Imagining What Will Fit In My Solo EV

Travelling around pointlessly in my new Solo EV is rather pointless so I’m looking at what I can do besides transport my body and a few groceries and parcels. I’m told a Cello will fit…

Fishing is something I don’t do very often because I usually go with others and they aren’t around when my garden is too wet or the lawn has just been mowed or there’s nothing I need to build/fix… My fishing rod is 12 feet long. That won’t fit as is but it’s a mass-produced, two-piece affair. Will a 6 foot section fit? Yes. I estimated it will just fit from the farthest extent of the foot-space of the cockpit to the limit of the rear cargo space. I used the diameter of the wheel as a baseline and scaled from the corner of the door to the rear hatch using GIMP. In fact, the cockpit reaches a bit farther forward. If not, I can buy a Berkeley Ugly Stick or something that will bend a bit… So, I can go fishing anywhere smooth blacktop reaches in Manitoba except the far north up near Thompson. That’s just too long a drive for Solo.

The firearms I use should all fit. My telescope should fit. I know I will fit. Clearly, Solo is big enough for me, not half a car, as some would call it but a whole sub-compact car quite useful for many purposes. The reality is I will be able to do a lot more driving with Solo than with my present vehicle because TLW drives it more than I do. I expect she will want her own Solo after I bring this baby home.

This entry was posted in firearms, hunting, technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Imagining What Will Fit In My Solo EV

Reality the Lexus is highly abusive on its lithium batteries. It designed to use them for regenerative braking. So from full down to 5 percent in the battery more often than a solo in operation ever is going to. Lexus will want to drain the lithium batteries it has a lot more often to make sure it has storage space for regenerative braking and due to its limited battery capacity.

2. Grece says:

In high school, I even took courses in the matter.

I ran the battery shop for Uncle while in the Army…big deal. Seen lots of Marathon batteries and Christie chargers, even had a few cells short-circuit on me. Still doesn’t make me want a electric big-wheel by any means.

wild speculations

Speculations? To which alleged “speculation” do you infer? Obviously it’s not the miser comment, the majority of people here would agree that the word fits the bill, so to speak.

3. Grece wrote, “However, I doubt you changed it yourself, as you are too inept to perform such a function.”

Chuckle. I’ve been working with lead-acid batteries since the 1950s. In high school, I even took courses in the matter. I know much more than a typical motorist does, like sulphation, electrode half-reactions, voltages, specific gravity, trickle-charging, float-charging, constant current, constant voltage… and I’ve built my own chargers several times.

Grece’s doubts and firmly-held beliefs are just wild speculations.

4. Grece says:

My Lexus uses lithium cells.

You still have a lead-acid battery in it, quit trying to lie your way out. I am willing to bet you changed that lead-acid battery at least one time maybe two times already. However, I doubt you changed it yourself, as you are too inept to perform such a function.

Furthermore, the question that bares asking is what percentage of time is the lithium battery used in the Lexus, 5% 10%? Of course not often, and most certainly not often as the SOLO.

So you see you are comparing apples and oranges, or a better analogy would be, comparing Microsoft to Apple again. May 1st is next week, and I bet that Electra Meccanica does not ship any product to a paying customer for the entire month.

5. Greece wrote, “Only you would try and compare Lithium-ion to Lead-acid. ”

No, it’s you. My Lexus uses lithium cells.

6. Grece says:

Only you would try and compare Lithium-ion to Lead-acid. Wait, you have been using a lead-acid battery for ten years!? My you are a cheap-ass, you’re suppose to change a lead-acid every three years. In your cold climate, you would better off with a radioisotope thermoelectric generator.

7. Grece wrote, “where will you store your battery-powered toy, as your garage is full of junk?”

We have a 3-car garage and only one car. Yes there is junk in one stall but I know a landfill site nearby that will take or recycle most of it. I can also tidy up the workshop and park garden equipment in the garden. So, space is not an issue and I could park the thing(s) in the driveway under a tarp if necessary. Tiny frame and tarp garages are available cheaply. I could park two Solos in one of those. It’s all good. TLW has been suggesting that option on her own, thanks to a neighbour’s example and her hatred of the back yard and my trees…

Charged batteries have no fear of the cold. I could even heat them if that were an issue. My Lexus has usable batteries and it’s been in the cold often/usually for a decade. We live in Canada, you know.

8. Dr Loser wrote, “what current model car would she be “upgrading” from?”

Lexus hybrid SUV. She pays those bills.

9. Grece says:

I expect she will want her own Solo after I bring this baby home.

LOL, I HIGHLY expect that you will be delegated to sleeping outside in your SOLO, if you push the issue.

Question: where will you store your battery-powered toy, as your garage is full of junk? I certainly hope you do not keep your electric big-wheel out in the cold, which would ruin the batteries.

You really think that, Robert?
    I suspect your wife has considerably more sense. Just out of interest, what current model car would she be “upgrading” from?