Very, Very Soon, We Go Solo

Everyone’s holding their breath for Solo’s release into the wild is imminent. The first units will be delivered in the Vancouver region this month. The rest of us have to wait a few months more. It’s not so bad. When I ordered my Chevy pickup back in the days of gas-guzzlers, it took 3 months and they had routine production going. Electra Meccanica is just taking off in a pay as you go mode. It’s all good. It’s made in Canada, as much as that can be said of anything these days. At least much of the brain-power is Canadian. My brain is Canadian too and I can hardly wait.

UPDATE EMV had an interactive session on FaceBook this evening. The mic cable seemed to break and they had a big drop in volume but they moved closer to Jerry and it improved. Next month, they will have him wear a mic…

There’s some news…

The cars delivered this month in British Columbia will be certified for BC only, one at a time, just as InterMeccanica gets its classic models certified. It will be shortly that the Solo will be certified for USA. Canadian certification will come near the end of 2017.

Production is painfully slow indeed. The first two are just rolling off the assembly line now and will soon be delivered, but it’s just a few per month rather than a few per week. That’s not because they can’t produce more faster but that they are still debugging things. Eventually, they expect to get a few per day cranked out of such assembly lines and replicate them. They are dealing for a 500K square foot assembly space. When that is rolling they could easily make 100 per month. This puts my Solo back a few months in 2018. So, I will take delivery in summer instead of winter.

On winter, they actually had a lot of snow in Vancouver this year and found the Solo handles nicely in snow-packed and slippery conditions. Chalk it up to half the weight being on the single drive-wheel on the centre-line of the Solo. Also, they confirmed regenerative braking is working well. They descended a mountain over 16km and gained a few km range. Good. I have one minor valley in my planned travels with Solo.

Jerry thinks range is not an issue and does not emphasize Solo for longer trips. I know technology and I believe Solo is perfectly suitable for longer trips provided charging stations are available. It’s great efficiency is the key. I’m retired. If I want to travel slowly Solo, I can. Solo will get me where I want to go eventually. I don’t even drive ICEd vehicles anywhere near as fast as most folks, simply to save fuel. That technique is perfect for Solo. I know my routes. I know my traffic-patterns. Solo will do just fine.

So, things unfold as they should. I’m a little disappointed at the ~ one quarter slippage in delivery but I guess Canada is not as high a priority as the larger USAian market. That’s Jerry’s choice. It works for him. It will work for me if I live long enough.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Very, Very Soon, We Go Solo

1. Grece says:

Isn’t government the very definition of a monopoly Robert?

Only you, would swoop-in to recover a retards fumble, oh which everyone would agree that Fifi labels himself as such.

LOL…no way. I live on dirt/gravel roads that were built by farmers. Every winter we plow the snow off ourselves, recrown with a CAT motor-grader, repair ditches and dump recycled asphalt on it. My driveway is a good quarter mile, and I have to box-blade the sucker myself with a tractor.

Who in the hell listen to radio anymore Robert? Besides that, NPR sucks anyways.

LOL..again. I grow my own food and take the excess to the farmers market.

Crime is regulated by the Second Amendment, and by the pistol I bear on my side. There is no land regulations here, I am zoned as agriculture, so this means I can do whatever I want.

It seems to me that you embrace government and socialism, you would have fared well in Cuba.

2. Grece wrote, “Government assistance is a hell of a deal for you, as it lets the stupid and feeble individuals thrive.”

Today, in our complex societies and economies, everyone benefits from government assistance:

• Drive on a road? Probably government acquired the route and built and maintained the thing on our behalf.
    • Used a radio? Probably government allocated channels and approved standards that keep you on the air.
    • Ate food from the grocery? Probably a government inspected it somewhere along the line or assisted the producer to grow optimally or provided the road and regulation of vehicles and traffic that distributed it.
    • Lived peacefully in your home? Probably a government helped limit the growth of crime by taking criminals off the street and regulating the use of land nearby so that you didn’t live in the shadow of a tall building or the din of a factory.

So, despise government if you will but that’s ignorant behaviour. It’s your government working on your behalf doing things that are difficult or very inefficient for you to do yourself. Remember from whence we came, hunting and gathering and fighting off predators and other bands tooth and nail. Government is part of our great quality of life. If you find something wrong in government, participate and make the government and the world a better place. Vote, for Pity’s sake. Choose wisely. Don’t accept monopoly in government or the market place.

3. Grece says:

FIfi, it is painfully obvious that you do not know anything about anything. Government assistance is a hell of a deal for you, as it lets the stupid and feeble individuals thrive.

