Armageddon of IT

Armageddon Ar`ma*ged”don ([aum]r*m[.a]”j[e^]”d’n), n.
the final, decisive battle between the forces of good and evil, as foretold in the Apocolypse of Saint John. Also, the site of that battle. Used metaphorically for a vast and decisive conflict, attended by cataclysmic destruction.
[PJC]

All around the world makers of PCs are suffering tight margins and suppliers of chips etc. are having losses. The reason? The makers of PCs are “paying the tax” to M$, about $50 per machine. At the same time we see a steady slow erosion of M$’s influence in IT. M$ has decreasing margins but M$’s margins are huge (35% on servers and 65% on clients) compared to the makers of hardware (HP 6%, Dell 2.5%, Lenovo 11%, Acer 10%). Why should that be so? Why should everyone else in IT be squeezed by M$’s greed? Why should end users be saddled with the over-complex and burdensome OS? One answer is that manufacturers of PCs should form an alliance against M$ and refuse to “pay the tax”. Indeed they could ship PCs with GNU/Linux.

This would be quite disruptive so the responsible thing to do would be to declare the date of Armageddon of IT some time about a year in the future. This could conflict with long term agreements with M$ but even they might be void if the “force majeur” of losses rears its head. The alliance could pick its own date but I like 2012-10-31, Hallowe’en, a good day for tricks. It’s a Wednesday, a good news day. The manufacturers could combine the disruption with free candy for the kids and Free Software on PCs for everyone.

The “innocent” third parties for this change could either ship their products in virtual machines paying the “tax” or they could port their software to GNU/Linux. Either way would cost ISVs some money but all the software makers owe the manufacturers of all that lovely hardware a lot, I figure. They should be glad to contribute to software freedom. End users might need some retraining but the OEMs could easily host training sites to prepare users. There could be lots of opportunity for smaller ISVs to compete against the big guys if they can get software working on GNU/Linux sooner than the big guys.

The net benefits for this campaign would be:

• manufacturers of hardware flush with cash, probably $17.5 billion (350millon X $50) or so for the client OS and $13 billion (10millon X $1300) for servers, annually,
  • lots of employment for IT people migrating/installing systems,
  • many fewer reboots (1500 million machines X 12 per annum), at $1 each saves the world economy $18 billion per annum,
  • lots of employment for sales and advertising people promoting GNU/Linux and new products running it, and
  • less money spent on fighting malware.

The net benefit to the economy of the world is difficult to estimate but counting the cost of every $1 spent on M$’s software as $8 going into IT expenses the result could be $250billion or so. That’s more than $30 per capita or $1billion per country. The benefit of keeping more businesses making PCs and competing on price and performance is priceless.

53 Responses to Armageddon of IT

1. oldman says:

“I am not limited to one machine, one OS, or a small number of tasks thanks to GNU/Linux, designed from the beginning to be a multi-user/multi-tasking OS, afterthoughts for M$.”

I do the same things and more using windows 7 and VMWare workstation Pog. And I have the benefits of Linux in virtual machines to boot.

And I have had it for years.

2. I don’t accept that M$’s office suite is the most popular. It may not even have 50% share of desktops/notebooks.

3. At the moment, I have three different machines in windows, a browser, a dictionary and a calculator in one virtual desktop, passwords in another and word-processor/spreadsheet in another. It’s a slow day. If I were making a video, running a bunch of virtual machines, etc., I could have several more virtual desktops on the go. I am not limited to one machine, one OS, or a small number of tasks thanks to GNU/Linux, designed from the beginning to be a multi-user/multi-tasking OS, afterthoughts for M$.

4. Contrarian says:

“If your monitor is 20 inches and you have 50 tasks running the boxes are pretty small…”

If you have 50 tasks running at once, you are too much of a scatterbrain to be of any use to anyone, #pogson! How do you so busy folk ever find the time to read every Linux blog on the planet to keep finding things to remind yourselves of how much you hate Microsoft?

When I am working, my email and Visual Studio are just about all that I need to keep track of and they fit conveniently on the popup task bar at the bottom of my 15″ screen.

5. Contrarian says:

“That implies that usage of M$’s office suite is not universal.”

Almost nothing is universal, #pogson, not even Windows, but it is surely good enough to simply be “most popular”, eh? There is no argument that MS Office is a big money maker for Microsoft and continues in that role year after year. Say all that you want to say about Open Office, or whatever passes for that today, but the most popular suite is the one sold by Microsoft. It is the standard of comparison for the business world and you cannot deny that.

6. oldman says:

“Surprising oldman what I do does not fall under “harassment lawsuits” or “mental torture” either. Now I was not hitting flaws in your logic. And were trying to make you believe something that was 100 percent not reality then in falls under harassment and mental torture.”

Perhaps where you live the laws are different, but I can guarantee that unless you are more careful than you are talking about, you would get in trouble if you pulled the crap you have pulled in the USA.

In fact the chances are very good that any human resources department that got wind of what you pull would probably get in you face about it.

7. oldman says:

“Hardest thing for a control freak to accept that people like me exist that don’t have their nature at all”

You are a smug arrogant bastard Mr oiaohm, and unlike your charge you might find me a little bit more interesting to deal with than he was. One thing you should be sure of, I will NEVER like you, and I will always think of you as a form of reptile that should be eliminated, even as you “beat” me. But unlike your charge, I also know that have a wife and family and a life to worry about, and in the end smug people like you are not work the cost, however galling it may be to walk away.

I have long since accepted that I am a control freak and that it will never go away. The challenge as far as I am concerned is to channel its energy for good without letting it overwhelm. I still think that you are more of a control freak than you think that you are, but as that is very apparently not something that you will accept, I will leave it at that.

“I am a person who has a very strong believe in democracy and shared power. Basically I am the mirror to a control freak this is why I break them. Because a control freak keeps on looking for where I am dictating and taking control. Simply that does not exist.”

To paraphrase the late american commedian Richard Pryor,

“Weez all control freaks to some extent, just sum of us dont knows it!”

By the way, Shared power is a reality in an educational institution. One can not move forward very far without consensus, and those who insist on doing things their way to the exclusion of anyone else will soon find themselves worked around. Thus I started down my path away from being what you call a control freak. And it IS a frightening path sometimes as one needs to learn a whole different of communication skills, not to mention the ability to suffer fools gladly while exercising the fine art in IT of technically getting from point A to point B problem wise.

“oldman as you can see from me. I don’t have many weaknesses.”

O yes you do, they are there, but the difference is unlike our friend Mr. contrarian who is retired and has the time on his hands necessary to go up against you, I have limited time and frankly diminishing interest in doing so Mr. Ohio Ham.

I still look forward to the possibility that someone who can see YOUR flaws doing to you what you did to me.

And that would be fun. Mr. ohio ham.

8. If your monitor is 20 inches and you have 50 tasks running the boxes are pretty small. With GNU/Linux, you can run hundreds of tasks and the boxes are still large enough to see.

