Possibilities

Posted by Electra Meccanica on Friday, March 31, 2017

“It fit! Long legs were the issue, but once in, I couldn’t touch the firewall. The cabin was roomy and comfortable. The stomach, though oversized was comfortably accommodated!”

Any grumbling that EMV’s Solo EV is too small are blown away by reports from actual occupants of the cockpit like this guy or test-drivers. I’ve only read of one who had many complaints afterwards. This car is designed to be driven by people who don’t want to mess around at gas-stations, service-stations or any other kind of station but home and work. It will also work for me. I have a home but my work is there too. I want the freedom to come and go at the lowest cost possible and it’s hard to beat a Solo in cost per unit distance.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Possibilities

1. Deaf Spy says:

…The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table…

That was one really good match. Classy. It shouldn’t be mentioned in a discussion for an inferior contraption like Solo. 🙂

2. Grece says:

Well Robert, really all that information is exciting, but more importantly, the fact of the matter is that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table.

But it’s all good.

3. Grece wrote, “generic versus say, brand name parts?”

Generic means of a certain kind, say size, shape, capability, not necessarily brand. Brands can change their specs and possibly be backwardly incompatible or unavailable.

4. Grece wrote, “welding tabs on the 18650 batteries?”

I’m a welder. I’ve done spot-welding before. I might also solder such cells. Both technologies work with the right care and technique. It’s probably not worth it though. By the time my battery needs replacement, EMV will have parts available at a reasonable price, I’m sure.

5. Grece wrote, “The tires are 175/55r16, which is a rare bird and not easy to source locally.”

That’s a standard size tire. Actually, EMV uses different tires for front and rear: “All Season tire 155-60 R15 (Front)/175-55 R15 (Rear).”

KalTire has them. Price is reasonable and weight is much easier for me to handle compared to the monsters on the SUV.

6. Grece says:

The Solo has a lot of generic parts.

Generic? As in generic versus say, brand name parts? Hopefully you are aware, that generic parts are slightly inferior in design and cheaper. But since you buy hacksaw blades from China, that’s right up your alley isn’t it?

Considering the Bolo was built “allegedly” by a race-car driver, I find ther term “generic” disingenuous and down-right erroneous.

To start, the brake system is built by Wilwood, on their website they state, Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems. Doesn’t sound to “generic” to me.

The tires are 175/55r16, which is a rare bird and not easy to source locally.

The batteries are custom built, remember that machine that Jerry was thrilled to show off in the promotional video, welding tabs on the 18650 batteries? I don’t suppose you have one of those lying around in your garage do you? Perhaps a spot-welder would work, I dare you to attempt that though.

7. Grece wrote, ” You can walk in with a briefcase full of cash, tell Jerry you want a BOLO right now, painted in red mind you and I am most certainly 200% that he will not sell you one….PERIOD.”

That’s true. They are only selling to BC residents near Vancouver at the moment and they only have a few units to sell. I’m not going to fly to Vancouver and wait until my number comes up. He did offer to deliver a prototype personally for $5million though…

8. Grece says:

Tell you what Robert, I will cash in some of my stocks and give you enough to purchase a Solo, along with a plane ticket to Vancouver. You can walk in with a briefcase full of cash, tell Jerry you want a BOLO right now, painted in red mind you and I am most certainly 200% that he will not sell you one….PERIOD.

I will also hire a film crew to record the deal for promotional posterity.

Now if you DO NOT jump at this chance, then you are not serious about purchasing an electric car and should just stare daily, at your signed picture instead, because that’s all you are ever going to get.

9. Grece wrote, “how will you repair your BOLO when it goes south?”

The Solo has a lot of generic parts. The battery may well last longer than I do as well as the other parts. It’s just not a concern until something important breaks. As I’ve shown, I’m adaptable and able to repair just about anything except the windshield. The truly unique parts are probably the least likely to fail the way I drive, you know, between the lines and below the speed-limit.

10. Grece says:

Hiring is way cheaper than owning an SUV that sits idle most of the time.

But you whine about the cost of delivering wood chips.

11. Grece wrote, “why would Electra Meccanica delete Facebook comments?”

Why are proud soon to be Solo-owners bashing Solo? It seems strange to follow a revolutionary new product or to buy it only to bash it. What’s with that? Shouldn’t consumers just post a review and move on or simply not buy the product? Why hang around and constantly bash new visitors over the head with issues that may be of no interest to them like prototypes having only one working door or the specifications changing over time as the prototypes are tweaked or schedules slipping due to no fault of EMV? When I bought my pickup from Chevrolet, it took about two months to get delivery. Did I spend that time griping or anticipating? What’s reasonable? Did EMV ever promise to be perfect? Nope. They promised to develop and deliver a car perfect for a narrow niche in which millions of drivers operate. It seems purchasers and the general public should be more appreciative.

