Canada Waking Up To The Potential Of EVs

“So far, electric vehicles — small cars packed with expensive technology — are not a big money-maker for the car companies. They prefer the profit margins on thirsty SUVs containing technology paid for decades ago.

No wonder Canadian electric car sales remain low.

According to BNEF, a trend to improving battery technology and falling costs, combined with higher costs for diesel and gasoline cars, will mean electrics will match the cost of internal combustion engines by about 2025.

As is usual with such long-range predictions, the exact dates can only be an estimate, but the direction of the trend is clear: People are going to be using less gas.”

See OPEC can’t stop the slow, painful death of the oil economy
This may be news to some but many of us have figured it out long ago, ICEd (Internal Combustion Engine) cars are a bottomless pit of money: sticker price, taxes, insurance, registration, fuel, oil-changes, service, repairs, replacement parts and labour. Consider my current car, for example. It cost about $25K used. We’ve had it about 10 years now and it costs $1600 per annum for fuel, $200 per annum for oil-changes, $1500 per annum for repairs to keep it going, $1000 per annum for insurance (based on the as-new price…), and $200 per annum for wear on tires. I rotate my winter/summer tires in my garage. I won’t count the repairs we haven’t done because some luxurious feature quit… We’ve spent $4500 per annum for the privilege of supporting Big Oil. Some of these costs would be similar with an EV but fuel costs would drop 80% or more, oil-changes would disappear forever, fewer moving parts would mean fewer repairs/replacements. I figure a Solo EV would be a better buy instantly because of the lower sticker price, having only 3 wheels and being much lighter in weight. Surely it would cost much less over five years. Even offsetting battery replacement every decade against engine replacement, I would be way ahead because the Solo EV has only a small battery compared to some EVs. On top of this, IT’S MADE IN CANADA! On top of this, it emits ZERO CARBON. Wake up, Canada. The solution to your transportation problems is imminent. You don’t have to wait until 2025. The government of Canada wants you to wake up by 2018.

This entry was posted in family, politics, technology and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

131 Responses to Canada Waking Up To The Potential Of EVs

I would close with L’habit ne fait pas le moine, but in your case, I think La barbe ne fait pas le philosophe, would suit you better.

Very classy indeed, Grece. Rouge, le plus bel type de rouge. Rouge que signifie, peut etre.

And here’s the nub, after about 120 posts or so. Grece has got your nasty cheap little mindset defined in a single para, hasn’t he?

Well, obviously.

But you’re not going to do that, are you, Robert? Here, let me help you. The capital loss would be around $4,000, say. Which would easily be offset by your annual expenses for an “errand car.”

But, hey, don’t let Grece and me expose you as a miserable old fraud who spouts total nonsense that he doesn’t even believe in himself.

But not all. Let us wander down this path, shall we?

I will leave to one side the idea of communal ownership of a second-hand Nissan Leaf. You and three or four buddies could make this work quite nicely. Assuming you have buddies.

I’m still recommending a land yacht, which would draw power for absolutely no money at all.

But, failing that, you could do what I would do. Buy yourself a Black & Decker Strimmer with a Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, and stick it on the back of a bicycle. Add a couple of panniers, which is probably double the amount of luggage space you would find in the Solo (not that you can find anything in a product that will not be delivered to your house until 2020, if at all)

Be creative! Use your engineering skills!

Oh, and Red. Red is good. Signed Red, better.

Boiled any good frogs recently, old man?

4. Grece says:

I agree a Leaf would be better if we were a young family but we’re not.

Robert, just admit it, you are not really interested in solar energy, nor an electric vehicle. If it were me, I would get a used electric vehicle, run that for a few seasons then sell it when the Solo is delivered.

You so remind me of them guys at the bar, always talking about what they may do and not actually do what they are speaking of.

Hope beats experience every time, Robert.

It’s sad. Red, but sad. Actually very sad.

Get a backbone and fight on behalf of your inner experience! Close that Pandora’s Box!

6. The Wiz wrote about “your cheap EV Solution.” as if cost-saving was not meritorious. Solo is not only cheap but it’s more efficient and performs better than many other transportation solutions. Concerns about parts/service are out of place if Solo is a second car.

So you see Robert, in the mind of most Canadians, electric vehicles will not simply help the climate and that the practicality of electric vehicles, is suspect and left for want.

But those studies are not at all fair, Grece! Why, Robert himself has wandered around and counted something like 100,000 single-occupancy cars (no cite needed: just check his authoritative survey below), and concluded, in his magisterial way, that the only possible conclusion to draw from this is that (on the basis that 80% of said drivers are chewing the carpet in an attempt to avoid their desperate fate) that there are ~80,000 sold, wrapped and delivered actual immediate future customers for a defective electric tricycle … thing.

Who are we to suggest that this is merely the maniac prattling of a decrepit old loser who secretly realises that nobody in the Prairies listens to him and is gutted by the realisation that he has just lost $250 on a Ponzi scheme?

We are as nothing compared to Red. Red is good. Red with a signature is even better. Red, red, red.

Red beats actual evidence — every time.

8. Grece says:

Robert, how could you!

Inefficiency is your number one skill! How can you just turn your back on your fellow Canadians? I am sure they would be receptive to the idea of the Solo. Just give it a try ol’ chap.

Academics and politics are not your world, or were NEVER in your world Robert? Which is it??

See, I am confused, as you are always harping on about Trump and bringing up the fact, that you taught physics and ran a Windows computer lab at Nunavut schools. I am would have thought this would have been right up your alley so to speak.

9. Grece says:

Hey Robert!

I was reading two studies today, from your neck of the world about Canadians and electric vehicles.

The first study, The Potential Evolution of EVs to the Consumer Mainstream in Canada: A Geodemographic Segmentation Approach. The survey polled more than 20,000 Canadian households, asking questions about consumer perception of electric vehicles. The questions ranged from if consumers felt plugging in at home was practical to how much more consumers would pay to save on maintenance.

It found that buyers in the Greater Toronto Area thought that plugging in at home was not practical at a higher rate than people in less dense cities like Edmonton, AB.

The second study, Driving EV Uptake in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. That study of 1,000 gas vehicle owners found that nearly half of owners surveyed did not believe that switching to EVs would help mitigate climate change.

10. Grece pointed us at Manitoba EV association. Those guys are very inefficient, relying on face to face meetings rather than the web. They do seem connected to politics and academia. That’s not my world.

11. The Wiz wrote, “Your focus on an EV whose sole tangible advantage would be that it is half the cost of its competition shows where you true concerns lie.”

Yes, I’d rather have two EVs than one near-replacement of our SUV for less money. Most times TLW and I go on different errands so it’s silly to have one expensive vehicle instead of two economical ones. We rarely carry a passenger except family and they all have their own vehicles. I agree a Leaf would be better if we were a young family but we’re not.

12. Grece says:

Perhaps, just perhaps, Robert needs some camaraderie, in the sense of electric vehicles.

Yearly membership is $20 per person.

Seems like a reasonable offer, don’t a be a pump-n-dump nimby Robert, layout some cash and share your beliefs with your local brethren!

