Intelligence Report On Solo EV

“The staff at DoubleTree did a great job of giving me an orientation on the operation of the vehicle, and the travel range of the car (160km on a full charge) was perfect for my travel between downtown Victoria and Nanaimo – I arrived with 30% charge to spare, and I was NOT light on the go pedal – getting the car up to 130km/hr on several passing occasions. While the Solo won’t win any drag races, 0-60km/hr in 8 seconds was more than enough to keep up with traffic both in town and on the highway.”
 
See Rent DoubleTree’s 2018 Electra Meccanica Solo in Victoria, BC
Since I can’t/won’t travel to Vancouver to test the Solo EV, I have to glean data wherever I can find it. Today I found a report from a guy who rented a Solo for highway travel on Vancouver Island. Driving 110km/h he covered 111km from Victoria to Nanaimo and had 30% charge remaining. I can do the maths:

  • 30% remaining means 70% was used.
  • 111km/70% is 1.58 km/%.
  • ergo, 100% range would be 158km, right on spec…

Google Maps shows the trip takes 1h27m, 1.2758 km/minute, 76.5 km/h average speed. While some stretches may be 110km/h, much is residential/commercial and slower. I found a maximum of 90km/h using Google Maps along Island Highway but some places do have higher limits. So, Robert Pogson tootling along at 70km/h on the fast parts should easily get well over 160km range because the air-drag is 40% at the lower speed (70, not 110, and 60% of drag at 90km/h). I love it! If I win the lottery I will travel to Victoria to rent me a Solo EV.

About Robert Pogson

I am a retired teacher in Canada. I taught in the subject areas where I have worked for almost forty years: maths, physics, chemistry and computers. I love hunting, fishing, picking berries and mushrooms, too.
This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.