Range Anxiety? No Longer!

In my previous explorations of the web to find charging stations for my new Solo EV, there were a few hops on the highway that exceeded the nominal 160km range. One of these was from Peavey Mart at Regina, SK to the public library at Whitewood, SK on the TransCanada Highway. That was 170km. I made plans to zig up to Yorkton, SK, to cut that gap into shorter pieces. That no longer is necessary as a dealership in Indian Head, SK now has an EV charging station. It’s all good news. Still, I can visit Yorkton, just because I can and it’s a good place to visit, beautiful, calm and surrounded by same.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Range Anxiety? No Longer!

IGnatius T Foobar the problem here is global warming is true so is global dimming. The CSIRO report on the matter is very interesting.

The model uses here in Australia is a complete planet earth model for weather forecasting and other nasty uses.

Australia we mine a lot. Mining is not a sustainable business. To start seaweed production in open sea in a cost effective way you want growth rate above a particularly level to make cost of platform recoverable in a suitable time. Growth rate of seaweed is effected by CO2 level. So you mine coal and burn it right to push CO2 levels up. Now when you burn coal you get emissions that cause global dimming that effect your crop yields and other toxic chemicals. So lets export it.

We are looking at a 200 year plan and we are 20 years in. Lot of oil fields are the likes of seaweed broken down and turned into oil.

This is when thing turn scary when you have a proper model of the earth you can plan some very evil things. Including know that particular parties will not detect effectively what you have done until is really too late for them. Basically the CSIRO is experimenting with teraforming and is getting in a little prac with earth.

2. IGnatius T Foobar says:

It’s so funny watching little comrade pogson still believing the old propaganda about global warming.

3. Deaf Spy says:

I have better things to do with my cash at the moment

Yet another reason you’d never build your fabled ARM server and fabled thin-client ARM environment to replace your “power-guzzling” beast.

Cars, computers, solar panels… Same old end, same hypocrisy.

4. Grece wrote, “I seem to recall a few of us stating this exact thing to your delusional ass, but you would not hear a word of it”.

Nonsense. Everyone knew their situation. It’s not fatal because they are living within their means. There are signs of life like new stocks of parts, so I continue to have confidence everything will work out. The only question is how long it will take to ramp up production. I still think it will happen this year.

5. Grece says:

So “NO CASH” and “NO CERTIFICATIONS” for this venture, eh?

I seem to recall a few of us stating this exact thing to your delusional ass, but you would not hear a word of it .

Sucks don’t it?

6. Sadly, I have not yet taken delivery and probably won’t for about a year. Electra Meccanica is following a “hand made” pattern rather than creating industrial assembly lines. It’s about cash and certification. They don’t have the cash for a big rollout and they don’t have certification to be able to make money selling many units, so they are using the design team as assemblers, getting the last bugs out of the car. I know of no other impediment to mass-production.

I’m quite sure certification will succeed because they are making cars to safety specs and having them certified one by one. At the price offered and the complexity of a unit they should be able to make money selling cars so I don’t think money is a long term problem.

I speculate, based on physics and published specs, that the car will easily reach 160km range but there are some discrepancies. They claim 3h/6h charging at 220V/110V but that doesn’t add up to 16.1kWh in the battery. EMV is sloppy about specs. e.g. It was just revealed that their prototypes had 8kWh batteries… I wonder what battery has the 3h/6h charging…

Other EVs, Teslas and Leafs have decent specs and data published. Solo, being narrower and lighter should exceed them both in miles/kWh. We’ve been told some drivers have reached 120miles and I think that is achievable at city speeds. On the highway, one would have to watch the speed carefully as drag increases with the square of the speed. We need to get a Solo into the hands of geek like me to sort all this out. It’s too bad EMV is so small they can’t spare a techie to present a coherent story to the public. The CEO doesn’t make a good details-man.

7. kurkosdr wrote, “the fact you have TLW running around for most of your common errands (going to the store to buy food etc) and chauffering you around instead of driving the SUV yourself doesn’t change a thing”.

I buy my groceries from Wal-Mart.ca and a delivery truck drops them off on its rounds, saving a lot of greenhouse gas emission per shopping episode. I also walk to go vote despite the locations being 3 miles away. I’ve planted a Hell of a lot of trees on the property, sucking up a lot of CO2 when they grow. I do my part. Adding solar and electric vehicles will just be the cherry on the cake.

8. Peter B says:

Have you taken delivery already? I’m wondering about the real-world range, especially on the highway. What range are you getting?

9. kurkosdr says:

The Solo is not an option for you for the next 4 years best case scenario, so if you want to not be dependent on the SUV for your private transportation, the Leaf is the only option.

there aren’t many used Leafs available in these parts, and
    It’s a car, it can be driven

If the Solo became available to buy in Q1 2018, would you still have better things to do with your cash at that moment?

Anyway, that’s the gist of the story: The SUV still works and you have better things to do with your cash than spends thousands of dollars just for eco-consience reasons, but you still want to boast about being green (while in reality you are yet another SUV-dependent for private transportation gas-waster like many North Americans*), so the not-to-be-delivered-anytine-soon solo fits the purpose perfectly.

*the fact you have TLW running around for most of your common errands (going to the store to buy food etc) and chauffering you around instead of driving the SUV yourself doesn’t change a thing.

10. kurkosdr wrote, “Yet you are not buying a Leaf. Why?”

