Wishful Thinking Of Non-Free Software Makers

“Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, sent out a note this past week arguing that companies that “don’t jump on the open source bandwagon” risk being “left behind.” SAS’s PR team, by contrast, put out a report offering helpful guidelines: Make sure your software portfolio contains no more than 40 percent open source or face potential exposure to all sorts of security, cost, and other problems.”

See SAS, Canonical turn silly over open source
Chuckle. While Canonical does not ship much non-Free software, they seem to think like SAS when it comes to persuasion… Both want the world to take their suggestions about the ratio of FLOSS to non-FLOSS software in use.

Meanwhile, the world has moved on choosing what works best in many cases. For me, the decision was made nearly two decades ago. I use FLOSS everywhere unless there’s a compelling reason. Take Flash videos on the web… Damned Adobe persuaded too many websites to use FLASH for just about everything it can be used to do. Even today, Electra Meccanica’s website makes it very difficult to browse remotely from my living room through my server. There’s so much singing and dancing, the local machine can’t redraw the screen often enough to keep out of deadlock. JavaScript madness continues too.

Regardless of my personal problems with non-Free software, the world has largely accepted FLOSS to SAS’s chagrin. I guess Canonical should be glad except they barely mention “Linux” on their site. What’s with that? They are like some purveyors of non-Free software that talk about the benefits of their products without even mentioning what the software actually does as if that’s best kept secret…

e.g. Adobe sells a bunch of products that some folks feel are so essential they will pay money each month to keep that happening when in my whole life I’ve only used one of their products once with no end of frustration and dissatisfaction. I do manage to store, manage, edit a bunch of graphics/video without using their products, just FLOSS. I use Gimp, ImageMagick, Gallery, GNUmeric, CUPS etc. all running on Debian GNU/Linux operating system on desktop and server. I get the full benefit of using my own data with no monthly tax. I have better use for my money like buying welding rods for my next project or stocking up the pantry, or buying an electric car. No, I use FLOSS everywhere I can. You should too because it works for you not some corporation wanting to enslave you. After all, that’s the purpose of computerized information technology, getting more done with less.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Wishful Thinking Of Non-Free Software Makers

DrLoser there is a very good reason why Microsoft recommend and uses themselves Linux load balancers. Microsoft own load balancer does not support enterprise features and Windows Server network stack is not built to-do all the enterprise features well. You know that DCCP protocol that you complained about its security fault it was a prototype protocol to help load balancing.

If you want to use enterprise load balancing with every feature you are fairly much restricted to Linux kernel as only option. As most of the features are patented so Microsoft cannot implement.

Yes I made a spelling correct error dedicated should have been instead of decanted right is what drloser would be thinking. As normal its not my term. Decanted load balancing server is referring to one of the stunts to control DDOS. One of the enterprise features Windows own load balancers cannot do.

So I am having a clueless DrLoser arguing again

Speaking of the local cable TV network, incidentally.

It’s all bits, innit?

In what way does your local cable TV corporation differ from Microsoft?

Why would I want to do that from a computer when we pay for cable TV?

Your desires are irrelevant here, fossil.

Those of us who choose real freedom, rather than being locked into the local cable TV network, prefer to view our entertainment via the internet, over a suitable OS stack, and (regrettably) with a usable Flash plug in.

I don’t have that facility yet. Please advise. And no, paying $30 a month to whichever Manitoban cable company you splurge out TLW’s hard-eared dollars to … does not count.

Glad you mentioned that, Robert. Whilst waiting for your reply, I built the 4.10 kernel on make -j2, and I can now share the results with you:

* Started at 16:48:32
    * Ended at 17:10:23

A scant 22 minutes on a machine that runs at 6W processor consumption. (And as you say, building the kernel takes very little else.)

Or, to put it another way, 7*95 versus 22*6. Do the math. Chuckle. It’s all good.

I know which one I would pick, if I were a cheapskate like you.

Do you have a preferable performance metric?

5. DrLoser wrote, “Who, as I say, can watch Major League Baseball to their heart’s content.”

I don’t watch any sports except occasionally what TLW is watching on TV/ESPN/etc. Why would I want to do that from a computer when we pay for cable TV?

My stock portfolio is doing better and won’t suffer when the air comes out of the Trump balloon which could happen next week.

1) Those figures suggest that nobody in the financial world is listening to your bleatings.
    2) Good for you. I’m glad you’ve finally found your metier as a bloated capitalist pig.
    3) Standard warning: portfolios may go down as well as up.
    But who cares? For the last ten years or so (since you retired?) nobody associated with Microsoft has actually lost. And that includes the billion or two desktop users. Who, as I say, can watch Major League Baseball to their heart’s content.

I’m fascinated, oiaohm. And I’m even going to ignore your “very special snowflake” use of the term “decanted,” which evidently means something to you, if to nobody else.

These “load balancer servers.” What are they? Do by all means provide a link.

8. DrLoser wrote, “MSFT started at $63.28, peaked at $65.78, and is now at $64.71. Your ancient, wheezing, whines do not seem to be getting through.”

