ARM: Q2 2011 Shipped 1.1 Billion ARM CPUs for Smart Phones and Tablets

ARM’s second quarter report describes 25% growth in revenue, 29 new customers including 9 Cortex A and 12 Cortex M processors. This is proof that investment in research and development of ARMed devices will continue strongly for the next few years.

The reasons for this growth are clear:

• low power consumption is vital for mobile devices,
  • people love small cheap computers, and
  • because ARM makes modest demands for royalties manufacturers actually make more money from selling devices at lower cost than they can tacking on huge fees for Wintel.

The last point cannot be overemphasized. Hardware makers are running tiny margins on devices with Wintel inside so that the licence for that other OS includes most of the margin. With ARM and Android/Linux margins are many times larger and the margin is mostly in the selling of the hardware not the software and not the chips. This motivates hardware makers to innovate and to produce products that consumers want and not just tolerate. The idea that a small number of businesses hold all innovation on the planet is false and deflating rapidly as even small players can do amazing things with this technology. The Wintel monopoly is on its last legs as consumers can find other systems on retail shelves for the first time in decades anywhere on the planet.

50 Responses to ARM: Q2 2011 Shipped 1.1 Billion ARM CPUs for Smart Phones and Tablets

1. Contrarian says:

“Recently, the US government had a balanced budget.”

I thought that the last happy days for budgets was back when Bill Clinton was collecting good vibes and tax payments from the .COM IPO stockholders’ profits, but I was wrong. So are you.

It was close, though. The shortfall in 2000 was but a few days worth of expenses in, say, Iraq.

2. Richard Chapman says:

“If you think that bragging about phones is arrogance, you are a pretty hard case…”

Well at least you stopped talking about yourself.

3. “In antiquity, Somalia was an important centre for commerce with the rest of the ancient world,[15][16] and according to most scholars, Somalia is where the ancient Land of Punt was situated.[17][18] During the Middle Ages, several powerful Somali empires dominated the regional trade, including the Ajuuraan State, the Sultanate of Adal, the Warsangali Sultanate and the Gobroon Dynasty. In the late nineteenth century, the British and Italians gained control of parts of the coast, and established British Somaliland and Italian Somaliland[19] In the interior, Muhammad Abdullah Hassan’s Dervish State successfully repulsed the British Empire four times and forced it to retreat to the coastal region,[20] but the Dervishes were finally defeated in 1920 by British airpower.[21] Italy acquired full control of their parts of the region in 1927. This occupation lasted until 1941, when it was replaced by a British military administration.”

So, Somalia was not a basket-case until the europeans mucked it up.

Recently, the US government had a balanced budget.

4. Contrarian says:

“Somalia”

I think that Somalia has been starving and reported in the press long before television was invented, #pogson.

“US government living on credit”

Ditto.

“Lohan DUI?”

I had to google for that to refresh my memory, #pogson. I am surprised that you are such a fan. I would simply note that iconoclasm and taking delight in the fall of the once lofty power such interests, just like they power some FOSS fans to cheer for any setback to Microsoft.

5. Contrarian says:

#chapman, you are the villain here. If you think that bragging about phones is arrogance, you are a pretty hard case. Rather, I think that suggesting that I have a problem with pride and am “hollow” for using the common items in widespread use whereas your minimalism is some sort of nobility is true arrogance.

6. oldman says:

“Somehow I didn’t think you could resist showing us more of yourself Contrarian. You wear your arrogance well.”

As do you Mr. Chapman.

7. Richard Chapman says:

8. Contrarian wrote, “If you had a TV, you might find how far the world has advanced.”

Chuckle. You mean like

9. Somalia,
  10. US government living on credit, or
  11. Lohan DUI?
  12. I don’t see much value in television except time-wasting. I have 500 channels and use about 5: weather, CBC, PBS, and some prime-time action time-wasting.