respect. oldman since you have shown clearly you have no respect.

I will now clearly say what you are to me oldman. You are stuck up incompetent fool who has managed to get to a high position that you don’t deserve. One day you will lose it unless you change.

Any IT officer worth anything will admit to the errors they have made.

Reason why you have to insult me is that you cannot except the fact how defective you could be oldman.

It also why you dispute with Robert Pogson so much oldman.

You cannot see what Robert Pogson is doing could be integrated with what you have to doing to provide the same functionality. Art of IT here being able to look at a different solution be able to see how it could be altered to fit then cost to see if there is any saving there.

Really oldman you are noise. You are spinning your words to put forward a more positive light than reality as well.

Thing is you don’t owe me. You owe yourself to admit the truth to yourself. A person who will not admit the truth to themselves is lost.

oldman have I once tried to say I have good english. I never claim that because its not true.

Only a stuck fool would think they had the right to insult someone then say the conversation is over. Then not accept the responding person final words after it.

5. oldman says:

Mr. Ohio Ham

I am impressed. You actually believe that I owe you something.

I do not, and never will.

oldman its not over when you are directly insulting.

The USA laws when it comes to this kind of stuff are the same. There is no magic limiters. If you are giving the impression that something is more secure than what it is your hide can go. It falls under fraudulent representation of state of affairs.

Of course companies normally don’t find this out until there insurance is not covering the liability because of a mistakes in there IT staff writing of reports.

Its about time you do your homework oldman. On your english and your insurance and the law. Particularly fraudulent representation.

Simple fact is you don’t need to know who I am to confirm you have a english problem that needs fixing oldman. If you did not have the english fault this complete line would have never started.

When I want this over I want it over for good with you. Ie you don’t make that english mistake again. Type a few more words and truly express what you are truly meaning.

Up until this point you have not admitted you made an english error oldman.

7. oldman says:

On second thought’ I take back the previous post, Mr. Ohio Ham.

“People like me are global we are employed to deal with particular types of problems when they happen.”

In point of fact I do not know who you are. As far as I can see is some self important geek posting on a blog. that’s all.

And even if how you characterise yourself is not just a load of malarkey, it still remains highly unlikely that you will EVER be working in my neck of the world, let alone that I will ever deal with you.

And even if by some chance you were to be employed here, you would very rapidly find that the laws of my country would severely limit the kinds of shenanigans that you can get away with in Australia.

As I said, you are rapidly becoming noise to me just like twitter, IP Bear and Mr. Chapman.

“I have been kind enough to tell you the english error you have. It is a english error that will get you into trouble. ”

As far as I am concerned, Mr. Ohio Ham, you are anything but kind. Your use of the word “kindness” is as far as I am concerned a gross insult.

Save the self serving malarkey for someone else.

8. oldman says:

“I have higher than average comprehension of english. So yes I am perfectly in my right to lecture you on using english incorrectly oldman.”

I believe that I said this conversation was over Mr. ohio ham.

oldman the point here is a critical one.

If I am finding your english faults. True english faults and you are complaining about how poor my english is yours is quite bad in fact.

Old rule oldman I accept that my english is defective. I have done a lot of work to attempt to fix it.

Sorry oldman I don’t have to take anything away from you. This is the point you are not getting. People like me are global we are employed to deal with particular types of problems when they happen.

The english error you have is in fact worse than mine oldman. Because you believe you are writing something you are not.

This is causing Robert Pogson to have disputes with you at times as well oldman.

You only have limited understanding of english oldman this means you only have a low comprehension level. So this means you can miss read instruction manuals.

Sorry oldman my english issue is failure to be able to write words and items in the order I am attending and some cases not the words I was attending to either. Not a failure to be able to read 24 hours latter and see that I have screwed up.

I accept my failures about time you accept yours before they get you into trouble oldman.

10. oldman says:

“oldman I think it a case that your english is a little limited oldman. You were either lieing through your teeth or were having an english problem. Best way direct challenge and see how you respond.”

