Remington etc. On Shaky Ground

“Remington Outdoor Brands has filed for bankruptcy.The bankruptcy filing allows Remington to stay in business while restructuring its massive debt. The company has been planning to reduce its debt by $700 million through the Chapter 11 process and contribute $145 million to its subsidiaries.”

See Remington, one of America’s oldest gun makers, files for bankruptcy
I may have dodged a bullet when I bought my Buffalo Classic which became a Marlin 1895. Both were made by Remington and they’ve had a lot of trouble with quality and now Trumpism. Under Obama, shooters feared supplies of all kinds of shooting equipment being restricted so they stocked up… Seriously, there were whole years when some powder and bullets of kinds I use could not be found anywhere. Governments bought up millions of rounds and shooters bought up the rest every time retailers got stock. Shipments of powder and bullets often took as little as three days to sell and months to replace. Prices of bullets and powder doubled. Prices of firearms rose dramatically. Now, Remington can’t give away rifles and shotguns.

I guess Chapter 11 Bankruptcy could work. Remington will shed workers and plants and equipment they don’t need and cut expenses way back until the market settles down. The mid-term election of 2018 could be a signal that gun-control is no longer a gleam in certain politicians’ eyes but almost a certainty. People are just sick of crazies shooting up the place and ordinary decent firearms owners and users are going to be caught in the crossfire. I plan to restock if prices fall in response to oversupply and low demand. I plan on shooting deer with smaller calibres and lighter loads of powder whenever possible. In reality it won’t worry me much longer. I’m just teetering on the edge of my grave. My grand kids may have a harder time hunting and shooting.

This entry was posted in firearms, politics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Remington etc. On Shaky Ground

Remington I know this is 2014 but this issue with triggers did badly effect Remingtons sales. Does not matter the craftmanship if people are wondering if the gun has a bad trigger or not.

2. ram says:

Remington used to make really fine rifles. All sporting and target firearms. The craftsmenship was superb. So sad to see them go bankrupt.

3. Ivan says:

Having lived with “equity management” firms signing my paycheck, I can firmly state: potayto – potahto.

4. kurkosdr says:

Cerberus is not a vulture capital firm but an “equity management” firm. Equity management is where you go after you have been through VCs, IPO/stake offer, rise and fall as a result of bad bets.

5. Ivan says:

Um… Remington worked extra hard to earn the Rustington moniker to Make America Great Again? It is clearly not the result of being purchased by the vulture-capitalist firm, Cerberus Capital Management, that cut QA as part of it’s plan of increasing revenue by reducing costs.

I’m with Grece on this one … which is an increasingly strange, yet wonderful, thing.

Where, exactly, does Donald Trump fit into this narrative?

Are you off your meds yet again?

7. Grece wrote, “you barely use up 50 cartridges a year in target practice”.

Well, I don’t shoot as much as I used to, mostly because I pick up the same old rifle and shoot the target right where I need to year after year. There’s not much need to waste ammunition. When I work up a new load or try out a new rifle as I did on the last outing I do shoot a lot, about 20 rounds of .45-70 as I recall. My hunting buddy complained of the recoil…

I do have some problem with my right eye. It’s just not as sharp as it used to be. I guess I need to visit my ophthalmologist. Maybe I will start shooting left handed. I guess that’s why we have two eyes.

8. Grece wrote, “How many pounds or kilos do you use to define a “crisp” trigger pull?”

Numbskulls confuse “crisp” with “light” as opposed to “heavy”. My Marlin trigger breaks cleanly with the same pressure and travel every time. That’s crisp, you know, like celery snapping. It’s not mushy like wet noodle. It has nothing to do with weight. For hunting a firm weight is desirable to prevent accidental discharge. Accuracy is just fine too. My Remington 788s shoot sub-MOA decade in and decade out. The trigger is still crisp.

9. Grece says:

AGREED. Remington Firearms are crap now anyways. They really screwed over MagPul on the Masada rifle though.

10. Ivan says:

Who cares? Debt restructuring doesn’t make their guns worth purchasing.

11. Grece says:

Crisp Robert? What is your definition of crisp.

How many pounds or kilos do you use to define a “crisp” trigger pull? Please give us a set of variables.

12. Grece says:

A few? What 5-6 shots a year??

Seriously, you don’t even shoot when you go hunting, someone else pulls the trigger and you barely use up 50 cartridges a year in target practice.

13. Grece wrote, “thousands of bad customer experiences with Remington’s MBA-designed trigger assemblies, in its flagship model 700 rifles”

I’ve used a few Rem triggers. No problems. 700 & 788 were crisp. Marlin & Buffalo Classic & 1100 too.

14. Grece says:

Robert, not sure where you are going with this in blaming Trump, but you failed to mention the thousands of bad customer experiences with Remington’s MBA-designed trigger assemblies, in its flagship model 700 rifles and model 870 shotguns.

15. Grece says:

Excuse me for asking Robert, but how precisely does Trump equate into Remington filing for bankruptcy?

Seriously, you are full of crap. At no time could I NOT buy ammunition or ammunition components during the Obama presidency. Perhaps in Canada it was that way, but your country sucks to begin with, cuck beta-male Trudeau is seeing to that!