1. I don’t like the Leaf. It’s overly complex, large and expensive for my needs. It’s also much less efficient in kWh/km than Solo. Used Leafs may be affordable but
    2. there aren’t many used Leafs available in these parts, and
    3. I have better things to do with my cash at the moment, like investing and buying trees.
  11. Kurkosdr wrote, “He will drive the SUV to its last mile, having of course the excuse that he is waiting for delivery of his Solo.”

I last drove the SUV three weeks ago on an errand. TLW drives it 99% of the time. She knows someone who drove a car 20 years and believes that’s the right thing to do, neglecting fuel-consumption and maintenance altogether. She may be good at real estate but she’s terrible at maths.

12. kurkosdr says:

Robert is a hypocrite.

My thoughts too. He will drive the SUV to its last mile, having of course the excuse that he is waiting for delivery of his Solo.

Convenient: All the Green Boasting without having to change a thing.

13. Grece says:

Robert is a hypocrite.

14. kurkosdr says:

Yet you are not buying a Leaf. Why?

15. Kurkosdr wrote, “you would never buy a new vehicle unless the SUV is due for replacement due to age, because the SUV is equipment that has being paid for, and the gas and maintenance costs are less than the cost of immediate replacement with an EV.”

The SUV is near end of life. There are $thousands in repairs pending and still TLW clings to it because it’s huge, powerful and she’s used to it. I’m the one that has to do daily maintenance on it to keep it running. A used Leaf and a new Solo EV would be less annual outlay and a lot less hassle.

The SUV is due for a new engine, tires, and repairs to half a dozen luxurious electrical systems… and that’s just the stuff we know about. I have to disconnect the battery daily to keep it from draining… [SARCASM]Tell me a couple of EVs would be more trouble…[/SARCASM]

UPDATE Just checked. AutoTrader.ca doesn’t list any Nissan Leaf within 1000km. Further, interest rates are very low. We will be able to pay for a new sewer connection, a Leaf, a Solo and EV-charging infrastructure at ~3% interest rates on our mortgage. I can pay cash for Solo, but at these interest rates, why should I? I can make a lot of money investing instead.

$17K for Leaf, $21K for Solo, taxes and registration, about $7K, sewer, about $40K and solar power about $10K. Total is $85K and 3% of that is $2600 per annum, less than half what the damned SUV is costing us per annum. We have hundreds of $K equity in our home so banks would love to loan us the money… and we would be finished with the heat, stink and worry/bother about the SUV.

16. Kurkosdr says:

ondy = one

17. Kurkosdr says:

But you won’t buy a Leaf.

Being the massive penny-pincher you are, you would never buy a new vehicle unless the SUV is due for replacement due to age, because the SUV is equipment that has being paid for, and the gas and maintenance costs are less than the cost of immediate replacement with an EV.

Which is why everybody is calling you out. You are pretending to want an EV but you don’t really want ondy for the following several years or so. You like boasting your green credentials but don’t like putting your money where your mouth is. This is where the preorder money for a vehicle never to be delivered before 2021 (if ever) come into play: It is your way of being intellectually dishonest to yourself and everybody else.

18. Kurkosdr says:

Jerry Kroll, CEO of EMV is still talking of fulfillment of orders in 2018

Quoted without further comment.

19. Grece wrote, “So I guess the DragonsDen cash injection was a flop.”

Jerry is still talking 2018 deliveries so perhaps he knows something we don’t. DD session with EMV has yet to be broadcast.

20. Kurkosdr wrote, “1) Either you are too insane to cancel the preorder and buy a Leaf
    2) You don’t really want to spend money on an EV, and promising to yourself to buy the Solo you preordered when (if ever) it becomes available”

Nonsense. I can both buy a used Leaf to replace the gas-guzzler and buy a Solo for optimal transportation for me alone.

Jerry Kroll, CEO of EMV is still talking of fulfillment of orders in 2018 so he must know something we don’t.

21. Kurkosdr says:

So, you preordered a vehicle from a company managed in a foolish and short-sighted way. How are those prospects for 2018 delivery of your Solo looking?

Not that this prevents you from planning routes for your Solo already, but I digress.

Anyway, it is apparent that:
    1) Either you are too insane to cancel the preorder and buy a Leaf
    2) You don’t really want to spend money on an EV, and promising to yourself to buy the Solo you preordered when (if ever) it becomes available is your way of alleviating guilt for the fact your wife’s gas guzzler is your sole private transportation, and the preorder money is your “guilt-tax” (as a second-world person, I am surprised by what first-world people can be guilted for… the other day I saw an ad in British TV about a charity fund for donkeys… not people or some endangered species, but donkeys!).

Maybe Jerry isn’t managing EMV in such a foolish and short-sighted way after all…

22. Grece says:

So I guess the DragonsDen cash injection was a flop.

23. Kurkosdr wrote, “could the Pog inform us how many units got shipped per month for those months since the first Solo got delivered?”

Nope. They are apparently not serious about ramping up production yet. They are using the design-team as assemblers and pulling them off that task to design a new model. It seems foolish and short-sighted to me but it’s their company not mine.

24. Kurkosdr says:

Yeah, could the Pog inform us how many units got shipped per month for those months since the first Solo got delivered?

Or is this information kept under wraps, despite the fact EMV should boast about them if they were any good?

25. Grece says:

So Robert, I hate beating a dead horse and all, but how many units has EM shipped this past month? This year?? Whats the probability and of next year? How many units Robert??