ROFLMAO!!!

I think someone who regularly writes the gibberish that you post is in no position to lecture anyone on their language.

“Your wording is the very wording that I will take your hide completely with oldman.”

Lets get something straight Mr. ohio ham,

You will take nothing from me.
    You will do nothing to me.

You are as far as I can tell you are some self important geek pottering around in the australian outback.

You are noise….

This conversation is over.

I am beginning to think that you are full of crap, little man,

Robert Pogson I am there because something has gone wrong. If boss was informed of breach IT officer is safe and insurance company gets out of have to pay policy if action was not checked on being dealt with by the boss take due to lack of due care.

Now if the IT Officer did report it did take corrective action failed to detect the infection was deeper yet had informed boss. Boss had noted report of infection and report of infection fixed to best of IT officers skill at the time. Everything good. Reason why it important is one of the clues that you have might have missed something after an infection can be cases of suspected data leaks.

Insurance has to pay if everything is done right even if the IT officer made a mistake and missed the deeper infection so no fowl.

Basically insurance companies are pricks when it comes to this stuff remember these can be multi million dollar payouts for major breaches of privacy. They pay well to have money recovered or not having to pay.

“Our windows systems are behind firewalls, and only available on campus, very few if any of these systems are internet facing. They are patched every month. they are secured according to established security practices. They have NEVER been hit by malware.”
    This can almost 100 percent of the time be proven not to be true.

Reason you will have anti-virus logs confirming removal of infections that slipped past but have been picked up by later anti-virus updates before its got too deep into system.

“Never been Hit by malware” does not require the malware infection to be successful. Attempt is enough to make that statement false. Yes Hit is an attempt not infection. Ie inserting infected usb key an attempt was attempted so where hit and the infection failed due to anti-virus or otherwise so statement would be fraud statement in that case.

“Never been successfully infected by malware” I could have believe a statement like that since it is possible that every malware download or inserted into your machine has been detected before it could infect the system. Even so I would never use that line. Reason I could have missed something.

Never is a word you have to be extremely careful using oldman.

oldman you are saying a malware file has never been placed on the machine and there is not one there right now that has not been missed? “free of malware” full meaning is that.

“Free of being infection by malware”. Means the malware file could have been downloaded then detected before being installed. I think that is what you are meaning at min oldman but its not the words you are using.

Another one people stuff up on is “systems maintained free of infections”. Correct wording always includes a loop hole. “Maintained system free of detectable infections” is what you use when using an anti-virus. The first one is what you you use when you are systems with write blockers and other things preventing infection ever.

What says your system is not infected right now and you have not detected it yet oldman? It is possible no matter what you say. This is why your wording is dangerous to ones health in the IT game long term. You are not protecting your ass.

Big problem here oldman as a IT officer you are meant to be a trained professional so you should not be making these language mistakes. Language mistakes like this can stuff you in a court of law.

I think its a case you not aware that you are saying a lie oldman and the reason why you are saying a lie is a english problem on your side so failing to understand the full meaning of what you are saying.

But in a insurance case I don’t care about if it a case of your english or not. I get paid on recovery of money for the insurance company so basically merciless.

Tech Janitors are the ones who don’t have the option to give mercy oldman. So yes we can be hated. Mercy only allows people to be lax.

Yes I have bad english but I have tech safe english. I suspect your english is not tech safe so needs a little work oldman this is bring you head to head with me. This way if you ever have a tech janitor turn up you will not end up being held accountable for giving a fraudulent sense of secuirty. Mostly get to laugh about it. This is the way it should be oldman.

Tech Janitors are harmless to those who are doing the right thing oldman. This case you are not doing the right thing in your english.

12. oldman says:

“I have put over 10 IT offices in jail over fraud with there internal documents and information provided to their bosses. Yes hiding the fact of infection from you boss is a criminal offence in all countries.”