13. wizard emiritus says:

“I believe renewable energy is the wave of the future and EVs are happening. I want to be part of that wave and I want to happen.”

Fair enough. A used Leaf however would get you an EV that is not only in production, but which will be supported by a major manufacturer. Your focus on an EV whose sole tangible advantage would be that it is half the cost of its competition shows where you true concerns lie.

14. wizard emiritus says:

” Think of it as a motivation to improve my life. ”

Actually we think of it as evidence of the lengths you will go to to be able to use your cheap EV Solution.

Yes. I even got a signed photograph of a red solo. It’s very red.

Which reminds me of a joke, Robert.

Q: How many Surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Fish.

Or, to update this joke to the modern day:

Grece: Can you show us an agreement of sorts, akin to a contract or a terms of service, etc?
    Pogson: Red. Very red. Signed in blood, in fact.

I’ve never really thought of you as having much in common with the Surrealist Movement, Robert, but obviously I wasn’t paying enough attention.

16. Grece wrote, “When you put down your “deposit” for said vehicle, did Electra Meccanica offer you an agreement of sorts, per se, akin to a contract or a terms of service, etc..??”

Yes. I even got a signed photograph of a red solo. It’s very red.

17. DrLoser wrote, “The only reason you are still banging on about this fiasco is that you hate yourself for falling for such a ridiculous scheme, isn’t it?”

Nope. I believe renewable energy is the wave of the future and EVs are happening. I want to be part of that wave and I want to happen. In the meantime I will have a bit of time to bide planting stuff, hunting, fishing and welding.

18. DrLoser wrote, “rather than jamming your decrepit old body into an uncomfortable shoddy cockpit, three inches above the road.”

Full-sized men have no difficulty getting into or sitting in a Solo. The main difficulty I will have is lifting the feet that high. With practice and/or losing a little weight I will do it too. Think of it as a motivation to improve my life. I think the road-clearance is a bit more than three inches but not much more. The chief problem for me is that the rows of the battery are just below the seat so I have to lift my feet a few inches higher than I usually do.

19. DrLoser wrote, “for ElectraMeccanica,

Chuckle. Giggle. It’s all good.”

Yes, it is. EMV’s a start-up. That’s the way they go, living on a shoestring. You’ll notice EMV is still in operation. The investors have faith even if DrLoser has none.

But, hey, Robert — amongst your many unparalleled skills (and your four wildly successful careers), one thing that stands out is your unparalleled ability to dissect, as a completely unqualified accountant who somehow achieves the level of a savant in the field, the various quarterly reports of Microsoft.

And let’s face it, in this respect you have been magnificent. In the sense that you have repeatedly forecast their inevitable doom on the basis of quarterly reports alone. And obviously Microsoft could have done better than to raise their stock price from circa $30 to circa $60 in four or five years.

You were right! Or, no, the other thing.

Pat yourself on the back. Now. Check out the filing for ElectraMeccanica,

Chuckle. Giggle. It’s all good.

Do please keep us all up to date with that “Dragon’s Den” thing, however, Robert.

I’m far too lazy to look up the consequent yucks on YouTube for myself.

In short, mate, you’ve been scammed. Pure and simple.

Kiss goodbye to that $250.

But I live to serve. May I interest you in a land yacht? Basically, it works on the same principles. You can even buy one with three wheels and minimal luggage space (although you’d have to accept a comfortable, cantilevered, sitting position, rather than jamming your decrepit old body into an uncomfortable shoddy cockpit, three inches above the road.)

Best of all, wind is both very ecological and also free!

Also, it would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive.

Horses are still used rural.

Well, obviously, Fifi.

Otherwise, you would be short of an arse to talk out of.

Even a vague description of your sales order contract might allay our fears that yet one more gullible senior citizen in Winnipeg has — yet again — been cheated of his monthly remittance, Robert.

(The sad triumph of hope over experience!)

Grece is your friend and ally here. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the internet. But I suspect that Grece has legal resources far beyond your pitiful and ancient comprehension.

Or, apparently, selling a pyramid scheme to hopeless senile fools like you at $250 a pop, Robert.

You don’t have a clue about business models, do you? (Hyphenated, or otherwise.) Nor do you have a clue about snake-oil salesmen taking that precious $250 out of your palsied ancient hands, and never giving it back.

26. Grece says:

Dear Robert,

I would be willing to offer my paralegal eagle eye, if they did, and if so, I am wondering one thing. Was the deposit used for a spot in line, for an opportunity to buy, or was it used for something else? If that is the case, then I am of the legal opinion that Electra Meccanica would owe you nothing in return if they went tits up, so to speak.

In layman’s terms, Electra Meccanica would owe you nothing, as it was a risk, through and through.

Your thoughts on this Robert? I copy of your sales order/contract would be amicable to the discussion.

27. Grece says:

Well, its been what, two, excuse me, three years now to get this cult following a go. How many loyal cult followers has Jerry attracted? A meager 500, if that.

There is no “following” only ignorant folk, all too willing to burn $250 to as to make themselves feel good.

28. Grece wrote, “95% of U.S. passenger miles traveled will be served by on-demand autonomous electric vehicles”.

Well, that mode of transportation will certainly take share away from taxis and airplanes and buses and trains but it may not take much share away from folks who are willing to spend tens of $thousands on a vehicle and feed it $ per mile for a decade. Many of those people value flexibility over cost/efficiency. A good many will value Solo for increased flexibilty. I’m old. I remember having to plan trips around stops for the kids and the wife and others… It was very wasteful of time and money. It’s so much more convenient to have multiple vehicles to take care of multiple uses. Where I live, the overhead from fleet to pickup point could be 15 miles and half an hour. Folks are not going to be thrilled by that. Jumping into a Solo that needs no warmup is better for many.

In my experience, it takes a year or two for a new concept of vehicle to gain a following. With the Internet, Solo could do that in one year easily. I see demand rising for years to come and other suppliers entering the same market fighting for share. As you know, the first entrant has an advantage. So, EMV is good if they don’t mess it up. They could have a monopoly for a year or two and expansion only takes months…

Grece also wrote, “Kids today cannot afford homes, they also lease vehicles for the same reason”.

I don’t know of any kid who can’t own a home these days. My kids have ~30 cousins. I think all own homes but a few. It’s the principal investment of many young people. Interest rates are very low and educated employed people are good risks for lenders. A few are professionals who can pay cash for homes and still find other ways to spend money.

That view is shared by collectors of the statistics.

“More apartments are expected to become vacant next year in Winnipeg. In fact, the region’s vacancy rate is likely to sit at its highest level in almost two decades – a 3% rise.

The latest forecast from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, which came after Bank of Canada’s rate cut last month, predicts a continuous move by renters to home ownership.”

29. DrLoser wrote, “What is your guy spending?”

It’s a different business-model entirely. EMV appears to want to make money selling cars, not fixing them. The Solo is cheaper to design and to build and to maintain as a result of a minimal amount of “proprietary” stuff. Those other makers make themselves the sole source of supply and they can give away the cars for $free when they can charge what they want for parts. What consumer checks the prices of parts before buying the cars, eh? Yes, Solos will need fixing but apart from the body and a few other pieces, most of it can be repaired by replacing cheap parts with cheap parts. EMV will have service stations but they expect to see the car once a year for a checkup not four times a year for payday.

Every consumer can do the maths the way they want but Solo should win whether they count the purchase price+taxes+insurance+oil+fuel/energy+tires… and compare that with the benefit of hauling one person from A to B many times and I see Solo as a winner. There are hundreds who are willing to buy based on specs, like me, but there will be many thousands when the early adopters share their experiences, because EVs work and Solo will work. I think unless certification hangs up somehow, Solo is a winner. It’s a good product with a good business-plan. It is low-budget but I can accept that as long as Solo is filled mostly with COTS parts and it is. It still breaks even for me in a few years whether the price is $10K or $20K. I’m retired. I will be able to travel more and spend less with Solo. QED.

Grece there is one problem with TaaS idea. It does not work that well in rural. It works inside cities quite well.

Horses are still used rural. Yes looking at how the horse went does suggest that rural and edge of cities will not be TaaS for a long time. Its why pizza delivery has a coverage area and if you are outside that you have to drive in. There is a response time problem.

Grece the picture you looked at was city. Rural picture shows differences. Those difference will apply to TaaS application as well.

Solo like item can make sense to travel to edge of TaaS coverage area. TaaS can result in times like Solo not needing massive ranges. Please note the Solo is design that it batteries can be changed. So the new liquid batteries being looked at for electric cars can be fitted after market to solo.

Almost all knowledge is relevant to something, Robert. Even the ability to count the number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin is useful to people who want angels as pets and would like to train them in the fine arts of the Terpsichorean Muse.

However, your basic knowledge of the physics is completely irrelevant to absolutely everything we have discussed here.

Do you claim that we have been dismissing the virtues of electrically powered vehicles? We haven’t. You may have noticed the Nissan Leaf cropping up in discussion, regularly.

Do you claim that we have been dismissing the argument that EVs will take over in ten to twenty years? (With an artificial intelligence as a driver, of course. Not with a wet-ware dimwit.) We haven’t. You may have noticed Grece commenting on TaaS.

Nobody can predict the future, Robert, but we can all agree that Nissan and Toyota and Mitubishi and Ford and Tesla and the list goes on are well-positioned to make eco-friendly inroads into that future. Because Nissan and Toyota and Mitsubishi and Ford and Tesla are spending tens of billions in R&D, in marketing, in supply chains, in you name it in order to make this work. What is your guy spending?

Why, he’s spending “hundreds of deposits of $250.” Sure, that sounds like a recipe for going up against the big guys.

Admit it, Robert. The only think that is motivating you here is that nagging feeling you have, that you may never see that $250 again.

Which, incidentally, backs up the “triumph of hope over experience” thing. Or “once bitten, twice shy” — please do not pretend that you have no idea what that means, Robert.

You do this about once a year. One year a Sears/Roebuck roto-tiller. The next year a Chinese tractorette. The next year a nonexistent “ARM SuperMicroServer” with added PoKeBeef!

And this year it’s an electric tricycle that practically nobody wants.

Truly, the [not necessarily sad, if like me you enjoy a good laugh at the expense of the mentally deficient] triumph of hope over experience.

32. Grece wrote, “I do not see Electra Meccanica having enough steam to continue past five years.”

Of course not. EMV will have to evolve to survive. They went from a prototype based on Corbin Sparrow to Solo inside of two years. They will attempt a new product every year. If they scale up that should be easy.

33. Grece says:

Actually Robert, Electra Meccanica is very late in this game. Why would anyone want to own a vehicle, when there is TaaS.

By 2030, within 10 years of regulatory approval of autonomous vehicles (AVs), 95% of U.S. passenger miles traveled will be served by on-demand autonomous electric vehicles owned by fleets, not individuals, in a new business model we call “transportas-a-service” (TaaS).

Look at a picture of a New York street in 1900, and it’s 90+% horses. Look at the same street in 1914 and it’s 90+% cars. If that can happen 100 years ago, I have zero doubt that this change can be made that quickly. The capacity of the world for industrial production is staggering when the motivation is strong. A 10x reduction in transportation cost is extremely strong motivation.

Kids today cannot afford homes, they also lease vehicles for the same reason, so TaaS makes perfect sense in the long-run. I do not see Electra Meccanica having enough steam to continue past five years.

34. The Wiz wrote, “maintained running without having to pay its manufacturer another dime, even long after its has been discontinued by its manufacturer.”

EMV’s strategy appears to be to ride the wave of adoption of EVs and develop a series of more diverse vehicles. I expect they wiil have good opportunities for decades as ICEd vehicles die off and new markets emerge. The high margin on Solo is good only for a year or two as other can flood the same markets. Ultimate survival will depend on competivity.

35. wizard emiritus says:

two Other observed facts that are relevant to your evaluation of the Solo:

1) If the product manages to go into production, it will be the CHEAPEST available vehicle of its type by half.

2) The Solo’s being made from off the shelf parts will presumably allow your solo (if you actually take delivery of one) to be maintained running without having to pay its manufacturer another dime, even long after its has been discontinued by its manufacturer.

In short your hope is the hope of a miser for a potential way to save money and make what is spent last as long as possible, regardless of the gyrations that the miser in question geeds to go through to do so.

36. Wiz, the high efficiency appeals to people who care about efficiency. As the most efficient vehicle it can have a large share with those consumers. This, in part has collected hundreds of bids. Having a backlog is important to surviving start-up. The extreme efficiency means Solo is capable of meeting the needs of many solo commuters or errand-boys like me. e.g. I could drive to my fertilizer supplier and bring back four sacks of the stuff for much lower cost than firing up the SUV.

37. wizard emiritus says:

“Solo should reach ~200 MPGe compared to 80 MPG for an ICEd motorcycle or subcompact car.”

And how is this relevant to:

a) whether there is a market for this particular of EV that is large enough to sustain even its manufacturer.
    b) whether its manufacturer will survive its startup period.
    c) whether the very real limitations of this particular implementation of an EV are not a turn off to would be customers.

At best your stubborn speculation in the face of the reality of this product is indeed nothing more than the triumph of hope over experience.

38. DrLoser wrote, “Not relevant experience!”.

Certain knowledge that conversion efficiency of synchronous electric motors, switching regulators and secondary batteries being many times as efficient as internal combustion engines is relevant. Solo should reach ~200 MPGe compared to 80 MPG for an ICEd motorcycle or subcompact car.

And “let me fill in the blanks in your intelligence,” Robert. This may take a very long time indeed, so I’ll just start with the quote at issue.

When somebody describes your thought processes as “the sad triumph of hope over experience,” you don’t get to retort “I don’t even know what that means” when you clearly do know what that means. The technically correct retort in this case (from a rhetorical point of view, though almost certainly not from a real-life point of view) is “That does not apply in this case.”

Preferably followed by evidence that doesn’t just make you sound like a hopelessly confused, sad old man.

Then again, you’ve never been much of a one for coherently arguing to the point, have you?

The [sad] triumph of hope over experience?