9. Ch says:

“How do you do that when the “entry in my taskbar” is too small to read/identify?”
    It isn’t. Why should it be ? Why do you keep on talking about something that you obviously don’t know yourself ?

oldman to be correct only way to get a person out of destructive behavior is break them so they can see it. While there mind is in a place where they are justifying there mistakes and they are winning every argument they have no reason to change or see there mistakes.

oldman “Frankly he can’t have been very good technically, nor very smart.” Yes that is 100 percent correct. He was making for his lack of technical skill and IQ by blackmailing bosses and destroying people with skill and getting them fired not he did not care how it destroyed them. Worst form psychopath in the worst way. Problem is this developed over years.

Mind you the shocking thing for me is that I believe when he was new to the company he was good. His early work was brilliant perfectly done. I don’t know if is the control freak nature but while a person is in the control freak state there IQ seams to drop. So even if they were smart before becoming a control freak they end up not smart.

oldman as you can see from me. I don’t have many weaknesses. I drove him to the point he showed his incompetence trying to get rid of me. The repeated attempts at giving my impossible tasks. Then next day I had done it. Not a good thing todo management wakes up pretty quickly that something is wrong. Not the smartest of people.

Why oldman were you cursing me. Your base of your arguments were not solid. I would have been defeated if you arguments were solid. In fact you would have defeated me. I have been kind enough to give you the 3 sure points that made you weak.

Fix them in yourself oldman next time you will most likely win against me. Most likely I would have made an error. Also the business you work for will be better severed by you.

Some of it was you representing yourself wrong. Also the 5 points very good thing to use when assessing new staff.

“In fact Mr oiaohm, from what I can see you are the ultimate control freak.”

Yes this is kinda true and false mostly because you see my actions from the eyes of a control freak. Limitations being set to a control freak appear to be about taking control even if they exist to prevent taking of control. But most people miss the big limitations. In the real world if everyone in a office speaks english so do everyone else.

The same development of isolating and control taking illnesses were documented in mixed language offices and locations. Clerks before computers use to suffer from the same problems oldman. The control freak illness is not new. How to treat it has been documented many times.

In fact I don’t have final say in the architecture of the system. No one has that alone.

The key points remain. Information between IT Office must be shared in a common language. Every alteration must be documented and shared.

Same with the old clerk offices to prevent the same illness everything had to be filed as per manual. Anyone doing anything against manual would be fired. So that any other clerk could find the information. Those filing manuals to control freaks appeared like control. They are the exact other way they exist to prevent a control freak focusing power.

If you wanted to change manual you would put in application to change it. All changes must not interfere with the movement of information.

Remember what I said. I design solutions that don’t require me. A control freak designs solutions that does require them. Mentally I am basically the other way to a control freak. Strong willed yes. One of my weakness is that sometimes I am too strong willed and will stick to my guns too much.

Simple fact we treat IT as the clerks of today. Same things that made clerks mentally ill basically makes IT Offices mentally ill. It was interesting to say the least.

Lot of cases get in early break the person of the bad logic. Normally you are doing doing to a person who only has 1 out of the 5. Because it been got to early. That you were up on the 3 to 3.5. You were kinda a sitting duck. I tried to pick 1 at a time. I did try to go soft at first then I found yours were interlinked. So next option hit all at once.

“In my professional world am actually a reformed control freak.” I would not say reformed starting to reform yes. That you have said reformed you have over estimated you progress. You are still show some of the side effects of being a control freak oldman. That is what I spotted. Its not something you fix over night. Most likely sections you were not able to see.

“My job over the past few years has been to write myself out of the actual control.”

Biggest mistake a person who finds themselves a control freak does is giving up all control because they no longer feel responsible enough to have control. Shared control is fine.

Deep down you find if you give up all control you will take it back in other parts of your life this is where a control freak can turn destructive at home or socially or somewhere else. This is for the control freak but the problem does not end there.

The problem what also happens. Is another person normally ends up being given too much power not shared. So the result is you have one control freak trying to reform and at the same time making another.

Just double check where you stepped back that you have not started making more control freaks. It is very simple mistake.

This is why we don’t fire if we can avoid it. It better to put a control freak who is wanting to reform back into the job with systems that they now share power with others. So solving the control freak problem. Of course you cannot put the control freak back until they can see where there mental error are. Unfortunately the only way that has been found successful is todo what I just did to you.

“Debate until there is no way out for the person with control freak issues.” Of course nothing use can be invalid. This is the only treatment that works long term.

You felt crappy because you lost. You were losing more and more because you keep on thinking I am like you. Simple fact is I am not a control freak.

I am a person who has a very strong believe in democracy and shared power. Basically I am the mirror to a control freak this is why I break them. Because a control freak keeps on looking for where I am dictating and taking control. Simply that does not exist. You were mentally searching for something I am not. Because if you could find it you could justify yourself because then I am just as bad as you. This is why control freaks cannot break other control freaks of their bad habits.

In fact the last message you are still mentally looking to match as equal to you. Hardest thing for a control freak to accept that people like me exist that don’t have their nature at all. I don’t have the control freak demon to beat. Being stubborn and sometimes lazy are my too biggest issues. Stubborn in the sense I will not do it. But I will let others do it. I am just as happy to win or lose a debate as long as the outcome is right. Yes I have a touch of perfectionist.

Here is the interesting thing. A control freak can alter a few idea in there mind and become prity darn close to a mirror to a control freak. Not exactly because some of the control freak flaws will remain. So you can come a lot better person. Most likely not 100 percent like me but that would be boring.

In fact if you had come back and said you felt good I would have given up all hope for you. There is a percentage of people who cannot learn from there mistakes. Those curse you at the end and walk away happy. Those must be fired.

One thing you can take away from this oldman is turning into a control freak due to too much power focused has been happening for 1000 of years and it never does anyone any good.

11. oldman says:

“oldman hopefully that made you fell better. Funny enough last person to call me a geek was the sop that was abusing his position to hold company over a barrel.”

Actually, It made me feel crappy. I dont like cursing because in the end I feel that it is the admission of defeat. Congratulations Mr. oiaohm. You are a manipulative bastard, and I take my hat off to you, you are good at it.

“Lot of myths I disproved against him as well. So he resorted to personal baseless insults that go him fired. Guy is still in jail.

He was a piece of work. Got sent to jail for 15 years for computer crimes yes crippling the network because he got fired. Then killed someone in there for real because he was such a control freak so is still in there. Yes killing a guard kind makes odds of getting out low.”

This is the point oldman I have seen the worst of the worst. So has my management. There is no way in hell they will let it happen again. My job is to weed them out at times. Either mentally break and retrain them or fire them if they are past saving.”

Frankly he can’t have been very good technically, nor very smart. For instance, One thing that I have learned is that if you cant take someone out in a political fight completely, don’t bother. He obviously didnt know this and the results were predictable. Speaking of your charge, Mr oiaohm, must say that I am impressed that you are still around, Mr. oioamm, because anyone like that was easily capable of re-arranging your anatomy for you, or worse, especially when subjected to the king of abuse that you put him through..

