Conscription

“Sweden is to reintroduce conscription due to difficulties filling the ranks on a voluntary basis at a time of increased security concerns, the defence minister has said.

Sweden ended compulsory military service in 2010 but military activity in the Baltic region has increased after Russia’s annexation of Crimea in 2014, prompting Sweden to strengthen its military preparedness.”

See Sweden to reintroduce conscription amid rising Baltic tensions
I don’t think Canada needs conscription at the moment but I would definitely urge the Canadian government to build up our military forces in anticipation of real war sooner or later. Russia, Syria, Korea, Libya and any place that boils over require strong intervention not peace-keeping. If the kitchen catches fire, one doesn’t just move to the living-room and hope for the best.

Canadian armed forces are barely enough to hold a single town together, let alone to fight a war. That’s not good enough. We should ramp up bodies, especially shooters, by at least a factor of five and we should procure vehicles and weapon-system in numbers sufficient for a general mobilization. Modern warfare is not like WWII where we had years to get ready. Things can get really bad in days with ICBMs, suicide bombers, chemical/biological weapons and many thousands of really insane people possessing them with evil intent. Conscription is fine to mobilize a population but we probably don’t need that if our reserves are much larger and our weapon-sytems more capable. We should aim to recruit ~10% of the population for military training and have 1% of the population ready to go instantly. That would give us flexibility similar to other countries who recognize the dangers around the world.

This entry was posted in politics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Conscription

1. ram says:

‘The Nazis killed many thousands who refused to do their “duty”.’

They also lost the war. Like I said, conscription doesn’t work.

2. Grece says:

What happened here.

3. On the picture linked below, one can clearly see where the rib-cage ends nearly a foot behind the exit wound. The entrance wound was very near the front leg too. It was a very clean kill with the deer taking just a few bounds before it bled out. You can compare that picture (actually from mrpogson.com here published with this story) with the anatomy of a deer on this page. Range was a bit over 100 yards. I was very surprised to see the deer move the 40 yards that it did manage. If it had been knocked down, it probably would have died on the spot. This is why I recommend heavy round-nosed bullets for guarding an open space. If a deer is close it will usually go down promptly. If it is further away, one usually has time to cycle a long range bullet into the chamber to reach out. Either way, placement is key and this bullet was placed well, just behind the front leg from the side on a standing shot. The lungs were totally collapsed. You can also see much blood from the muzzle. A gut-shot deer would not likely have that.

4. The Wiz wrote, “Its about time Robert Pogson.”

5. dougman wrote, “Doesn’t Canada have freedom of speech?”

There are limits like yelling, “FIRE!”, in a theatre.

Apology is not accepted. You are banned henceforth.

6. Wizard Emeritus says:

“Further, the bit about killing people is beyond the pale. If you want to continue posting here you’d better apologize sincerely or get the Hell out.”

Its about time Robert Pogson.

“No deer that I showed was gut-shot. I haven’t seen a gut-shot deer in the last 20 years.”

Ahem…..http://i.imgur.com/PCfdxED.jpg

Killing people?…Only YOU mentioned the fact about the Nazis killing people. All I stated was a firing squad taking out a particular class of non-indigenous folk. Obviously this troubles you, eh.

Doesn’t Canada have freedom of speech?

8. dougman wrote, “with that gut-shot deer”.

No deer that I showed was gut-shot. I haven’t seen a gut-shot deer in the last 20 years. I think I’ve only done one my whole career of 60 years of shooting.

Well Pogsey, a firing squad [DISGUSTING ATTACK REMOVED – rp] , would work. Hell, you could use the target practice that’s for sure, what with that gut-shot deer that you attempted to proclaim you shot last year.

10. dougman wrote, “No one was killed for jumping the draft, they were locked up”.

The Nazis killed many thousands who refused to do their “duty”. One of the reasons they went to gas-chambers was that ordinary German soldiers actually had consciences so they could make the mass slaughter less personal.

Firing squads Pogsey? No one was killed for jumping the draft, they were locked up.

Now don’t get me wrong, I do think America should have a two-year service for every citizen just like Israel has with it’s Israeli Defense Service Law.

12. ram wrote, “Conscription doesn’t work.”

In WWII, conscription worked, backed up with plenty of propaganda and firing squads.

13. ram says:

Conscription doesn’t work. The reasons are mostly classified. Think mutiny — perhaps with atomic weapons.

Thats right Pogsey, conscription would do you a world of good. Just think how buff you would look in 8-10 weeks time, why you could find yourself a blonde looking Kellyanne Conway in Manitoba possibly, albeit highly unlikely.