First Impressions Of The Marlin 1895

I’ve never liked lever action rifles. The most common types have a rear locking lug on the bolt which is lifted up by the lever. There are way more moving parts and more room for slop than my favourite action, the bolt action. I chose a H&R Buffalo Classic as my .45-70 rifle, a decent single-shot rifle. Unfortunately, Remington really messed up when they acquired H&R and they stopped making the Buffalo Classic. Mine would not even lock up properly and Remington stated they could not repair it. Thus, I was given a Marlin 1895 as a substitute. Remington had acquired Marlin and similarly messed up but apparently fixed the problems.

In appearance my Marlin is just about perfect. I saw no flaws at all in the fit and finish. Yesterday we gave it a further test, firing a variety of rounds that I created behind the Berry’s Bullets 350 RSFP. The Marlin would not seat these bullets out very far so I used a Length Over All of just 2.514 inches, much less than the SAAMI spec of 2.550 inches. That’s of no account for this bullet which is recommended for use at 1700 ft/s or less. I picked several loads from various reloading manuals and interpolated somewhat where necessary. These are the loads we tested:

Powder Charge (grains) Notes
Unique 15-18 All were pleasant to shoot and grouped well at 25 yards
IMR4227 37 Also decent with a bit more recoil than the Unique
H4198 39.5 The most recoil by far

For all combinations, the bullets held together and were stable in flight with no keyholing. We crimped none of them and observed no movement of the bullets in the magazine. Charges burned cleanly with very little smoke and no visible residue left in the barrel. We also did penetration testing. Even though these bullets are not recommended for hunting we found they will penetrate 4 inches of green poplar with some expansion. We had to put the rear sight up to its maximum height to zero at 25 yards and impact was a foot low at 100 yards even with the H4198 load. My eyes didn’t work well at all with the iron sights so I will be putting a scope on this rifle. Our rounds fed singly and from the magazine and ejected easily from the rifle.

Despite firing ~20 rounds some with stout recoil very little pain was suffered and no bruising. The recoil pad is thin and firm, not squishy at all. The trigger was very crisp and not too heavy. The lever worked smoothly. We did find that loading the last round into the magazine through the slot was difficult. Fingers or gloves like to get caught pushing the last round far enough up for the gate to close. I suppose we can get used to it but for hunting, I may just use this rifle as a single-shot. If one of these rocks won’t stop a deer nothing will.

This rifle has multiple safeties:

1. half-cock on the hammer,
  2. cross-bolt safety blocking the hammer,
  3. two piece firing pin not lined up until the lug engages the bolt, and
  4. a trigger disconnect on the lever.

The sights and the feeding gate were the only difficulties we encountered. I think this rifle will be a great deer/bear rifle in the bush. Even though I will miss the 32 inch barrel of the Buffalo Classic this rifle will have enough range and power for the shooting I will do. We will develop a stiffer load using a strong jacketed bullet for shooting to about 250 yards.

This entry was posted in firearms, technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to First Impressions Of The Marlin 1895

Grece please read that again. Work out that hunting is an occupational usage. So Robert could get a gun-license for a concealed weapon to take with him while hunting as a back up weapon but he would have to justify need. Like solo hunting without any near by backup.

Lawful occupational purpose does not say it has to be paid work. Just that is a lawful occupation you are need it for. Please note not want but need. So retired status totally does not come into the assessment.

I know of people who have go fishing in Canada from sea kayak for recreational fishing who hold a concealed weapon for protection against bears and the like.

Grece you got into personal insulted because you cannot read government regulation to save yourself.

2. Grece says:

I wouldn’t likely….Just ask…rabbits etc that I’ve killed over my lifetime.

Yep. Dementia is slowly creeping up on the senile old goat.

3. Grece says:

Joe-Peon, it isn’t harassment. Since when is asking questions indicative of harassment?

Obviously your another idiot that thinks they are going to receive a Solo as well.

Jerry’s Motors has bright future..I am excited to buy sexy car.

4. Grece wrote, “Why are you allegedly hunting rabbits with a .45-70 Robert? That’s totally overkill and wasting of meat.”

