Working Against Workers

“In his first days as President Trump’s pick to lead the Federal Communications Commission, Ajit Pai has aggressively moved to roll back consumer protection regulations created during the Obama presidency.

Mr. Pai took a first swipe at net neutrality rules designed to ensure equal access to content on the internet. He stopped nine companies from providing discounted high-speed internet service to low-income individuals. He withdrew an effort to keep prison phone rates down, and he scrapped a proposal to break open the cable box market.”

See Trump’s F.C.C. Pick Quickly Targets Net Neutrality Rules
So, at the speed of light, Trump attacks the ordinary folk trying to get on line. No breaks for poor or imprisoned. No fairness to content-providers. Expect to pay twice for Internet service, once directly to the ISP and again through the content-provider. This is good for business, unless you are a content-provider. This is not good for workers who are getting their employers jerked around by Trump or facing higher prices. It’s just good for the winners that Trump picks despite fairness in the market.

This entry was posted in politics, technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Working Against Workers

“Do you have any idea how many links you had in there? Why should everyone have to scroll past your stuff?”

Doesn’t matter, as it wasn’t spam to begin with. I mean, my God man, you let Fifi’s wall-o-spam stand, I was just providing relevant links.

2. dougman wrote, “Censoring now, eh?”

Spamming now, eh? Do you have any idea how many links you had in there? Why should everyone have to scroll past your stuff?

“[Shortened in the interests of the comfort of readers. rp]”

Censoring now, eh?

4. dougman wrote, “Cloud chamber… YAWN.”

That was ancient technology. Mine was new. No bubbles nor photographic cameras were involved. It was all electronic using electrons and ions left in the wake of charged particles.

January 1976, ah yes, the 70’s were riff with global cooling alarmists. Were you an advocate for climate change and global cooling at that time?

1970 – Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age – Scientists See Ice Age In the Future (The Washington Post, January 11, 1970)
    1970 – Is Mankind Manufacturing a New Ice Age for Itself? (L.A. Times, January 15, 1970)
    1970 – New Ice Age May Descend On Man (Sumter Daily Item, January 26, 1970)
    1970 – Pollution Prospect A Chilling One (The Argus-Press, January 26, 1970)
    1970 – Pollution’s 2-way ‘Freeze’ On Society (Middlesboro Daily News, January 28, 1970)
    [Shortened in the interests of the comfort of readers. rp]

“I built the first of its kind drift chamber particle detector in Canada from scratch with no off-the-shelf parts except electronic devices and modules.”

Cloud chamber… YAWN.

Now, if you stated you built an unlicensed nuclear portable particle accelerator, I may have been impressed.

7. dougman, showing little understanding, wrote, “So you wrote a 40-80 page paper. Big deal, the ONLY reason you did so was for your degree.”

You clearly don’t understand me. I spent years getting a Master’s degree which most do in ~6 months because I loved what I was doing. I could have had the degree years earlier if I’d wanted only that. I built the first of its kind drift chamber particle detector in Canada from scratch with no off-the-shelf parts except electronic devices and modules. I designed and built the chamber, it’s voltage-dividers, it’s preamplifiers, it’s power-supply, it’s gas-supply, the software for design and data-analysis as well as working on other research projects and making myself useful to the department teaching, operating systems and publishing papers, as you call them. The thesis was a bound volume. I’ve scanned it here. It’s 88 pages BTW… Sadly, it was done with a cloth typewriter by me and transcribed on an electric typewriter. No word-processing in those days… I did most of the drafting too. So there…

8. dougman ranted, “No one cares to read about you ranting and raving about the woes of Microsoft, and how you, the little man, figured out a way to get over the man and foisting Linux upon a single classroom.”