Grece never worked in windy areas have you. First job is wind break. If you mix 30 percent sand in before the wind break is existing you will lose soil when it at the level of shearing small plants off. Some times it pays just to plant with plants that tolerate clay soils in early stages of development of an area to keep soil loss at a minimum.

So there are a list of jobs that have to be done in order. Chinese tiller was use to-do a set of need jobs to start establishment of a living wind break. But a living wind break takes time to get to require size.

Greenhouse in a high wind area is a lot more expensive to build due to foundation and structure requirements to stay put. The money spent on Chinese tiller and American tiller is way less than what is required to build a greenhouse with cyclone/high wind conditions tolerance. Of course grece in low wind area so never have to build greenhouses to the required tolerance.

Part of open field development is living with high clay at times for up to 5 years before you can add sand and other materials to to soften it so that the required wind breaks have developed.

5. Grece says:

For the amount of money spent on that stupid Chinese tiller and now this American tiller, you could have built yourself a greenhouse and a bunch of raised beds. If you have a problem with clay soil, mix in sand to make up 30% of the plot and your problem is solved.

Stop whining and making excuses as to why you cannot grow anything.

6. Grece wrote, of Jerry, “What makes you think that he can produce a reputable and reliable vehicle?”

Silly! I’ve seen it in traffic around the world, read the specs, seen it being assembled and run on a racetrack.

Grece also wrote, “You have no farming or gardening skills.”

Uh, I’ve grown a lot of grass, grain, pumpkins, beets, radishes, peas, flowers, asparagus, turnips, cabbage, asparagus, fruit-trees, and raised cattle and hogs. That doesn’t happen on its own. The present land is very difficult. It has a lot of clay and no wind break at the moment. The wind just sheared off a lot of seedlings but the season is long enough I can start them over. The new tiller works pretty well with two passes. I have a lot of seed in the ground. Still to go: pumpkins, daikon radishes, lettuce… Then I will prepare more ground for weed control and planting more grass. It’s all good.

7. Grece says:

So yet again, there are more delays. Honestly, this idiot, Jerry, could not procure a $5 microphone to properly give a live presentation. What makes you think that he can produce a reputable and reliable vehicle?

Robert, you are killing me with this crap. How can you be so myopic? The more and more I read your ramblings, I have come to realize that business is not your forté. Your politics are are boring and just CNN dicta. You have no farming or gardening skills. Your sense of value is overly-hyped and in closing, your skills in IT on a personal and business level class is lacking…but hey it’s all good.

8. Grece wrote, “Most tire places have the “Buy 3 Tires, Get 4th Tire Free” deal.”

Well, they might have to give the third tire $free because I won’t buy four. Maybe I could get some free Snow tires.

9. Grece says:

How you ask? Most tire places have the “Buy 3 Tires, Get 4th Tire Free” deal.

10. DrLoser wrote, “let’s estimate the ratio of costs on tires. Clue: 1.0”.

How the heck do you buy four tires for the same price as three? How do you get tires bearing nearly twice the weight, steering and braking forces to last as long as three on light duty? Friction and flexure causes wear.

11. Dr Loser wrote, ” the Leaf weighs in at something like 1,400 Kg”.

Or not. Wikipedia says 1500kg, about twice Solo. That’s a lot to drag around if you don’t need it.

Well, the Leaf weighs in at something like 1,400 Kg. I have no idea how heavy a child’s tricycle with a plastic carapace powered by a set of off-the-shelf 9V batteries might weigh, and frankly nobody cares.

Now the, let’s estimate the ratio of costs on tires. Clue: 1.0.

Or, the costs on anything else. Clue: 1.0.

Now, here’s the interesting thing: there’s no way to estimate the costs of spare parts on the tricycle, because nobody yet has a clue how the supply chain works. Unlike the Leaf, which has a well-established supply chain and dealership network.

In theory, Robert, you are in for a world of expensive pain if you actually get one of these.

In practise, of course — you won’t. Not because it it ludicrous — which it is. Simply because you like to preach, but do not like to act like a responsible human being who backs up his own hunches with money.

So, cost for Solo is about $1125 all in each year while Leaf comes to $1850.

Are you at all aware how truly pathetic you sound, Robert?

Clue: lots.

You don’t know TLW. She thinks for herself.

That was kind of my point, actually, Robert. And I admire TLW for that.

Because listening to your wild fantasies is no way to make a sensible purchase.

15. Grece says:

Then there’s the cost of periodic replacement of battery

Ahhh, but what about the battery replacement in the Solo? What about the 50% loss of range in the winter time?? What about the lack of warranty and support when Electra Meccanica cannot support the customer? Wait, where did we hear this before? Ah yes, the lack of customer support due to the implementation of Linux.

Robert, has it dead-set he is going to receive a Solo, but cognitive dissonance has yet to set in and boy when it does, he is going to have a meltdown of Chernobyl proportions.

16. Kurkosdr says:

Which brings the question: Does the Solo EV come with a warranty? How long?

17. DrLoser wrote, “you could probably get your wife to ditch the SUV for a Leaf, once she’s seen the benefits”.

You don’t know TLW. She thinks for herself. When she was shopping for a car, I recommended the Leaf and VW diesel. She chose the Lexus and found one available second hand in Calgary. She flew to Calgary and drove her baby back to Winnipeg. No one will get her to give it up. She even thinks the massive costs of repairing it don’t matter as much as driving it until it drops dead. There’s just no persuading her that a newer more reliable vehicle is the way to go… 🙁

18. DrLoser wrote, “You’ve already stated that you’ll only be taking it for trips of about 15 miles or so. I seriously doubt that the KW/H will make enough of a difference.”

Let’s see… I go to the PO several times a month to pick up online purchases, my doctor about once a month for treatment/checkups, pharmacy every few months for a new batch of medicines, and I do a bit of shopping in person for groceries and hardware. So, you’re right, that might be only a single charge for all those errands. However, the Solo opens up many other opportunities which I avoid now because TLW claims first dibs on the SUV: touring around, hunting, gathering, shooting, visiting, … Stuff like that can involve big mileage, perhaps hundreds of miles on a trip. Just the shooting range might involve five trips a week so I can practice, gather range-brass and tighten my groups. I know, this is wasteful motion but at least it costs about 5% as much as tooling around in TLW’s tank… It uses $5-10 on the tiniest of errands: warming up, heating exhaust, heating the environment, spewing CO2 and pushing a lot more air. So, I could do 15 charges on these mundane, routine trips, maybe $25 per annum but the Leaf would cost $50.

Examples further afield:

• Powerview – I’ve only been there a few times in my life but I know it’s beautiful and in spring/summer has lots of fresh air/sunshine/hiking and fishing opportunities for me. That’s 100km each way and up to 250km if I take the scenic route back. I could do that monthly from April to October just for fun. That’s 1750 km for the cost of doing it once with the SUV.
    • Swan River – I think I’ve only been there once or twice because it’s off the beaten track but it has a Peavey Mart so I could go once a year just for fun. That’s 1144km X 2 via Brandon = 2288km. Along the way, I can visit scenic Riding Mountain National park and Dauphin, a rural town near where I used to live early in my teaching career. Fishing is great up there. Probably mushrooms too.
    • Pilot Mound, MB – that’s near ancestral ground and there are relatives I could visit. Apparently it’s within range if I drive as I do… That’s a 432km round trip I could do every couple of months, say, 2592 km per annum
    • The West – While Solo is not optimal for such long trips, I have relatives in Alberta and Saskatchewan who would be within reach of Solo and frequent charging stops. I deserve some time away, don’t you agree? Chalk up 3000 km per annum on a single tour of the prairies.

So, my rare longer trips could add up to ~10000km. Solo gets 10-15 km/kWh, so that’s 1000 kWh, just $100 while Leaf would cost $200.

Then there’s the cost of periodic replacement of battery, tires, brakes, stuff that wears… Leaf is several times the weight of Solo so I expect those costs would be two or three times as much. Say, for the sake of argument, such costs are averaging $300 per annum over the life of the Solo. I expect insurance for Solo will be ~70% that for Leaf, say $700 instead of $1000. So, cost for Solo is about $1125 all in each year while Leaf comes to $1850. I see a saving of $725 per annum. Over 20 years, the Solo is almost $free compared to Leaf. Saving over the gas-guzzling SUV pays for the Solo in about five years. If cost is the deciding factor, the question is not “Why Solo?” but “Why not Solo?”. I’d also assign value to the freedom Solo gives to have more independence from TLW, and other relatives who might ride along or share the cost of the SUV. Think of the value of being able to visit a potential gathering site as the nuts/berries/mushrooms ripen to optimize my harvest if the cost of travel is reduced significantly by using Solo.

There is also capital cost. Even used Leafs are as much as Solo so if I compare new prices, and save/invest the extra money a Leaf would cost, the Solo pays for itself years earlier compared to Leaf.

BTW, CEO of EMV, Jerry Kroll reiterated today that the first deliveries will happen this month and that a user’s manual is in production. The manual will be debugged/refined by interaction with the first customers in the Vancouver area. It’s all good.

Better still, of course, you could probably get your wife to ditch the SUV for a Leaf, once she’s seen the benefits. Nothing like first-hand experience. Also, a useful way of Preaching The Good Word, just the way you have been Preaching Linux all these years.

Don’t let her see you riding your electric tricycle in 2022, however. Too much laughter can be damaging to even the closest of marriages.

Let’s see you do the math on that one in front of us, Robert. You’ve already stated that you’ll only be taking it for trips of about 15 miles or so. I seriously doubt that the KW/H will make enough of a difference.

And then, of course, there is the resale value. The Leaf has a resale value. The Solo … doesn’t actually have a sale value yet, so who knows what the resale value would be?

And of course the Solo isn’t available, whilst the Leaf is. Which of course leads us to the following question:

How much longer are you going to personally rape the planet, at the same time as damaging your own pocket book, by driving anything other than a second-hand Leaf?

Cost/Benefit, Robert, Cost/Benefit. But let’s be kind here. You could ditch whatever you are driving right now and follow your principles by buying a second-hand Leaf. And when your Solo Lottery Ticket comes up, you can sell the Leaf (at minimal loss) and buy the Solo.

Isn’t compromise a good thing, when it actually makes you sound like a man of principle, other than a cheapskate buffoon?

21. Further, EMV will hold an interactive session on their FB page tomorrow evening. Pose your questions there.

See https://m.facebook.com/events/1326202314123147

22. Kurkosdr wrote,”when he could get a Leaf for 2-3 grand less”.

Leaf would cost multiples of that amount over the lifetime of a Solo for electrical energy consumption, tires, battery, insurance and a used Leaf has less remaining battery and car life. It’s reasonable to buy a Leaf, but not optimal for one driving Solo. TLW is not interested in hunting, fishing, gathering and visiting rural Manitoba. Why should I buy a car that suits her? Solo will do everything I need done by car.

23. Kurkosdr says:

Impatiently waiting Robert?

Nah, he is just BSing people. The worst thing that could happen to Pog is ElectraMeccanica​ announcing that one lucky folk from the 400-800 portion of the waiting list will actually receive his Solo in Q1 2018 as promised (after a draw contest), with that lucky folk happening to be Pog, and then Pog will have to pay 15500 Canadian for this mobility scooter with a roof, when he could get a Leaf for 2-3 grand less.

24. Grece wrote, “What model tiller Robert?”

Troy-bilt Super Bronco. See https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/productFeatures/0604013P

Had some fun finding it. Was still in the box, and I was looking for the machine…

25. Grece says:

What model tiller Robert? I have a 4-stroke Mantis and love it.

26. The Wiz wrote,”if the prices of the Solo and the Leaf were reversed, you would still buy the Solo, even though it would then be more expensive?”

That would require some thought, like how many years of higher cost of operation would offset the difference. The Solo is priced higher than I like but it’s so much more efficient that it doesn’t matter.

On a related note, we just bought another smaller tiller for tight places. Price is about twice the late Sears tiller and so is the warranty. It took three strong men but we barely fit the box in the SUV. It’s much slower and narrower than the Chinese monster. TLW should be able to guide it with one hand.

27. Wizard Emeritus says:

“The Leaf weighs nearly 5000 pounds while the Solo weighs less than 2000. ”

So does that mean that if the prices of the Solo and the Leaf were reversed, you would still buy the Solo, even though it would then be more expensive?

28. Grece says:

Impatiently waiting Robert?

29. There will be a live interaction with Electra Meccanica Monday evening at 6-8 PDT
    See https://m.facebook.com/events/1326202314123147

30. Grece wrote, “Leaf is a better buy..” neglecting the part about “by the pound”. The Leaf weighs nearly 5000 pounds while the Solo weighs less than 2000. To me that extra weight means more energy wasted on the uphill parts and more wasted energy on the flats, just pushing more air out of the way.

31. Grece says:

Makes perfect sense.

Leaf is a better buy.. About time you came around and got a clue. Now quit dilly-dallying and go purchase one!

32. Grece wrote, “Pog isn’t interested in a electric car, if he was, he would give a big FU to Jerry and go get a Leaf”.

That makes no sense. Leaf is a better buy at $/pound but it’s way more pounds than I need to haul around with me on errands.

33. Grece says:

Pog isn’t interested in a electric car, if he was, he would give a big FU to Jerry and go get a Leaf or some other available vehicle. Robert can wait, as he is retired, retarded and delusional as no one needs him for anything.

34. kurkosdr wrote, “I noticed the lack of parts in the workshop”.

Get your eyes checked. The video shows two rows of shelves loaded with parts.
    They may also have other storage nearby.

35. kurkosdr says:

The workshop is VERY clean, with the same parts strewn about to give the appearance of a work being accomplished.

