Sometimes We Just Need To Laugh

Often life is not much fun but it beats the alternative…

Today, though, I had tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks. Sony, who is suing a guy for figuring out how to put GNU/Linux back on the PlayStation, has spread the “secret key” which is fundamental to the hacking. A guy posted it on Twitter and Sony’s guy on Twitter retweeted it… Sony has asked for a court order to clean up all instances of this key on the web and Sony just created thousands more. I had to laugh. I wonder if the judge will laugh after Sony made solemn declarations about how that key harmed Sony and that the defendant had to make things right again… Chuckle. It is so cool to see corporate bullies hoisted on their own petard.

15 Responses to Sometimes We Just Need To Laugh

1. oldman says:

“So What exactly IS your point?”

Mr. Chapman.

Are you capable of a straight answer?

2. Richard Chapman says:

“Fair enough. So What exactly IS your point?”

So What exactly IS your point?

3. oldman says:

“I’m not attacking you “oldman”. But I understand that’s all it looks like to you.”

Fair enough. So What exactly IS your point?

4. Richard Chapman says:

5. oldman says:

“Why? Because of what it exposes in you. I wont say what that is. You wouldn’t see it anyway, otherwise you wouldn’t have launched into your attack on Robert. If you want an explanation, look at the space between any two words in this paragraph.”

I could care less what think you you see Mr. Chapman. IF you have something to contribute in this discussion, beyond an attack on me, please feel free to do so.

6. Ray says:

Oh well, it’s just another case of jailbreaking something else.

7. Richard Chapman says:

oldman-

I think you need to try a little harder to make Robert out to be a pirate or thief or someone who thinks all that is a good idea. Why? Because of what it exposes in you. I wont say what that is. You wouldn’t see it anyway, otherwise you wouldn’t have launched into your attack on Robert. If you want an explanation, look at the space between any two words in this paragraph.

“Interesting, can you provide a URL to some proof of this contention?” Are you really that uninformed?

8. oldman says:

“That’s like a supplier of motherboards providing a Flash BIOS update that cleansed the system of your favourite OS or made installation of your favourite OS impossible. Sony’s action is of questionable legality and is being reviewed by several governments.”

The question of the legality of Sony’s actions is ultimately in the hands of the courts, and any opinions that you or I might have are just that – Opinion.

This having been said, Sony’s position seems perfectly reasonable to me. If are a PS3 owner and you wish to access their On line content, you have to comply with their terms, which involves giving up your Other OS install. If you don’t want to give up the Other OS install, you simply don’t upgrade, but you then lose access to the on-line content.

The problem with the PS3 is that its primary function as sold is as a game console. It is NOT being sold as a personal computer, and I doubt that SOny really wants to support it as a desktop computer. The fact that Sony allowed the install of an other OS previously MAY be a mitigating factor, but I suspect that this will be the case only it can be be proved in a court of law that Sony gave the function with no strings attached.

Even then, there is absolutely NO excuse for what this hacker did, and as far as I am concerned he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

9. see http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/
    “The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.”

10. oldman says:

“The fact that some will use the key to make illegal copies of games etc. is another matter.”

The courts apparently don’t see it that way, and I for would like to see this joker get it butt nailed to the wall legally for propagating that key.

11. oldman says:

“This is not about illegal copying of software. Sony sold the PlayStation with the capability of running GNU/Linux and then, after the product was in the hands of users, Sony sent an update which blocked that capability”

Interesting, can you provide a URL to some proof of this contention?

12. This is not about illegal copying of software. Sony sold the PlayStation with the capability of running GNU/Linux and then, after the product was in the hands of users, Sony sent an update which blocked that capability. Hotz figured out how to liberate the PlayStation again. The fact that some will use the key to make illegal copies of games etc. is another matter. Hotz is not involved with that. That an agent of Sony had a hand in publicizing the key is amusing to me. Sony should have a hard time in court asking the judge to force Hotz to undo what Sony has done.

People built supercomputers running GNU/Linux on the PS3. Does Sony have the right to shut them down? see http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2009/11/sony-still-subsidizing-us-supercomputer-efforts.ars

13. oldman says:

“It is so cool to see corporate bullies hoisted on their own petard.”

So we condone piracy now do we Pog?

14. Richard Chapman says:

These are the people who are supposed to understand tech? Maybe keyboards should come with keys, like cars. You don’t get one unless you pass the test… and you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

15. Ray says:

Until it actually happens. Then it’s hailarious.