On Not Being Stupid

“These hurricanes have not been caused by global warming, but their frequency and intensity have likely been magnified by climate change. Particularly calamitous hurricanes have their names retired, and in the last 20 years there have been about as many names retired as in the preceding 40 years. California has had more than 6,400 wildfires this year. The 17 hottest years on record have all taken place in the past two decades.”

See Stop being afraid of more government. It’s exactly what we need.

Missed his 2017-09-17 broadcast? Look for the transcript here
Fareed Zakaria is a thoughtful person and he does his homework. I’ve rarely found him say or write anything with which I disagree. Whether it’s the size of government or climate change, he’s about right. Science does measure and predict the behaviour of important systems including our climate. Government does help greatly in monitoring and forecasting weather, regulating healthcare, building infrastructure, generally anything that’s too big for individuals to manage themselves. That’s all good yet we have Republicans and Trump touting that government and science are evils which must be ignored or handicapped instead of used wisely. That’s just stupid.

Stop being stupid. Let government and scientists do what needs to be done. Universal healthcare and managing climate change need to be done. Get on with it.

Here’s part of Fareed’s show today:

See also, A climate scientist on hurricanes

This entry was posted in politics, weather and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to On Not Being Stupid

1. Grece wrote, “The video is unavailable due to copyright Robert.”

I don’t know copyright was an issue but I changed the link according to Google and it works again. I also added a link to CNN for the remainder of the episode about hurricanes/climate change and what to do about them.

Grece I am not stressed. The reality here you still have not used my correct handle. Until you do you are not saying anything I have to obey. In fact disobey is exactly what I should be doing. This is more english prac as I require. So its perfectly to my advantage to keep on typing.

Grece it about time you start thinking things over. Not using my handle has blocked requests for information leads to me not obey you. Leads to me doing this. So you are bring this on yourself then you tell me not stress. Its basically you are a idiot using the wrong game plan.

3. Grece says:

I honestly think you ought to calm down; take a stress pill and think things over.

Grece by the way you should be able to tell by my writing you have not made me mad. If I am really mad my dyslexia takes over and word shuffling along sentences happen. No word shuffling I have not me mad. So I don’t need to calm down.

Grece if you did not want the responses you should not post off topic crap. You asked for you got it. Why with my dyslexia I need to so much writing practice per day.

Does this not explain my wall of text responses. Yet you keep on being idiots and doing stupid things asking for it.

Grece no point tell me to carm down now. I see you did dispute a single fact.

Grece really you are a idiot who cannot do basic research. Who will believe people who have no qualifications on a topic. Will call someone lier without facts. Will attack a person when the facts are documented against them. This sounding way worse than the you are making of me. Changed handle all the time to run away from what he has done. It kinda of clear you do this because you will be repsonding regularly at regularly space time frames then magically you don’t respond and another person turns up attempting to take to debate in another direction. Does not know all the rules of english either.
    So this must be 100 percent true about you thank for conforming.

6. Grece says:

The video is unavailable due to copyright Robert.

7. Grece says:

Calm down Fifi.

Grece the one reality about you is that you never tell the truth about yourself. You would not have that list about me if I did not sometime at least tell truth.

Funny enough is you ask for the truth then when you get it you attempt to pick on me for it.

Grece really so you are just like Ivan. How my form of dyslexia was able to be treated was finding that people who had dyslexia before a particular form of UN illegal torture did not have it after it. Please not the illegal torture is not just illegal because it painful/harmful it also can cause false memories so making any evidence got pointless. The way it out lawed its not meant to be used for medical treatment even its only used in trial base on those that are classed as not treatable.

Basically that list post is you attempt to change the attack to me when it you who have lost the argument.

untreatable dyslexia is a side effect of failure to diagnose glue ear early. So if you knew the topic grece from what you already had in your list you should have known I had glue ear the only bit of new information is that it 6 years. To have the problem in a min of 5 years untreated.

By the way Grece you just use Petey. Grece use fifi and Ivan uses Petey. So how to admit you are Ivan. Please note you do this all the time. So there is no question you change handles.

10. Grece says:

Quoting HamDong. “Grece lets just say the faults you most see in other people are faults you have your self that you never admit.”

Well Hammy, lets reread your total ailments shall we?

