IE will not be fully patched in time for Pwn2Own next week. Let’s see. Hundreds of millions of PCs run IE and all the malware artists in the world will have IE’s downfall demonstrated in public… It boggles my mind that people run that software and M$ cares so little about the security of a necessarily-networked application.
Let me count the ways this situation is like flesh-eating disease:
- the tools used by the end-user become suicidal,
- left untreated death is inevitable,
- anti-malware may be useless, and
- ordinary, daily activities become dangerous.
In some cases the only treatment is amputation. Get rid of that other OS and its browser before it kills you and your PC.
Even if you feel lucky and this problem will not cause you harm, think what it says about your relationship with M$:
- M$ is not your friend,
- M$ is not a reliable supplier,
- M$ does not effectively support the products you buy from them,
- at any price IE and that other OS are not cost-effective, and
- de-lousing and re-installing that other OS makes you a slave of M$. You are doing their work and paying them for the privilege.
Instead of (re-)installing/choosing that other OS, use GNU/Linux, an operating system that is not out to get you.