In fact the more I think about it, the more angry you make me Mr oiaohm. I have known many mental health professionals, Mr. oiaohm, and NONE of the would consider doing what you attempted to do to me, nor would they consider it the sign of a professional to want to “Break” someone. Better to fire the person outright and be done with it.

Anyone who would think to do what you do seems to me sick in the head themselves.

Something to think about Mr oiaohm.

I am also impressed by your situation. The management there condones mental torture of employees, eh, mr. oiaohm? You are lucky that you dont work in the USA, because the harassment lawsuits that would result would be quite impressive and you would probabloy be up on criminal charges.

“Simple point is oldman you attitude has always been an IT officer on the path of becoming a control freak. Selections of software do show it as well.”

Nope Mr. oiaohm, In my professional world am actually a reformed control freak. My job over the past few years has been to write myself out of the actual control. I chose not to communicate this about myself because I choose not to share all of what my work environment is about
    was far as breaking me is concerned all you did was goad me into cursing at you. Mr personal desktop software selections are just that, personal software selectsion. THey suit my needs and help me get work done in a manner that I see fit.

And they are not negotiable.

“Only way to fix a person of the path you were on is to defeat them. Oldman. The question is are you big enough to learn and develop from it. That the world is has more diversity. Time will tell.”

I have been developing all of my carrier, Mr. oiaohm. Along the way a lot of people have helped me and two or three also mentored me, helping me to learn now to do things correctly. And they did it without having to attempt to break me.

“I know it hard to come to terms with. Why am I so good at ripping people who are control freaks apart. Oldman. Because I am in fact the exact other way. I design systems where I can be replaced without problems. What is the term for a person who does not want control.”

The term is Someone who exercises control at a higher level , Mr oiaohm. The reality that I see is that while you can implement and document a system and put it in place, those who use it are just as dependent on you to architect changes and apparently to architect employees. More important than this, you are in control of their environment by being the ones to select the tools that they use.

In fact Mr oiaohm, from what I can see you are the ultimate control freak.

“Yes I am not just a IT officer. I am also something most people don’t like visiting. You should be able to guess what else and this is why I don’t get called geek. People love the other term more as a insult.”

Frankly, I have no desire to guess what you are. In fact, I don’t really think much of someone who takes pride in deliberately inspiring fear and loathing in others.

I take back calling you a geek. At least geeks can be people. About you sir, I have my doubts in that regard.

“Thanks for the practice. oldman. Need to keep my hand in. Basically I knew what you were the complete time oldman. Since I know what I am looking for to see a person letting themselves exist outside reality of the real world. It was just working out where to push to break that.”

Your welcome, and if I thought I would collect, I ‘d send you my bill.

Mr oiaohm I am more aware of the real world of Enterprise IT controls than you know. I have just not chosen to talk about all of what we do in our environment. And frankly, I have had neither the time nor the desire to spend large amounts of time justifying myself and my positions to someone who in the end I dont NEED to justify myself to.

In short I screwed myself, and I will keep that fact in mind as I go forward posting here. But I also now know Mr oiaohm, the head games that you are capable of. I and more importantly the rest of the posters on this blog, now know them as well. And I sincerly look forward to their sparring with you, and who knows, I may even get to see them play with YOUR head.

That would be fun.

12. Ch wrote, “Wrong. I just click on the program’s entry in my taskbar, problem solved. (I don’t even need to remeber or look up on which VD program XYZ is running.)”

How do you do that when the “entry in my taskbar” is too small to read/identify? See. That other OS does not scale.

13. Ch says:

“Multi Windows Applications. Gimp and programs of that style. Virtual desktops come into there own.”
    That’s why on Windows almost everything is single-window. (And you heard the latest news from GIMP ?)

“Tools on one desktop what you editing on another.”
    Yucks ! I’m glad I don’t have to work like that.

“Other usage is some of us will have monitoring on a desktop or activity. Mostly virtual desktops solve the same problems that you see people putting multi screens on Windows for.”
    In my last job I actually had a second screen for some small stuff into which I regularly had to copy/paste stuff into from full-screen apps on the other monitor. Was much more productive, and displays these days are really not that expensive.

14. Ch says:

“A user of any GUI may well have a browser, word-processor, multimedia player and a few other things running.”

Right. Surprise: I regularly use more than one application concurrently, too.

“Virtual desktops give you fewer things you need to click on in any view making hunting and pecking faster.”

“They are no doubt more useful to power users creating and consuming content.”
    No, they are not. As I pointed out before, they are useful if you use lots of “many small window”-apps.

“or Ch might have no imagination…”
    I suggest that you are the one lacking imagination: You can’t imagine that I can do what I want / have to do on Windows mostly with powerful apps typically running best full-screen. Hell, you can’t even imagine that Windows these days doesn’t re-re-reboot – let alone actually finding out.

1) >Claiming enterprise does stuff this way so we all should as well because its the best< is a clear sign of illness because its not reality. That you have been doing oldman so +1.

The business you are working for is not all enterprise. All operations have to match the business needs not what other enterprises are doing. This is reality.

2) Yes keeping up with the jones joke applies to IT officers on the path to a control freak. Not something I have been close enough to know if it applies to you oldman +0 to be kind.

They have the best it is the best nothing else is better even if it don't fit the usage is another illness sign.

Yes you see it in FOSS control freaks that they updating systems more often than what is required as a extra illness. Making the FOSS ones simpler to find. You see it in closed source when a new version of windows is release I must have it.

I don't think this is you oldman.

3) Sign of Closed source and Foss control freaks universal is that the other one software is crap. Without valid base. Yes you have been doing this as well oldman +1.

4) Next is fun. Never words. Closed source person will say they will never release as some foss license an Foss person will say they will never release as closed source. Neither are valid realities. Law and other things might step in. Yep another tick oldman +1.

5) Both closed source and foss control freaks have a common illness once they are really sick close to or past the point of no return. The secret configuration settings not being shared with the people they are working with. Even that secret setting is completely counter to FOSS ideas the FOSS ones do doit. Yes FOSS ones hiding configurations are really ill trying to take control internationally. Closed source ones due to the nature of closed source will start doing it without being aware of the path they are going down until they wake up one day and decide to use that information to attempt to blackmail.

This is +0.5 because claiming cannot touch settings can be that this is going on.

This is why configuration management is mandatory same with running a hids to detect when a sop is starting to tweak stuff in secret. Its a sign of a really dangerous mental illness that will get worse. Basically your environment oldman is not safe because you don't have the stuff to detect and treat mental illness before it becomes a problem. Most likely have no clue what actions are a sign of a IT officer going mentally unstable.

