OMG! Chocolate Price Hike!

“Chocolate prices could rise if the UK does not secure a trade deal post-Brexit, according to Mars’ top boss.”

See Chocolate price hike if Brexit deal fails, warns Mars
Be still my beating heart! I was aghast to read the headline on the article on BBC. After a few seconds, it dawned on me that they were talking about prices of chocolate in Europe, particularly “Mars Bars”. I can live with that as long as they don’t raise prices here, in Canada. I am old but eating is still something I can enjoy in moderation. Chocolate, nuts, cheese, fruits, vegetables, meat,… I love them all and I resent arbitrary increases in price. UK leaving EU is a silly reason to raise prices but with no trade agreements, that’s what you get, random percentage increases in prices at each border-crossing.

That’s just silly but that’s what Trump wants, to exclude foreign products/services or to tax them. He should go straight to Hell for that. Raising the price of chocolate or anything just because he can is a sin. That’s right up there with murder by the state, confiscation of property and all that. Let’s hope Canadians retain their senses and never fall for that nonsense, and keep importing chocolate and other good things at reasonable prices.

This entry was posted in food, politics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to OMG! Chocolate Price Hike!

1. Grece wrote, “What no posting about ARM, Dubious Linux, Trumpism in the past week?”

We were off the air at my home since ~0800 on Tuesday. Apparently, I didn’t miss much. I even got to listen to local AM radio the old fashioned way with some wire draped across a window. I need a longer wire for the low-frequency end…

Apparently the Trumpists were wanting us to believe that Obama called upon British spooks to tap Trump’s phones… Paranoia reigns supreme at the White House. OTOH, EPA is being gutted. There’s a place where Trump could do a lot of damage in a few short years. Imagine USAian automakers going back to V-8 gas-guzzling… No, wait, they’re smarter than that, cranking out EVs to straighten their books. It could take a year or two to have any effect and by then the Congress will have impeached or otherwise hobbled Trump.

2. Grece says:

What no posting about ARM, Dubious Linux, Trumpism in the past week?

Perhaps the “Be still my beating heart!” came to fruition??

Hey Petey, read what I actually wrote not what you think I wrote before you end up with a deformation suit being filed against you.

Really Ivan its management of the centre that decides what the room allocations are. The funny part is a female who is abused is unlikely to even complained about it. Now a female that is a perpetrator is likely to complain and expect everything exactly their way. So was the female who left suitable to be in the shelter in the first place by the action most likely no.

And let’s just stop pretending everyone claiming to be transgender is transgender.
    This is bias. Your other comments are bias as well. Management of these centres has to be screening. There are many women who have to be asked to leave because they are domestic violence perpetrators and perpetrators mixing with victims is not a good thing.

That’s nice and all but there is a real problem in Canada that needs to be addressed, pre-op transgender men staying in Women’s shelters.
    So yes I did read what you read. Ivan the reality is that is not the problem that needs to be addressed and like it or not this is you taken on board a bias point of view.

Ivan how do you sort domestic violence perpetrators from domestic violence victims. You cannot do this on sex. You can do this on behaviour. Victim is normally happy to have a roof over their head even if the conditions are not ideal. Perpetrators will be way more forceful to attempt to have everything their way. So odds are the female that was kicked out was a perpetrator. Putting a perpetrator with a victim will have the perpetrator attempt to justify to the victim why they should go back because nothing wrong was done.

Lack of individual rooms does need to be addressed.

Of course DrLoser as normal has no point but has to put in a post to earn his pay.

“Defamation,” please, Ivan. You might claim that Mr Dolding is “deformed” in one or several other ways. I could not possibly comment.

Unlike Fifi, I am not in the habit of consorting under a dimly-lit lamp-post in the further reaches of the Outback. And, to be entirely fair, the choice out there is rather limited.

“Deformed, but willing.” That will usually do the trick, I believe. Not that I could possibly comment.

5. Ivan says:

You’ve been a little quiet recently, Robert, so let’s get back to the basics.

Here’s a recipe for the Ultimate Chile Con Carne:
    1) 1 pound braising steak
    2) 1 pound minced beef (I prefer at least 15% fat, but tastes differ)
    3) 2 cans chopped tomatoes
    4) 2 onions, one white, one red. Finely chopped.
    5) Half a litre of stock. Beef, or whatever you can forage.
    6) 1 can kidney beans
    7) 1 can black-eye peas.
    And, of course, the ingredient that makes it all worthwhile: 75g (I treated myself to 100g) of 75% cocoa solids dark chocolate.
    Plus garnishes and sour cream. Feeds around 6-8 people at a very decent price.
    (Stir in sour cream at the last, and garnish with coriander if you feel like being posh.)

I wouldn’t trust you to get this right, but I have a feeling that “The Little Woman” would do it for you.

As she does so much else for you, without you even noticing the effort involved.

Don’t try to hamsplain me, Pete. You have a man claiming to be a woman being lodged in a room with a woman and you don’t see the problem with the woman being asked to leave the shelter when she takes issue with the penis in the room.
    Ivan same thing has happened here with women shelters with male security when due to lack of beds a women has been asked to share with the male security personal. If properly vetted person should not be a problem.

Even that it been documented that aggressive partners are less likely to return and cause trouble at shelters with male security/presence.

Please note Australia women shelter policy mandate individual rooms for very big important reason.

Shocking fact is one in 3 cases of domestic violence is the one performing the violence is female not male. So 2 women in a room could still be a victim and a perpetrator. Domestic violence offenders are not all male. So she should have been just as upset because it was a share room and been complain about not enough rooms.

Ivan so looking for a penis is being a idiot. The fact the shelter did not have individual rooms is the problem. If the room where as they need to be individual then the transgender would not have been the same level of problem right.

Ivan so this is not me spinning but you being a idiot not knowing the topic to understand what was wrong.

More than one person to room in a shelter for Domestic violence cases that are not part of the same group is wrong and risky. Yes a women could be kicked out of home because she is the violent one. How would you tell what you have a victim women or a perpetrator women.

Transgender or males properly vetted being in a shelter complex should not be a problem if the shelter has enough rooms and should in fact increase the security of the shelter complex.

Ivan really you have a bias against Transgender or male by focusing on the sexual organs. Its really simple to forget the documented cases of female on female rape and abuse as well. When you look at this problem without bias individual rooms are mandatory. When you look at data about issues at shelters males in the shelters in random rooms do prevent some perpetrators from considering forcing their way in.

8. Ivan says:

9. Ivan says:

Ivan
    Well, random internet person with transgender in their screen name, don’t you think women seeking to leave abusive relationships with men should be able to stay in a room without a man while they are in a women’s shelter?

Please note most women shelters it individual rooms.

It comes a very hard problem. I have known of a few women shelters with male security guards. Because a lot of abusive males will back down more when they faced with another male than faced with woman. So transgender being there might increase women security that have left abusive relationship. There are male police who cross dress in many countries to catch crimes on trains and the like.

So without more data what you are pointing to could making a issue out of something that improves women security not weaken it. Also can show the abused woman that not all males are like their abusive one so increase odds of them not returning and reduced risk of them end up dead in the end. There are some quite interesting studies in the NZ, AU and UK over this field. None cover transgender. Most of the studies found women shelter 100 percent female had more issues than female with male security/presence. How you do the male security/presence and what format works the best is the question. Maybe transgender is a valid option.

11. Ivan says:

12. TransgenderJen says:

Ivan, what do you have against people that identify as transgender?

13. Ivan says:

14. Deaf Spy says:

Back to the Belgium chocolate. Just a couple of days ago I got a bag of good quality cooking Belgium dark chocolate. I melted the chocolate and mixed it 1:1 with a chestnut puree. Added just a tiny bit of caramel.

Serve with a spoonful of strained yogurt (read yogurt, not some cream-based starch-thickened crap) and a leave of two of fresh mint.

I also sprinkle with some hot chili.

15. Deaf Spy says:

For Turkish Delights – go to Turkey. I am very saddened that Turkey is becoming a mess, and I dare not go to Istanbul anymore. Edrine, however, is just a 2.5 hours drive. The artisan shops offer unspeakable culinary gems.

I’m voting for Belgian chocolate, btw. I’m wholly behind Deaf Spy on this one.

Don’t try the violet-infused Turkish Delights on offer in the average Belgian town center marketplace, however.

They are disgusting.

One thing eating dark chocolate can’t cure is sanctimonious proselytizing. Oh, your dark chocolate only has 70% cacao? You poor thing. I only eat 97% cacao fair trade raw vegan organic helper monkey picked chocolate that’s been through the digestive system of a spotted African cat.

It’s madness!

Naw, mate, it’s coffee. And just to add a couple more corrections, a civet is not a cat, and the civet in question is native to Indonesia, not to Africa.

Quite right about the madness, however. It’s endemic around this blog.

It might even be catching. Btw, have you heard anything about friend Douglas recently? I suspect he lurks, fuelled no doubt by this African Turd Chocolate you speak of.

18. ChocolateMan says:

Considering dark chocolate, no not the BBC variety, someone came up with an idea to market health claims around dark chocolate to drive sales, and now we have scantily-clad, coconut-water drinking Crossfit junkies “treating” themselves with one or two squares of paleo-approved dark chocolate after they do their dehydrated and well-lit butt-thrusted Instagram selfies, because of antioxidants, or something.

It’s madness!

Be still my beating heart!

I wouldn’t go quite that far, Robert. A beating heart is a healthy heart.

That said, I’d lay off the chocolate for Lent if I were you.

20. Deaf Spy says:

Belgian dark chocolate. Nothing beats the pure, rich taste of cocoa. Combine it with small dosages of whatever – mind, pepper, wall nuts, caramel… It never fails to give an exquisite experience.

Wait, wait … curiously strong mints!

Just to put your mind to rest, Robert. The world of easily affordable consumer-grade comestibles is still out there, despite the efforts of disgraceful people like you and Trump.

Extraordinary, isn’t it?

Raising the price of chocolate or anything just because he can is a sin.

Hilarious.

A sin, Robert? A sin? A mere peccadillo, or perhaps something that St Thomas Aquinas might have railed against, had chocolate existed in his time?

“Lord, Give me a mars bar. But not yet.”

Er, Bob — the increase in price is basically because the pound sterling has fallen through the floor since the Brexit vote.

I know that your appreciation of economics is primitive, to say the least, so let me put this in terms you can understand:

“Gold bar? Me like gold bar. You got gold bar? Me pay top loonie for gold bar! 1,000 loonies for gold bar!

“What, you say a loonie not a dollar? Is so! Says so on front. Or back. Me confused by these things. A dollar is a dollar! Me only pay $1,000 for gold bar! Final number for me!

“You say gold bar cost $CAN 1,350? You mad-man! Me sane!

“Now go far far. Me no pay. Me sit in corner and gnaw on honest Canadian gold bar!

“Mmmmm …. gold bar taste of toffee and chocolate and good good stuff!

“No, wait. Not gold bar. Is cheap cheap mars bar! Me like mars bars!”

24. Wizard Emeritus says:

“Rather hypocritical, no?”

Nothing like your hypocrisy Dougie.

Countries that support duty free means items passing from country to country don’t get tax on top of tax in the middle.

Turns out a lot of EU countries only support Duty free with EU trade agreement linked to the common currency.

USA is currently a duty free supporting country but some of the things trump as said suggests it may not remain that way.

So brexit is bring out some issues in the EU that have been left unresolved. In fact this tax on tax has been effecting Australian businesses wanting to do business in the EU. Yes at times longer shipping routes or having to use a EU distributor to avoid tax stacking.

Canada has duty free meaning only products going to be consumed in Canada have to pay the taxs. EU lot of countries you pay the tax passing though the country with no refund unless its from another EU country in the common currency.

26. Mohammed Khan says:

Silly you say? Canada taxes food on imports. Rather hypocritical, no?