12. Grece wrote, “I dare you tow ‘A’ trailer with your Bolo”.

It’s probably possible but not the intention of anyone I know to do that. If I needed to tow something I can either use the old SUV or hire someone. Hiring is way cheaper than owning an SUV that sits idle most of the time. I might do that a few times a year and it might cost a few $hundred compared to $thousands for actually owning the SUV. The last time the SUV was used to haul something bulky/heavy was last July. TLW bought a bunch of cedars in 3 gallon pots. For the quantity she bought she could have hired a truck for a few hours and got the job done in one trip instead several. I did propose buying a trailer to augment the freight-hauling capability of the SUV but TLW did not want something “useless” hanging around. She’s not identified the SUV as useless and probably won’t until she sees my Solo in the driveway.

PS – I forgot the SUV was used to bring home the new tiller in a carton a few weeks ago… So, that’s twice a year we used it’s capacity.

13. Grece says:

Hey Robert, I find flying_solo in the forums very educational, don’t you?

His questions, http://soloowners.net/showthread.php?tid=90&pid=567#pid567 are just awesome!

For example, the two that got me thinking is OBDII compliance and the Supply Chain list, namely “What are the current plans for distribution, warranty, service, parts, etc?”

Those are two, IMPORTANT items to address. Especially the On-board diagnostics (OBDII) point, as that is required for any sort of vehicle in the U.S. But since the Bolo could be classified as a motorcycle, then CAN BUS protocol would apply.

So the major question is, how will you repair your BOLO when it goes south?

Electra Meccanica could possibly sell a few hundred, but happens when they go under or decide to run off with investors money and retire in some country that has no extradition rights? Where will you source your parts, Alibaba??

One last thought, lets pray you never get blown off the road and wedged on top of the only operable door. Being stuck in a EV death-trap in sub-zero temperatures would make headlines, would it not?

14. Grece says:

Hey Robert, why would Electra Meccanica delete Facebook comments?

Jerry doesn’t seem to be too response, or even care to be for the alleged buyers, don’t you think?

15. Grece says:

Yes, it’s a tremendous waste of resources.

Tells us that, when you try to bring something home from the store with your Bolo. I may not drive my Superduty everyday, but I can sure as hell tow a 5-ton trailer if I wanted to. I dare you tow ‘A’ trailer with your Bolo, if and when, you never receive it.

16. DrLoser wrote, “are you telling us that the SUV sits in your garage all day?”

Yes, it’s a tremendous waste of resources. It’s driven less than an hour most days yet costs $thousands per annum. Hence, Solo looks good. We could own two Solos for the price of one SUV.

My SUV conveniently spends HOURS parked in my garage on a daily basis.

We were under the impression that the SUV belonged to TLW, Robert. Do please correct us on this one.

We already know, because you have told us, that TLW is a monstrous carbuncle on the precious essences of our Green Planet. This is sad, but possibly amenable to reparation.

Now, are you telling us that the SUV sits in your garage all day? Or that you have two SUVs … a Hers’n’His, as it were?

This car is designed to be driven by people who don’t want to mess around at gas-stations, service-stations or any other kind of station.

Could be, Robert. I doubt it, but could be.

Judging by the photograph, it’s designed for short fat idiots who don’t need much head-room and have already had both knees replaced. Lovely smile on the male dolly bird’s face, though. At least 24 teeth.

19. Grece says:

This, coming from the man, that wastes a precocious amount of time on things that never come to be. Server boards, Chinese tillers, solar, electric cars, etc…

Has it ever occurred to you Robert, that you are a hypocrite of the n’th magnitude?

20. Grece says:

Lets re-read what was stated, by you Robert.

You used the word, “station” not “garage” two rather different things, wouldn’t you agree? In fact, you never used the word “garage” in the original post. So why are you getting all huffy about it?

21. Grece, revealing a deep misunderstanding of parallel processing, wrote, “Robert, you are undeniably failing to realize that charging times takes HOURS for any electric vehicle”.

Guess, what? My SUV conveniently spends HOURS parked in my garage on a daily basis. If it were a Solo instead, doesn’t it occur to you that charging could take place at the same time, eliminating the imaginary problem for the commuter? Further, with the ICEd commuter, one has to leave earlier or return later to make that foul-smelling pit-stop for fuel. That’s time the commuter never gets back. Over a lifetime, what’s it worth? That’s about three days of life spent pumping fuel and paying for it while the Solo driver will be living his life. If you were on your deathbed, don’t you think the last three days would be precious? Those are the same three days you wasted pumping fuel.

22. Grece says:

Robert, you are undeniably failing to realize that charging times takes HOURS for any electric vehicle, not to imply that the SOLO is a vehicle in any sense of the word, as it is not.

However, taking HOURS for a recharge over MINUTES for liquid fueling any other vehicle, and you can see how ridiculous you sound, as you are “messing around” for hours as opposed to minutes.

For me, messing around at the fuel station is always a good experience. You can buy Gummy Bears, chewing gum, Lotto tickets, pop and sometimes even food. Is your garage stocked with Gummy bears Robert, or is it still filled with junk??