Other people doing consumer test drives is not experience, Robert.

A vacuous (I would go so far as bathetic) wish-fulfilment statement such as “the vehicle works for them on Vancouver’s streets” is not experience, Robert.

Prior knowledge of traffic patterns in Vancouver is indeed experience, but it isn’t experience of the … thing … in question: it is the completely unrelated experience of wandering around a random large conurbation.

And “Solo is happening now” is not experience, Robert. It isn’t even vicarious experience. How many Solos are out there in the hands of customers? How many of those customers profess themselves satisfied? How long have they been driving these vehicles? This isn’t even statistically insignificant vicarious experience — it’s no sort of experience at all. It’s a wish-fulfilment fantasy.

And bringing up your in-depth knowledge of AC/DC motors? Can you make yourself sound more stupid? Not relevant experience!

41. Grece wrote, “demand for the Solo is a meager 0.0001389 %.”

Something like 80% of commuters in cars are alone. That’s a huge market. Just walking around seeing passing cars, I think that’s about right. Winnipeg alone probably has ~100K potential Solo customers.

People were discussing similar matters back in the 1970s. Folks were holding that V8 engines, rear wheel drive, and bumpers were essential, yet folks snapped up Japanese imports.

42. Grece says:

Using the combined population of both Canada and U.S., the so-called demand for the Solo is a meager 0.0001389 %.

Its all good….CHUCKLE.

43. DrLoser wrote, “No one knows what that [the triumph of hope over experience] means”.

Let me fill in the blanks in your intelligence. That phrase is well understood. It’s use in this context is not. Both I and EMV have lots of experience and understand well the technology. I took formal training in AC/DC electric motors/generators/batteries. Current technology can propel one person for 100 miles as EMV proposed and demonstrated. The product is in production today. The only question is whether EMV can meet demand. It’s reasonable to conclude they can either with further investment or sales.

I’ve done that and more like videos on YouTube

Please do not deny us this source of information. Pick your most inspiring and/or useful YouTube video, and give us a link.

No one knows what that [the triumph of hope over experience] means.

Seems like you regard Oscar Wilde as a “nobody”, Robert. Which is rather odd. You are admittedly much funnier than Mr Wilde, albeit by accident, but on the flip side he is quite well known.

Also attributed to Samuel Johnson (in Boswell’s Life. Both James Boswell and Samuel Johnson are obviously “nobodies.” I imagine that you consider the latter to be such, given that he was obviously superseded by Noah Webster in 1833 — probably the most recent book you have in your collection.

You really are a bit of an ignorant ninny, aren’t you, Mr Pogson?

(It’s actually a devastatingly accurate observation, considering that the original is based upon second marriages, and that you persistently ignore your failures the first time around.*)

* Not, I hasten to say, in marriage. Let’s not be too literal, But in just about anything else? Yes. Yes indeed.

46. The Wiz wrote, cryptically, “The sad triumph of hope over experience.”

Now you comment like Trump tweets… No one knows what that means. I have a lot of experience with bringing concepts to functionality. EMV has done all the right things as far as I can see. I have a lot of experience buying products based on their specs. Solo’s specs match my needs and a lot of others’ needs very well. EMV is working with InterMeccanica which has certified thousands of vehicles. It’s going to happen. There could be surprises like some part or other being defective/weak but most of their parts are COTS devices and have been produced in the thousands or millions in various devices. There should not be many surprises. The folks who have done the test-drives tend to have few complaints (the whine of the drive-train, or ingress/egress) but the vehicle works for them on Vancouver’s streets. I’ve been there. It’s a very busy city. So, I’m not working on hope but experience. Solo is happening now.

47. Deaf Spy wrote, “Robert contributes to Debian and FLOSS by writing”.

I’ve done that and more like videos on YouTube and introducing thousands of students and their teachers to Debian GNU/Linu.

To be fair, of course, Robert has also posted several whines on Bugzilla. I mean, that is terrifically valuable. Not as many as Fifi, but still terrifically valuable.

#WontFix #IrritatingLittlePrick

He also managed to get GEBC to change the font in their headers, because the original version made his eyes hurt.

In the words of Bob Marley — “Every little t’ing … gonna be alright!”

49. wizard emiritus says:

“Facts not in evidence…”

The sad triumph of hope over experience.

50. Grece wrote, “There is no market for single person electric big-wheels, if there were, you would see far more suppliers of such configurations.”

Facts not in evidence. In fact hundreds have lined up to buy Solo. I’m one. There are already two dealerships and many expressions of interest. Motorcycles exist in the millions and Solo somewhat serves the same niche only more efficiently and more comfortably.

51. Deaf Spy says:

Btw, Robert, why don’t you comment on how OEMs are flocking to Qualcomm and Windows 10? Small cheap computers, you had this right. Only Linux is again out in the cold. Even Android is dying. Google are already working to replace it, and there is no sign of Linux on the new OS they are working on.

52. Deaf Spy says:

I would like to know, how much money has been donated to Debian in the past 17 years, by you Robert.

Zero, of course. Robert contributes to Debian and FLOSS by writing “insightful” posts and comments in this very blog. What more may one want? Money, hm, such a mundane, low asset. If you ask Robert, Debian is doing fine without his money.

53. Grece says:

Envy? Dear Robert, they must have money, to make money. How do you not understand that?

Your assertions are pointless, as you do not know what is inside Electra Meccanica’s books. For example, every vehicle sold, could be a losing proposition. To scale up, they would have to hire more workers, which adds costs, benefits, salaries, etc..

Robert, you haven’t a single clue on how to run and operate a business, let alone grow one from scratch. There is no market for single person electric big-wheels, if there were, you would see far more suppliers of such configurations.

54. Grece says:

Off topic post, but its all good.

55. kurkosdr says:

I get that your mother drank a lot while she was carrying you, kurks, but if you don’t know what bluejacking is then you should just kill yourself.

From Wikipedia:

“Bluejacking is the sending of unsolicited messages over Bluetooth to Bluetooth-enabled devices such as mobile phones, PDAs or laptop computers, sending a vCard which typically contains a message in the name field (i.e., for bluedating or bluechat) to another Bluetooth-enabled device via the OBEX protocol.”

And of course, as all people who actually use mobile devices (instead of being neckbeardsstaying all day in their mother’s basement gutting old desktop computers like you) already know, in order for OBEX or anything bluetooth-related to work over two devices, your device needs to be “discoverable”, and all modern OSes have time restrictions usually being 1-2 mins, or they can only be discoverable when the user is on the settings screen. So, no, pairing to your bluetooth headphones with a modern smartphone OS won’t allow others to Bluejack you, which is the reason I asked how BlueJanking is relevant in today’s context.

I dunno what nasty stuff your mother was taking Igor… I mean Ivan, but it definitely did some long term harm to you.

56. Kurkosdr wrote, “The CEO post says otherwise.”

“We should be able to produce up to ten SOLOs per month from this assembly line, and then replicate and scale up for the proper volumes we need to deliver the 500+ orders that we have on the books. I anticipate many, many more reservations coming from people who will be seeing our early adopters, advocates and owners — our SOLO pilots — enjoying your new rides. Our company’s success will ultimately be determined by our overall production volume within the next 12 months so I assure you we are working on some world-class plans for our current and future facilities!”

