Latest Report From A Solo EV Test-driver

“The Solo feels like a complete and finished vehicle.

I would have bought the pre-production version on the spot if I could have.

Solo is incredibly easy to drive. It feels solid. No squeaks or rattles. The steering is precise and the brakes work well. The suspension is firm, but not jarring. The car is quick, but doesn’t feel out-of-control. No odd handling or twitchiness. It’s comfortable and easy to see out of. When you look in the right mirror, you see the right lane and the car behind you. When you look in the left mirror, you see the left lane and that same car. Yes, there’s some whine. Yes, it’s noticeable, but not obtrusive. In fact, it’s all there is to remind you you’re driving an electric car. Well, that and the absence of a roaring engine.”

See I thought I liked the Solo. Then I took a test drive.
I’ve only seen one report of a test-drive where a guy reported he didn’t like the Solo EV. He was out to lunch. This thing handles precisely, accelerates well, has great visibility and costs about half what the larger EVs cost. It’s perfect for me and I want mine now!

UPDATE When the reviewer finished his tale, I added the bit after the … above-right. It’s about what I thought, nearly the perfect car for what I want, tootling around free of a lot of maintenance and cost in a very efficient vehicle. Last but not least, Canadian certification is a done deal, and Greens and Beans received their Solo. So, the jinx is broken. Solos are about to flood the land, slowly at first and then a wave of adoption.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Latest Report From A Solo EV Test-driver

1. Grece wrote, “Where is the evidence Robert?”

See this picture of Greens and Beans Solo on the streets of Vancouver. Isn’t it beautiful/cute/efficient?

2. Grece says:

Where is the evidence Robert?

3. Kurkosdr wrote, “Those “larger EVs” are actually crash-rated and will protect your life if some drunk driver crashes his car on you.”

That’s true but irrelevant. I don’t intend to be such a target. I drive defensively and not aggressively. Solo is very nimble and gives great visibility. It’s a good platform for me. It’s far superior to walking, cycling or motorcycling too.

One of the “best” times to be killed by a drunk driver is around 2 AM when the bars close… Guess when I never drive? Well, mostly never… I don’t think I’ve ever met a drunk driver in the morning in sunshine when I’m most likely to be driving on the highway. I also skip rush hour and city driving except for brief forays. See? There are reasons I’ve never had a collision. TLW, OTOH… Sigh.

4. Kurkosdr says:

But if you want a deathtrap that doesn’t even classify as a car, there is always the Reva GWiz.

5. Grece says:

There’s been other news filling the channel.

Oh….what news is that Robert? I keep seeing fluff, but no money shot so to speak.

6. Grece wrote, “Its almost July which rolls the alleged production into the beginning of Q3, with not one production unit sold and/or shipped to a paying customer.”

I don’t know whether or not there’s been a delay or perhaps they are going to apply a federal rather than a provincial sticker… but the delivery may well have happened. There’s been other news filling the channel.

Always interesting to hear what prospective customers say about these new-fangled electro-mechanical replacements for horses and carts, isn’t it? Why, that thread had at least one desperate plea from somebody called “Pogson,” who I presume is no relation. But my favourite was:

Well, since I can’t have a test-drive any time soon, I’m left to imagining ingress and egress. I imagine if I step far into the cab, rotate the lead foot, slide my butt as far as I can, and lift the trailing leg, my stomach will not intervene, something like getting out of bed in the morning… I think egress will be easier since I can put out one leg and stand upright on it close to the vehicle. I think I can do this… 😉

No shit, Sherlock.

Back to the horse and cart, I think.

8. Grece says:

It’s perfect for me and I want mine now!

Sorry Robert, you won’t be getting yours anytime soon. Its almost July which rolls the alleged production into the beginning of Q3, with not one production unit sold and/or shipped to a paying customer.

9. Grece says:

The report you mention Robert, is spot on, you are just too delusional to realize it.

This guy looks a lot like you Robert: http://soloowners.net/attachment.php?thumbnail=353

Qubit hails from Washington State, perhaps he worked for Microsoft?