Production Solo #1 Gets Into The Hands Of A Happy Customer

Yes, the Solo EV from Electra Meccanica in Vancouver is happening. Here’s the happiest customer showing Solo off to her friends…

UPDATE

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Production Solo #1 Gets Into The Hands Of A Happy Customer

1. Grece, thinking everyone is stupid, wrote, “This is why you purchase said vehicle in Ontario or BC, duh!”

ON, the closest province giving a nice subsidy does so only for listed vehicles (Solo is not yet listed) and requires residency in ON as well as periodic reports on the usage of the EV. BC, is OK, but you still have to live there. BC is very expensive place to live at least around Vancouver. Rich people are buying up all the land and buildings… Land is expensive everywhere in BC because of the mountainous terrain. One can’t park a car on a very steep slope… PQ is PQ. It’s hard to live there without speaking/reading French which is not my choice. So, I’ll pay the full price with a smile as I drive by most gas stations. A few actually have fast food and a place an EV can plug in, like Shell on the Trans Canada at Brandon.

2. Grece wrote, “was that $40K inclusive with a patio of sorts?”

Nope. That was grass, berms and trees, lots of trees. So, now we have the lot ready for grass seed, berms formed and planted, and the cost was ~$10K. We did hire a bulldozer/box scraper setup to make the grade. The Chinese tiller was used to mow weeds for two years so the fill we used is now suitable for grass. Basically, we bought mud and manufactured topsoil. The Chinese tiller is still useful. It has a plough and can draw a wagon or run the alternator or a big pump.

3. Grece says:

In BC, ON or PQ, there would be a handsome subsidy

This is why you purchase said vehicle in Ontario or BC, duh!

4. Grece says:

It paid for itself.

How is that possible, did you make money with it?

So let me get this straight, you bought a tiller, to use for landscaping, to save you $40K. What landscaping did you do, with this behemoth tiller?

So someone quoted you $40K to push dirt around? or was that $40K inclusive with a patio of sorts?

I never heard of anyone using a tiller for landscaping purposes. I mainly use a landscape rake, box blade, power rake and tow roller I made myself.

Seems to me you have no clue on how to do proper landscaping.

5. Grece wrote, “Sans the subsidies/rebates available from the Canadian government. I often wonder how serious Robert would be in procuring an electric vehicle.”

As far as I know, there is no subsidy from the federal government and certainly not from the province. I’m in Manitoba, you see. In BC, ON or PQ, there would be a handsome subsidy because EVs just make sense and will save the provinces a ton of money in the long run. If you can switch to EVs it’s much easier to reduce the CO2 production of the whole economy. MB and SK are being obstinate about the “carbon” tax, but they will see the light. It’s really cool being an old guy and not having to pay for a grouse licence, a senior’s “conservation” fishing licence and soon, a carbon tax. I don’t enjoy paying taxes although I appreciate their purpose. I intend to enjoy my retirement.

6. Grece wrote, “why did you purchase two tillers?”

Uh, to till? I purchased one big one to do big jobs in a hurry and one small one to do small jobs very nicely. They both work but TLW is not interested in driving the big one. She did a few turns for fun but it’s hard to steer, dangerous, and scary. It paid for itself. We had quotations around $40K for the landscaping we wanted to do and now we’re almost done for about ¼ of that, so we’re $30K ahead and we had the fun of doing stuff. At my age, if I don’t do stuff, I’ll just drop dead, so why not?

7. Grece says:

If you admonish efficiencies so much Robert, then why did you purchase two tillers?

8. The Wiz wrote, “IN fact that only thing the Solo has going for it is its price is way under any other EV.

Then again that’s why you like it”

That’s a big part of it but then there’s the great efficiency. I think it’s a terrible waste to haul around a ton of stuff I don’t need for most of my little trips out into the world. Does one carry a 60 pound pack for a day-trip picking berries? No. Why should I carry around four extra seats, two extra doors, a wasteful and heavy internal combustion engine, and a very dangerous quantity of volatile fuel? It’s just foolish. Solo is good enough for 90%+ of my travels. That’s why I want it. Made in Canada, designed in Canada, EV, zero emissions, lower maintenance… all add to my calculations. There are a few negatives but they are minor compared to the awesome cost/benefit merits.