See the part about scaling up? What year do you think that’s happening? You saw the assembly line. It can be replicated in weeks. For every few cars they deliver they can add another assembly line. Envy EMV. What business wouldn’t want such rapidly growing sales with months of orders?

57. Ivan says:

58. Kurkosdr says:

Scale-up is expected this year.

Citation needed.

The CEO post says otherwise.

59. Kurkosdr wrote, “they are not expecting to break out if the “ten SOLOs per month” for the next 4 years (120 cars per year)”.

Stop inventing numbers. Scale-up is expected this year. The limiting factor at the moment is not money nor space but certification. Once they can sell more cars they will make them and sales will fund scale-up if investment won’t. Either way, I will have my Solo in 2018.

60. Kurkosdr says:

In the post you linked below it clearly says:

“We should be able to produce up to ten SOLOs per month from this assembly line, and then replicate and scale up for the proper volumes we need to deliver the 500+ orders that we have on the books.”

Aka, they are not expecting to break out if the “ten SOLOs per month” for the next 4 years (120 cars per year). Which means you are not getting a Solo earlier than 3 years.

Stop contradicting your own links.

61. Grece wrote, “You must simply have 0.029 seconds?? That’s silly.”

Look at any complex website these days. There are URIs all over the place from different domains so that difference in lookup times is multiplied a dozen or so times. It is humanly perceptible.

Shaw Cable is not a poor provider but they do have annoying outages, just like Google. This is the first time they have changed IP address. I expect it’s because they are selling 150mbits/s and needed new equipment somewhere. They have had DNS outages before though and I did use Google from time to time but it was rarely needed and not necessarily faster or more reliable. Just like an automobile, if you go for speed, you trade off some reliability. Yesterday, I saw Shaw’s bill while looking for the phone number, and I think it’s overpriced. I’d be happy with 50mbits/s but TLW is in charge of such matters… She’s due for retirement sooner or later and I expect a downgraded service is on the horizon.

62. Kurkosdr says:

No one cares about that, they do care about not having to risk being bluejacked just to listen to headphones.

And “Bluejack” means what exactly? Last time I heard it was the practice of sending unwanted text messages to people leaving their phones in discoverable mode which is not possible in today’s OSes that turn off discoverable mode after some minutes or allow it only when the settings screen is showing

What is bluejacking in today’s context? How does it relate to Bluetooth headphones? Are you just throwing around nonsense?

63. Ivan says:

To be fair, the hick-town service provider isn’t the problem here. It’s Bob’s insistence on using a duct tape and crazy glue solution that needs manual intervention to resolve routing issues.

64. Grece says:

Grece wants to slow me down on the web…

29 vs. 77msec LOL….tell me, is your life that rushed that you cannot wait 0.077 seconds? You must simply have 0.029 seconds?? That’s silly.

Really Robert, DNS speed lookups are not the best metric to use. Of course your ISP would resolve a faster lookup then say Google. The point of my response was, simply to use something way more resilient then the current podunk hick-town service provider.

I will of course rub this in your nose again, when your ISP decides to do it again, which they will of course.

65. Grece wrote, “Jerry’s public reason is he wanted to sell cars, his ‘true’ reason was to build a following, while sucking the tit of government and capital liquidity, while running for office.”

Sigh. Are there no silver linings in Grece’s world? I guess not. Jerry is not really that into selling cars. He’s into selling renewable energy and commuters are the nail sticking up farthest above the floor. He’s an entrepreneur, not a politician. He had a very tiny chance of winning office. The Green party was glad to have such a prominent member of the community. Jerry was glad to help the Greens on their mission to save the world from greedy businesses and politicians who want to pass on a desolate planet to our children for a few dollars. The Greens did well. Jerry has a car to produce. It’s all good, despite Grece’s views.

66. Grece wrote, “so you rely on your ISP to provide DNS?

*shakes-head*”

Well, it’s a bit more complex than that. They also changed the IP address so there was no talking to Google either… I didn’t discover that until I ran dhclient…

dig http://www.cbc.ca

;; Query time: 29 msec

pogson@beast:~$ dig http://www.ctv.ca @8.8.8.8

;; Query time: 77 msec

Grece wants to slow me down on the web… *shakes-head*

67. Grece says:

Wow Robert, so you rely on your ISP to provide DNS?

*shakes-head*

Google IPv4 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
    Google IPv6 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844

68. Grece says:

Come now Robert, the Solo is NOT a “noble idea of humanity”. With every man there is two reasons they do something, Jerry’s public reason is he wanted to sell cars, his ‘true’ reason was to build a following, while sucking the tit of government and capital liquidity, while running for office.

69. Other good news –

This morning I woke up to no Internet. Strangely, phone and TV worked, just not Internet. I reset the modem to no effect. It turned out that the ISP had changed DNS servers in the wee hours and hadn’t triggered a DHCP event to pass that on. I guess it would have eventually been corrected automatically but I invoked dhclient and all is well. I looked at the list of recent leases and found the ISP had a ridiculously long renewal time. They would have let us wait until midnight… Gasp! This is the 21st century. How do they expect us to live without Internet?

Anyway, the onions and lettuce in the garden seem happy. We’ve the first good growing day of the season, warm temperatures and mild winds. Peas and radishes are popping up too. The weeds are getting a beating from the newest tiller.

70. Grece wrote, “No mention of who is the testing facilitator in Quebec.”

Grece doesn’t have a need to know. Even I don’t need that information and I’ve put a down-payment on a Solo. All I care about is getting the car. It will work for me. I don’t know what Grece’s problem is, casting doubt on every noble idea of humanity. He must live in a dark place.

71. Kurkosdr wrote, “It also means only “up to” 120 cars per year, which means it will take 3 years for you Pog to receive your Solo best case scenario..”

Well, that assumes they make no money on each Solo sold. That’s a stretch. It also assumes their IPO or injection from Dragons’ Den or other sources does not help them expand production. The Solo is designed to be cheap to manufacture. It has very few parts and they fit together rather simply. This makes it easy to ramp up production and profitably. EMV is locating larger premises but likely the single assembly line will be unique for a few weeks at least. They will make two or three units this month and they have inventory for a few more. At $20K each, they will have enough cash for more parts so they can keep the single line going as long as they need it. I’d bet they could have a few more lines going in a month or two if they had the money/space to hire more employees. EMV is tiny and that lets them survive rather easily in the beginning.

Bollocks, Pogson. Start another thread up on this topic and show the numbers. Enough with this dissimulation — you are either lying or a paranoid cretin.

Nobody in their right mind would believe you. you senescent twit. Fire that thread up right now.

73. Ivan says:

74. Deaf Spy says:

But funny thing is that the world seems ready to happily embrace Windows 10 and ARM. People do love small cheap computers, but with Windows on them.

75. Deaf Spy says:

You’re not paying attention, Kurks. Windows Phone / Mobile are irrelevant. Microsoft spectacularly failed to push them to the market, made all the efforts to confuse developers and make them look elsewhere, and made no efforts to work with operators.

Today, however, smartphones are simply not evolving anymore. It is a battle of cores and cameras, but no meaningful new feature came around (except for Continuum). The next update of Windows 10 will be working on ARM, and run both UWP and Win32 apps on ARM. This means that it is just about a proper hardware that will run the full version of Windows 10. It may be something 7″ with phone capabilities; rumors have it that it might be a foldable thing that looks like a phone, but expands to a 8″ or 9″ tablet…

Unless Nadella decides to forfeit the mobile market completely and kill UWP with this.

76. Kurkosdr says:

Aahh… Continuum, would have helped Microsoft so much if they had gotten it out the door before Windows Phone/Mobile became extinct. Microsoft doesn’t even make phones anymore, they closed down their Nokia division. And even if some OEM takes on the task, nobody is going to buy an extinct smartphone platform just so they can run Desktop apps on it, which is something their laptop already does better and with more storage. It is a nice thing to have, but not enough to de-extinct the Windows Phone/Mobile platform.

I do find it interesting that both technology Giants (Google and Microsoft) have both failed to break out of their stronghold form factors (smartphones and desktops/laptops). It just shows the power app makers have. Windows Phone died out of lack of app support.

77. Deaf Spy says:

In the other news, OEMs are now building ARM machines with Windows 10.

So much for how MS lost the mobile, the consumer and blah-blah-blah…

While MS did lose the first mobile battle, they seem well prepared for the next one. Smartphones haven’t evolved a bit for the last few years, except for… Continuum. At the same time, Apple are banging their heads how to get touch on desktop, where Surface and 2-in-1s are trashing both Macs and iPads, and Android is losing the tablets to survive only in the low-budget niche, where there is too little money to be had, except for no-name Chinese garages.

The Cloudy arena… Azure is the best growing cloud, and the only to allow integration with on-premises solutions.

No wonder their stock is at record high with no signs of going down.

78. Kurkosdr says:

I find it ironic that Jerry never gives away too much details, just enough info to keep the suckers in-line.

Gotta make ’em hold from asking for a refund on the “refundable” deposit ’till the scam is complete.

Also “up to 10 cars per month” means less than 3 a week.

Still waiting to hear details about that lab supposedly doing the certification on the Solo…

79. Grece says:

Satisfied yet?

No, of course not. All you provided was just a dated picture from October, and some words on a website. No mention of who is the testing facilitator in Quebec.

80. Grece wrote, “its VERY relevant”.

Testing does not have to happen in USA if the testing organization is certified to test to USAian standards. They are.

81. Grece wrote, “how many solar lights does it take to power you home?”

It’s already done. TLW has so many outside showing the world our mansion, we scarcely need interior lighting at night. I think her little panels are less than a watt but they charge a battery and power an LED light for most of the night. Some are well-placed and are still on near sunrise. TLW loves LEDs, especially if she doesn’t have to do any wiring to use them.

82. Grece demanded certainty…

See https://www.facebook.com/EMVsolo/videos/1364700420291191/

18 to 21 minutes in is discussion of early production and certification.

Also, check this out. That’s a Solo getting shipped out for testing.

Lastly, check out this report.

“And Model #0002 is almost ready for shipping to Quebec, where it will undergo U.S. compliance testing. If it passes, that opens up the big market below the 49th parallel, a place where Kroll says he’s already counted many hand raisers.”

Satisfied yet? I guess not. Grece is never satisfied. He will die lonely and miserable.

83. Grece says:

Grece wrote, “The SOLO EV is NOT under any sort of certification and/or compliance testing in the U.S.” That’s true, but irrelevant.

Irrelevant you say? Robert, its VERY relevant, how can you be so shallow for your U.S. solo buyers?

84. Grece says:

So Robert, how many solar lights does it take to power you home?

85. Grece says:

Testing is happening at a qualified lab in Quebec.

Need names Robert or at least a link, quit holding back information.

86. Grece wrote, “Only an idiot, would try to compare solar lighting with solar panels for home energy use”.

Only an idiot wouldn’t.

87. Grece wrote, “The SOLO EV is NOT under any sort of certification and/or compliance testing in the U.S.”

That’s true, but irrelevant. Testing is happening at a qualified lab in Quebec.

88. Grece says:

We have been running a path to complete our federal certification for the United States and Canada. The SOLO is scheduled to complete the required certification and compliance testing for US by the end of May. Following an additional 4 to 6 weeks of final compliance approval, we expect the vehicle to be certified for use nationwide. From there, we can begin expansion into U.S. markets with delivery of production-quality SOLOs. We can also begin with the implementation of SOLO intro stores in the US similar to those already established in the Vancouver area.

Well Robert, scam artists always paint a rosy picture until the very last second. I feel that is the case here, with some of the fantasy assertions Jerry has made.

The SOLO EV is NOT under any sort of certification and/or compliance testing in the U.S. I asked around, with personal contacts and each one said the said the very same thing, “WHO?”

Nothing at the EPA, DOE, NHTSA, and last but not least Intertek. Aside all that, I would like to know how Jerry intends to keep up with new regulations, such as the following.

Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

89. Grece says:

See the CEO.

Knowing your disdain for monopolies Robert, aren’t CEO’s the pinnacle for such things that you hate?

90. Grece says:

I forgot. TLW has already installed a couple of dozen solar panels, the small ones to power some outdoor lighting. She has no aversion to solar. She just doesn’t want it blocking the view of her castle…

Only an idiot, would try to compare solar lighting with solar panels for home energy use, Robert.

91. DrLoser wrote, “I’d be interested in the Roy Schestowitz cite that “proves” that “M$ paid people to use TOOS for placeholders so they get ~50% share of those.””

Take a look at Netcraft’s chart for all websites. You’ll see a big jump that lasted a year or so and went away (2001-2003, and 2006-2009). That only makes sense if M$ offered them some deal to host skeleton sites on TOOS. You can’t get gazillions of sites to up and change OS on a moment’s notice unless it’s just a placeholder, like a DNS lookup, but that happened twice. Why would anyone do that without being paid for the trouble? Why would the change be temporary? M$ decided to yank the subsidy. No one thinks M$ TOOS is superior in any way on servers. They will only go that way for an inducement or other leverage.

Well, that’s, um, -senile babbling- very interesting, Robert.

Why in the world do you think it is relevant to any subject presently under discussion?

Why would Microsoft be interested in web servers? They’re about as thin a margin as you can find anywhere. They don’t make any money.

Now, intranet servers for large corporations: that is a very different thing. Those suckas make money.

I’d be interested in the Roy Schestowitz cite that “proves” that “M$ paid people to use TOOS for placeholders so they get ~50% share of those.” I am always fascinated by paranoid nutters.

You, or Dr Roy.

93. Grece wrote, “you won’t, install one single solar panel on your home”.

94. Kurkosdr wrote, “Citation Needed.”

See the CEO.

95. Kurkosdr says:

They are building a few each week from now on.

Citation Needed.

Care to provide one for that assertion of yours, so your words actually carry an ounce of validity?

