Truth, Damned Truth And Statistics

Trump’s term began with a controversy where he claimed the largest crowd ever… That was not the truth. His crowd was way smaller than Obama’s, way smaller than the march of the women and way smaller than the march of the students who are mad as Hell about being shot up in schools. The only thing that dwarfs these real crowds is Trump’s egomania. While these millions march, Trump plays golf. Where’s the leadership? Where’s the great management he promised? Where’s the man? He’s AWOL, slurping at the public trough.

This entry was posted in politics and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Truth, Damned Truth And Statistics

Good to know that Robert has no answer to this one.

It just occurred to me, I started using Linux way before you did Robert…

It just occurred to me, Grece, that the same is true of practically every last one of us. I’m a proud member of the “download Slackware on 19 floppies” club. Well, I was young and naive, and what can I say? I wanted to see how it measured up to FreeBSD.

(The answer, btw, is “not very well. Not very well at all.” FreeBSD ran straight out of the box, installed via the novel medium called “compact disks,” and the Ports system worked like a dream. I was never even able to get Slackware to boot.)

Back in 1999, I had an AMD system (the purity! the purity!) that I somehow managed to cram Windows 98, BeOS, OS/2 Warp, Solaris Desktop and some flavor of Linux, I think it might have been Red Hat, on to. Four of them worked like a dream. Guess which one was a pig wearing lipstick? Well, maybe that was the fault of Grub2, you know, that insidious little bootloader foisted on us all by, er, Microsoft, I’m sure it was Microsoft, maybe it was BeOs, it couldn’t possibly have been, er, could it?

tl;dr. We’ve all been using Linux for longer than Robert has. Several of us, including me, have actually forged a minor career by actually programming (you know, “programming, as in paid”) on the thing.

It’s amusing to watch Robert claim this level of expertise on a matter that he demonstrably lacks expertise, relative to his readers. But he’s never going to stop, because there seems to be a Sixth Law of Thermodynamics that somehow predicts that an enormous gas-bag doesn’t have to recognise the sorry state of its own entropy.

3. Ivan says:

UNRAID is really popular these days.

That requires using linux in an area where it really isn’t the greatest, though. FreeNAS doesn’t have that problem and hyping anything BSD tends to annoy Bob, especially when it is better suited to the task.

4. Grece says:

Because I can pick up an entire NAS for the cost of that motherboard you were hyperventilating about in an earlier rant.

You could build a larger NAS yourself, and for less money. UNRAID is really popular these days.

5. Grece says:

Tell me Robert, what do these marches ever accomplish?

6. Ivan says:

why would anyone use Intel in a NAS?

7. Grece says:

Actually your numbers are way off Robert, do pay more attention.

Intel NAS shows 24M hits.
    NAS Arm shows 32.5M hits. (btw your text and hyperlink, doesn’t match)

So what does this convey exactly? Not a damn thing!

Robert your SEO ignorance is truly showing here. What the search results found number really means is how many mentions of that keyword they have in their database. Not how many results have been cultivated for your personal use from the search engine.

Silly senile old man!

8. Grece says:

My first use of GNU/Linux in 2001

It just occurred to me, I started using Linux way before you did Robert. In fact, it was in the summer of 1996, where Netscape was loud and proud along with Netware intranets. I fondly remember being the little nefarious hacker on campus, along with running a betting pool for Quake LAN parties. It was the Math lab, Physics lab and Computer Science labs all battling it out!

A few years later, I built a few SMB servers out of some G3 Proliants running RH 7.1 which ran for years until the power supplies died. These were supplanted with Dell hardware running the same version of RH. Eventually, I replaced that with a SBS server then a full 42U rack with SAS drives, Citrix and VMware software.

So you experience has been what exactly? Teaching indigenous children of drunks, how to use something that they will never use in their lifetime?

Repeating a lie doesn’t make it come true.

One wonders, therefore, why you persist with this miserable excuse for a website, Robert.

Because “repeating a lie” is practically the only thing you ever do.

Year of Linux Desktop!

Well now, you senile old man, that is a spectacular little find, isn’t it?

I presume you will now lecture us on the statistical relevance of one Big Data dive as against another Big Data dive.

Do I need to pass the clue-bat on this one? I probably do. But in all honesty, Pogson, your conclusion here is so contemptibly inadequate that I can’t even be bothered.

11. Grece wrote, “statistics show that there isn’t much interest in ARM for home server use”.

Let’s see… “intel NAS” finds 22 million hits while “ARM NAS” finds 43million hits. For something utilitarian which is not needing to run any particular software related to Intel, why would anyone use Intel in a NAS? I think the same would go for small routers or print-servers.

12. Grece wrote, “you are NEVER going to receive your SOLO”.

Repeating a lie doesn’t make it come true. EMV has proved it can make Solos and they perform well enough to meet my needs so it will happen, probably this year.

13. Grece says:

The truth is Robert, you are NEVER going to receive your SOLO. Additionally, statistics show that there isn’t much interest in ARM for home server use. Everyone just buys Intel and goes about their lives, instead of whining about some fantasy WINTEL monopoly.