Well, I’ve had hundreds of thousands of page-views and why are you here? I don’t know how many schools I’ve worked in but I’ve done way more than modify a classroom. I’ve converted whole schools to GNU/Linux and provided lots of services to LANs. It must be way over 1000 desktops and a dozen servers, not just a classroom. e.g. Easterville. That was over 100 desktops, six servers and a nice network all designed and built by me with only about a man day of help from anyone else. I worked hard and got a lot done. I was younger then but now I’m aging more or less gracefully. You should try that. The last place I worked had only 20 PCs working with TOOS in classrooms when I arrived. When I left they had ~90 working with GNU/Linux. It was a lot less work keeping those GNU/Linux machines running than the useless TOOS-machines. I made a difference and I was glad for the opportunity.

“Well, what about all those people not as fortunate? Think they are standing still? Nope. They work hard to survive. Some fraction will come after you and yours.”

What unfortunates? Is it my problem that the local-town drunk is homeless, or that the habitual drug user begs for money so he can go get another hit in the abandoned warehouse?

Nope, it is not. Until people are willing to take care of their own problems, not run away from them and solve them, its none of mine or Americas concern.

Some fraction will come after me? LOL…good luck. They’d make turkey buzzard food in short order.

“I’ve written a lot, but just one book, my master’s thesis. ”

So you wrote a 40-80 page paper. Big deal, the ONLY reason you did so was for your degree. So much money did you secure off your masters thesis “book”? I bet you never made anything, as it’s not worth the paper its printed on. Just curious, what was this thesis book about?

“This blog has over 5000 posts. That must count for something, at least a book or two, especially back in the day when I wrote about actually what I did in schools.”

It actually counts for squat. No one cares to read about you ranting and raving about the woes of Microsoft, and how you, the little man, figured out a way to get over the man and foisting Linux upon a single classroom.

11. dougman wrote, “I made enough dough to set back on my back-porch, drinking lemonade and not having to worry”

Ahh! The Trumpist philosophy at its finest. “I’m rich and I don’t care about anything!”. Well, what about all those people not as fortunate? Think they are standing still? Nope. They work hard to survive. Some fraction will come after you and yours. Some fraction will stay where they are and tough it out. Some fraction will move to USA. It is in your best interests to see that folks are happy at home, making money and/or feeding/clothing/sheltering their families. I know it seems selfish but it’s not. Sharing and caring is actually the right thing to do for many reasons. Besides, it will make you feel human again.

12. dougman wrote, “where are your books? Great teachers write books later in life”.

I’ve written a lot, but just one book, my master’s thesis. This blog has over 5000 posts. That must count for something, at least a book or two, especially back in the day when I wrote about actually what I did in schools. I don’t read many books these days unless they come with “zoom”. My eye-glasses are optimized for distance so I can’t read books well at all. I could get a second set but books are nearly obsolete these days. I know people still write them but dead trees are just not my thing unless it’s firewood or lumber. It’s so much easier to publish on the web these days. I don’t see much need to publish in print/paper/bound volumes. I did think to write novels for a time but my writing style is not fashionable and I don’t have the endurance or speed necessary. Perhaps later…

“I’ve done lots besides teaching: particle accelerator physics, welding, electrical, electronics, computer, hunting, fishing, shooting, photography, gardening”

If you were so great and grandiose, where are your books? Great teachers write books later in life. Yet you write on a blog, day-in and day-out pushing your radical socialist ideals, fantastical dreams and silly ideals. While we set back and mock you.

“What have you ever done?”

Me? I made enough dough to set back on my back-porch, drinking lemonade and not having to worry about the stock-market ticking up or down, so as to worry if my pension will tank. That’s what I have done.

“Universal healthcare, education that works for everyone, stuff like that… Why is it that in “the greatest country on Earth”, lots of folks can’t afford healthcare nor get a good eduction?”

Has it ever occurred to you, that perhaps people are just too fracking lazy educate themselves, and be responsible enough for their own health, by making proper lifestyle decisions, exercising and eating healthy.

This is why considerable thought has been to abolish the Dept. of Education.