9. Grece says:

10. Grece says:

Why are you changing the subject Robert? What the hell is a “infernal combustion engine”?

I’m setting here discussing electric motors, and you go off on some tangent that has no bearing to the discussion. Of course, you cannot answer my questions, or you refuse and change the subject.

The juxtaposition of my claim was simply, there is forced-air cooling on the motor and oil-cooling unit, which would suck-up and become clogged with road grime, along with road salt invariably causing early failure.

The entire drive system is exposed to the elements and not protected in anyway. You cannot just drag an electric motor down the road that has zero NEMA or IP rating, and not expect to fail in the immediate future.

Here is another thought. What happens when all that road slush sprays up, with salt from off the road, refreezes then melts from said motor heat? I’ll leave that for your imagination since you live in a fantasy world.

11. wizard emiritus says:

“This is why it’s smart to drive electrically. ”

Perhaps if we are talking about one of the EV’s offered by the major automobile makers, but threre does not seem to be anything “Smart” about driving the EM Solo.

Then again that’s why you like it,

isn’t Mr. Cheapskate?

12. Grece wrote, “The motor in question has a rating of 88HP, which equals out to be 65621.6 watts! 65KW!!….is a lot of damn heat Robert”

Calm yourself, Grece, while I teach.

That kind of thinking would be correct for an infernal combustion engine. They need giant cooling systems and pump more heat into an exhaust. They are in the range of 30% efficient so 70% of the energy consumed is wasted as heat. The Solo EV, however has about 90% efficiency over a broad range of RPM and torque so the waste heat is much less. The vast majority of the electrical energy consumed is converted to mechanical energy, accelerating the car and pushing air out of the way. The toothed belt helps too because there’s no slippage even under acceleration. This is why it’s smart to drive electrically. Basically an ICE has to get rid of 7 times as much heat. Solo is even better because the low mass requires much less energy for acceleration, several times less.

13. Grece says:

Where? You don’t need oil-cooling on something that large dissipating only a few hundred watts.

Seriously Robert, you are becoming senile and losing neurons.

Few hundred watts?? The motor in question has a rating of 88HP, which equals out to be 65621.6 watts! 65KW!!….is a lot of damn heat Robert, and you call yourself a physics guy? What bunk!

Where is all that heat? Inside the motor. You cannot escape the second law of thermodynamics Robert.

You greenies want to shut down all forms of energy, and go solar and wind, but cannot understand physics or electromagnetism 101.

14. Grece wrote, “Fantasy Robert, you really do not live in the real world.”

The Solos running around Vancouver do live in the real world. They are not burning up motors nor wearing out belts or gears. They’ve travelled thousands of kilometres.

15. Grece wrote, “Oil cooling is mandatory for the motor, the manufacturer even states it.”

16. Grece says:

Nope, you are wrong Robert. It is 88% efficient, and that is at optimal conditions, you will not get that all the time.

Oil cooling is mandatory for the motor, the manufacturer even states it. Additionally, the motor was designed specially for a marine environment, using water to cool the oil, but the Bolo uses forced air. Where is the fan for this? Under the body sucking up road debris.

the motor is not sucking up dirt from the road.

Have you ever worked under a car Robert? You find all sorts of road debris don’t you?

Fantasy Robert, you really do not live in the real world.

17. Grece, in ignorance, wrote, “Road grime, sand, salt and other particulate matter will clog the motor in a hurry. The belt can easily slip of the toothed gear, leaving the driver stuck on the side of the road.”

Notice that the motor is 90% efficient so it needs very little cooling on cruising. 100 mile range at 40 miles per hour involves 2.5h to drain 16kWh, just 6.4kW. 10% of that is heating, so , just 640W. I don’t think cooling will be much of an issue and no, the motor is not sucking up dirt from the road. It’s well above the road and forward of the wheel. The wheel sweeps dust and dirt out the back of the car not towards the motor.

See Jerry show off his drive-train.