Yeah, I noticed the lack of parts in the workshop (besides tires, of which they have plenty because it is a generic part).

Even carmakers such as Toyota who have enough weight to get into just-in-time manufacturing agreement with suppliers have to have parts lying around.

It would be fun if ElectraMechanicca has already run out of cash and are waiting to sell their existing stock of dozen vehicles or so to restart the assembly line.

Which brings me back to the original assertion: We can’t really know the state of their assembly line, the 3 cars per month is the promised scenario (by Jerry) aka the optimistic scenario. Pog is either trolling (aka pretending to want an electric car) or he is completely insane to believe he will get his Solo on Q1 2018.

36. Grece wrote, “to give the appearance of a work being accomplished”, but does not even consider the videos might have been shot on the same day.

37. Grece says:

I noticed something, when you compare the Electra Meccanica open house video to the video Robert posted above. It appears to show the same exact vehicles, same color and the one in back is still being worked on. Which makes me think no work is being done.

38. Grece says:

Grece of course the delivery date for current orders is being pushed back. As number of waiting orders increase with the forecast production rate those numbers have to be pushed back.

Say what? That doesn’t even make any sense dummy. As a former project manager, a timeline is developed from day one with a meeting of partners and stakeholders. This is typically set in stone, unless complications arise, which in Jerry’s case, it is the lack of revenue. So it is nothing to do the increase of orders dummy, but the lack of funds to purchase and procure parts.

The assembly line that you and Robert glorify, is a joke. As I stated previously, that is the cleanest assembly line I have ever seen in my life. Which leads me to believe that nothing is ever assembled to begin with.

Coincidentally, Electra Meccanica is no Chevy, as Chevy has been around since 1910.
    InterMeccanica the parent company for Electra Meccanica is a fairly old company as well from the 1960.

The personal at the head of Electra Meccanica are from InterMeccanica. This is not like the other EV that people have attempted to crowd fund and the like. There are proper experienced car makers at the lead.

Grece would you be saying the same crap if Chevy had forked off a sub company to make a electric car. Please note Chevy did and you said nothing back then when they had the same order pattern.

Of course Grece is a idiot the documentation is clear that the delivery date on site is if you order today. People who ordered earlier get their cars first of course. So 400-500 roughly equal a year by their forecasts. Now they is forecasting with their existing production set-up as if no other production comes on-line.

41. kurkosdr says:

Me, I think roughly March 2022.

Even under Pog’s reality-denying scenario (aka the scenario where Jerry supposedly can’t hear his own words and meant “3 cars per week” instead of “3 cars per month”), Pog won’t have his car ’till February 2020 or so (he is number 401 best case scenario, which means that 401 / 12cars per month / 33 months and some days).

The rest of us have to wait a few months more.

Pog, ElectraMechanicca will have to produce 40 cars per month to catch the Q1 delivery date for your Solo EV, and all promises made by ElectraMecanicca actually contradict that number (even if we assume 3 cars per week).

Pog, can you explain how is it possible to receive your Solo EV in Q1 2018?

42. kurkosdr says:

They ‘ll start delivering 3 cars per month, just as they promised, big deal. Or was Jerry telling lies?

43. Grece wrote, “whereby I commented about spot welding, instead of stick welding?”

I have no idea about deleting tiller-posts. The defective welds here were tack welds of an arc fusion process, probably MIG or TIG, just a tiny crater meant to hold things together temporarily while the rest of the joint was made. They skipped that step. I supplied it with 3.2mm stick. TLW and I took it for a spin, shredding some quack grass. TLW is great at driving forward…

I think it would be an entertaining innovation on this site, Robert, if you introduced sweep-stakes.

Many of us have an opinion on the time period which will elapse before you acquire your electric tricycle with a plastic hoodie. Grece appears to think “never,” although I hate to take words out of his mouth.

Me, I think roughly March 2022.

Over and under, anybody? I’m sure you, Robert, are confident enough to join in with the fun.

45. Grece says:

Will it be all good, when delivery dates are pushed back again?

Here are some upcoming delivery dates:

– Q2 2018
    – Q3 2018
    – Q4 2018

– Q1 2019 and so on….

In one to two years time Robert, you will be amazed on how I know such things.

46. Grece says:

Why did you take your broken Chinese tiller post down, whereby I commented about spot welding, instead of stick welding? Obviously you wrote about it, and wanted us to know; why are you hiding appropriate subject matter from us Robert?

47. Grece says:

LOL…this crap is hilarious! Everyone is holding their breath, but they don’t realize they will never receive their Solo. Are you holding your breath Robert?