So oldman you had 3.5 out of 5. Remember healthy IT officer gets is 0 out of 5. Getting 1 is enough that the person needs to be treated to be as productive as they can be for the business. You should not have any of those traits. 5 is fired most likely by that point you are not saveable.

Yes bottling up emotions don't help since to release those bottled up emotions person by nature will want to take control over something so start can start the control freak illness. Long hours and poor food are factors. Something IT people have a bad habit of doing to themselves makes odds of mental illness worse.

Yes I am not just a IT officer. I am also something most people don't like visiting. You should be able to guess what else and this is why I don't get called geek. People love the other term more as a insult.

This is most likely shocking that mental heath and IT overlaps in the company I am in. Yes where I am does really care about staff burn out and other issues. Staff are very well care for. I don't have to be nice. I have to be what ever the person I am handing requires. I have to keep them healthy even if they hate my guts because of it. Most do forgive me in time.

16. oldman says:

“You abuse on me has been arrogant and mostly baseless oldman. As you first though there was a technical weakness to what I do. What is not the case.”

Go f-ck yourself geek!

oldman who was nasty first. When I described other solutions I had to be doing a hacky defective solution that took extra work. What is not the case.

In fact the complete time I find out you are the one doing hacky and time wasting solutions. So if you were not far up yourself oldman you would have never got yourself on my bad side.

You challenged my quality of work oldman many times. Without solid base. Do this to some who is skilled expect to be ripped to pieces.

Also the other are presuming issue from solutions you have never done.

My management has no problems with me. Again something has to be defective in me oldman. This is your simple failure to except that you have got it wrong.

I am not a pure specialist. I am a well trained Linux/Unix Admin who produces high quality results repeatedly also trained to be able to do other jobs the company requires. Simple fact is where I am know they can make people like me simply. So any issues with personality I would be gone. Over my years I have been trained todo many tasks. Everyone I am replaceable from.

One of the things our management demands of us is if we were incompetent leading to us making a mistake. Is accepting it. Now this is a failure you have oldman.

You play the enterprise card so you can say anything oldman. About what enterprise does. But that is only your small corner of the universe it is not what all enterprise is doing.

A long time ago a sop had the management over a barrel. This why our management is so strict on policies. Like you will use configuration management so you must share what you alter in a server. This make you replaceable. No one has the right ever to hold the company to ransom. How dare you even suggest this. Also high accountability on who changed what is required to detect and locate rogue sop.

This is my problem your system does not have the features to detect a rogue sop. Let say a rogue sop goes in and alters one of your vm images how will you detect it and trace it back.

Simple fact is you are incompetent that you are failing to understand the system I describe and why it was created or you are a sop holding you management to ransom. Pick. Call you incompetent is me being nice oldman. My calling of your as incompetent is not baseless and you should be happy I called you that.

Being incompetent at something can be fixed. Being a sop holding a company to ransom is not really something that can be fixed. Lot of your behavior matches a sop holding a company to ransom. Like must pay for software. I don’t have that power. I have to make do with the software I am given or can source for nothing. I have to design for the day management cannot afford to pay for software. Because I will still be expected to perform my job until income turns up.

The system here is created purely to prevent the case of a sop being able to be trouble or income issues causing trouble.

Now since you raised the point are you a sop holding management to ransom. This is something I have found when someone accuses you of something that is 100 percent not true 90 percent of the time its true of them.

Of course my words are not that of a manager that you are use to. We are required to state how we feel. If we feel like killing you over something we are meant to state it. Reason lower stress and longer life of staff and less hidden revenge. Yes staff and management are not meant to pull any punches from each other. If you don’t state how you fell you will be asked.

Hidden revenge can cost millions. We are from two different enterprise cultures oldman as well as background.

Now there has to be a personality weakness. Sorry oldman there is not a weakness there either.

You have never seen me and everyone who knows me would laugh about me being called a “unwashed geek”. This is baseless name calling. Baseless name calling is forbin in most enterprises. Since it bad for moral. To be correct I don’t know of any enterprise culture that tolerates this.

Yes your lack of enterprise culture experience shows and you own lack flaws show major-ally about time you deal with them oldman.

18. oldman says:

Once again, Mr. oiaohm, you speak of killing someone. You have spoken of people not having to like you You talk about all of the people having to learn to having to accept their own incompetence.

Is this the speach of a manager? Certainly not a good one IMHO.

To be blunt sir, I am beginning to wonder if contrarian in calling you a transparent BS artist has not read you better than I. I am beginning to really doubt that you work for a large enterprise because Most large enterprises that I know are more caring about their staff that you are. This means that either you are spinning a load of Bushwah about your role, or your organization is nothing more than some local local R&D shop is the middle of nowhere Australia run by a bunch of unwashed geeks like yourself.

I am also beginning to suspect your managers title is more of a sop to someone who has is management over a barrel, and that you real position is as a chief cook and bottle washer system geek in an organization who gets to call the shots because he is the only one around.

Mr oiaohm, the only thing that you prove time and time again in your long winded attempts to put me down is Bernard Shaws dictim that no man can be a pure specialist without being in a strictest sense an idiot. And for all your apparent technical knowledge, you are as far as I am concerned an idiot where it counts, in dealing with people, and I readily believe that your management more than has their hands full dealing with you.

At Any rate, I meant what I said before. Since you refuse to stop with the nasty arrogant abuse, this is the last you will be hearing from me in any way. I will be posting to be sure, but I will be Ignoring your posts as the noise that they amount to.

Ch virtual desktops. 3 words. Multi Windows Applications. Gimp and programs of that style. Virtual desktops come into there own. Tools on one desktop what you editing on another. Quick switch between.

Most multi window application are basically useless on windows on a single screen machine. Some of them are truly really good when you have them in VD support or multi screens.

Other usage is some of us will have monitoring on a desktop or activity.

Mostly virtual desktops solve the same problems that you see people putting multi screens on Windows for. Ch. Now if you don’t need multi screens on Windows then Virtual desktops are most likely useless to you.

Particular classes of people have particular needs. Ch. You might not be the class to see the sense of VD.

Ie VD is for those applications that need more than Full screen.

20. A user of any GUI may well have a browser, word-processor, multimedia player and a few other things running. Virtual desktops give you fewer things you need to click on in any view making hunting and pecking faster. They are no doubt more useful to power users creating and consuming content.

or Ch might have no imagination…

21. Ch says:

I love this logic: Nobody needs applications but everybody needs virtual desktops to organize all those applications.

I’ve often wondered why Linux users are so enthusiastic about their virtual desktops. Since the early 1990s, just about every graphic card came with some VD tool, but I could never see the use for them. Here’s the best explanation I can come up with:
    – On Windows, I typically run applications that allow me to do whatever it is I’m doing in one place, so I just switch between several full-screen apps. The taskbar is just fine for that, VDs wouldn’t help. (If I need another application, I can often just insert it into my main app.)
    – I guess that on Linux you typically use many small apps (each in it’s small window) side-by-side. I can see how VDs are useful in this scenario, but it simply doesn’t apply to most Windows users.

oldman arcsight and snort is Network Intrusion Detection not Host Intrusion Detection.