Kentucky Rep. Thomas Massie’s bill is only a page long, after merely stating the Department of Education would terminate on Dec. 31, 2018. Massie believes that policymakers at the state and local levels should be responsible for education policy, instead of a federal agency that’s been in place since 1980.

Universal anything, does not solve anything universally. Classic case of a misnomer, if there ever was one. Just like “climate change”, mankind is going to fight mother nature now? LMAO..

15. dougman wrote, “In your case, it would seem that you can’t DO anything, hence the teacher gig.”

I’ve done lots besides teaching: particle accelerator physics, welding, electrical, electronics, computer, hunting, fishing, shooting, photography, gardening … I was a better teacher because I knew how to do many things and had lived many places. You might try diversifying your outlook some time.

What have you ever done?

16. dougman wrote, “WTF are you even blabbering about?”

Universal healthcare, education that works for everyone, stuff like that… Why is it that in “the greatest country on Earth”, lots of folks can’t afford healthcare nor get a good eduction? Lots of other countries do much better than USA in those lines. I’m not investing in USA these days simply because I see USA is taking the wrong path. Check things out 4 years from now after Trumpism has done its damage.

“Maybe, instead of screaming, “NOT INVENTED HERE!”, USAians should take their heads out of their asses and look around at what is possible instead of saying things are impossible.

WTF are you even blabbering about? America is the GREATEST nation on the planet. America never said things are impossible, my God, we went to the moon. When is Canada going to the moon? In fact, when is Canada going to Mars?

Its all good, you can set back and look at the pretty pictures, us Americans provide you.

“I was reviewed nearly every year I taught and got a lot of good reviews. Principles and others in the hierarchy called me a “bright star” because I made extra effort and had more to give to students than other teachers who may never have done anything but be a student.”

Conversely, have you ever head of the following:

If you CAN ….. DO!
    If you CAN’T …. become a Teacher
    If you can’t teach …. become a Teacher of Teaching

In your case, it would seem that you can’t DO anything, hence the teacher gig.

19. dougman wrote, “You socialist healthcare sucks! I prefer free-market, and pay-as-you-go. Why should the government be involved in healthcare let alone education?”

Well, let’s see. 50million USAians with no healthcare insurance and a heart-attack can bankrupt most… USA is well back in the pack when it comes to education and is well behind socialist countries like Canada. Maybe, instead of screaming, “NOT INVENTED HERE!”, USAians should take their heads out of their asses and look around at what is possible instead of saying things are impossible.

“…and financial/economic meltdown and two hot wars caused by Republicanism. The solutions caused enough controversy without trying to jerk USA into the 21st century in healthcare.”

What does that have to do with Democrats dying off? You socialist healthcare sucks! I prefer free-market, and pay-as-you-go. Why should the government be involved in healthcare let alone education? Governments never create anything, and they always make things worse.

21. dougman wrote, “After Obama was first elected president in 2008, he enjoyed a Democratic-controlled House of Representatives, an eventual super-majority in the Senate, and Democrats had full control of 20 state governments.”

22. Ivan says:

If Black Jesus Obama’s FCC was so damned great why don’t these poor disenfranchised-from-the-internet people have fiber to the home? Also why the hell do you morons keep arguing against traffic shaping?

They’ll come roaring back after retaking their base

Not if they keep pushing bullshit identity politics as their platform and pushing Goldwater Republicans as part of the ticket.

two older judges will probably retire due to old age in the next eight years.

Except Trump is only in office because of who is opponent was. The next Democratic ticket won’t stupidly ignore the working class.

“No. They’ll come roaring back after retaking their base”

*ROLLS-EYES* You just have no clue.

Flash forward eight years.

Democrats lost 63 house seats, 11 Senate seats (not including Independents), 13 governorships, and nearly 1,000 state legislator seats. Despite the devastation at the state and federal levels, Democrats still had control of the White House.

The GOP will now have complete control of the White House and both chambers of Congress, and 33 states have a Republican governor. In 25 of those 33 states, Republicans control the legislature as well. In contrast, there are only five states with complete Democratic control.

Last not not lease, the Supreme Court. Neil Gorsuch is push the court to a conservative slant, while two older judges will probably retire due to old age in the next eight years. Which put’s in two more conservative judges.

24. dougman wrote, “The democratic party is dying off.”

No. They’ll come roaring back after retaking their base, independents and disaffected Rs. Trump will be their recruiter. The longer he stays in office, the stronger the Ds become.

“Dems will own DC after this”

The democratic party is dying off.

26. The Wiz wrote, “alt-right crap”.

Certainly, it is crap but I disagree that it should be called anything-right. “right”, politically/philosophically, is supposed to be about preserving good values. Trumpists throw out all values except maybe money, as long as it’s theirs. Where would Trump be if USA had treated his ancestors as he’s now treating Muslims? Probably living in a socialist country in the north of Europe. Where would Trump Inc. be if POTUS had denigrated Trump Inc. from the “bully pulpit”? Where would Ivanka, and Donald Jr. and Trump be if Congress treated them the way they treated Hillary for her relatively minor indiscretions? Trump is making corruption a global enterprise nested in the Oval Office. A congressman today was asked why his committee didn’t subpoena Trump’s tax-returns to check out the obvious jungle of conflicts of interest/emoluments out there and demurred. They would have done that in a millisecond for Hillary if she had not already turned them over… All they are doing as far as I know is examining the lease of the Post Office in DC. No pitchforks. No tar. No feathers. No urgency. I hope the voters add all this up. Dems will own DC after this.

“Obviously, a complete ban would be unconstitutional by any measure.”

Pogsey, there’s no constitutional issue here, even if it were a complete ban, which it is not. There’s not even a federal statutory issue, there’s just no way anybody could question it because POTUS has 100 percent authority over immigration, and Congress gave to the president, they delegated the ability to suspend the entry of any alien into the country and that executive order falls fully within statute.

As for the order not including majority Muslim countries such as the UAE, well the governments in those countries are able to work with the U.S. to thoroughly vet immigrants applying for American visas. That’s not the case with the countries included in Trump’s order. This ban has absolutely nothing to do with religion and everything to do with protecting the U.S. against terrorism.

Carter, Obama and other presidents have used it. Funny how Trump uses it and it is questioned.

28. dougman wrote, “Please explain, as to how Trump’s EO is a Muslim ban, when in fact other Muslim immigrants from other Muslim nations are allowed in.”

Obviously, a complete ban would be unconstitutional by any measure. So, to make it less obvious, Trump started with just a few and tried to blame the list on Obama. He’s just getting started. It’s the boil-a-frog-slowly experiment applied to the conscience of the nation. It’s the foot in the door to tyranny.

29. dougman wrote, “your not even a good teacher.”

30. dougman wrote, “Trump created this list, solely due to him having no businesses in either of them?”

Yes. It fulfills his campaign promise in part and doesn’t hurt Trump, Inc, you know the thing he puts first before USA.

31. dougman, “they must have a visa” is a little less restrictive than turning people back who were in the air with a visa at the start time. Get your facts straight.

32. Wizard Emeritus says:

“Actually it is odd, considering Obama generated the list of countries to exclude. ”

Perhaps, but then again I would have thought that our president would have caught the coincidence and then adjusted the list to include those countries in the ban.

33. Wizard Emeritus says:

“Quit drinking the media Kool-aid, and get your fact’s straight.”

IMHO its a better brew than the alt-right crap that you imbibe, Dougie.

“It does seem to be an odd coincidence don’t you think?”

The travel part of Trump’s order does target the same seven countries that were singled out with a law Obama signed in December 2015.

The Obama-signed law contains provisions that restrict travel to the United States for people who lived in or visited Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria since March 2011. They must have a visa to enter the United States; they can’t use what is known as the Visa Waiver Program, which allows 90-day U.S. visits to other foreign visitors.

