All over North America, license plates are required on automobiles allowed on the public roads. This helps identify vehicles/people for police, buyers, suppliers, etc. The usual plates are some random string of numerals and letters. However, my province, Manitoba, allows “prestige plates“. Since I’m going to proudly drive around in my bright red Solo next year, I thought it only fitting that I should have a special plate, front and back.
The application process involves filling out a form and paying a fee of $100 CAD. There are of course restrictions. The plate must not offend public decency, or be more than 7 letters and numerals, or resemble the stock licence plates which have a form AAA NNN. One can submit three choices in order of preference. I’m terribly poor at making arbitrary choices. Perhaps readers can help…
Currently, some of my ideas include:
- ELECTRIC (one too many characters)
- SOLO (might work if I happen to be the first in Manitoba)
- REDRIDER (again, too many characters)
- SMALLEV (that could work)
- ELECTRA (yes)
- 16KWH (the capacity of the battery – probably not OK)
- J1772 (the plug-in standard, probably not OK)
- EV1 (probably not OK)
Well, you get the idea. What should I have on my plates?