Host Intrusion Detection is what you need to clean up proper after arcsight goes off. Even detect stuff that arcsight misses.

Oldman we started in two completely different shops.

That you started with IBM virtalization. I understand now where you bad habit of using images too much comes from and not using items like cfengine. The early IBM books recommended over and over again. At the time cfengine did not exist when those books were written. So you got into a habit and missed new feature out there. cfengine is 1993 to fix the configuration script from hell issue. Basically you missed a key event and I now see you don’t yet understand its full effects on operations. Because you are just starting to use puppet now.

“Nope. The intrusion detection setup is handled by our security group. They are running arcsight and snort.”

What you have just describe is the classic mistake. You will have the 3 teams. Secuirty, Deployment and Development. Issue here to run secuirty properly all alterations done in Deployment and Development the Secuirty team must be informed of or they cannot do there job.

This is where secuirty has a problem. They cannot run hard set hids if they don’t know what the Deployment people are doing. Since otherwise they will get false positives all the time.

Cfengine is our Deployment/maintenance configuration recording system and since its integrated with hids secuity team can run hids without false positives coming from deployment/maintenance people are doing. Even better secuirty team can audit the setting deployment/maintenance teams are doing a lot more effectively. Reason they can just go down the deployed templates.

Next cfengine is used in the development teams to provide deployment/maintenance teams with how the item should be deployed. Also allows deployment to propose questions in form of a configuration alteration that everyone understands to development teams.

One of the really nice features of cfengine is that template can be locked from being able to be installed with each other in case of incompatibilities between applications. Again error prevention.

Basically cfengine is the universal language for all 3 departments to talk to each other with the least human. Instructions from secuirty and development to do alteration to deployment/maintenance come in form of a cfengine file so they cannot typo them. We do use a git storage these days to store the templates. So we can track who did what. Basically we each have our own working trees that are shared centrally and provides high tamper resistance and tracking to who did what.

This is what I mean about testing as part of normal process. When you sync you git to server if anyone has tampered with your timeline it will show. Only if your machine get breached can something enter as you into the central store and possibility go unnoticed.

Basically in our system everyone is part of the Host Intrusion Detection system. We are require to report anything odd we see to the secuirty teams. If you are in the secuirty team a report of all events must go to management. This is the only way Host Intrusion Detection can fully work. Everyone in the 3 teams must have there eyes open looking for it.

Like go to deploy a cfengine patch over a server see that more alterations have to be done to bring it into alignment than its relations. Either someone missed it. Or something is going wrong with that machine/image. More often than not its something going wrong with that machine. So there is a chance that intrusion will be detected before hids software is run by secuirty teams.

oldman your accountability in your system is lower. Means to fix errors lower. Means to secure system proper is lower. All because configuration management solutions are not deployed by the brute force of management. Instead you have been using a solution that is really not up to the job.

What you have been doing oldman is incompetence by my level of training. But now that I know you started with the IBM documentation oldman I will give you a break for being a old man and not keeping up on everything as you should have and that your early training sent you the wrong way around the problem. Basically oldman you had a case of trained incompetence. Not just incompetence because you have never learn anything. Lower on the scale yes.

Here we have to accept when we are incompetent of have been incompetent. Also its not your incompetence alone. Secuirty teams should have been enforcing the usage of configuration management or at least been making applications to management to have that enforced. Then if it got to management they should be landing on you like a ton of bricks so you do use the configuration management no matter how much you protest.

Yes usage of configuration management is mandatory for anyone doing high quality enterprise work. Has been that way for over 10 years. Any shop not doing that has incompetence somewhere that needs retraining to modern day standards.

Lot about vmware sphere means nothing to me be because of the use of cfengine.

cfengine and items like it are a keystone to build a secure network and time effective network.

oldman you more than misspoke. You said you could not deploy freeipa because you had to turn off networkmanager because it would move away from bog standard redhat. This directly showed me existence of a major issue in the way you were doing things. Because turning that off should been normal. Not something special. That mistake got me out to kill you oldman.

“I also dont give a crap what you do in your environment. Hacked up is hacked up, no matter how you slice it, and while you can test to the cows come home, you cant test for all cases, and the pore cases their are more likely that your testing will miss a glitch that that will show up in production after running for a while.”

To be correct this is not true. You can test for all cases related to arch change. Because they are not that many. Most common issue is that a library is missing or that the java is using a jini that calls arch code that must be able to link to other arch code. Basically a dependancy walk. But for a dependancy walk to work on some programs you have to run them so they decode there copy protection.

What you said is a common presume/myth oldman.

Before you can go multi arch proper you need to get your operations bound to a configuration management solution. The time saving from a proper configuration management solution makes bosses more happy to allow you to experiment. Since configuration management makes errors time cheap to repair.

Other thing about cfengine it also makes boses more tollerate of using other options like scientific linux instead of redhat for tested solutions. Reason a cfengine template for redhat will apply to scientific perfectly and scientific has no license cost. You virtual machine templates are limiting your options. Increasing costs. So yes the mistake you and boss have made is bad oldman. You will see how bad once you get use to running configuration management. So even if you don’t go multi arch there are cost saving on offer from cfengine with no reduction in quality of service.

Your tunnel vision of limited options come from lack of something like cfengine taking the work load away from using many options. Yes the poor quality results don’t happen when using cfengine anywhere near much when running multi distribution.

Yes multi distribution usage normally comes before multi arch. Multi arch is just extra level. Once you are there you are doing what Linux can do.

23. oldman says:

“Everyone one them has their ass planted squarely on top of their shoulders. And that includes you “oldman”.”

Nope. I am well aware of the issues with the third world, Mr. Chapman. When you cant afford better, good enough is mighty attractive. But that still does not change the fact that better is better, especially if you need it.

“Your “let them eat cake” attitude is an insult to your unfortunate countrymen whoever they may be. ”

And your “beggars cant be choosers attitude” is equally an insult, unless you believe that none of your fellow countrymen can afford commercial software.

“Nobody needs your stupid applications. At least 90% of us don’t. You can point and laugh all you want “oldman” but the joke is on you.”

But my dear Mr. Chapman, the other 10% who actually can afford it and who do need the software will continue to reap the benefits of using commercial software, and will laugh at you because in the end, you blind zealotry in their case falls on deaf ears.

It is in the end OK

24. oldman says:

“I will make a clear point I started in servers when there was no such thing as vitalization. Same with the company I work with. When you had racks and racks of servers you had to configure and reconfigure.”

When I started my career, i did extensive work with VM/CMS on IBM mainframes and even got work work with virtualizing multiple instances of MVS on top of VM/CMS. Virtualization existed in my career from the beginning. When vmware came on the scene in the late 90’s it was like coming home and I’ve been their since.

