Waiting for Spring

Well, we got a glancing blow from a “Colorado low” today and it dumped about a foot of wet snow on us. Today, the temperature was around melting when the storm was gone except for some wind and I fired up the old snowblower. Promptly the snow chute fell off… That’s the second time a plastic collar that holds the chute onto the machine cracked in the cold and vibration. I could replace it for less than $50 but then it occurred to me that the snowblower is about 25 years old and owes me nothing. It has done a decent job except in very deep or hard-packed or wet snow. If I fix the chute again, what will fail next? I might be investing in scrap iron. I know the engine is still worth keeping but the rest could be scrapped without shedding a tear.

Since it’s end of season, I might be able to find a new one at a good price. Something more to buy. Now, I was able to clear the driveway by letting the blower throw snow skyward and the wind took it away and this may be the last snowstorm of the season. Dare I wait until next year to buy a new snowblower? As Trump would say, “We’ll see…”.

This entry was posted in technology, weather and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Waiting for Spring

1. DrLoser wrote, “Get down on your knees and pray, Brotha! Because without Faith, Nothing is Possible!”

Someone must have prayed because Jerry Kroll’s presentation was pretty rough in the Dragons’ Den but he still got an offer of $25million for 40% share “after due diligence”. We still don’t know how that worked out but it’s pretty damned close to a miracle if you ask me. Jerry ticked off several Dragons and still got an offer. Amazing. Stupendous. Surprising. Shocking. Maybe there is a God who interferes in the affairs of mankind…

Robert makes a mockery of the professional title, “engineer”. He is far from being an “electrical engineer” and more than likely a piss-poor “nuclear engineer”, hence the gig teaching computers to students in Nunavut.

Drivel, Grece, drivel.

Robert, at no time, “taught” “computers” to “students.”

What he actually did was to explain, possibly with 8×10 color glossy pictures, how to clean fluff out of the broken fans of broken motherboards. And he’s proud of doing this. I recall that he claims, as an achievement, that the school principal was brought in to watch twenty five or so Nunavut students separately use toothpicks, ear probes, and implements of non-destruction, to clean the fluff out of twenty five fans on twenty five dying computers. (I don’t recall Alice giving them a Thanksgiving meal that couldn’t be beat, though. Possibly that was the second verse.)

Of course, these days, you’d just buy a newer model that works.

And in 1820 or so, you’d have paid a single Nunavuti to spend a day swabbing away at all twenty five fans.

But, you know, Pogson Not especially in touch with reality. But, forty years on , and still consistently not in touch with reality!

That has to count for something.

\

Jerry mentioned that EMV has a second factory going with expected production of 5000 Solos in the coming year. It’s about time. He expects my Solo to be delivered in 2018. So do I.

How nice of you not to pick a date for over and under. And how exquisite and appropriate to your intellectually-challenged life that you accidentally came up with one, despite strident and weaselly efforts not to do so.

Fair enough, Robert.

December 31st, 2018, it is.

4. Grece says:

delusions of grandeur

5. Grece wrote, “little actual progress to update”.

6. CBC has a preview of EMV’s pitch to the Dragons’ Den. It doesn’t look good. Jerry seemed to really annoy a couple of dragons. That’s a mistake in my book. See http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/previews/episode-17-season-12

7. Grece says:

Regarding the CEO updates, EMV’s scheduled CEO updates have been going on for some time now and have turned into CEO ramblings with little actual progress to update. It’s likely one of the reasons for the growing number of reservationist cancellations. It would be far better to schedule an update when there is actual tangible news to share.

8. DrLoser wrote, “Q1 has been and gone. “Never” seems like a reasonable guess”.

Uh, no. I still have a couple of weeks for some good news, perhaps even this evening with the monthly “CEO Update”… Then, tomorrow, there’s an episode of Dragons’ Den which may announce a flood of investment and perhaps a tweaking of management. The party might be at my place this weekend.

9. Grece says:

One too many wheels, Grece. Robert is on record as insisting that he won’t pay for extras.

That luggage space? An expensive extra. Proven reliability? Robert can weld and is the next best thing to an electrical engineer. He can sort problems out, for free.

A network of dealerships and repair shops? Pointless luxury.

Far better to invest twice as much in an unproven product built out of shoddy Chinese COTS that rolls off the production line on a haphazard basis every other week … assuming that the tricycle has had its wheels tracked properly, because otherwise it wouldn’t so much roll off as flop sideways.

And if all else fails, Robert can always stand twenty five feet away, adjust his bifocals, and shoot the darned thing in its guts with a blunderbuss that would have shamed an 1863 Confederate soldier.

What’s not to admire about all this?

11. Grece says:

Here you go Robert: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/winnipeg/toyota-prius-2009/1337041127

Its within your price range too!

12. wizard emiritus says:

Robert Pogson’s real problem is that he finds it easier to come up with excuses not to spend money than to spend it.

Otherwise he could have had an electric vehicle long ago.

I don’t have piles of snow nor tire-tracks off the driveway. I do have a well-worn snowblower however.

For “well-worn,” read “broken.” Much like everything else in your notional locker of high or low tech. It’s either broken or unobtainable.

Well, at least you don’t own a broken Solo. You want to put a specific under-and-over date on when you expect it to be delivered?

Q1 has been and gone. “Never” seems like a reasonable guess, but that’s not what “over-and-unders” are all about.

Not this year, Robert. Not a chance. Your present estimate?

14. Grece wrote, “Doesn’t want piles of snow, no tire marks on ground. My Robert, your tall order is a mythical unicorn, just like all the other things mention.”

15. Grece says:

Coincidentally Robert, how is that SOLO coming along? Q1 2018 end is approaching and not one unit has shipped this year. No progress like congress, eh?

16. Grece wrote, “That’s because you have no clue how to use a tractor and blade Robert.”

Two things:

• You have to put the snow somewhere. I don’t want piles or windrows.
    • I don’t want wheels working up my newly seeded lawn.

Snowblowers work for me except when they don’t. This snowblower has done a good job all these years except for the occasional drift. Nature helps out with some wind to distribute the snow all over instead of where it attracts more drifts.

In my neighbourhood are two tractors. One makes a mess of a driveway annually. The other guy has a bucket and blade but uses a snowblower.

17. Grece says:

That’s because you have no clue how to use a tractor and blade Robert.

18. Grece wrote, “You know, a simple tractor and blade would work wonders on your measly driveway.”

No, it wouldn’t. That would mess up my yard and create more drifts, like TLW’s berms.

19. Grece says: