Solo EV At Chengdu

The Chinese partner of Electra Meccanica appears to take a look at a real Solo operating in Chengdu China in this YouTube Video. Enjoy. The Good stuff starts 25s in…

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Solo EV At Chengdu

1. DrLoser wrote, “I imagine you can at least “examine” the doors. And even “modify” the doors.
    Perhaps even “distribute” the doors.”

Yes, unlike TOOS according to the EULA from Hell.

That will make life easier as I won’t have to decide which door to use

Whatever happened to FLOSS, Robert?
    Still, I imagine you can at least “examine” the doors. And even “modify” the doors.
    Perhaps even “distribute” the doors.
    Bit of a shame about the total lack of choice built in, though.

3. That’s exactly what I’m seeing on the left hand side.

Robert Pogson that is the photo of the solo with the door hinge. Do take careful note of the shape of the connection plate. Even if you fold that down to the car that will not make a Y shape. The connection plate to door is C That would make a very bad E shape. So what you are thinking are holes are rounded bolt heads in a Y shaped connection plate.

The door connection plate is not exactly small or easy to hide.

The connection plate for the door is curved so that if it was fold complete down it would be curve off a circle with a centre in the front of the vehicle. The ones you are seeing in you picture are a curve off a circle with centre in back of vehicle so the only thing they can be is mounting plate to chassis.

Yes there are different solo photos of the real door hinge. The photo you had does not match those either.

There is a reflection on the rounded bolt head of the connection plate that gives a deception that its a hole.

5. oiaohm wrote, “The top one angle shows that it not a hinge folded forwards or back.”

You are looking at the hinge flaps on edge. They are not pins but flat perforated metal hinge flaps.

That’s not what I see. It looks like a hinge, all of a hinge, just waiting for a door to be bolted on.

Its that I know what I am looking for. I have been around roll cages rally cars with clip on doors. There are no free bolt holes to bolt a door on-to. Car door hinge is like a house door.

The top one angle shows that it not a hinge folded forwards or back. A car door hinge is like your house door. There is a bolt plate to car and a bolt plate to door as one piece. A latch point only has a single bolt plate and you cannot see in the picture its existence. The top one you can clearly see the head of the front mount to car bolt and there is nothing in front of the latch loop or behind the latch loop to be a door connection plate.

The bottom one is deceptive. The power connector between the door and car is in is behind the latch point. If you look closer the power connect does not have any free bolt holes. . That is another clue that its a latch on door. The other video showed powered windows on the latch on door. So there are 4 connection points 3 that hold the door on and 1 that provided power.

The other thing the connection plate to the door is just like a house door about the same size as the connection plate to the car just a different shape and that is defined by regulation. So its not small . By the way you will be looking for the bolts on door to hold the same amount of force as the connection plate. The fact we can see the bolt heads in picture on the latch means we should be able to see the holes though the connection plate to door.

The first time I saw these I made the same mistake and ask if they were using a different type of hinge to normal car and got laugh at then explained. So the picture shows 3 latching loops. 2 of them are where a door hinge can be mounted. So fitting a proper door to the solo in picture would be unmounting the 2 latch points and bolting the door on with a door hinges instead. For show for something to set up for display using latches instead of hinges for the door you are going to remove makes absolute sense as well. Having to manually bolt a door on and off risks stuffing the threading.

7. oiaohm wrote, “the front ones are only like half a hinge and too solid to have the other half of the hinge connected”.

They look like hinges to me.
    They kind of do until you notice the front ones are only like half a hinge and too solid to have the other half of the hinge connected. The pin bit that would have to be removed to allow the other half of hinge connected is not in fact removable.

Yes the mountings for hinges and latch points can be identical in this case they are on a solo for the front mounts. So a hinged door or a latch point door can go on either side. If nuts a latch point door on both and make it total hell to get in and out of.

For a display vehicle using latch points for quick complete door removal also makes sense as well.

9. oiaohm wrote, “if you look closer that is latch points instead of hinges”.

They look like hinges to me.

Robert Pogson if you look closer that is latch points instead of hinges. Yes it being designed and tested with opening door and a latch connected door. Building prototype having both makes absolute sense.

With different regulations and planning to go international it required to test both door designs. Latch and Hinge. I would say standard opening doors in countries where regulation accepts it as highest safety rating. And 1 opening door and a latched connect door in the others. The fun of the differences in regulation.

11. Lord Humungus wrote, “Tesla 3 is a better deal.”

That’s not an unreasonable stance but Solo is more efficient. The Solo’s small battery takes less energy to get to full charge and the km/kWh are better. Most people are city-dwellers or suburban types and don’t drive for a living. The Solo can be recharged overnight in their garages for peanuts. Solo gets 10km/kWh and Tesla, only 4.8 km/kWh. If it’s efficiency you want, go Solo; buy two if you need two rides. You get the same range as the Tesla but twice the flexibility. I’m hoping TLW wants one after she sees mine… I would be afraid of her driving mine. She pushes limits… 😉

12. Lord Humungus says:

Tesla 3 is a better deal. For twice the price of this “toy”, I can get four times the car.

13. Grece wrote, “Door only opens on the right side”.

That will make life easier as I won’t have to decide which door to use and there’s no fuel tank as in ICEd vehicles so there’s less to burn. The batteries can be difficult but they are outside the passenger compartment.

This thread shows an image of a Solo with the left door removed. It clearly has hinges and a latch.

It’s been officially announced that the first production models will have two working doors:
    “doors are on both sides — the model in the video is one of our pre-production vehicles.”

14. oiaohm wrote, “Bigger issue with having only 1 hinged door is another car pulls up close to yours on the easy to open and shut door side.”

Ah, but we Canadians are “nice”, parking between the lines. With the Solo being so skinny, this is less likely to happen here. Nevertheless, I usually park far away from the big box stores just to avoid accidents. I don’t mind walking an extra few yards just for the privilege of being able to drive forward to leave a parking spot. It makes my life easier. I also don’t mind backing into a spot if the door will be conveniently placed. I usually do that in single-row parking so that I can drive forward to get out.

15. Grece wrote, “Soon available on Alibaba, in a plentiful of colors and for a far less costly sum.”

I’m sure that’s the idea, greater profits and room to fight competition. It could be good to let TLW buy a second one at a lower price. It’s all good. I’ve never had any Chinese cheat me although the language issue was a pain sometimes. EM has that covered because Chinese have invested in the project and are on staff. Vancouver is like the Canadian version of Hong Kong.

16. Grece says:

The Chinese is going to figure out how to build this themselves, and steal the entire idea leaving Electra Meccanica with nothing. Soon available on Alibaba, in a plentiful of colors and for a far less costly sum.

Robert loves cheap Chinese products!

Grece
    Door only opens on the right side, someone could crumple that door and you would be trapped, burning to death.
    That Solo is built to china regulations of course Grece does not know that. Look closer the side without door handle has a complete panel release pull button. That is that door panel has no hinges to buckle just clips to release. So yes open the door without a door handle and it will fall completely off. Kind of a good feature in a crash.

One section you see the inside of the not opening door pull button to release the panel next to the window control buttons. So both doors do open just one is insanely hard to close after you have opened it as it no longer connected to the vehicle .

18. Wizard Emeritus says: