Diss United

I hate a lot. I hate M$, BillG, Intel, That Other OS, things that don’t work, stuff like that. Today, I saw how United Airlines treats passengers and operates more like a criminal gang than a proper business. I don’t like that. I think everyone who pays for a ticket has a proper contract with United and United should do their level best to fulfill the contract, even if some of their employees want to fly to Louisville to go to work, especially if so. I mean, would the world end if four of United’s employees missed a flight? Would the world end if they were hung over and couldn’t fly? Would the world end if they were in a severe collision on the way to the airport? What’s the difference then when the problem is United OVERBOOKING the flight?

I was only on one overbooked flight ever in my life. I had just received the job-offer to go to work in Saudi Arabia and wanted to propose to TLW that we marry and have our honeymoon in Saudi… I wasn’t going to take some money to take a later flight… In the event, TLW made me wait a day or so anyway, but that’s besides the story. This poor guy did nothing wrong but book a flight on United. He shouldn’t have been assaulted and kidnapped because of that.

I think everyone should check their itineraries to make sure United flies only their dead-heading employees until they go bankrupt.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Diss United

1. AA messed up the tickets. AC can’t be blamed for that. Folks weren’t dragged anywhere. I’ve always had good courteous treatment on AC. I don’t hate AC but I won’t fly anywhere these days. It’s just to much of a hassle with “security” and “check-in” taking longer than some flights. Winnipeg to Edmonton is ~1.5h and checking in takes 2h. I’d rather spend a day seeing the sights and smelling the roses charging and driving my Solo EV.

2. Well_well wrote, “I don’t really get that haterd on Intel. Certainly they aren’t saints”.

Technology is good but monopoly is not. A serial killer is not OK just because he has African violets in his windows. Paying customers not to use AMD betrayed all trust I had in Intel. I was a true believer until that made the news. I followed Intel’s early development of the microprocessor. I read carefully their specs of 486 SX/DX. I chose DX because I wanted to crunch numbers. I love that they support FLOSS more or less. I love that they do struggle against M$’s control but I will never forgive them for deliberately distorting the market. That can’t be undone. Intel rendered AMD impotent not through superior science/technology but bribery. I remember when there were many “second sources” of x86 technology. Now there’s just AMD and VIA who barely exist as competitors. That would not be allowed in any other consumer products. I won’t allow it in my house.

3. Well_well says:

I don’t really get that haterd on Intel. Certainly they aren’t saints, but after all they support free/open source software rather well, unlike companies like ARM Holdings that seem to be quite hostile to the idea of having things open source GPU drivers. Intel even was a kind of pioneer in the open source graphics driver segment and they certainly have done their share of helping the free/open source software movement.

Sure, it would certainly be nice if there was more competition in the desktop CPU market, but preferably not the kind of “race to the bottom” style violent price competition that sacrifices quality and user’s freedoms.

4. Ivan says:

The news said $800 and a hotel room

That $800 came in a stack of $50 vouchers that couldn’t be used together and had an expiration date. It wasn’t a good deal.

The reason why its illegal for employees to fly without a ticket in Australia is so the employees are on the manifest of people on the aircraft and where they should be in the aircraft if something goes wrong.

I typoed.

There is a important one why seats have to be reserved for employees. Lets take the case were one of those employees has been replaced by a imposter. The employee was not on the database shared with security so if they have been found dead how would the overall system know that they were replaced and going to fly.

The reason why its illegal for employees to fly with a ticket in Australia is so the employees are on the manifest of people on the aircraft and where they should be in the aircraft if something goes wrong.

What is USA air regulations crap.

7. Kurkosdr says:

So they don’t have this problem since the taken seats are prevented at loading. Employees needing to fly seats are counted a preloaded in the Australian system so only the number of public subtracted the number of employees that need to move can be loaded.

It was a combination of overbooking and incompetence. The plane was overbooked and United didn’t reserve the seats for the employees, which if they had it would result in a more standard “denied boarding” situation, so they decided to deny boarding retroactively to a passenger, which was a major dick move.

You don’t book employees on a flight, nitwit. That was the whole problem.
    DrLoser Qantas and Virgin in Australia do. Legal requirement to be in passage seat in a commercial aircraft you have to have a ticket.