Of course, Solo is not an off-road vehicle and I will use it on gravel only rarely and at reduced speed. On normal asphalt/concrete roads dirt is rarely an issue as the passage of vehicles sweeps the surface clean.

One more thing:
    “Max Efficiency: 88%
    Thermal Cooling: Internal Fan
    Max Temperature: 180 Degrees Celsius (356 Degrees Fahrenheit)”

18. Grece says:

Have you ever seen a rugged industrial motor?

Does this look rugged?

Considering that the electric motor is oil-cooled, and has no NEMA / IP rating, I find your question ignorant. You just keep-on making assumptions one after the other, with no comprehension of what you are talking about.

The motor controller is at least IP65, but alas it’s warranty is for two-year, with a replacement cost of $2500. OUCH!

I would sure love to know Electra Meccanica’s warranty once one of it’s Bolo’s rolls off the lot. I mean, it wouldn’t be very hard to repair, but who wants to fix something on a relatively new vehicle?

Considering that your mechanical skills is lacking Robert, namely with the aggravation that simple tire and oil changes cause you, I would pass on this, for the sake of your own sanity.

19. Grece wrote, “With a two-year warranty on the electric motor, and a $5K replacement cost. The long term viability of the Bolo is questionable.”

Have you ever seen a rugged industrial motor? If they last two years they last decades. The usual mode of failure is a bearing. It gets replaced and you are good for years. Even an ICE may last a decade.

20. Grece says:

Doing simple maths, one initially spends $15K, and in two years has to outlay another 5K. GENIUS!

The Bolo be noisy

Listen to that whine

21. Grece says:

Regarding the spamming of hashtags…

#OCD

Now, I am almost as ancient and decrepit as you, Robert. Which means that I am not, really, au courant with this “hash-tag” thing. My vague understanding of the stuff is that 50% of hash-tags are used by President The Donald in an attempt to deflect impeachment proceedings, and the other 50% are used for bogus marketing reasons.

Looking at the OP, it appears that the latter intent is in play. I sort of gave up after the first ten or so.

Ever so enlightening, though.

#PogsonLies

23. Grece says:

I can think of two things that likely could happen. One, a large gas-guzzling SUV runs one over and flattens it like a bug. Second, one gets blow off the road due to the high winds and with only one door, the occupant is trapped in the vehicle and freezes to death.

24. kurkosdr says:

The license plate has been photoshopped, for some reason they want to hide the license plate. Really??

So, they used a photoshopped license plate to hide a fake license plate? I doubt this thing can have a real license plate, it has no type certification, plain and simple.

And even if it gets one, it will be rated as a tricycle without any crash-rating, but there will be doofuses like Pog who will buy this deathtrap thinking nobody will crash on them, ever, when they could have bought an EV which will be heavier but will actually protect their lives in a crash.

25. Grece says:

“Maybe that’s planned for next week.”

I rather doubt it, maybe Electra Meccanica doesn’t want the publicity.

“Maybe Greens and Beans doesn’t want the publicity….It is parked outside their business and draws lots of attention. Amen!”

What business doesn’t what publicity Robert? Careful, you are contradicting yourself again, are you aware of this? For the like of me, I have never seen someone contradict themselves with the span of a paragraph.

26. Grece wrote, “If this was Electa Meccanica’s very first sale, they should be making a big stink about it, and marketing the heck out of it, they are losing a lot of potential marketing in not doing so.”

Maybe that’s planned for next week. Maybe Greens and Beans doesn’t want the publicity.

UPDATE Leona reports they received the car last Wednesday and they love it. It is parked outside their business and draws lots of attention. Amen!

27. Grece says:

“Wonderful! Isn’t Solo the greatest invention since the wheel?”

Really Robert? It’s hardly innovative. A battery operated three-wheel has been around for what, probably as far back as the 19th century if I bothered looking.

“I think I’m going to feel like Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel…”

Who are you planning on shooting? What list are you building in anticipation like James Hodgkinson did.

28. Grece says:

Robert, that’s a repost, NOT A DIRECT post. On top of that, its just an image, connected to Electra Meccanica’s Instagram page.

I quote, “Repost from @bananalab who spotted one of our SOLOs in New Westminster.”

