LeMaker Cello Less Dead Or Mummified?

“LeMaker Cello– An ARM 64-bit Sever Main Board with 96Boards EE Specification”

See LeMaker Cello|An ARM 64-bit Sever Main Board with 96Boards EE Specification
I keep an eye on this page and noticed a change today. They’ve deleted the part about delivery expected in Q2 of 2016. I guess the anniversary of that date approaching stimulated some action. Stock is still zero… OOPS! They still have “the scheduled ship time is in Q2 of 2016” buried in a paragraph below. Sigh. That inspires confidence. I used to teach students that one of the indicators of a reliable website is maintenance. They don’t even have that one down right.

So, it’s looking like my new ARMed server won’t be this board. It was old-looking even a year ago. Now it’s just sad. All I wanted was a new replacement for the functionality we now have plus a lot of RAM and storage. Will I need a neural net of Odroid-C2s or should I buy a new smartphone to get the job done? Marvell still has no stock of their board. At least that one would be closer to the state of the art and affordable.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to LeMaker Cello Less Dead Or Mummified?

1. DrLoser wrote, ““viable” does not mean “there is a slavering lunatic in Manitoba willing to shuck up $120 or so for a single purchase.””

And there are how many developers wanting to code for ARM and those billions of IoTs out there, and the millions of potential server-nodes? e.g. Debian, alone has a dozen ARMed machines and wants more.

You must agree that Debian is just the tip of the ARMed iceberg. There is a market for many similar machines.

2. Wizard Emeritus says:

“The Wiz’s suggestion, even though pricier, does not meet the specs of the Cello: ”

But neither of your cheap “server class” boards exist. Why they don’t exist is irrelevant, as is what YOU want Robert Pogson. The choice is not there, period. If you want an ARM based board with more than 4Gb RAM you are going to have to spring for one of the few REAL server class ARM boards that exist.

Or you can take you chances and wait and hope that a market for ARM based desktops that you can adapt from comes into being.

Thats not likely of course, but one never knows…

I suspect, Douglas, that you may well be confusing the real-life fool Pogson with that fool’s opinion of himself as enterprising.

Define “viable,” Robert. To normal people, “viable” does not mean “there is a slavering lunatic in Manitoba willing to shuck up $120 or so for a single purchase.”

Between the Marketing and the Delivery … lies the Shadow. I do recommend “The Waste Land,” btw. Now that you are safely retired, and out from everybody else’s feet other than your beloved’s, I think you should pursue a tertiary education via high-quality poetry.

I’ve followed up on the suggestion by The Wiz, btw, and try as I might, I can’t find any obvious reason to believe in a cheap ARM server as of late February 2017. It seems that Samsung, ARM, Huawei and several others tried out this theory back in 2013/2014 or so, and it gained no traction whatsoever. In fact, all three dropped out of the market for these things at around that time.

You’ll be pleased to know that cheap Intel “micro servers” are not faring very well, either. It’s nothing to do with the manufacturer, or the chip-set, or anything like that.

Right now, the whole idea is so utterly daft that only an ancient miserly ignoramus such as you, Robert, would even care to dream about it.

Here’s a clue, btw. That board that The Wiz quoted? It’s actually a pretty stupendous board, at a very high spec, for a very reasonable price, and it only costs $600 or so.

But it is emphatically not aimed at the likes of you.

“I want”..only works to a degree Pogsey. In reality, “I want” always succumbs to whats available.

For instance 7.3L diesel transmission casings are becoming a rare item. People want and want all day, but the market dictates a high price for such a commodity. Now, if some enterprising fool such as myself, got the notion of obtaining the drawings or actually blueprinting an existing casing and 3D printing one, I could have a new market to capture.

MAGA

6. The Wiz wrote, “Your problem is Robert Pogson, that you are never going to get a true server class ARM based motherboard for cheaper than $600.00-$1000.00. any more than you can get a true x86 based server board technology for cheap.”