Personally. I think you’re full of crap Mr Techno Janitor. But in the end, it doesnt matter. My personal desktop remains free of malware, and none of your reams of techno babble is going to change that reality.

“So don’t try lying to me like you most likely lie to your boss so he does not question your performance.”

Mr. oiaohm, there are no lies here. The fact remains that My personal desktops are free of malware.

As far as trying to lie to you is concerned, Get over you self Techno Janitor, you aren’t that important.

13. oiaohm wrote, “hiding the fact of infection from you boss is a criminal offence in all countries.”.

Chuckle. That might be grounds for dismissal but I doubt it. I have had bosses who only wanted to hear good news. They told me how solid their systems were even though I read logs and knew different.

More likely bosses get to be bosses by concentrating on important matters and ignoring noise like malware infections. When malware does something important like sabotage or theft, those bosses only care about whom to fire. In my whole life I have only had a few bosses who liked to get their hands dirty with details. One was a terrorist. We cringed when he came around. Something always broke and made extra work for us. One time he jammed a screaming-hot radioactive target and we got extra radiation exposure fixing it. He also replaced one of the most competent and knowledgeable supervisors I have ever had with an incompetent twit…

No. Most bosses tend to be ordinary users of IT and technical information goes right past them. That’s one reason that businesses use that other OS, the bosses know nothing else.

oldman you may not like it but you are partly right to call me a IT janitor. I have to clean up the messes people make. And I do a good job doing it.

oldman what get me is running scanning pen testing and everything I have seen system fail. System breach detect by while list scanning.

Remember I am clean up crew I have people like you tell me there systems are perfectly secure maintained and so on. I am their because the boss is sure inside information is leaking out. Now this is either bad staff, Malware or combination of both.

So yes if you have not been finding that you systems from time to time are getting beaten I would suspect you are missing something.

Even Linux boxes get beaten from time to time.

Virtual machines are not 100 percent bullet proof there are a few malware out there that cause in fact get themselves out on particular processor chips directly or being sneaking and appearing to be clean.

If you were saying oldman that no malware in you system was going undetected I would be fine. That means you run regular white list checks like honey pots run and other host intrusion detection solutions. Problem is host intrusion detections don’t stop the infection only let you find it.

But running those things don’t mean you don’t get temporary defeated. I suspect you at min forgoting that detected is still infected that you have cleaned up.

Never had malware is normally a myth at worse a sign of possible incompetence in system management. This is in fact one of the questions on my form before I enter the place. When was your last recorded Malware/virus event. With what systems were breached?

This is the problem oldman I have to know more than you. Because I am a person who has to clean up mistakes people like you make.

Yes IT trade thing here tell the boss repeatedly their has not been an infection but when you get them under legal oath when they have to tell the truth of go to jail there story changes. To their bosses shock horror.

Yes I am clean up crew. I am what some insurance companies send in when case public liability has to be paid out due to private information leaking. Yes insurance companies love to take it out of some-ones hide. Fraud charge on the IT officer does recover some of the money.

I tell bosses clearly if you system is not find and block infections and if from time to time it don’t get defeated doing a proper low level audit sampling is worth while. It normally does find something particularly when dealing in volumes of machines exceeding 250.

15. oldman says:

“So, you visit all the sites that each of your thousands of users visit, in advance? ”

Nope. I speak of my own usage, not that of my users. But what I do know of that usage confirms my own experience. Those people who combine initernet savvy with the use of a few key pieces of software, generally have just a good an experience remaining malware free as I do.

BTW – With the exception of the student dorms, all desktops at the universy are on the wide open public internet. NO proxys are needed.

16. So, you visit all the sites that each of your thousands of users visit, in advance? That must be a very sluggish Internet experience for them. I do set up DansGuardian squid filter to do something along those lines but it is just barely noticeable.

17. oldman says:

“Any site can be compromised one way or another without you knowing that has happened. How can you possibly stay away from compromised sites? Even the search engines and other sources of information take some time to visit a site to find out if it has been compromised.”

I do not know what to tell you Pog. My systems remain clean and free of malware. Then again, I do not just go willy nilly gallivanting around the internet. Any sites that is suspect gets visited using a virtual machine with undo-able disks. If something happened, all one needs to do is kill the VM and all changes made since boot are discarded.

18. Any site can be compromised one way or another without you knowing that has happened. How can you possibly stay away from compromised sites? Even the search engines and other sources of information take some time to visit a site to find out if it has been compromised.

19. Check out the Android code checkout. The protocol is now https and a userid and password are required…

see http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html

20. Phenom says:

Speaking of security, hear this out:

Google, having discovered ActiveX about only 15 years after Microsoft, fell in the same trap as IE5 did.

Funny how Google is becoming less and less secure. Anroid is plagued by malware as no other mobile OS, their browser is becoming a security loser, too, and only recently their Google Apps system was deemed as not sufficiently secure.

21. oldman says:

“You’ve been lucky or you are lying.”

Luck has nothing to do with it, usage patterns may – I dont go near sites that can in fact, I dont open emails that are suspicious, and I have always known how to run my desktop securely.

As far as lying in concerned, You are not that important Pog.

“Being good cannot guarantee security. “Best practices” come from people learning from their mistakes and all the mistakes have not been made yet.”

And neither can OS characteristics guarantee security as the recent string of prominent Linux server break ins have demonstrated.

22. You’ve been lucky, oldman. Scanners may hit 100% of the most common malware and may even block dangerous kinds of processes but there are thousands of new malwares introduced daily and no scanner can stop them all. Some experts recommend multiple scanners but that still does not detect all the new ones. The desktops is much more scary than a server off the web because the user can browse to a random site or copy some file from somewhere. You’ve been lucky or you are lying. Being good cannot guarantee security. “Best practices” come from people learning from their mistakes and all the mistakes have not been made yet.

23. oldman says:

“GNU/Linux is that good. ”

Who cares. People run applications, not operating systems Pog. And the fact that Linux is “better” in some aspect of its function isn’t going to do anything if it cant run the applications that the user requires.

24. oldman says:

“oldman Never hit by malware?? Some how either you have been lucky or have missed the fact you are hit.”

Neither Mr. oiaohm, I know what I’m doing. As far as not knowing that I’ve been hit, ny system is on the scan list for the security guys’ I’d know if I had problems fairly quickly.

Auto mount of anything is disabled on my personal systems, and the USB ports for since most of our servers are blades, the usb ports are shared only and at any rate the servers are in a secured machine room.

“Yes I don’t really trust systems that people say Never been hit by Malware lot of times you find there systems infected by something that hides itself really well.”

What you trust or don’t trust is irrelevant to me.

“Established security practices. for high secuirty systems results in being unable to run windows due to the fact the secuirty framework in Windows is too weak. So what level please.”

I dont discuss security with a glorified techno janitor who does IT in the middle of nowhere. Your creds to discuss such are as far as I am concerned suspect.

Suffice it to say that all applications on all our servers are put through a security review which includes a pen test, and are secured according to the classification of the data that runs on them. Yes we do run windows, servers as needed, and they are run securely.

And thats all you need to know, Mr. oiaohm.

25. “The Windows Installer can determine when a reboot of the system is necessary and automatically prompt the user to reboot at the end of the installation. For example, the installer automatically prompts for a reboot if it needs to replace any files that are in use during the installation.”

see M$

Lest anyone who reads this thinks the same thing happens with GNU/Linux, think again. Individual applications or processes is almost always what is needed to re-initialize after an update. For that, the computer does not need to be restarted unless the kernel is changed. One can even update a driver in GNU/Linux without a reboot if it runs with the same kernel. I have connected to a server through a network interface and reconfigured and reloaded the network interface driver without disturbing anything in the system. GNU/Linux is that good. OTOH, I have had that other OS reboot my personal computer while I was giving a lecture using it.