It called the domino effect. When one aircraft cannot fly due to lack of staff and then the number of interconnecting people cannot as well then the other routes that flight should cover are effected as well. The cost to avoid this would be cheaper to charter a private jet. So this is cost cutting nothing more and untied not willing to pay for a private jet to move their people when things go wrong.

When you count those extra four employees who should have been there, it was overbooked.

You don’t book employees on a flight, nitwit. That was the whole problem.

And I can’t really see why you would pull a doctor (or other professional, with appointments set) off the flight just to accommodate a flight steward or so. I mean, how hard would it be to send three staff out and arrange for a call-up to replace the other one?

Dimwit.

10. Old Bill says:

“United offered a paltry $300 according to one account”

The news said $800 and a hotel room, which is the Crown Plaza O’Hare for UAL. I can’t believe that the flight was that full of non-takers.

11. Kurkosdr says:

The flight wasn’t overbooked. Four customers were bumped to make room for four employees.

12. Ivan says:

13. Kurkosdr says:

And of course, the cause of this is airliners offering refundable 24-hour cancellations. Which means they have to overbook because they anticipate a great deal of people to not show up. Which means people end up getting bumped from flights when the airliners’ cancellation expectations are off. Which means that the cost of a cancellation is not picked up by the person requesting the cancellation (as it should have were overbooking illegal and cancellations non-refundable) but by some other unlucky person.

I guess it is how western civilization works these days, aka distribute the cost someone generated to other people. Much like depositors had to see their deposits inflated away to pay for the bailouts caused by someone else’s​ credit-card/risky mortgage (or having to pay for those bailouts in the form of higher taxes), or having young people pay ever increasing taxes to cover someone else’s fat state-funded pension…

14. Old Bill wrote, “the existence of a whole planeload of passengers who would pass up the $800 plus overnight hotel bonus in their desperation to get from ORD to SDF.”

It was late in the day and the overnighting would greatly inconvenience all those who needed to be somewhere the next day. United could have gone up to $1350USD or so but chose to call in the goons. United offered a paltry $300 according to one account, barely enough to cover hotel/taxi/inconvenience. Further, they could have shipped their employees by other means. For the hit United is taking, they could have put them in a taxi.

15. Old Bill says:

United certainly takes the Worst of Breed trophy for the way that they treated the guy. I’m puzzled, though, by the existence of a whole planeload of passengers who would pass up the $800 plus overnight hotel bonus in their desperation to get from ORD to SDF.

UAL was desperate to get a flight crew to SDF to operate a flight out of there the next day, so likely many more passengers would be chapped by that. Even so, somebody in the UAL organization in ORD should have been able to bargain with someone for a few seats. Where is the Art of the Deal when you need it?

16. Grece wrote, “Speaking of things that don’t work, hows that LeMaker Cello?”

The Cello seams dead, thanks to AMD. I guess they are conflicted. RK3399 is already shipping set-top boxes and a DIY board is on the way. RAM is less than I’d like but they are cheap enough I can afford several.

Really this action of United could not be done in Australian airports and be legal. Once loaded is loaded. To take people off once loaded is unload everyone and everything. Its a safety thing so cargo of the person is unloaded as well as the person.

Yes it a lot simpler to get a everyone off aircraft using a mechanical error excess and reload than risk of a fight on aircraft in a confined space that has to be cleaned up. Better yet don’t let this happen in the first place.

Note due to blood and mess they would have had to legally unload clean anyhow to be textbook to international procedures. Yes it a short cut to go around asking people to get off willingly but it not lawful in many countries so some people are going to be confused. If they fight you end up unloading the aircraft anyhow and take more time than if you had unloaded and reloaded in the first place.

So there is absolutely no sense to United procedures. Of course cost cutting idiots come up with these stupid processes.

18. Grece says:

No wonder you never got anywhere in life, nor do any of your projects come to fruition. Let’s see, you hate Microsoft, a multi-billion dollar company. You hate Bill Gates, a multi-billionaire. You hate Intel, a multi-billion dollar company. Windows, a multi-billion dollar software platform. So to boil it down, it logically follows that you hate money.

Speaking of things that don’t work, hows that LeMaker Cello??