Age And Tired Of Tires

Today, temperatures and weather forecasts prompted me to make the change from winter snow tires to summer radials. I hate this chore. The tires+rims+air weigh about 60 pounds. Then there is the jack that has to be repositioned four times, and cranked. Lug-nuts need to be loosened removed and reinstalled. Oh, and that damned little plastic hub-cap…

It doesn’t “make my day”. It ruins it. Maybe it’s time I took the gas-guzzler to a shop where a guy with a hoist and pneumatic wrench could do the job for money.

To add to the misery, the summer tires are getting worn with just a couple of millimetres of tread left. I found three steel whiskers embedded in one. TLW must have driven over a shed tire on the highway… I guess this is their last year. Must shop. Shopping for these is so weird. I found prices per tire ranging up to $600 on Amazon.ca. A local retailer has them for about $236. Will keep an eye out for discounts this year. I thought prices rose with oil. Didn’t they fall??? Wonder why I love the Solo? How long do you think Solo-tires will last compared to this rolling tank of a gas-guzzler?

This entry was posted in family, technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Age And Tired Of Tires

Maybe it is, Robert. Maybe it is.

As ancient and wrecked and miserly as you are, it’s still not too late to join the Western Economy. You pay for what you get. It seems to have worked well for about two hundred years or so.

2. Grece says:

Please explain this “falling to the side”, if said vehicle is already secured on jack stands. You don’t have to lift the vehicle very far to remove tires, just a few inches at most. Once the vehicle is lifted, you move the jack stands around and set the vehicle back down on them.

Once all the jack stands are installed, you can work under or around the vehicle all day or for a week, without the vehicle “falling to the side”.

Manufacturers and dealers, often don;t know their ass from a hole in the ground too. Most would rather sell you a new engine, when a $50 part will fix the problem.

3. Grece wrote, “Did you even perchance, rotate the tires when you put the summer tires back on?”

4. Kurkosdr wrote, “Pog is smart enough to understand that.”

I’ve seen how the dealership does it. I could rig up a jack to lift two wheels at a time. It would be more efficient but it would put pressure on me to move faster. I’m against that. 😉 Besides, the wheels are still uncomfortably heavy.

5. Kurkosdr says:

“If you were smart, you would jack up the entire front or rear end”.

And risk having the entire SUV fall toward your side (and damaging the vehicle itself if you have already removed the wheel) if the vehicle wobbles sideways enough, which considering your are unscrewing plugs and pulling wheels from it, it probably will.

And this is the reason:
    a) Manufacturers don’t recommend this procedure
    b) You shouldn’t accept advice from clueless nerds like Grece.

At least Pog is smart enough to understand that.

6. Kurkosdr says:

None of that makes these 18 inch wheels any lighter nor my gut any smaller

None of that will balance your wheels either, which your car may need if TLW drives over things often, and it won’t check for any bent suspension links too, but please, keep staying away from professional tire service just to save some labour pay.

7. Grece says:

Sounds like you have wimpy equipment.

A 3-ton jack is what a hundred dollars, the same for for two sets of 3-ton jack stands, along with an electric impact.

Did you even perchance, rotate the tires when you put the summer tires back on? Which was the front, which was the back, if not why not? Rotating the tires increases the longevity of the tire.

8. Grece wrote, “If you were smart, you would jack up the entire front or rear end”.

Well, that’s not the recommended procedure from the maker. The included jack is not up to that. I’d have to make/buy even more equipment for a job done twice a year. It doesn’t look like a good use of space/time/money to me. I could buy an impact wrench but then I’d need a bigger air-reservoir. That’s doable since I have an old propane tank taking up space already.

None of that makes these 18 inch wheels any lighter nor my gut any smaller.

9. Grece says:

If you were smart, you would jack up the entire front or rear end, then support with jack stands. That way you are only using the jack twice. Next you employ an electric impact and off the lug nuts come.

I would not source tires from China. Coincidentally, did you check the spare tire? Next to never is this ever done, and often times the tire is bad off and needs to be replaced, but that is discovered when needed the most.

Additionally, did check the brake pads? What about the wheel bearings? Brake fluid flush?? All things that the normal person is too lazy to perform.

10. Kurkosdr says:

That’s what most normal people do, and this also allows then to get their wheels professionally balanced.

Of course, the cost of tires would be much cheaper if it wasn’t an SUV. And you would be smarter if you had separate bank accounts from TLW, so if she wants her massive tank on wheels she has to pay from an account that is exclusively hers and not from a common account with you.