9. DrLoser wrote, “how long does it take you to build the latest kernel on Beast? I might be able to give Beast a run for its money.”

Last time I checked, it was about 7m while wasting ~95W. That’s why I want to switch to ARM. I don’t really care about the speed except that it’s some kind of benchmark. I just need to get to more modern hardware than AMD64. It’s not appropriate for the times. Beast is CPU limited, not I/O, during the builds so SSD probably would not help. The ARMed systems I’m considering should be competitive but not necessarily faster but they will be less expensive both to buy and to operate.

So Microsoft internally is coming a confused mess. Some areas are pro-Linux some are anti-linux some are meh who cares.

Er, no, Fifi. Not in any way whatsoever.

You tatterdemalion ignorant fool.

Not I. I recommend avoiding M$ as much as possible.

And the world listens to your Hard-Gained Wisdom, Robert. Why, in the last three months — I pick this purely because American business works on a quarterly basis — MSFT started at $63.28, peaked at $65.78, and is now at $64.71. Your ancient, wheezing, whines do not seem to be getting through.

Anyway, on to more interesting subjects, ie Ubuntu. I am beginning to have a great deal of respect for Ubuntu. For starters, it actually takes the effort to be an easy install. (And uses apt-get, so even a senile Canadian will be able to update it.) And whenever you need a “non-free” package such as Flash, it asks you politely and then installs it automatically.

Of course, I can’t actually access MLB games via either Firefox or Chrome, even with Flash installed … because the underlying stack is a mess. But who cares about Entertainment? Shoddy Useless Free Crap, that’s the thing!

Incidentally, my micro-server being an Intel NUC, I was wondering … how long does it take you to build the latest kernel on Beast? I might be able to give Beast a run for its money. At 6W processing power plus a further 8W SSD.

Not what I said at all. Microsoft advertised Linux inside Microsoft products. Microsoft in a few places advertises partner products that are 100 percent Linux as well. Some of the decanted load balancer servers Microsoft recommends you use are 100 percent Linux.

Lord Humungus 6 years ago Microsoft was not like this back then you would not find them pushing Linux in any department.

Why is Microsoft caring about Linux compatibility if Linux is dead in the water. Microsoft is offering Linux user-space applications more and more to the masses. Then you have SQL server being released for Linux along with other bits.

Lord Humungus so this comes a question when will Linux be good enough and with Linux ELF binaries being the cross platform compatible form why make Win32 and Win64 binaries long term.

Windows 10 updating and bricking on people is not going down too well.

Lord Humungus really I don’t see any valid arguement how Windows is going to remain long term viable. Microsoft is attempt to embed advertisement and all kinds of things to keep income values up. Lot of Microsoft stunts with Windows 10 are saying they are in trouble because their cash cow is not paying out as much as it use to.

13. Lord Humungus wrote, “what both are you are stating that people should just use Linux inside Windows”.

Not I. I recommend avoiding M$ as much as possible.

14. Lord Humungus says:

So what both are you are stating that people should just use Linux inside Windows, as Microsoft does not offer Linux to the masses. I can understand that point, thanks for the insight!

Lord Humungus take a close note of the position of everything.

Like the side list Linux Virtual Machines are first and getting started with Linux is right hand side.

This is basically Linux given the ideal marketing locations in the documentation.

With support for Linux, Windows Server, SQL Server, Oracle, IBM, and SAP, Azure Virtual Machines gives you the flexibility of virtualization for a wide range of computing solutions

Interesting line right. Lord Humungus. If you pay attention to what Azure part of Microsoft does you will see Linux given best marketing position over and over again. There is a efficiency issue. Azure can have more clients paying them on the same number of servers when they are using Linux solutions than when clients are using Windows solutions due to the efficiency differences between Windows and Linux.

So part of Microsoft loves Linux. Microsoft loves Linux so much for Azure they have employed one of the lead kernel developers of Linux to full-time work on Linux to do nothing else to make Linux have even higher efficiency. Yes when I say do nothing else never work on any of Microsoft own internal products only work on parts that apply to Linux.

Yes sections of Microsoft are pro-Linux in advertising with Linux holding first billing and giving Windows second billing and worse cases Windows gets no billing at all. Not all departments of Microsoft are that way.

16. Lord Humungus says:

That’s not “literature”. Microsoft is a paid member to the Linux foundation, they use Linux software internally. Not actually promote Linux over Windows.

17. Lord Humungus wrote, “Show me one piece of literature, whereby Microsoft promotes alternative operating systems., namely Linux.”

M$ is a “Platinum” member of the Linux Foundation. That’s what they do.

18. Lord Humungus says:

19. Lord Humungus wrote, “Microsoft continues to dominate the world market, leaving the open source bandwagon far behind in their dust.”

I thought M$ was busily promoting GNU/Linux and using it in-house.

20. Lord Humungus says:

Meanwhile, Microsoft continues to dominate the world market, leaving the open source bandwagon far behind in their dust.