HALLELUJAH! Firefox 57.0 Is Upon Us!

See Firefox — Notes (57.0) — MozillaI’ve used FireFox for ages. It was decent but had several annoyances, like huge memory usage and camouflaged tabs. I’m not kidding. If you are on the trail of some information on the web and have a bunch of tabs open, just try to figure out which tab is active and which is dormant… The indicator was that active one had slanting rounded edges, a feature that hid the tab for my eyes. If you want to hide something give it vague colours and shapes. That’s camouflage 101. In version 57, the tabs are sharp and square and the active tab has a thin blue bar above it, highlighting it. What an amazing improvement. Memory appears to be down and each “Web-content” has its own piece of RAM so I can kill what misbehaves. I love it!

Gasp! I don’t know if this is the promised land of browsing but it’s sure a sweet green valley.

PS – The first thing I did with 57 was write this post. That worked fine except my “Press” plugin would not close its window after selecting “Standard Editor”. Still the post is here… I guess WP will have to adjust. The browser does seem to be more responsive to my needs and wants. Huge pages like FaceBook load quickly and do not take control of my computer. I love it.

UPDATE – Slashdot has a good discussion post about the pros and cons. In amongst the naysayers there are some good tips about customizing the thing, like right-clicking on stuff and entering “customize” mode. I did that and was able to put the reload button back to the right of the address bar, where it belongs… 😉 They also mention an extension called uBlock Origin, which I might try out.

UPDATEThe “Press This” plugin for WP does not work with browsers as before. Now you have to browse to /wp-admin/press-this.php and copy and paste a URI. WP has also removed their “Press This” bookmarklet which I found very useful. This is very sad. I used that a lot. This is not specific to FF 57 but all browsers. This cloud may have a silver lining but rain is still falling.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to HALLELUJAH! Firefox 57.0 Is Upon Us!

1. Grece says:

All telecom traffic is recorded and stored at Camp Williams. Kicking Google from your computer won’t matter.

2. Frankie says:

Google is horrible spy company dominated by CIA, NSA and US Deep State. Kick Google as much as possible out of your computer.

3. Kurkosdr says:

There isn’t a simple solution to this problem.

There is. Block the crappy, battery-devouring, untrusted and unsolicited third party JavaScript ’till those sites learn to have ads which are pure png, or even better host the png ad banners themselves and be responsible for them. This will happen only if enough of us block their third-party JavaScript.

Anyways, if you are so concerned about website revenue there is always AdBlock Plus and its “acceptable ads” whitelist.

The only reason to not run either ublock origin or AdBlock Plus is if you are technologically clueless or like to use hacks like modifying the host file when a proper solution exists and then quit when your hack doesn’t work.

I could see that taxes funneled to private organizations is a bad idea no matter how funds are distributed.

Ads appear to be a necessary evil.
    Ads maybe be a necessary evil, third-party JavaScript is plain evil you should keep out of your PC if you are the slightest bit technologically adept. Now, if some sites choose to deliver ads via JavaScript, that’s their problem, I won’t see why my battery of CPU should take a beating because of it or why I should run untrusted JavaScript on my machine.

4. Grece says:

Which are those Robert? I never have any problems with sites not working.

Redirecting ads? You are complaining about ads, use a hosts file but think some ads are ok, you are a hypocrite.

Ad taxes, to use the internet? LOL..silly man.

Ads appear to be a necessary evil.

That has to be the dumbest thing you have ever said Robert!

I dont see ads at all, NONE! I use Chrome with Ublock Origin. A hosts file is useless these days, you are AGAIN behind the times.

I will add (pun), that I use a Domain Blocker with a Remove Redirects extensions. The only other thing I use is Social Fixer for Facebook.

5. Kurkosdr wrote, “I still don’t understand why Pog doesn’t use ublock origin and prefers to view annoying ads while allowing untrusted third parties to run arbitrary JavaScript on his computer though.”

I don’t like ads at all and JavaScript is a mortal sin, akin to coveting thy neighbour’s wife, or murdering. OTOH, several good sites that I visit depend on ads for operating revenue and some even refuse to work if ads are blocked. At one time I directed most ads to localhost but sites added timeouts before the damned JS would render the page…

There isn’t a simple solution to this problem. I could see every user of the Internet paying some kind of tax which could fund websites but there’s no reasonable way to distribute such funds. I certainly would not want every site to be behind a paywall either. Ads appear to be a necessary evil.

6. Grece says:

Firefox sucks.

I just don’t like a browser that’s always spying on me.

Spying Robert? Who is doing this alleged spying, and for what purpose?

7. Kurkosdr says:

Just to clarify, old Firefox was slow even without ads. The JavaScript the website itself had was enough to freeze the UI (which doesn’t happen with Chrome)

8. Kurkosdr says:

I had an experience like Pog’s on Windows too. Aka, “blocking” JavaScript that makes the entire UI of Firefox unresponsive. Switched to Chrome since then. Don’t want to spend the time to switch back to Firefox 57.

Even on Android I use Brave Browser to block those unwanted and untrusted JavaScript ads.

9. Deaf Spy wrote, “you don’t want to tell that Linux allows an app to consume so much resources at normal priority as to take control of your computer?!?”

No, the previous version I was using allowed the ad to take control of the browser. Since I was using the browser to control my computer I no longer had control of the computer the way I wanted. Stuff like 60s periods of unresponsiveness, stuff like that. It also wrought havoc from thin clients as various spinners were wanting hundreds of screen refreshes while waiting for numerous ads to load. Putting the web-content in separate processes should help me retain control of the browser. This is something that was rumoured to be coming months ago but it’s finally arrived in full.

10. Grece wrote, “Robert does not use Chrome as he thinks Google is a monopoly.”

Not true. I use Google’s search engine and mail all the time. I just don’t like a browser that’s always spying on me. I think it’s enough that Google knows for what I search. That helps give me relevant ads although they’ve failed recently and I see some ads in French. French is a language of which I have some familiarity but I am a danger to society using it. I will keep reporting the ads as inappropriate. Google doesn’t have a good method of feedback. I don’t seem to be able to tell them the language is wrong.

11. Grece says:

Robert does not use Chrome as he thinks Google is a monopoly.

12. Deaf Spy says:

Huge pages like FaceBook load quickly and do not take control of my computer.

Wait, you don’t want to tell that Linux allows an app to consume so much resources at normal priority as to take control of your computer?!?