I wouldn’t likely. I normally use .22 RF or a shotgun. With .22 RF, I can easily shoot them in the head. I don’t eat that. That’s a requirement for grouse. While we old timers have a $free licence for grouse, we may not use centre-fire or muzzle-loading rifles on grouse. That’s in Manitoba, anyway.

5. joepeatf says:

Greasy Armpit why do you harrass Robert Pogson. Man teenagers get a life please

6. Grece says:

Why are you allegedly hunting rabbits with a .45-70 Robert? That’s totally overkill and wasting of meat. You are NO hunter Robert, you are a sadistic old-man that inflicts cruel and unnecessary pain on animals.

7. Grece says:

Hold up, first you state “I have a licence to carry a firearm” then you state “No, but I don’t need one” I can see already you are suffering from dementia / alzheimer disease Robert.

8. Grece wrote, “Actually you do not have a license to carry a handgun Robert.”

No, but I don’t need one and a .45-70 is way more effective. I can approach 4000 ft-lb at the muzzle and deliver with accuracy to 250 yards or so. Just ask the deer, rabbits etc that I’ve killed over my lifetime. Oh, you can’t. They are dead. I have fired several pistols and they are just about useless in comparison.

9. Deaf Spy says:

Being an impassive foreign observer, I have to agree. It is astounding how Liberals / Dems absolutely refuse to subject themselves to criticism. The liberals keep their haughty attitude towards the “deplorable” – it is so obvious that liberals consider all other people deplorable, poor and inadequate. Celebrities are so hypocritical in their messages, that common people can’t help but feel disgusted. While jobs are going up, celebrities mock at people who get lower salaries, and dems like Nancy Pelosi further insults people.

Robert, I don’t see how Dems will win next elections.

10. Ivan says:

I think the disapproving people are way more likely to vote

The Limousine Liberals are acting in the same entitled fashion they did before the 2004 election. Trump will be re-elected and they’ll deflect and blame anything but themselves and their policies for the loss.

11. Grece says:

Actually you do not have a license to carry a handgun Robert.

Section 90 of the Criminal Code prohibits carrying a concealed weapon unless authorized for a lawful occupational purpose.

What occupation allegedly in, being a retired person and all?

12. Grece says:

Polls suggest ~38%

Which poll is that?

13. Grece wrote, “Canadians can’t even carry a firearm like we Americans can. So how can you say that people trust their lives with you Robert?”

I have a licence to carry a firearm. I have a licence to hunt with it. I can freely buy firearms and ammunition. I am a government-approved person.

The reason I haven’t shot a deer in the last few years is that the extended family only needs one deer a year so the young guys who are willing to go out in any weather have more opportunity. That’s changing a bit. Last year we hunted about a week to get a deer. This season it was two days. I did have an opportunity but could not identify the antlers against the background. I’ll get a scope on this Marlin and that won’t be a problem next time.

14. Grece wrote, “Americans are colluding with each other to get Trump reelected”.

Facts not in evidence. Polls suggest ~38% of USAians approve of the job Trump is doing. It takes what, 42% or better to be elected in USA, eh? Considering that Trump has angered a lot of people I think the disapproving people are way more likely to vote. That leaves Trump on a melting iceberg just like the poor polar bears he is trying to kill by promoting carbon-based fuels.

15. Grece says:

BTW: Americans are colluding with each other to get Trump reelected. Pass it on!

16. Grece says:

People who know me trust their lives to me when I’m shooting.

Trust? Since when are you the purveyor of justice in the The Great White North? Canadians can’t even carry a firearm like we Americans can. So how can you say that people trust their lives with you Robert? You can’t even shoot a deer, someone else must do it for you!

17. Grece wrote, “you should think about giving up all your guns for the common good”.

Mostly done. The next generation can take care of them. I still shoot when I can and do well enough to be useful. I certainly know how to aim and fire in a safe manner and I make most of our ammunition. All of the recipes I tested worked pretty well yesterday. I did forget to test one but then we both had shot plenty, 23 rounds judging by the empties I’m preparing to reload. People who know me trust their lives to me when I’m shooting. I expect they are a better judge of my abilities than some nitwit out on the web.

18. Grece says:

Seriously Robert, in your accelerated age, you should think about giving up all your guns for the common good.