“My solutions are not hacked up at all. I know what I am doing. I know what I can do. Due to being highly effective due to using cfengine I have the time to talk to the application developers and the DBA makers to find out what their real requirements are. Since it does not take me long to implement conversions from x86 to arm or anything else due to cfengine in most cases. I am allowed to experiment and test more options.”

But as I have said we have very little leeway to experiment and zero in the area of applications, so all of what you can do is irrelevant.

“This is another think I would suspect you don’t have running either oldman. A proper Host Intrusion Detection system.”

“I know your bosses seam hard asses. But they are pussy cats to mime. Because crap work you have been doing would not be tolerated due to the secuirty risk alone.”

Mr oiaohm, I dont report to your bosses, I report to mine. I dont get to countermand them any more than you do yours.

I did misspeak when I described our linux setups as bog standard, I should have specified that we do make configuration changes that serve to harden our servers security wise. Because I omitted this I left myself wide open to your commentary on my technical capability.

But beyond that Mr. oiaohmn, I am tired of your arrogant comments on my technical capabilities. You don’t know me sir, You dont know my environment, you don’t work with me, and even if you did, any attempts to cast aspersions on my abilities with anywhere near the nastiness that you display in your posts would not only not be tolerated, but YOU would find yourself in trouble no matter how “right” you might be.

In spite of our differences, there is much in your commentary that is worth thinkong about. But , If you keep insisting on commenting on my technical skills, then the conversation with you will stop.

25. Richard Chapman says:

“Where we fall flat is when you arrogantly assume that you know what the needs fo the rest of the world are.”

The needs are simple “oldman”. It’s that simple. They don’t need to run servers, you do. They don’t need Photoshop, you do. They don’t need AutoCad, you do. And on, and on, and on. Give them an OS that doesn’t change with normal use and doesn’t crash. Give them a browser that doesn’t invite malware. Give them basic tools and they will be happy.

I cannot believe the arrogance I have encountered from the Microsoft supporters on this blog. Everyone one them has their ass planted squarely on top of their shoulders. And that includes you “oldman”. Your “let them eat cake” attitude is an insult to your unfortunate countrymen whoever they may be. Wake the hell up and look around. Microsoft is hanging on by their fingernails to the desktop. That’s all that’s left! And the only ground you have left to defend is you stupid “applications”. Nobody needs your stupid applications. At least 90% of us don’t. You can point and laugh all you want “oldman” but the joke is on you.

26. oldman says:

“But I am part of the rest of the World and I do speak for that part of the population. The needs of the majority of the population are pedestrian. The cult of Microsoft are literally yelling applications, applications, applications! Yeah, it’s the applications alright, just not for everybody.”

Fair enough, but you still dont speak for the rest of the world any more than we do Mr. Chapman.

I think a better case can be mode for the notion that the vast majority of people are content consumers who would be quite content with a tablet, of a web surfing function that is built into their cable TV setup. If you wish to make this case, you will actually find that

(shock, horrors)

we agree.

O BTW Mr. Chapman, Perchance is here outside the USA?

27. Richard Chapman says:

“I view them as a poor man’s substitute for multiple displays.”

You arrogant asshole!

28. Richard Chapman says:

“You don’t speak for me…”

No problem with that. But I am part of the rest of the World and I do speak for that part of the population. The needs of the majority of the population are pedestrian. The cult of Microsoft are literally yelling applications, applications, applications! Yeah, it’s the applications alright, just not for everybody. Come down here and surf the ‘net for a couple of months and do nothing else. See what good your Quad Four Smoker is doing to your electric bill and what you’re getting for it. See how much good AutoCad is doing just sitting on your hard drive. Applications are only important if you are using them. I’ll stick with my opinion that 90% of the users on this planet don’t need Microsoft. That any of the popular GNU/Linux distros would do a better job than any release of Windows. I’m basing that opinion on my own experience with Microsoft and GNU/Linux and that of many other people who I am close to who have switched. Microsoft peaked out with XP. Vista and ‘7’ have been short on useful features and long on shiny. And people buy it not because they “choose” it but because they are not aware that there is anything else. People do not choose Microsoft.

29. We regularly read that M$’s office suite is a requirement for business. That’s nonsense. Only about half the PCs in the world run M$’s office suite, according to Ballmer. I was sending an applications for jobs today and one business accepted two formats, .doc, and .txt. Another accepted .doc and .pdf. They realize they should not insist on .doc. That implies that usage of M$’s office suite is not universal.

oldman at least you are starting to use puppet. I will give you some major advice. Change now. Reason puppet dependance on ruby has come back and bit us quite bad.

Cfengine is a C based program very dependable due to it low number of dependance to blow feet off.

We do like to strip some solutions down to the bare min languages so puppet blocks us from stripping out ruby.

I will point out the number 1 reason why we never started printing vm images as a key solution. Old images that are behind on updates. It took very little time to convert a generic image to what ever we required after we had Cfengine templates.

You did not have standardized configuration process.

Cfengine templates are not like virtual machine images. Since you can apply more than 1 template to 1 image.

“I don’t have the luxury of dictating technology – any changes to our environment involve negotiations with the application developers and the DBA’s. In fact it is so difficult and so laborious to get that buy-in that it results in the Bog standard Red Hat setup we deliver to developers.”

Wonder why. So you end up with weaker and more cpu consuming solutions due to items in Redhat not being turn off on images where its required.

Our developer starting template of Redhat is very bare. No networkmanager program no services at all on by default. Then what the application requires installed into the image.

Really oldman I don’t confuse lack of skill for lack of control. Using vmware sphere to stamp out images is lack of control and extra complexity migrating to newer versions of distributions. Stupid instance on 100 percent bog standard redhat instead of following own direction to remove services that are not require for operation of a server. This shows lack of skill somewhere.

For most things you could be on redhat enterprise 6 now.

Really the lack of use of items like puppet and cfengine is why you think what I do is hard. Really I do less work in update cycles between distrobutions versions. Since any tweak required ends up in templates.

Also by stripping redhat suse and debian down to bare bones lot of templates are generic.

I am sorry you should have been using something like puppet or Cfengine for years now oldman. Not just starting to get your head around it.

Cfengine is older and way more mature at doing the job as well.

Cfengine like tools are for making your images to deploy in vms. For updating you instances so that each image duplicated maintains duplicate corrections to configuration.

Basically vm image solution is very much junk. Exactly how does the vm image solution keep alterations between images synced. Simple answer it don’t.

I can cope in a pure cfengine no vm images better than I can cope in a vm image only system. For maintenance of quality.

So I have maintenance down to a fine art.

I don’t see you as rusty oldman. I see you as incompetent. Because you were depending on vitalization images todo a job that puppet or cfengine are ment to be doing. So would have been creating more work for yourself so you don’t have the time to follow up on stuff.

This all results in taking short cuts. Claiming maintaining stuff I do takes a lot of effort. Only reason why what I do would take a lot of effort is if you are doing way too much manual.