DERP, are you sure you are not related to Fifi Robert?

Where’ s the press release Robert? If this was Electa Meccanica’s very first sale, they should be making a big stink about it, and marketing the heck out of it, they are losing a lot of potential marketing in not doing so. They could do the “handing the keys” ceremony video and use it as promotional material.

Still with the Photoshopped license plate, which has me suspicious as all heck. I am wondering who did the photoshopping here. Beans and Greens?…for what purpose?

Maybe, just maybe, Electra Meccanica is covering up that the Bolo in question, is still owned and registered to them. I mean, why else would someone go through all the effort.

29. Grece wrote, “For all we know Robert, this vehicle is still registered and owned by Electra Meccanica and someone was out on a test drive”.

Yes, except that EMV sends out a guide for test-drives because they don’t want to lose a Solo and the simplest explanation is usually correct. EMV sold a Solo with many more to follow.

30. Grece wrote, “EMV posted about the delivery on FB.

No they didn’t. There is no post about such an event occurring. “

Here’s the link, nitwit. Notice, the URI: F A C E B O O K . COM…

31. Grece says:

EMV posted about the delivery on FB.

No they didn’t. There is no post about such an event occurring.

There is a listing on their Instagram feed, but not on Facebook you dimwit.

In fact, they say nothing about the unit it being sold. All I can see if a Bolo with a photoshopped license plate.

Reviewing the Greens and Beans Deli Facebook page, there are no pictures, or mentions of them receiving a Bolo.

For such an event to occur, there should have been much fanfare one would think, from both parties involved.

Now, being the studious detective that I am, I suppose I could call the Deli directly, and ask them. Surely they could convey some information about the purchase.

Additionally, I could perform a Certified Plate Search via the Ministry of Transportation since I know the plate number.

For all we know Robert, this vehicle is still registered and owned by Electra Meccanica and someone was out on a test drive.

32. DrLoser wrote, ““The most disappointed customer” would be equally as plausible.”

Nope. The disappointed customer would not show off to their friends. Did you see how that lady drove off? She loves her wheels.

Grece foams at the mouth…

Hardly, Robert. Contradicting your evident stupidities doesn’t really count as “foaming at the mouth.”

Foaming at the mouth is something that a senile worthless old miser in Manitoba would do in order to convince himself that he can:
    (a) Control the household finances. (Clue, Bob: you cannot. TLW wears both pairs of trousers, and drives an SUV.)
    (b) Buy a shiny new Red Thing without actually plunking down $250 in advance.

But, of course, we are all wrong. You have, indeed, plunked down that $250, haven’t you?

Tell you what, you ancient dissimulating freak: we don’t need the number. We don’t need details of the contract.

We just need the date you signed up for the deposit.

Fair enough, you hopeless old lying fraud?

One of your four former careers was being a (completely inadequate, uncredited, and basically repulsive) “teacher,” Robert.

Would any real teacher use the phrase “the happiest customer” when referring to somebody (it doesn’t really matter who) at the head of the line?

Be honest, you senile old fool. “The most disappointed customer” would be equally as plausible.

Then again, you have a bathetic habit of extrapolating graphs off four data points — I imagine that a total and blindingly obvious misrepresentation of a single data point should come naturally to you.

Tell us all again how you have a $250 down-payment on one of these … things.

You don’t, do you?

35. EMV posted about the delivery on FB. That’s where I got the link. The secrecy’s all in Grece’s head. He must have a brain transplant from Trump.

36. Grece foams at the mouth over a licence plate instead of noticing a sharp shiny new vehicle performing well.

37. Grece says:

“prestige” plates Robert? You’re blind. The video clearly shows a rear tag. Use some of that “free” healthcare you got, and get your prescription adjusted, while you are there get a mental eval too.

The tag reads as EG8 55N

Funny thing, Electra Mechnica or Jerry never mention the delivery. Why the all the HUSH – HUSH?

38. kurkosdr says:

Notice the lack of a real license plate. Wonder how long it will take for the owner to be able to fit a license plate on the thing.

Did Solo file the paperwork for certification yet?

I ‘ll let Grece take it on from here.