96. Grece wrote, “Nor will you ever receive or drive a SOLO. How can you say it’s yours, when it’s not even been shipped to buyer #1??”

Well, actually Solo #1 was delivered to an artist who decorated it this weekend in preparation for auction for charitable fundraising. This is not production model #1 but prototype #1. Production Solo #1 will be delivered this week to Greens and Beans deli in Vancouver. They are building a few each week from now on. So, they are nearly a quarter late but better late than never.

97. Grece wrote, “you won’t, install one single solar panel on your home”.

That’s true until TLW catches the wave of solar. I will use a few panels as a shade for a picnic table in my orchard. It will be neat having a shade that tracks Sun to keep the table in the shade all day long.

Grece also wrote, “That comment makes no sense”.

Only if you don’t think about it… Solar output is variable. It costs more to have sufficient solar power to charge the Solo either at 120V or 240V (1800W or 3600W). It’s more compact also to charge a battery to drive the inverter to charge the car. It’s fairly easy to mount 4-6 panels on a single mount rather than 10-12 panels. A battery can easily be scaled big enough that fits on a couple of shelves in the garage. So, I can either have a big solar array, a big battery or both. There are lots of choices and the deciding factor will be price and cost of freight. Shipping panels over the ocean is very expensive for just a few whereas there are lots of suppliers in North America. Shipping the batteries is not so bad because they fit in just a few crates on a pallet. Since TLW doesn’t want me to cover the roof with panels nor to build a wall of them, I will buy just a few panels for a shade and a suitable battery to charge the Solo in one or two fillups. On average, the Solo will need just a fractional charge as when I finish a long trip I can just leave it plugged in as long as it takes and not drive for a while. It’s all good.

98. Grece wrote, “Hacking up the Chinese tiller?”

Hell, no. They aren’t up to that… I’ll use these to finish construction of the cart for the alternator and my welder to add mobility. TLW wants to build a playground out back and grandpa will make the fixtures big and strong as they were back in the good old days. My kids enjoyed a big swing in the yard. My grandkids will like one too. It’s possible to do the welding on the driveway and carry or bolt things out back but it’s just easier to bring the steel and the welder to the site and build things there.

99. Grece says:

I’ll give the new blades a trial tomorrow as the rain has ended.

Hacking up the Chinese tiller?

100. Grece says:

I can install 1-20 KW of solar power and drive my Solo far and wide.

You say you can but you won’t, install one single solar panel on your home. Nor will you ever receive or drive a SOLO. How can you say it’s yours, when it’s not even been shipped to buyer #1??

It charges in 6h @120V. with less than 2KW.

Why 120V, can’t you wire a 240V station yourself?

I would probably install a battery to avoid waiting.

That comment makes no sense, either way you are limited to the inverter, wiring and battery limitations, less you will destroy your battery.

Now if you are talking about swapping batteries, well, that makes a lot more sense. But how are you going to unload/load heavy battery bank? When you have troubles changing a light tire?

Nonsense indeed!

101. Well, take a look at Netcraft’s report on use of TOOS on web-servers. M$ is down to ~10% of useful servers but M$ paid people to use TOOS for placeholders so they get ~50% share of those. That’s an intrusion into a space where M$ does not belong:
    “To thrust or force (something) in or upon; especially, to force (one’s self) in without leave or welcome; as, to intrude one’s presence into a conference; to intrude one’s opinions upon another.”

102. uote wrote, “El Pog clearly has a rather bizarre notion of “value for money.””

I bought 50 blades for ~$20 CAD, less than $1 apiece. The local stores were charging several dollars apiece. I’ll give the new blades a trial tomorrow as the rain has ended.

103. uote says:

Chinese hacksaw blades? How much did you pay for those??

Interesting question, actually. I have no investment in gold, unlike Robert. And I hope you will believe me when I say that I have no idea how much a set of hacksaw blades will cost. So here goes — I’ll look it up at my local Screwfix.

Apparently a pack of two for £4.99, or an entire hacksaw for three quid more.

El Pog clearly has a rather bizarre notion of “value for money.”

104. uote says:

truding on servers too

What the hell do you think you are blathering on about, Robert?

“Intruding?”

Do please quote chapter and verse from Websters circa 1833 on this one. Intruding>

Is there some sort of law against “intruding?”

105. Grece wrote, “No such thing as Wintel”.

Gosh, he’s still in denial… See Wintel.

It’s a bit wider than that, intruding on servers too but it’s also about monopoly.

106. DrLoser wrote, “the only money that goes out of the Pogson house is the money that TLW brings in to the Pogson house”.

Nope. My annuity is substantial and still growing. I’ve bought a lot of groceries and gadgets over the last year. Today, I picked up at the post office a box of Chinese hacksaw blades. Almost tried them out today but my outdoor project was in the rain. I could have cut some steel indoors but didn’t. I’ve been working hard. I declared a long weekend of rest…

107. DrLoser wrote, “You were lying through your rotten ancient decaying teeth, were you not?”

Nope. TLW and I do not. I don’t think any visitor has brought Wintel in here either. The visitors tend to use Android/Linux or iOS except when they use our computers.

108. DrLoser wrote, “what computing device TLW will take with her, the next time she takes a long distance flight?”

Most likely a smartphone. She’s shopping for a new one. An Android/Linux is a kind of thin client especially using Google applications and FaceBook. The heavy lifting is done on the server.

109. Kurkosdr says:

You use the money off the cash cow and you keep moving.

Moving to where? They ‘ve thown in the towel in regards to smartphone OSes and smartphone hardware, essentially ceding the smartphone front to Google, they ‘ve thrown in the towel in regards to tablets, ceding that front to Apple, they ‘ve thrown in the towel in regards to search, webmail and content distribution (aka movies and music). To find any good news, you have to look towards products offering legacy compatibility with win32 and OOXML. And then there is the Xbox silo, a weapon Microsoft cannot or is not willing to use in the mobile front. The only real innovation (aka “movement”) is the Surface Pro, which is a niche product that still sells on the premise of win32 compatibility.

Look, I would like Microsoft to “keep moving” in mobile and online. You can already see Google’s arrogance developing in their act to reserve the best of “vanilla Android” for the Pixel, essentially trying to be “Apple with apk sideloading” in mobile, but the hard truth is that win32 is the WinDiv’s one trick pony and the win32 version of MS Office is the Office team’s one trick pony.

Microsoft’s competition is Google. With a bit of Apple.

Parboiled any good frogs recently?

And whilst I am on the subject, Robert:

Can you tell us what computing device TLW will take with her, the next time she takes a long distance flight? (Say, to see her relatives?)

Somehow I doubt it will be an Odroid, or any other thin client.

There is a trembling in Seattle and in Palo Alto, Robert. A Mighty trembling.

Once Wintel lose TLW, they lose everything.

(Or possibly not.)

I’ve dist-upgraded two systems to 9/Stretch with zero problems.

I remember you saying it was five, actually. But numbers aren’t your strong suit. I’m not sure exactly what your strong suit is.

Obviously down to the OS and the motherboard, I think. Obviously.