That’s clearly not true. Both the Cello and HuskyBoard were viable but AMD yanked the rug out from under them. The devices were viable because it was developers that needed them, not enterprise server-rooms. You don’t need a big server to run a scheduler or to do I/O to test out drivers. Insiders got them and then AMD ran away from the product as if they didn’t need developers to play with their stuff. Stupid. A typical desktop AMD64 motherboard is all the “server class” I need. We just have a few drives and a gigabit/s LAN to take care of with a few clients.

The Wiz’s suggestion, even though pricier, does not meet the specs of the Cello: only 4gB RAM, no SATA. My PCI-e SATA interface would work but 4gB RAM has been proven not to satisfy both myself and TLW simultaneously. I need at least 4gB for what I do and TLW needs at least 2gB more. I want a Cello with 16gB to do the job. It’s simply a matter of not swapping. I’d really like a second gigabit/s NIC, too but I can go USB3 to NIC, I suppose, just like the Cello. Marvell has a better board for me. Cello would be OK. No doubt a few A57 cores would work, as long as they have multiMB caches.

7. Wizard Emeritus says:

“I just want any board that will run ARM, a decent amount of RAM, lots of SATA and gigabit/s Ethernet. Oh, yes, it should have at least 4 cores and big caches. That cuts out most smartphones or tablets. Server boards are what I need to replace the aging Beast.”

It didn’t take me long to find something, one I gave up trying to find dirt cheap…:

And the Cortex A57 isn’t a shabby chip either.

Eh?

8. dougman wrote, “Are you going to verify that they are NOT using any Intel microprocessors?”

Nope. Thanks for the image, BTW. Notice how they’ve bolted the motor to the bench. I think they figured out what torque was one day… There are two boxes there that might be computers. One shows a fan. It may well be an Intel hair-drier. I would have thought they’d use some part of the body of the car as a heatsink. This is an old picture. The imminent production may well be different.

Anyway, it seems the Chinese partner is Zongshen. They make ~1million motorbikes a year and many are electric. They have >10K employees and lots of capacity. There’s some information on their technology here about electric motorbikes. The technology used to drive the motor appears to use the CanOpen bus system, which runs on Linux, TOOS and a bunch of others. There’s no monopoly either in software or hardware.

Coincidentally, here is a snapshot of the wiring assembly jig that Electra Meccanica uses for the Solo.

Are you going to verify that they are NOT using any Intel microprocessors?

10. dougman wrote, “you were never going to get this board”.

With my increase in annuity, I could afford several if I wanted backup. It’s a decent board, although rapidly being dated by recent developments. I just want any board that will run ARM, a decent amount of RAM, lots of SATA and gigabit/s Ethernet. Oh, yes, it should have at least 4 cores and big caches. That cuts out most smartphones or tablets. Server boards are what I need to replace the aging Beast.

Pogsey, just be honest, you were never going to get this board. You need to get over yourself, and just get an Intel server board and be done with it. You are your own worst enemy.

How ironic would it be, that your Solo Ev has Intel microprocessors. Just think, every mile you ride in your tricycle, will be a mile ridden in hypocrisy.

Pogsey, why do you ALWAYS do things the hard way?

Too generic, Douglas. We need to dig deeper. It’s not so much the “hard way” as “what tiny amount of small change will cause Robert to drool and bark like a Pavlovian dog?”

Roughly twenty dollars in this case, I think. Not small change, but hardly enough to spend what few years of life remain in waiting for a crap cheap unsuitable “server” board from an obviously unreliable supplier whose promises can clearly not be believed.

Yup, twenty dollars just about covers it. (Your estimate might well be better. I still wonder about that boy-racer tractorette + T-Frame farrago, let alone the failed Sears Roebuck Rototiller experiment that preceded it.)

“I keep an eye on this page and noticed a change today. ”

Pogsey, why do you ALWAYS do things the hard way?