Less than 1 hour of my time to convert x86 setup to arm or arm to x86. Yes that is with request for clarifications to applications makers and DBA makers.

Manually todo what I do with cfengine you are talking many hours of employee time. So not viable.

Power cost of a protoserver to test something running for 2 days is less than paying me 1 hours wages.

Yes if you set a setting manually in a Linux or solaris box will get you fired here. Since every setting change install operation and so on has to be done by cfengine. This does help with secuirty auditing. Any config file altered different to cfengine template will raise alarm. Basically its part of our Host Intrusion Detection system.

31. Richard Chapman says:

“That’s available since almost a whole decade from MS. Powertoys for XP had it already.”

Not from Microsoft. Third party add-ons (that’s where they got it from) are not the same. Besides 1) they are poor substitutes for the real thing, they have hardly any of the functionality of GNU/Linux multiple desktops and, 2) they just add more bloat and registry rot to an already challenged OS.

“Graphic file downloading? What do you mean?”

You are a sad case when the opposition has to tell you what’s going on with your beloved Microsoft: “[Windows 8] will combine file…dialog boxes into a single box, you’ll be able to stop and pause…the new operating system will…feature a graph that shows the data transfer speed, transfer rate trend, and how much…is left to transfer.”

This feature has been available on GNU/Linux since forever. I can’t believe Microsoft thinks this is cool. It’s freakin’ normal. Every OS should have it.

“Oh, wait, just looked it up, the multiple desktop tool is still available from MS and got updated.”

Oh look, why is it not integrated into the OS? It’s an add-on. I remember when I was an XP user. There was tons of free/shareware available that I could pile onto XP. I remember one in particular. I wanted the system clock to show seconds. I searched and searched but I could not find anything in XP that would give me seconds on the system clock. How lame is that? So I went in search on the Internet for a utility that would do it. In short order I found one. I downloaded it, doubled clicked on the setup.exe file, clicked next, clicked next, clicked next, clicked finished, rebooted and there it was, seconds on my system clock. What could be easier? Doing it on GNU/Linux, that’s what’s easier. In fact, every modification to your desktop is easier on GNU/Linux and none of it clogs up your system. That’s the difference between multiple desktops on Microsoft and GNU/Linux.

32. oldman says:

“Mostly the issue oldman is you are under-skilled. Sane bosses demand the usage of items like Cfengine to reduce human errors. Quality work requires reducing how many chances a human gets to screw it up.”

Your a trip Mr. oiaohm! You seem have the typical arrogant techno geeks problem of confusing the lack of skill with lack of control. Here’s a news flash, Mr oiaohm. Even were I inclined to favor the kind of hacked up environment that you have helped implement, I am constrained by managerial fiat and local politics. I don’t have the luxury of dictating technology – any changes to our environment involve negotiations with the application developers and the DBA’s. In fact it is so difficult and so laborious to get that buy-in that it results in the Bog standard Red Hat setup we deliver to developers.

As far as Standardized templates are concerned, we have them already in our virtual infrastructure. We regularly stamp out pre configured linux and windows vm’s. On the physical size, we have started working with puppet for configuring our linux boxes.

No doubt I would be somewhat rusty having to deal with the kind of hacked up environment that you insist on running, but I assure you I would have no trouble doing so.

“Oldman why are you currently sorting out issues with the Linux Desktop. Has the Linux Desktop started digging its way into your workspace.”

I periodically sort out issues with the linux desktop for my own purposes. We have 300+ Red Hat linux servers, but as of yet there is no major linux penetration.

Remember Mr oiaohm, I run a linux desktop as a guest of a windows 7 host under vmware workstation. I have all the tools that I will need for both environments at my fingertip, and chan change as needed, if and when the linux desktop gets its act together.

Also keep in mind, I run applications not operating systems. I have a set of commercial desktop applications under windows the get the work done for me. The equivalent desktop applications with the function and feature that I require do not exist under linux. The vendors of desktop applications that I do business do not support linux.

Until they do, all the potential in the world is just meaningless techno babble.

33. Yonah says:

“Since I and 90% of everybody else in this world don’t need…”

Hold it right there, Richard. You don’t speak for me and you certainly don’t speak for the rest of the world’s population. That’s what drives me up a wall when dealing with partisans. You frequently project your own wants and needs onto everyone else in the most exaggerated manner. There is an entire universe of Windows software out there in all flavors from proprietary to freeware. You can’t possibly know what everyone wants, needs, or likes. You simply want to believe that everyone is the same as you. We aren’t all the same and speaking on behalf of myself, I never want to adopt your standards.

As for virtual desktops, I view them as a poor man’s substitute for multiple displays. For the few Windows users that want virtual desktops, they can have them, but I doubt the demand is as high as many Linux users claim it to be.

“As far as I can see, KDE4 is light years ahead of Windows 7.”

You see the exact opposite of what I see.

Ivan Foxcomm is firing their slave humans and replace them with robots. Reason robots don’t commit suicide and cause bad press as number 1. Number 2 Robots don’t suffer from human error after working for 24 hours straight.

Yes this is 1 million plus out of a job on production lines at Foxcomm. China is reaching the point they don’t need slave labor any more. So the excuse that first world cannot compete with china due to lower wages is about to be come bull crap. It will become First World cannot compete with china because we are tech primitives in the use of robots.

oldman yes hosting providers are stocked with people of my class that do the job of IT proper. Having a proper test cycle can be integrated into any business. Since its the only way you get dependability under any condition. Including those running windows. It always comes down to the one thing. Did you test your recovery plan/maintenance under the worst possible conditions you can dream up. Most business with poor IT answer no to this. Where places I would be answering yes. Result higher quality work less downtime when things go wrong because the recovery process works. In fact due to being tested the recovery process can be time framed.

Worst possible conditions is new staff because your old staff is dead. Lot of documentation lost and you have to get back on your feet in a reasonable amount of time.

In fact I don’t maintain my own builds of OS’s. I have my own cfengine templates. That enables me to take stock builds of redhat debian and so on and deploy them how I need them. Lot of the templates are distribution neutral and some cases OS netural. This is the big difference between you and me oldman. Most of my operations are not dependent on only getting what I want. If I have what I need todo the job I do the job.

Cfengine makes Linux Solaris even Windows if you pay for it simpler to rapid customize for customer. Yes Cfengine paid version templates Windows configurations. Template installation avoids human error. This is the other thing people like me do everything to reduce the human factor. Lot of vmware features for managing windows are duplications of what I get out of Cfengine.

Currently I am looking at smartos a solaris based the solaris version of kvm is interesting Windows runs faster in the kvm than on the real hardware due to the internal core faults of Windows disk io. Yes disk io handling errors are holding Windows back. This is why using hyper-v is stupidity.

Features holding the Linux Desktop back.
    1) ulatencyd not being commonly deployed in Distrobutions and integrated into windows managers. Windows and OS X users are use to the fact they minimize something that it will get less resource access. Linux on the other hand does not do this. Yes the lack of bias in the scheduler is why people complain about the Linux desktop being lagging compared to what they are use to even if its performing better. Even audio breakups can trace to this.
    2) The old X11 system. DRI1 is at long last starting to go to the bit grave yard.
    3) the most evil issue the audio stack. alsa and pulseaudio are basically fighting with each other how things should be done. sysdefault that alsa has just added changes the game a bit.
    4) Lack of applications for particular markets. Really the claim about Linux and closed source not mixing is kind not true. In the web server market where Linux is quite dominate there is lots of closed source for Linux. This is more a market share issue what becomes a chicken and egg issue.

We could be inside 12 months of the first 3 issues there going by by. That list for sure is going to half by this time next year.

Year of Linux Desktop will only happen when you can tick a particular list of features off. Most people taking about the year of Linux desktop never made a list.

Scheduler that is altering to user actions is a major key. Interesting Linux DRI2 drivers may have a gpu access Scheduler. Something Windows does not have.

To be trueful for a long time Linux Developers did not give a rats how bad the X11 server was. Reason that was not a major market for Linux. Something changed in the last 6 years. Lot of core developers started taking the desktop market serous-ally. But 40+ years of legacy/bad code takes ages to clean up.

systemd and other items that are coming also enhance Linux secuirty. To the point that Linux will be many times more traceable internally than what Windows is. Even with server loads ulatencyd is useful. Anti-fork bomb and other detections.

35. I don’t think pay is the key factor in China. Foxconn is a huge factory city and people feel like robots. That’s not good for the id. Probably more space and time for human factors would stop the suicides but the increased pay is past due.

36. Bookreader wrote, “It’s not activated by default because I guess the usability department at MS decided that the multiple desktop concept sucks or whatever.”

Increased usability sucks? I have 3 virtual desktops in use at the moment. There’s just so much one can put on one desktop. After the tabs shrink to pin heads what are you going to do? Virtual desktop are practically essential. It beats searching for processes. I have one VD for reading and writing on the web, one for creation of documents and one to remind me who I am… I think the most I have ever used was 6 when I was teaching, monitoring systems, and running applications on other systems. Hiding the VDs was probably a strategy of M$ to help sell more displays…

37. Bookreader says:

Works even with Win7, just tested it:

It’s just a single 116 KB file. (uncompressed).

So multiple desktops are directly available from MS for the newest Win version. The fact that the file is so small means that the function is built-in into Windows already, but it’s just activated.

38. Ivan says:

“Wage rates are rising in China.”

Sure they are and Foxconn employees are just “falling to death” not killing themselves.

39. Bookreader says:

The “new” graphic file downloading feature in Windows 8 is just one.

Graphic file downloading? What do you mean?

The usability division at MS probably thinks it confuses users or whatever and won’t include it in 7 and 8.

Maybe they are right:

Of course there are freeware tools available for that anyway.

40. Richard Chapman says:

“On the desktop Adequate for some tasks, inadequate for others, and certainly IMHO less adequate than the currently shipping version of windows as a platform for applications.”

Since I and 90% of everybody else in this world don’t need those applications GNU/Linux is far more than adequate. Why “far more”? Because Microsoft is just beginning to add features to its OS that GNU/Linux users have enjoyed for years. The “new” graphic file downloading feature in Windows 8 is just one. I have to admit, I’m still somewhat stunned that Microsoft is touting this as something worthy of mention. It is so trivial. I can’t imagine the marketing blitz they will launch when they finally add multiple desktops to their OS. They will call it something really cool and pretend they invented it and the World will probably believe them. And what will you say “oldman”? That Microsoft added some special kind of functionality to it so they really did invent it? As far as I can see, KDE4 is light years ahead of Windows 7. Microsoft will never catch up to KDE in desktop features and functionality.

What is holding Microsoft back? Why is this stupid, trivial Graphic loading “feature” such a big deal? How long did that take to code? A couple of days maybe? Why do they make such a big deal out of how pretty the new OS is and leave out real progress like a new file system. What the hell is going on in Redmond? Don’t you ever wonder “oldman”? I do. Nothing of real substance seems to be happening except litigation.

41. Hypo says:

Lol, Pogs, pot calling kettle much, eh?

OMG, the hundreds of millions of users of Windows desktop are using crap, according to Pogson.

42. oldman wrote of Android/Linux, ” it is useless as a linux desktop replacement.”

…but M$ wrote, “Windows Division revenue reflected relative performance in PC market segments. We estimate that sales of PCs to businesses grew approximately 11% this year and sales of PCs to consumers declined approximately 1%. The decline in consumer PC sales included an approximately 32% decline in the sales of netbooks. Taken together, the total PC market increased an estimated 2% to 4%.”

M$ recognizes the reality that tablets running iOS and Android/Linux, largely, are taking a bite out of PC sales but oldman does not. Tablets running Android/Linux are selling well no matter what some fans of Apple may say. Many people are replacing the purchase of a PC with the purchase of a tablet so tablets running Android/Linux are not useless replacement of a desktop PC. Growth of PC shipments is typically 10% per annum. A decline of 1% is huge. That means tens of millions of PCs being replaced by something else.

43. oldman says:

“e.g. Compuweb Communications Services
    used Debian GNU/Linux and Centos. They are in the top ten of Netcraft’s most reliable hosters and they have a SLA for dedicated hosting with”

Big Deal Pog.

Compuweb communications services is probably well stocked with oiaohm types and has the commitment to maintaining their own built in to their business plan. IN the end however they are a corner case of the business world.

Debian distro s considered by the uncharitable like myself as communitian hackers crap that is commercial hostile and generally unresponsible, The openSSH fiasco does nothing to dispell this image.

The fact remains that for most business LInux is either Red Hat or SUSE – Thats it!

44. oldman says:

@Chapman

“What is it now “oldman”?”

@twitter

Android is commercial OS that was based on the linux kernal. It does not execute userland tools, it can not execute linux binaries – it is useless as a linux desktop replacement.

45. OMG, the millions of users of GNU/Linux desktop are using crap, according to oldman.

Bushwah.

When I switched, that other OS crashed multiple times daily and GNU/Linux desktops did not. When I switched, that other OS could be brought down by an application. It would run out of RAM or foul up its file-system. GNU/Linux was much more reliable. The only advantage that other OS had in 2000 was better fonts. That was fixed long ago. Further, I don’t have to put up with M$’s weird ways: WGdisA, re-re-reboots, zero-day attacks, 1000 new malwares daily, slowness, and wait-please-waiting.

There are tons of servers on the web not running RedHat. The important things for a web server are the Linux kernel which is solid and reliable in many distros and the application which is often some variant of Apache.

e.g. Compuweb Communications Services

46. 25 minute reboot guarantee
  47. Price freeze
  48. 99.99% connectivity guarantee
  49. 1-hour hardware replacement guarantee
  50. So, while RedHat is good, they are not the only way to go for business.