Smartphones Take 8% Bite Out of WWW

8% of US adults primarily access the Internet through their smart phone. Since smart phone usage is growing by leaps, this is likely to increase. It means that in addition to making good phones and small, cheap personal computers, smart phones are replacing some major usage of personal computers.

Consider what most consumers do with a PC:

• browse the web, or
  • listen to or watch media obtained from CD or the web
  • The smart phone can do these things as well and probably at lower cost.

According to Pew Internet, 35% of US adults own a smart phone so this phenomenon can triple. Many youth will thrive on smart phones as well. Take that, Wintel, your section of the pie is getting smaller.

6 Responses to Smartphones Take 8% Bite Out of WWW

Contrarian fuss over Arm is not exactly miss placed.

“Obviously with smart phones and tablets, along with plain old feature phones, available in such great numbers, there should be more of an effect on conventional OS platform software sales than there has been to date. I think #pogson is betting on a slow dog in a horse race and does not realize it.”

In fact the old feature phones did have an effect in the server room. Requirement to support activesync so they could collect emails. Yes when MS Mobile OS’s where dominate in business it pushed a lot of Unix servers a side.

Symbian has caused a lot of client side stuff to be java so it could be ported to it.

The Android take off is also having effects in business in what they are asking their websites writers to support. Now there is lag. Between when an item takes off. And businesses wake up it is important to their bottom line.

A slow dog can ruin a horse race if it happens to be laying in the wrong place.

Arm and Android are two such items. Might not directly take over the desktop but will be disruptive.

Simple fact for me the Android devices have done in my need for taking a laptop with me in a lot of cases. Note the mini projector carry I would have with me anyhow for giving presentations. The full size keyboard and mouse also would have been with me. As I can type faster on a full keyboard than a laptop keyboard. So I just deleted 1 laptop and gets the same work done anyhow.

Of course as more devices appear there will be more and more people able todo what I do. So the disruptive force will get worse. Now the question we don’t know is how much force that will end up being.

2. Contrarian says:

“Just seems you are out of touch with the up and coming generation”

Well, #Dann, you seem to be taking a derogatory positiion vis-a-vis my post, but somehow you seem to have a real problem with reading comprehension unless you are casting yourself into the same sort of mold. Perhaps when you’re older you will have more experience and will do a better job with clarifying your remarks!

As a young and impulsive software developer, do you really have a job? That wasn’t very clear from your post, although nothing else seemed all that clear either.

Somehow my non-use of my T-Mobile Tap is different from your Symbian feature phone? My use of a laptop is different from your use of a laptop? My non-use of iPad and iPhone is different from your non-use of them? I do not catch your drift.

I even use a Sansa MP3 player at the gym, eschewing the purchase of an iPod in any form as you say you do also. I do have a Zune embedded somewhere in the center console of my Milan and it responds to voice commands via the Ford Sync setup, so I am not totally out of it.

And, yes, I have been wrong before, but I have also been right and, on balance, more right than wrong over the years. I do think that all the fuss over ARM and such is misplaced. Obviously with smart phones and tablets, along with plain old feature phones, available in such great numbers, there should be more of an effect on conventional OS platform software sales than there has been to date. I think #pogson is betting on a slow dog in a horse race and does not realize it.

3. Dann says:

“I am an old retired guy who travels a bit to see the kids and grand kids, perhaps 3 weeks total on the road per year. ”

Not to seem insulting or person, but that does seem to fit the demograph of the most ardent Microsoft supporters.

I am a young impulsive software developer who travels when he wants and loves new gadgets.
      I have an old symbian phone, a dedicated mp3 player (who uses those, right?), I only use laptops and am waiting for a powerful ARM-based laptop or even desktop to come out for my more 3-D oriented pursuits.
      All my friends have androids or iphones. They laugh when they see my old phone. Even if they have to pay $60 CAD a month for ‘unlimited’ plans, they do.
      It’s prestige, beauty and functionality. They don’t like having dedicated gadgets because it weighs them down.
      I, on the other hand, like having dedicated devices so I know that what I want will work, and work WELL.
      And my friends use Win7. But they won’t touch a Windows 7 Phone.

Just seems you are out of touch with the up and coming generation.
      Again, nothing personal. With as much life experience as you have, surely you’ve been proven wrong before.

After these I would guess its only a matter of time we get an android head up display system to help golfers do better.