Now, Robert. I asked you to ‘fess up and tell us all that nobody in your house uses “Wintel.” And you — unequivocallyinsisted that nobody was doing such a thing.

You were lying through your rotten ancient decaying teeth, were you not?

It’s a cash cow, you moron. All products end up as cash cows eventually.

You use the money off the cash cow and you keep moving. Microsoft is doing that. Difficult to see how a “free at the point of downloading” OS like Debian could possibly compete.

(Also, hidden, how?)

And they always have the Xbox silo to provide some extra cash.

One more ignorant cretin heard from, Kurks. (M$ are desperately trying to offload Xbox.)

And now … back to our regular ignorant cretin host!

Solo has fewer wheels, brakes, doors, accessories, battery capacity…

Indeed. Always the main items that insurers look at.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

116. kurkosdr says:

Wintel is dying under its own weight.

I dunno about the nonsensical “Wintel” thing you keep blathering about without defining it, but MS is “dying” out of their incompetence. I knew they didn’t stand a chance in new markets when the Nokia Lumia 950 had a camera app bug that prevented the app from launching half the time (0x00D3704).

If they couldn’t even get that right after such a long R&D of W10M… Microsoft is a provider of legacy compatibility right now, much like Unisys, but since win32 is so entrenched, I wouldn’t call it “dying” exactly. And they always have the Xbox silo to provide some extra cash.

Incidentally, and per Grece, Robert, it appears that Microsoft is doing rather well these days. $69 is not too shabby for a utility provider that was at about $40 say, three years ago.

And your predictions of disaster on systemd have turned out to be, well, bollocks.

And your predictions of disaster on UEFI have turned out to be, well, bollocks.

Never mind. There’s always that Pascal-based GEBC replacement over the web that you were going to get around to at some point.

I wonder what happened to that?

118. DrLoser wrote about EVs. The Leaf is several times the weight of Solo so the cost for tires will be greatly in Solo’s favour. Insurance is based on the price of the car when new, again a plus for Solo. Same with repairs. Solo has fewer wheels, brakes, doors, accessories, battery capacity…

119. grece wrote, “Microsoft Revenue: $85.32 billion USD (2016)”.

Well, M$ has diversified. They hide TOOS revenue. It’s less than half what it used to be.

Well, Dougie, you have to realise that the only money that goes out of the Pogson house is the money that TLW brings in to the Pogson house. Which is why he used to tolerate her fondness for TOOS, for example. Or her present desire to drive a gas-guzzling SUV, even though she seldom needs to drive more than 15 miles.

Everything is relative in the Pogson world. Except Pogson Principles.

Pogson Principles are loud and annoying and do not in fact exist. Or at least are never applied to the real world.

Hilarious.

And you actually thing you are going to save on repairs, insurance, and wear on tires?

Obviously you have a direct line to Tinkerbell. Could you share that with the rest of us?

Oh, and btw. A second-hand Leaf — as we have all told you — will cost about $25K or maybe less, and will deliver all the same benefits. Plus more safety. Plus more luggage space. Plus more resale value.

Just stop yapping and put your theoretical gold reserves where your stupid mouth is, old man.

122. Grece wrote, “Hydroelectric aside, for every 1GW of baseload, you need to install 10GW of renewable energy.”

Nonsense. I can install 1-20 KW of solar power and drive my Solo far and wide. It charges in 6h @120V. with less than 2KW. I would probably install a battery to avoid waiting.

123. Grece says:

No such thing as Wintel Robert. It’s just a fantasy conjured up in your odious mind.

Let see, how much both are allegedly dying.

Intel Revenue: $59.38 billion USD (2016)
    Microsoft Revenue: $85.32 billion USD (2016)

So in your mind Robert, two-digit billion dollar revenue streams are a dying, lost-cause??

124. Grece says:

125. Grece wrote, “Have you giving up on the whole Debian Linux versus Microsoft thing Robert?”

Nope. Wintel is dying under its own weight. TLW is busy scanning documents to the server and organizing them from her Odroid-C2 both using Debian GNU/Linux. I’ve dist-upgraded two systems to 9/Stretch with zero problems. Her Intel notebook is on its last legs. Flaky USB and WiFi and power connector and missing key-caps. TLW is very hard on equipment. She also killed another high priced smartphone. She destroys anything mobile.

126. kurkosdr wrote, “the rise in demand caused by EVs and PHEVs will require many additional wind turbines and solar panels to be installed”.

Manitoba has a huge surplus of hydro. We export to USA. EVs won’t overload the system. OTOH rampant EVs will reduce imports of petroleum.

127. kurkosdr says:

ICEd (Internal Combustion Engine) cars are a bottomless pit of money:

Just wait ’till the increased demand for electricity caused by EVs and PHEVs meets the War On Coal. Wind and solar have a high upfront cost to install, and you need many of them to cover even existing needs for electricity, and the rise in demand caused by EVs and PHEVs will require many additional wind turbines and solar panels to be installed in a short amount of time. IMO I wouldn’t be surprised if the Model S and the Model X become the muscle cars of the 21st century. With the difference that the Big 3, back in those days, weren’t dumb enough to assume gas would be perpetually dirt cheap and promise to give it away for free on perpetuity, like Tesla does when giving free electricity to Model S and Model X owners.

The sad thing is that poor families will subsidise the thirst for electricity of EVs and PHEVs via higher electricity bills while at the same paying green taxes and the gasoline tax for their existing ICE car.

Which brings us back to the observation that even in a future without gasoline and diesel, you still need to produce the energy somehow, either via Dirty Coal or high upfront cost renewables. Which brings us to the observation that you can’t have a western standard of living (with private vehicles and such) without discouraging third-world parenthood planning methods (or more accurately, the lack thereof) and the religions that consider contraception a taboo, but that last observation -while correct- is politically incorrect and must be disregarded.

128. Grece says:

Lets discuss this Robert.

Given the fact that, one, Electra Meccanica cannot ship units on a continual basis, let alone a single unit to date. Two, spare parts availability would be rather pointless, due to aforementioned reasons. Three, lack of any warranty Four, you ineptitude to fix and repair things, is left for want. It does not look like procurement for such an expense would be a profitable venture.

You’d fare better getting a horse Robert. All that manure would surely break-up your clay soil in due time.

129. Grece says:

Robert, *sigh*….. bottomless pit of money??

Haven’t ever heard the expression, you need to spend money, to make money?

If your logic was true, then everyone commuting to work would be in a losing venture, due to your “black-hole” analogy. But since that is not the case, people seem to get along fine in paying for mortgages, school tuition’s, computers, mulch, etc….

Care to revise your illogical opinion?

130. Grece says:

Have you giving up on the whole Debian Linux versus Microsoft thing Robert? This blog of yours is seemingly become the ramblings of a miserable miser whining about politics and other complaints.

May I recommend a book?

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson

Mark gives a real-world example about a cranky person in the check-out line at the market. The elderly customer is making a big fuss about some minor thing. Why? Because they don’t have anything else to occupy their time. If you don’t have anything substantive to occupy your time, then it’s trivial stuff that bothers you and chances are you don’t have much going on in your life…

Sound familiar Robert?