Release of Android 3 Tomorrow

Android 3 is having a coming-out party tomorrow. Having achieved 22% share of tablet PCs with Android 2, a smart phone release, Android’s share should go critical with the availability of Android 3. Several manufacturers have delayed releasing new product until Android 3 was final and one has released new product with 2 with an upgrade to 3 promised.

That other OS cannot match this performance, releasing three releases developed in a year

Whether you call 2011 The Year of ARM or The Year of Android, this will be a remarkable change in how IT is done globally. There is something in the market for everyone and everyone has a choice, doing things the old way or doing things a better way. I like small cheap computers using GNU/Linux. Others like small expensive computers using GNU/Linux or large expensive computers using that other OS. It is good to have choice. By the end of 2011, I expect the crater made by Android and ARM to have widely penetrated all form-factors of IT. ARM is already shipping more units per quarter than Wintel is shipping. The only question remains is to sort them out. CE will hold a few places but few enjoy really old software.

UPDATE ARM is looking at taking a real share of servers and desktops in the next few years. see TheRegister.

Servers are expected to grow in units shipped and desktops are expected to stabilize at ~150 million units per annum. With the move to thin clients and cloud computing there will be a need for ARM’s price, efficiency, and small size in those spaces. ARM has hundreds of licensees and a bunch of them are aiming to crank out servers and desktops.

9 Responses to Release of Android 3 Tomorrow

1. ray says:

whoops, wrong person

2. ray says:

You forgot Musescore Pog.

3. oldman says:

“Charging a lot of money for a licence does not make better software. ”

But being able to benefit from ones investments in time and energy in creating software does seem to have resulted in more capable and functional software, if only because the creator was chasing the money of those consuming the sofware.

For example, commercial competition in the area of music engraving software has resulted in no less than 3 major packages (Finale, Sibelius, Notion) that can not only do professional quality music engraving, but which can play back the resulting music with “human” inflections with realistic sounding instruments in a realistic sounding “stage”

In comparison FOSS has produced only one music engraving system Lilypond, which is little more than a score rendering engine with a markup language front end. Lillyponds creators are quite adamant about he fact that they are only interested in producing a good engraving engine – this is all that anyone should need! One would think that shorn of the need to chase a market, their engine would be flawless. However a quick check of forums shows that it is just as prone to bugs and issues as the “bloated” commercial packages they sneer at.

Given the choice between using this free piece of FOSS that does not meet my needs, and paying for the piece of commercial software that does meet my needs, I chose the commercial software paid my cash and my needs were met.

And so would anyone else who is not wedded to idealogy Pog.

4. oldman wrote:”FOSS does not and as far as I can see can not deliver the function”

Stored programme computers can do anything regardless of the licensing regime. If you change the software within they do something else. Non-free software brought the changes from Office 2003 to Office 2007. I don’t know anyone who thinks that was a move to better software. OTOH I know many people who like OpenOffice.org because the UI is similar to Office 2003. These changes/differences have nothing to do with licensing but about the whims/goals of the creators. Charging a lot of money for a licence does not make better software. It could supply funds to develop better software or the money could be spent foolishly as M$ does, chucking good people while keeping dead wood and rewriting software to be worse than what it replaces.

5. oldman says:

“It’s all in attitude. I used to think that I needed my parents for all my needs. Now I know differently. I used to use M$’s stuff. Now I do not.”

Your inuendo that I and others are somehow children because we dont wish to use software that we can demonstrate can not meet our needs is insulting and unfair. I do not expect you to understand this though, because you are wedded to the idealogy of FOSS. That FOSS meets your needs is granted, and irrelevant to the point that I was making. This is not about you Pog, but about a large group of computer users for which FOSS and the platform that you would have us run it on are simply inadequate for our needs.

You can talk all you want about the power of floss, But no amount of proselytizing will change that for certain classes of software, the function that WE utilize and would wish to continue to utilize on is not there.

IN the End, I am empowered by software not ideologies. FOSS does not and as far as I can see can not deliver the function that I am used to the the commercial desktop packages I use, And the Linux desktop does not support the software that I wish to run.

end of story.

6. ARM boxes make great thin clients. You can access any kind of system from them: cloud, web, MacOS, GNU/Linux, UNIX and that other OS. The last option I find pointless because I can do more than enough with a PC running GNU/Linux. In ten years I have never felt denied. Indeed I have felt empowered by FLOSS. It’s all in attitude. I used to think that I needed my parents for all my needs. Now I know differently. I used to use M$’s stuff. Now I do not.

7. oldman says:

“Perhaps it is the decade of ARM.”

Yes, I suspect that ARM will continue do well on embedded systems, smart phones and tablets where the android OS and iOS will allow a market to blossom.

Beyond that….meh.

You make a big deal of choice. the choice is not really all that good if it is a choice between systems that allow all possibilities and systems that are limited to FOSS, even if the computer costs $50.00.

8. Some things take longer than a year. ARM has been doing very well for more than a decade. The entry into personal computing took off in 2010. I expect it will continue for years to come. Perhaps it is the decade of ARM.

9. Ray says:

Ummm… you said that 2010 was the Year of the ARM.