Go Electric, Canada!

“While Canada hasn’t adopted electric cars as quickly as some (see our report from December here), we sped up respectably in 2017. The latest data from FleetCarma finds that 68% more electric cars were sold last year than in 2016.”

See 2017 Canadian EV sales revealed
EVs are still the tip of an iceberg in Canada but with growth found in 2017, it won’t be long until EVs cover the land. I already drive an hybrid EV but 2018 should be the year I buy an all-electric EV, the Solo, built in Vancouver. It’s specifically a commuter car but I will use it for errands and quite a bit of highway driving in my retirement. The money I will save in not buying a larger EV will be invested in a solar charging station so my lower cost of ownership and convenient charging will easily pay for the car in a few years.

Others have many reasons to go electric: lower costs of energy per unit distance, governmental subsidies, convenient charging at home/work instead of trips to fuelling stations, less maintenance, less heat and stench, and zero CO2 emissions. Where I live I may not get a subsidy but I like all the other benefits. Canadians, it’s time to go electric. You’ll know when you give it a try or a thought. It’s a new way of thinking and doing personal transportation. It works.

This entry was posted in politics, technology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Go Electric, Canada!

1. kurkosdr wrote, “It will take decades for your Solo to arrive and no fantasizing about imaginary production ramp ups will change that.”

According to EMV, certification is nearly complete. Dragons’ Den March 8 will reveal whether they get an influx of capital from that source. I don’t need to imagine production is ramping up. It’s happening one way or another. Once certification is done, the plant in Richmond, BC can easily crank out several Solos daily. They have all the resources to do that. It’s still unknown whether expansion to dozens per day will happen. That will take some capital. If they get that, I’m laughing. As a backup plan, I still think it’s feasible to pack a bunch of Solos in shipping containers in China. I would not hesitate to buy one made in China but the plan is to make Solos in North America. I expect Solos will be made everywhere they are needed.

2. kurkosdr says:

I don’t intend to sell my Solo.

Your what, you senile old man? Did you just miss the part that only 20 Solos have rolled of the production line? How does this go along with you being customer #800 or something? It will take decades for your Solo to arrive and no fantasizing about imaginary production ramp ups will change that.

3. DrLoser wrote, “even if you did, nobody in their right minds would buy it off you.”

That’s not relevant. I don’t intend to sell my Solo. I will die long before that would happen. I expect my descendants will sell my Solo or drive it. It’s useful to students, for instance or people doing errands or commuting. Even TLW might find it more fun to drive than the gas-guzzler. Sooner or later she will drive the gas-guzzler into the ground, wreck it or sell it. Once people start driving EVs they stick with EVs because they work better than gas-guzzlers.

4. Grece wrote, “Tesla is building 1052 Model 3’s a week, how pray-tell can Jerry compete?”

Well, the Chinese, Indians and USAians will help but Tesla and EMV are not competitors with Solo. Solo serves a different niche than Tesla. Tesla does not make a single-passenger vehicle. I, for instance, have no use for a Tesla because of price, weight, size, efficiency… Solo suits my purposes much better, except possibly in extremes of winter. Tesla is probably a better car for winter. I drive much less in winter, so that’s not a show-stopper. I could buy two Solos for the price of one Tesla. That would be much better for me as TLW and I could tootle about to the same destination or different destinations independently for less cost.

5. Grece says:

Tell you what Robert. I am willing to wager that I obtain a Tesla Model S before you ever step foot in a Solo, let alone obtain one.

Currently, Tesla is building 1052 Model 3’s a week, how pray-tell can Jerry compete?

Well, the factory keeps score on the wall and they are up to about 20 of which I expect 5 have gone to paying customers. The rest are being test-driven, put on show or touring or safety-testing.

After something like eighteen months? Five? Really? That’s awesomely encouraging, Robert.

Now, about this theoretical $20,000 capital investment. (It’s theoretical for two reasons. One, the wretched little tricycle would have to be available for you to buy in the first place. Which it isn’t. And two, you’re far too mean to shell out $20,000 anyway … this is just a pathetic little game you’re playing against yourself.)

Buy a second-hand Leaf (or Volt, or whatever) for said $20,000 today — and I assure you, these vehicles are available right now, and at just such a price — and, given depreciation, that vehicle will be worth $12,000 or so in five years.

In the unlikely event that you buy your wretched little tricycle — brand new, I should add, which is an odd choice for a miser who is surely aware that any vehicle loses $3000 in value the minute you drive it off the lot — I would estimate that, given depreciation, that vehicle will be worth something like $2,000 or so in five years. Purely as a curiosity.

You don’t seem to have factored this in, do you?

You won’t ever buy one, Robert. And even if you did, nobody in their right minds would buy it off you.

How’s the Chinese pretend tractorette doing, btw? Converted it to an all-electric power-train yet, or is it still sucking up that filthy diesel stuff you keep banging on about?

7. Grece says:

Interesting. My F250 is fifteen years oil and does not consume oil, maybe you mistreat your vehicles?

8. Grece wrote, “you left out depreciation and the expected battery replacement in five-years time.”

In my experience, belted motor systems such as used in Solo last 20 years, the battery has lasted 7 years in the Leafs and Solo’s battery is smaller and cheaper than a car’s ICE, and Solo has fewer brakes and wheels to go wrong so it costs much less than an ICE. Including such parts would be even more in Solo’s favour. The battery in Solo can probably be replaced for ~$1500. What does it cost to put a new engine in an ICEd car? It was several $thousands years ago. Mostly I’ve gotten rid of ICEd cars by then. Our present car is 10 years old and soon will need a new engine. It’s “using oil”. Here’s an advertised price of $17K CAD

9. Grece says:

Robert, really, you left out depreciation and the expected battery replacement in five-years time.

Additionally, you conveniently left out all the extra items that you stated you would have to install at home, namely, your dreaded solar array and a home-based 240V charger.

You are correct, after ten-years there would be no comparison, as the Solo would be a heaping pile of crap. Lets not forget that the wind-shield wiper motor has to be replaced every six-months. too.

10. Grece wrote, “How many Solo’s has Jerry shipped to date?”

11. kurkosdr wrote, “It’s expensive.”

It’s not. $20K + $100/annum for Hydro + $700 per annum insurance after five years comes to $24200. Others cost $price + $1500 per annum for fuel + $200 per annum for oil-changes +$1200 per annum for insurance or $price + who knows how much fluid filters and tightening of this that and the other, so $price + $14500. I can also get lots of charging for $free if I visit certain places… After 10 years there’s no comparison. Solo will have long ago paid for itself and maintenance of wheels and brakes and such will still be less (fewer wheels…). After 20 years, I will surely be dead and perhaps some struggling student descendent will want it. I plan to invest in solar charging so payback will be a bit longer but $free is great, I figure.

12. Grece says:

Q1 2018 is right around the corner Robert. How many Solo’s has Jerry shipped to date?

*CRICKETS*

13. kurkosdr says:

It’s expensive. Even your wretched little tricycle with an as-of-yet undetermined delivery date is expected to cost as much as a good new hatchback or a certified pre-owned BMW (which is what I would personally buy with the money).