Yes I have considered a head up display + phone + projection keyboard before. More private than a laptop screen and smaller to pocket.

Contrarian in fact you are thick if you believe what you just said.

Smart phone and tables does not have to be a substitute to a computer to change the OS platform world.

Person wants to view their documents on a tablet or phone. Now software used on the desktop computer has to be compatible.

This increased compatible state will reduce some of the issues with migrating to Linux.

Just because don’t create the data on it does not mean it has no effect.

Yes there are reasons why I like android devices. One is the means to plug a full size keyboard into them. Another is a full size screen depending on the model of course.

Final one usb to ethernet to use hotels provided internet. For out in field android device is more than good enough.

So yes I sms with a full size keyboard. So for in field email.

Yes I agree with your kids iphone input system suxs. USB On The Go with android rocks. So phone is charging and I am typing up my email reports on what I have been doing or surfing the net and so on using a full size keyboard.

Really you need to try android devices with the gear very quickly do you work out apple has kicked everyone in teeth.

One of the fun features in Android 3.1 is proper support for using normal usb mouse. This is where the difference between a PC and a Phone kinda get blurred.

Nice bit about usb on go. I can leave keyboard mouse behind in room not really care if someone nicks them. Now laptop on days I just want to go shopping or other things becomes an annoyance when using shared accommodation.

Basically for people like me a laptop is a lead weight. Phone that can do most of internet stuff is very suitable. Combination I have is a mini projector and phone as the two items I have to keep on me. These are lighter and smaller than a laptop on me. Mini projector is a sneaky way of having a large screen back in room without having to lug large screen.

When I am at home I need a PC. While traveling no requirement.

“At bridge, golf, plays, symphony, and restaurants, the phone is off or left in the car and does nothing to earn its keep.” So is a laptop unless you want to be rude.

6. Contrarian says:

“Take that, Wintel, your section of the pie is getting smaller.”

I can only assume, #pogson, that you do not use a smart phone yourself and have never contemplated getting one to the extent that you evaluated the issues there. You are only grasping at such a straw to feed your discontent with Microsoft as evidenced by your statement above.

I have a sort of smart phone myself, a T-Mobile Tap, that works just fine for things like email and googling and has a bunch of apps that mimmic those on Droid and iPhone although without all the panache. Without all the cost, too, since it is a pay as you go plan that results in about $3 to $5 dollars a month in charges to my pre-pay.

I am an old retired guy who travels a bit to see the kids and grand kids, perhaps 3 weeks total on the road per year. Also, we have taken 5 cruises in the past 2 years for an average of 14 days away from home for that reason. During the days when I am not traveling, I am either sitting here and presenting a counter to your thoughts, playing bridge downtown, playing golf, or socializing with friends and neighbors at the club weekend dinners or plays or concerts or area restaurants.

When I worked, I didn’t do anywhere near so much travel or golf or web surfing since I was busy at work inventing clever ways to do things with a computer. I even continue to do much more of that than most people would see as reasonable since I enjoy it. Whenever I need a break from my current project, I generally do some posting on internet forums such as yours or voice my increasing irritation at political things on the news sites. I did much the same when I was working.

I almost never use a phone to do any of the things that can be done with a computer. For one thing, it is a fairly costly endeavor, starting with a hundred dollars or more for a phone that one can use for the task. Then there is the data plan. That either gobbles up minutes, for my pre-pay, or costs $50 to $100 a month for the air time.

All that I would get out of the process is a little convenience in getting email or finding an address on the internet. The cost is way too high, starting with the people who you are with thinking that you are a boorish lout for messing with your mail while conversing with them. Further, if you need to answer the mail, the input capabilities of even the iPhone 4 truly “suck” as the kids say.

When I travel away from home, I used to take my Acer One netbook (Windows 7) and either used it directly or as a remote desktop to my home workstation. I found that somewhat limiting, particularly when the internet connection was poor, and I bought the Dell laptop that I am using at the moment on my home wi-fi. When I get to a place where I can really spend time on a computer, I have what I need to do what I like to do efficiently and effectively. You can’t do that as well with a phone and you can’t do it any less expensively with a phone either. Phones are for making phone calls.

The grandkids all have phones and they all have iPads, at least each family has one, and they use it for games. When they talk to their friends, they text on the phone.

Bottom line, the smart phone is not a substitute for a computer and it is not even a minor threat to the OS platform or office automation software markets.