Yet another “GNU/Linux Desktop is DEAD” FUD-piece. Basically the authour writes that it won’t happen because it won’t happen, a circular argument. He even claims Dell, HP, ASUS and others selling PCs with GNU/Linux is not happening. I agree Dell is rather weak in its effort but HP intends to put Linux on most of its PCs and ASUS already does (ExpressGate – “In response to great user feedback, our plan is to proliferate Express Gate across our entire motherboard product portfolio, starting with over one million motherboards per month,” says Joe Hsieh, General Manager, ASUS Motherboard Business Unit. “Consumers want to turn their PCs on and off like any other appliance, and Express Gate has made that possible.”).
He goes on to claim that those defecting from M$ are going to Apple which is partly true but he has the wrong numbers for shares to show that. GNU/Linux is on about 10% of PCs and MacOS is on about 4%. M$ is losing, certainly, but Apple scarcely sells any desktops outside USA/Europe.
Check out AAPL at the SEC. Sales: Americas=$9billion, Europe=$6billion, Asia-Pacific=$4.7billion and Japan=$1.3billion. Mac unit sales in the most recent quarter were 3.76million units when the world shipped about 90million PCs. Can we say “4%”, boys and girls?
The 1% figure touted for GNU/Linux is clearly not representing reality. We know that other OS ships on about 76% of PCs. If 4% are shipped with MacOS, there are an awful lot shipping with GNU/Linux or No OS.
For a laugh, see Is Linux on the desktop dead?
In DepthShallowly: People are quitting Windows, but not for open source
By Gary Marshall
Google finds 100K hits for -Gary Marshall Linux- but over 1000K for -Gary Marshall Windows-. Apparently he does not know at all how GNU/Linux is doing on the desktop. One of his quotations tempts the reader to believe GNU/Linux has no useful office suite:
“Organisations are looking for solutions that provide value and solve their problems, and desktop Linux does not really do that when you have Windows and Office – real Microsoft Office – to run.”
UHHH, according to Trefis, M$ has 93% of the desktop “productivity” app-space. That leaves 7% able to use OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice and of course, many consumers never use a word-processor or spreadsheet. So, even Marshall’s own arguments cannot support the “1%” number, yet he doesn’t question it…
Trefis states that only 347 million PCs have “productivity software” out of 1500 million PCs so M$’s word-processor does little to keep GNU/Linux off desktops.