Most of my malware strikes recently have come from people with files on usb drives not downloads.

27. oldman says:

“Doing things the Redmond way is a huge liability to IT everywhere except in their timezone.”

Yet that risk is managed every day because to those who use windows based systems the value add brought is worth the cost. Our windows systems are behind firewalls, and only available on campus, very few if any of these systems are internet facing. They are patched every month. they are secured according to established security practices. They have NEVER been hit by malware.

I would respectfully suggest Pog that you might want to learn to put aside your usage and your prejudices about what constitutes high price/performance and take a look at what is really being done win closed source commercial software. You mighht begin to appreciate that the issues of IT are much broader and more complicated that you think.

28. Ray says:

Welcome to the world of corporate tax dodgers, where every business tries to avoid the tax-man from Google’s overseas tax rate of 2% to GE’s tax rate of -10%.

29. oldman says:

“Why should a user have to take his machine off-line to update his calendar or some other application?”

Since when do you have to do such things Pog?

30. Not the end of story. Why should a user have to take his machine off-line to update his calendar or some other application? Doing things the Redmond way is a huge liability to IT everywhere except in their timezone. How can you possibly protect a system from a vulnerability announced during your workday without interrupting work? If a re-boot is required it will interrupt work.

oldman wrote, “I would submit that it is cheaper in terms of time and effort to throw money at the problem.”

You cannot throw money at IT without also wasting time. Rackspace, apparently, does not think it will cost Rackspace to charge less for GNU/Linux operating systems on its cloud. Neither does Amazon.

31. I look at the price/performance ratio of Google’s services to M$’s and I am amazed that M$ is still in business.

32. Ivan says:

“Well, the world is full of tax-evaders. No one likes the tax man.”

Nonsense, without the tax man you lose valuable services like having roads plowed in winter, a police force actively patrolling your streets, fire fighters that will put your house fire out, and labs that will test your drinking water when you drill a new well. I may not like what some of my tax dollars are spent on, but the tax man isn’t a bad person.

“I am not concerned about Google. I know M$ is evil.”

You are not concerned that every service provided by Google is there to sell you to the advertisers? You are the commodity with Google, Bob.

33. oldman says:

“No. I expect the world will use its IT without malware, re-re-reboots, phoning home, “the tax” etc. If there are shortcomings of GNU/Linux, the world can fix its own OS.”

Nope. The case can easily be made that the world that can afford closed source commercial software is not going to waste man centuries of time either reinventing the wheel or compensating for the pallid work alike desktop applications that you would recommend. This is already happening whether you like it or not Pog.

As far as your other comments, check your premises. Its not that hard to avoid malware these days. A good chunk of computer users do so. My workstation has been on the widw open internet for years with no issues. Can you cmaim the same?

As far as your re-re-re-boot crap, Even were it an issue, I would submit that it is cheaper in terms of time and effort to throw money at the problem. Equipping ones system with a solid state drive renders boot times, when I actually boot as opposed to hibernate to almost nothing.

End of story.

34. No. I expect the world will use its IT without malware, re-re-reboots, phoning home, “the tax” etc. If there are shortcomings of GNU/Linux, the world can fix its own OS.

35. Well, the world is full of tax-evaders. No one likes the tax man. I am not concerned about Google. I know M$ is evil.

36. Ivan says:

Let’s just forget that it was the job of the Internal Revenue Service to enforce the Volstead Act, making them the organization that would ‘get Capone’ for a moment and focus on the premise of this post. How do you expect anyone to take your opinion on the matter seriously when you neglect to mention Google’s tax evasion?

Or their subsequent begging for a ‘Tax Holiday?’

37. oldman says:

“It’s high time the USA quit drinking M$’s Koolaid. Canada and the rest of the world should do the same”

And do what Pog? Waste hours of our time making up for the Shortcomings of FOSS on Linux?