I don’t go on blogs and post that I have untreatable dyslexia, as my reasoning due to not being able to compose a functioning sentence.

I don’t go on blogs and post that my writing style is special, and scientific in nature and analogous to doctors.

I don’t go on blogs and post that I have biological issues that cause wireless routers to drop offline.

I don’t go on blogs and post that I paint my face black and dance the the macarena, while jumping around looking like Harambe.

I don’t go on blogs and post that I have Marfan Syndrome, so this gives me an advantage to picking citrus fruit.

And now to add.

I don’t go on blogs and post that I am deaf with “glue ear” inner-ear/cerebellar dysfunction and treated using a special form of torture outlawed by the U.N.

You know, a picture is starting to form; you sound like a hypochondriac Petey.

Ivan to have what is classed as untreatable dyslexia.
    A tendency to skip over or scramble letters, words, and sentences.
    Its this in writing. Where you shuffle not just letters in words when writing but complete words in sentences and complete sentences with each other.

So why do I keep my punctuation to a min. Having the worst form of dyslexia writing appear makes what you currently called complete gibberish look readable. You have not clue what dyslexia complete gibberish looks like.

Ivan about time you also learn about dyslexia. Each dyslexia mix is unique.

Yes I was deaf for the first 6 years of my life due to a condition called glue ear. “reliable indicators of inner-ear/cerebellar dysfunction.” << yes that is inner-ear malfunction on a major scale. Most of the people you most likely meet with dyslexia did not have 6 years of malfunction. Also most were not diagnosed as unable to be treated. The treatment used on me is one of the forms of torture outlawed by the UN. Yet you idiots think insulting me is going to bother a person like me.

There are a lot who have dyslexia as bad as me currently who would just not write anything in public where insulting people like you Ivan could see. Basically Ivan you are a idiot who attempts to attack me proving you should not be trusted by those with conditions like mine.

Ivan You should just admit you are talking out of your ass, Petey.

Reality you just have posted complete out your ass and you are too much of a idiot to know it. You cannot get my handle right and you got not a single point.

14. Ivan says:

You should just admit you are talking out of your ass, Petey.

are you are total moron

I know many dyslexic people, Petey, but you are the only one claiming to be dyslexic that writes complete gibberish.

Deaf Spy how to be wrong.
    Number one Dave Cutler called it a modified micro-kernel. We call this style today Hybrid kernel.

Take a very close look at the NT architecture picture.

Conversely, the reason NT is not a microkernel system is because most of the system components run in the same address space as the kernel, as would be the case with a monolithic design (in a traditional monolithic design, there would not be a microkernel per se, but the kernel would implement broadly similar functionality to NT’s microkernel and kernel-mode subsystems).
    This is the difference is in fact wrong. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_address_space_operating_system
    The one to check is the amigaOS is a Microkernel and everything runs in the same address space because the hardware did not have the means to-do address separation.

The difference is that NT in fact links the microkernel and other core parts into 1 single file call like ntoskrnl.exe. So Windows NT is core design a Microkernel without address separation of all parts and without individual file separation of most of the core parts to allow individual replacement. The missing address separation does not make Windows NT design not Microkernel as there are Microkernel OS in existence missing this separation. Everything core bound into ntoskrnl.exe that makes Windows NT design not a Microkernel due to losing the Microkernel requirement of individual part failure and replacement. But in a single release with different core packaging Windows NT based OS could become a microkernel lacking full address separation.

Modified microkernel is fairly much the correct title for Windows NT design. Hybrid kernel name is fairly much mistakes. Up until nt kernel is linked into 1 file developers could have gone routes that kept it a microkernel lacking address separation.

Windows NT based operating systems are Microkernel OS in design up until the final linking then they way its linked up its no longer a Microkernel but something else that need a name.

Deaf Spy so saying windows is or is not a Microkernel it when and how you look at it. Windows internal design for drivers and core services is single address space Microkernel. Windows load by its bootloader is 100 percent not Microkernel and its not monolithic either its some hybrid mix between the way a monolithic kernel loads and the way a micro-kernel loads this is where the hybrid name comes from.

The one thing you can never really call a Windows kernel is a monolithic as is absolutely not that. Windows is one small step in packaging away from being a Microkernel with poor address separation this is why Modified Micro-kernel is a valid title for it because without the modification is a Microkernel.

Deaf Spy get use to it I am way better at fact checking that what you are.

16. Deaf Spy, showing symptoms of Trumpism, wrote, “if you state that Windows kernel is micro-kernel (it is not), because you quote Dave Cutler, I will accept it because this is Dave Cutler you quote. But, if you say so because you quote Fifi, then I will laugh my guts out.”

Well, that makes you a fool. One should compare multiple sources of information including independent verification before accepting fake facts. This redundancy avoids typos, systematic errors, lies and all kinds of crap one finds on Twitter etc. “Proper citation” does not.

17. Deaf Spy says:

What’s the source of a fact?

Its proof.

Does it matter whether you got the fact from Bill or Joe?

It does. Allows fact-checkers to validate the proof.

Fact-checkers don’t care.

On contrary, they do. The validity of one’s statements, when based on someone else’s facts, is in direct relation to the validity and dependability of these else’s proofs.

A very simple example. If you state that Windows kernel is micro-kernel (it is not), because you quote Dave Cutler, I will accept it because this is Dave Cutler you quote. But, if you say so because you quote Fifi, then I will laugh my guts out.

Really, Robert, have you ever written an academic paper? A single one?

18. John Stamos wrote, “It’s about citing the original source material.”

OK, Zakaria did not refer to some guy who made a list of storms. Where was that guy’s list of sources? What’s the source of a fact? Does it matter whether you got the fact from Bill or Joe? Fact-checkers don’t care. They will try to check the raw data that may be somewhere else. The source certainly doesn’t matter much to Zakaria or his readers. They are interested in some broader concept like governmental policy or saving the planet.

19. John Stamos wrote, “some modicum of intellectual integrity”.

Well, you should be positively outraged by Trump’s lies then.

20. John Stamos says:

Why do you keep insisting that it’s anything like copyright? It doesn’t matter how “artful” your paraphrase is. Plagiarism isn;t about originality, it’s about acknowledging the source material and not claiming it as your own. It’s about citing the original source material.

You can copy information word for word if you please, as long as you cite the source, you’re in the clear. It’s worse when you try to hide the plagiarism behing paraphrasing.

21. John Stamos says:

Three dozen? Is that the best you can do? How many articles does Zakaria write in a month? Three dozen over years is not a pattern. It’s just a low error rate.

“Best I can do”? I haven;t bothered sifting through his body of work to hunt down citation errors, though who know, I’ve been meaning to dig into tensorflow and do something with the jSTOR and proquest APIs. Maybe when I have more free time.

As I understand from the articles linked, those are instances of direct, verbatim copying (in one case, a dialogue from a documentary, word for word). Typically, people who’re prone to direct plagiarism and also prone to plagiarism by paraphrasing. Direct plagiarism is the lazy version.

These aren’t errors though, there are no citations. I do a fair deal of academic writing (published multiple times, in fact), and the best of us slip up (sometimes I’ll mistakenly cite the wrong page, but it gets picked up by proof reading).

Not sure what point you’re arguing though, you’re (allegedly) an academic, or were once upon a time, and you (should) know that it’s a one-strike policy in academia. Why should journalism be held to a markedly lower standard?

Personally, all I ask for is attribution, I don’t require a page number or even chapter for an article (we all know for example that “external determinsm” is from Waltz, and “Balance of Power” is from Walt), just an acknowledgement of who the information is from. You know, some modicum of intellectual integrity.

Ivan I will not give you the links to the court cases because you are not using my nym. But they mention a few rare wins. How to lose a case over weather forecasts is not having qualified people in the mix so you are attacked not on the forecast but in fact you did not have qualified people to double check the forecast.

So the reality claiming what said never happened I see as a attempt to get me to answer a request that is not my handle. Ivan I use your handle about time you learn to do the same thing. I have refused to answer you enough times are you are total moron who cannot learn.

Ivan failure to use my correct handle means your request for stuff never happened as well.

24. Ivan says:

So the legal restriction happens in the USA.

Legal cite or it didn’t happen, Petey.

25. John Stamos wrote, “It’s about where the ideas are from”.

Facts are not ideas. If I say Sun is below the horizon as I write, that’s a fact. I don’t get to own that fact. It’s everyone’s fact. The fact is still a fact if I report it as standing on my doorstep in the dark or indoors by looking at my clock. It does not matter to anyone where the fact originates. I might claim originality by being the first/only one to report that fact this minute, but that’s not very important. The precise sentence I use may have some art if I throw in some ambience or big words or describe how the crickets are behaving at the same time but just making a list of facts is not artful at all.

John Stamos also wrote, “At least three dozen examples of plagiarism is very much indicative of a pattern.”

26. John Stamos says:

Wait, wait, wait. You think plagiarism is about copyright, and we’re supposed to believe your academic qualifications after such an assention? Have you even ever written a research paper, never mind a thesis or dissertation?

It’s not a literary work, just a list of facts like 1,2,3.

It doesn’t matter. If it’s not yours, you cite it. How did you make it out of the 200 level? I pull numbers, I have to state where I got them. I repeat a claim, I have to cite the source. Only the explicitly obvious (“1 + 1 = 2”, “grass is green”, etc), or dates of significant events gets a pass.

It’s not about similarity. It’s about where the ideas are from. What next, you’re going to trot out the myth that if you paraphrase something enough that its not similar, it isn’t plagiarism?

There certainly is no pattern of plagiarism and Fareed owned up to his mistake.

“seven of his Newsweek columns (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), one Slate column, and four Washington Post columns (1, 2, 3, 4) have been affixed with editor’s notes essentially admitting to acts of plagiarism.”

“This column, for example, has no note recognizing the fact that it contains language swiped verbatim from a David Leonhardt story from The New York Times.”

“he authors at Our Bad Media have cited at least three dozen instances in which the CNN host and Washington Post columnist appeared to have lifted passages from various publications and websites for unattributed reuse in his books and magazine articles and on his television program.”

Things may be different on your little island, Petey, but the only limitation weather people have in the States is being able to read a teleprompter in a photogenic manner.
    Ivan what they are reading is not a meteorological weather report. Instead a script written by Meteorologist and they are not allowed any point of view when reading it and the Meteorologist who wrote the script have to be supervising. Yes when you don’t have a Meteorologist in the USA presenting weather report you have a boring script read presentation because all they can legally do as a mistake can cost the TV/radio/newspaper billions.

So there has to be a qualified Meteorologist in the mix either on stage or approving script.

So the legal restriction happens in the USA. The media in the USA with real Meteorologist presenting in the USA can do a more entertaining presentation.

Yet you see people start talking about climate change completely forgetting those doing weather reports are legally restricted on what they can say.

I will give you this is badly written by me. The reality is even the USA if the person presenting is not a qualified Meteorologist a person who is qualified has to be watching and able to step in if required. If not TV/Radio….station runs a major risk of major liability from incorrect information.

The historic is that any panic or lack of action resulting in damage is caused by incorrect weather report without provable suitable due care the one who provide that report are liable for the damage. I would not want to be liable for the damage if you were claiming the effects of global warming wrong or claiming global warming does exist and happens to be proven as existing.

So a lot of USA media talking about global warming is seriously playing with fire due to the historic precedents in the USA over weather reporting.

28. Ivan says:

Grece of course there is an major difference. You cannot read a weather report on TV without be qualified to at least Meteorologist due to risk of miss interpretation of climate information. In fact there is 4 cases were radio and newspapers got massive fined in the courts over weather information from unqualified so the people presenting that information these days is qualified personal only. Yet we having people talking about climate change looking at the raw data and making a point of view who are unqualified like what was happening before those court cases. This is a pure failure to learn from history.

Computer scientist, Microsoftologist and Linuxologist,
    Clueless rewriting.
    http://linuxologist.com/ happens to be a site that has fairly much sat dormant since 2014.

And I don’t disagree that someone claiming to be a Linux user should not be 100 percent believed. The Linux foundation has been working to get those with the formal valid information with more media coverage. The issue in the climate debate does also apply to Linux and Microsoft issue. Like Deafspy seeing Microsoft sales to a Linux dominate cloud provider and thinking this was big news because did not take it with the correct grain of salt that it was paid for story so positive for Microsoft without how big it really was.

Sorry Grece rewriting the point does not change the fact it required to take what is written with a grain of salt. I remember the presentation at the Linux conference by pro Linux media person stating that he wrote negative Linux articles at time because this would increase number of visitors so increase amount of revenue. Also did not help that the pro Microsoft person at is firm would do the same thing against Microsoft.

One if the person who is talking is qualified helps. At least the person working out what the data says with climate information or you risk being fined and prosecuted due to the prior cases.

Of course you think have to take account for vested interest. Now a qualified person with vested interest mostly will not lie but will not tell you the complete truth either. Deception in the form of lie by omission.

The biggest customer for Microsoft Windows Server that is not Microsoft themselves is Amazon and they are 80 percent Linux. To be scary is that 80 percent Linux at Amazon is about 51% of all Internet cloud services. So Amazon is scary huge with more than half the market under it control.

Also Microsoft Windows is now Microsoft 4 biggest income source. Servers and Xbox/games are 1 and 2. Remember 1/3 of Microsoft server income comes from hosting Linux servers.

I would say at this point Microsoft server is slowing coming legacy. Windows desktop is also heading into a bad area with decreasing income.

The thing about Linux is it works on quite a low income stream for what it is.

Remember the one thing moving to the Internet cloud has done to Microsoft is forcing Microsoft to do deals with discounts with bigger and bigger entries with reducing need to have any interest in paying Microsoft. Its lot simpler to over change 1000 individuals than 1 entity negotiation for 1000 individuals.

30. Deaf Spy says:

I think EMV is doing well.

Well, fine.

Solo is very easily produced compared to cars like Teslas and Nissan Leafs.

Russian Lada is also very easily produced compared to cars like Ford or Volvo. Interestingly even Russians get a Lada only when they can’t afford even a 20-year old fourth-hand Ford… People from Europe would touch a Lada only with a ten-meter pole.

The market for inferior vehicles is too small, Robert.

31. Deaf Spy, quoting facts not in evidence, wrote, “many climate scientists deny such changes”.

The fact is over 90% of such people know Earth is warming and a likely contributor to that is greenhouse gas production by people. I have no doubt about that based on fundamental knowledge of atomic physics and radiation and personal and statistical data on weather. In fact, your “climate scientists” should be required to prove that the radiation cross-sections for CO2 molecules produced by burning millions of barrels of oil in the atmosphere don’t increase warming. That’s just a silly opinion based on nothing.

Here’s an experiment you can do to prove global warming by burning petroleum is a real thing. Take a light framework of sticks and cover it with polyethylene sheeting. Crawl inside on a sunny day and tell me global warming does not happen just from sunshine and blanketing Earth with more stuff. Bring water to avoid dehydration.

32. Grece says:

Very handy Fifi, very wise words. Rewritten another way, we find that.

Deaf Spy there is a problem. There is technically no such thing as a Linux user from a qualification point of view.

Computer scientist, Microsoftologist and Linuxologist are formal qualifications linked titles. Basically I can call my self a Linux user and everything is above board all I need to be doing is some weather recording and writing some theories..

So basically someone claiming to be a Linux user any clueless idiot. Of course clueless idiots who don’t understand evidence. Now it would be more interesting.

All the notable long term people given the title of Linux user have some other title they have used mostly Linuxologist.

Deaf Spy it gets me how many so called Linux user are basically unqualified in the field they are talking about yet they have got media coverage talking against Microsoft. Also you find unquantified people claiming to be Linux user talking for Microsoft. Its a bit hard to have proper debate on the topic when unqualified are getting media coverage with titles that make the sound qualified.

33. Deaf Spy wrote, “Solo production is still at turtle’s pace. Obviously something is very wrong here.”

EMV has stated publicly:

• They need more investment to ramp up production in a huge way.
    • They can produce a few units a month with present facilities, and
    • they are getting the last few bugs out by keeping production small and local while awaiting Nation Safety Mark certification.

Yes, they could be producing more units than they are but they are sticking to their plan and managing burn rate of cash. It’s a critical time every startup encounters. EMV has lots of orders, is trading shares on the stock market and I’m sure can find the capital they need to increase production this year. It’s too bad it’s taking so much time to get started but they are not doing poorly compared to how long it took Tesla or Elio to get started.

Tesla started in 2003 with an investment of less than $10million. Six years later and further investment, “By January 2009, Tesla had raised US$187 million and delivered 147 cars.”

I think EMV is doing well. They have manufacturers around the world lined up to produce Solos. They don’t need much cash to satisfy my needs and get production going full blast. Solo is very easily produced compared to cars like Teslas and Nissan Leafs.

Deaf Spy there is a problem. There is technically no such thing as a climate scientist from a qualification point of view.

Atmospheric scientist, Meteorologist and Climatologist are formal qualifications linked titles. Basically I can call my self a climate scientist and everything is above board all I need to be doing is some weather recording and writing some theories..

So basically someone claiming to be a climate scientist any clueless idiot. Of course clueless idiots who don’t understand evidence. Now it would be more interesting.

All the notable long term people given the title of climate scientist have some other title they have used mostly Climatologist.

Deaf Spy it gets me how many so called Climate Scientist are basically unqualified in the field they are talking about yet they have got media coverage talking against climate change. Also you find unquantified people claiming to be climate scientist talking for climate change. Its a bit hard to have proper debate on the topic when unqualified are getting media coverage with titles that make the sound qualified.

35. Deaf Spy says:

What could go wrong?

Well, you’ve been saying this for months, and Solo production is still at turtle’s pace. Obviously something is very wrong here.

36. Deaf Spy says:

USAians claim to trust scientists a lot more than politicians or journalists…Conflicted?

No conflict here, Robert. Climate scientists, you know, are not in one opinion on the climate changes. Quite many climate scientists deny such changes. Of course, it is not “modern” to say so, but increasingly many climate scientists dare speak out.

Btw, have you seen how “global warming” gave way to “climate changes”? 🙂

37. USAians apparently say science is a matter of politics:
    “A large majority of liberal Democrats (79%) believe the Earth is warming mostly because of human activity. In contrast, only about one-in-six conservative Republicans (15%) say this, a difference of 64 percentage points. A much larger share of conservative Republicans say there is no solid evidence the Earth is warming (36%) or that warming stems from natural causes (48%).”

Strangely, USAians claim to trust scientists a lot more than politicians or journalists… Conflicted? Schizophrenic? Lost?

38. Grece wrote, “Waiting a decade on a three-wheel mobility scooter, where you have no chance in obtaining.”

Chances are getting better all the time. No, they haven’t ramped up production in a huge way yet but the share price has doubled in a week and large organizations have placed orders for 19K vehicles. I’d say funding increased production should be a lot easier today than it was six months ago. Also, the first owner informs me she still loves her Solo. It’s the right product at the right time and it will have a large market/demand. What could go wrong? Crash tests are imminent but these guys do know how to make cars withstand much more demanding crashes so I’m not worried about that.

39. Grece says:

That’s just stupid.

Want to know whats stupid Robert?

40. Ivan says:

He is Canadian, it’s highly likely that he finds science to be a matter of opinion.

41. Deaf Spy says:

If you have ever worked with big data, you’d have known better than speaking like this. But as usual, you just talk out of thin air.

42. It’s not as if governments and big businesses cannot hire programmers and weather-people to do their forecasting. Further proof of ease is that just about every country in the world can afford to do it these days. NHC is applying, what, 20 models for hurricanes to see how they compare? It must be easy to implement one or they wouldn’t do that. Satellites can stream the temperature of the whole surface every hour or so. The Internet can send reports from ground-stations automatically every five minutes. Planes can report by GPS and temperature/pressure/wind sensors what’s happening in 3D. Then there are the precipitation and wind radars… If you can’t predict the weather reasonably well with all that data, you’re not doing your job.

43. Deaf Spy says:

It’s rational stuff:

44. Grece wrote, “humans cannot even predict the weather”.

It has been pointed out that despite terrible hurricanes, rates of death due to hurricanes have declined precipitously simply because humans can predict the weather. It’s rational stuff:

• record as much data over as much time and as often as you can,
    • identify patterns,
    • create mathematical models, and
    • simulate the weather on computers.

It’s a bit like rocket-science. We can forecast where an ICBM will go within seconds of observing its motion. We can forecast eclipses. We can sequence traffic lights to optimize flow. All this stuff is based on rational thoughts, logic, mathematics and huge computing power (storage, compute, graphics, networking/communications). Grece should get out more.

My local weather has been forecast weeks in advance to within about 3° C for years now. For the next 24h they can forecast rainfall hour by hour. It’s neat and not impossible. Several of my classmates at university went into meteorology. They did this kind of stuff for decades. With satellite coverage, the Internet and tremendous computing resources, it’s all pretty easy. The reason is simple, the mathematical behaviour of air, water, sunshine, land and sea are knowable. It’s just a question of the resolution of the grid. I check the weather on the web many times daily. It’s easier than getting out of my chair to see whether conditions are right for some operation or other in the yard. For instance, I see that there will be ~10°C warming tomorrow with sunshine so my last grass seeds may need to be sprinkled. The first batch is looking decent now except for some bald spots where I didn’t cover well. The weather forecaster is the least of my problems.

45. That example of “plagiarism” is more or less a list of facts. It’s not something on which one can have copyright. It’s not a literary work, just a list of facts like 1,2,3. If someone writes 1,2,3 somewhere else he doesn’t need to credit me with the facts. It’s basically a list of facts about gun-control in order by date. It’s likely any two such lists would be substantially similar. However, Fareed should have stated the source of the list just so folks could check the facts and as a courtesy to the other authour. It does appear that Fareed did copy the list more or less but there’s certainly no intent to claim that Fareed discovered the facts on his own. CNN reinstated Fareed promptly within a week. With the volume of writing Fareed does, there are bound to be mistakes made. There certainly is no pattern of plagiarism and Fareed owned up to his mistake. He’s not a plagiarist, just human.

46. Grece wrote, “which are both Muslims anyways, and both anti-Americans”.

Absolute nonsense. Khan sacrificed his son for USA. Fareed is a highly respected journalist who is global in outlook but a real asset to USA.

47. Grece says:

Regarding the lawyer and connections to Hillary etc.. I mixed Fareed Zakaria with Khizr Khan, which are both Muslims anyways, and both anti-Americans.

48. Grece says:

Robert are you brain-dead? Zakaria admitted to plagiarizing and was suspended by CNN for doing so.

49. Grece says:

“Affect” and “Manage” are two very different words you dimwit.

Of course humans “affect” the weather, every time your fat-ass farts you do so, but to insinuate that we “manage” is a totally different thing. So I ask again, how do we “manage” climate change? When humans cannot even predict the weather??

50. Grece, instead of responding to the subject of the post immediately descends to ad hominem attacks. Oh yes, he finally touches on climate and denies that humans can affect it despite burning millions of years of hydrocarbons annually.

Grece, have you actually listened to Fareed or read what he has written? He’s reasonable and balanced, not biased like you. He’s never been a lawyer. He’s never been a plagiarist. See Fareed Zakaria
    “after a review of his research notes and years of prior commentary, Time and CNN reinstated Zakaria. Time described the incident as “isolated” and “unintentional”; and CNN “…found nothing that merited continuing the suspension”

Newsweek initially added a blanket warning to its archive of articles penned by Zakaria, but after an investigation of his several hundred columns for the magazine, found improper citation in only seven.”

Plagiarist: One who plagiarizes, or purloins the words, writings, or ideas of another, and passes them off as his own.

Zakaria doesn’t do that but he is human and occasionally makes a mistake. None of us are perfect.

51. Grece says:

Fareed Zakaria is a token Muslim Robert and a plagiarist to boot Robert.

This Muslim man is not who you think he is, he is a Hillary plant and a lawyer that specializes in Muslim Immigration and tied to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Stop being stupid.

When are you going to start Robert? Ranting incessantly about Trump, a secret Microsoft-Intel alliance, a dark Microsoft monopoly, non-existent Arm boards, drooling over a three-wheel electric vehicle that you won’t possibly see for at least four years, and a solar array that you will never build.

Let government and scientists do what needs to be done.

Sure, bring on them Canadian carbon-taxes!

Universal healthcare and managing climate change need to be done.

Its not universal when it takes months to see a doctor. Nor is it universal when you are denied treatment as your status in life is not worth the effort.

Managing climate change? How exactly do you do that Robert? Humans can’t even predict the weather reliably past twenty-four hours, and here you are talking about managing the weather?

52. kurkosdr says:

Oh and btw your country, Canada, has withdrawn from the second phase of Kyoto. Why do you Pog think the US should do all the things your country won’t?

53. kurkosdr says:

Why should the US commit to CO2 targets when China and India won’t? Just to give China and India more CO2 headroom and make US manufacturing even less competitive?