The law was soon expanded by Obama’s Department of Homeland Security to cover Libya, Somalia, and Yemen. They were identified in the agency’s announcement as “countries of concern,” a phrase used in the law.

Quit drinking the media Kool-aid, and get your fact’s straight.

35. Wizard Emeritus says:

“Are you saying that Trump created this list, solely due to him having no businesses in either of them?”

It does seem to be an odd coincidence don’t you think?

“I am not sure who is being banned here Dougie, but one thing is sure, all the Muslim nations that trump does business with seem to have gotten a free pass.”

Trump doesn’t hold any business interests in any of the countries on the list, neither do I. What is your point?

37. Wizard Emeritus says:

“There is no correlation, as there is no ban on Muslims. ”

But if course, this must be false news, eh?

“No. It’s not.”

YES, it is. Your not a lawyer, hell, your not even a good teacher.

There is no correlation, as there is no ban on Muslims.

A person leaving from the Maldives would be welcome here, same with Saudi Arabia. Taking this a step further, looking at the top ninety-percentile of Muslim nations. Twenty-six other Muslim nations are allowed entry, which is approximately 80% of the top 90%.

Please explain, as to how Trump’s EO is a Muslim ban, when in fact other Muslim immigrants from other Muslim nations are allowed in. Your rhetoric and logic are faulty, which coincidentally seems to be the norm these days.

40. dougman wrote, “How is Trump “banning Muslims””?

Somalia – 98% Muslim
    Libya – 97% Muslim
    Yemen – 99.5%
    Sudan – 97%
    Iran – 98%
    Iraq – 95%
    Syria – 87%

I’d say it’s a pretty good correlation, like keeping out all people with frizzy hair instead of blacks. I wonder what Trump would say if some country kept out all USAians? Anti-Christian? Anti-white? Anti-English? Well, it doesn’t work as well on USA because of global immigration but in much of the world where life is harder, there is racial/linguistic/religious purity… It’s about people moving around, not good and evil as Trump would have us believe.

41. dougman wrote, “Here is the entire law, maybe you should read it.”

No. It’s not. “No person shall receive any preference or priority or be discriminated against in the issuance of an immigrant visa because of the race, sex, nationality, place of birth, or place of residence, except at specifically provided in section 101 (a) (27) and section 208”

The Congress has the authority to make law. The Congress gave wide powers to POTUS but with limits. Further, even the Congress does not have the power to violate the constitution which Trump does with his order by promoting one religion over another. So POTUS does not have the power to violate the Constitution just because Trump can read a paragraph of a law created by Congress.

Well Pogsey, you can whine all you want, but the fact of the matter is simply that, a biased judge has saw fit to disregard a lawful president and the law in general.

Politics needs to stay out of the courtroom.

Here is the entire law, maybe you should read it.

How is Trump “banning Muslims” when my ex. coworker who is Muslim, just arrived from Jordan? Also, this supposed Muslim ban, did not hinder my female friend from Canada, she left Toronto and flew to Florida for a sunny vacation, easy peasy.

44. dougman wrote, “Name one thing the “devil” has been evil towards humanity.”

Uh, banning muslims, deriding muslims, ditto Mexicans, undermining confidence in courts and journalists and elected representatives, even himself, threatening global trade, individuals and corporations. Endlessly muttering about “dishonest media” without specifics when he is the source of endless lies is particularly harmful. People who have only confidence in a fearless leader who leads them astray and nothing else is putting USA on a downward slope into tyranny. The other day Trump spouted this “highest murder rate in 47 years” thing again. It’s just not true. Then he said the journalists are not reporting for unstated reasons as if it was in journalists’ best interest to under-report crime… This is insanity. What harm does it do to tell all the little children how great USA is and how important is the president when anyone older than about 10 can tell he’s lying left and right? This is not making USA great but pathetic.

“Trump, is much more dangerous, promising to be everyone’s friend but picking winners and losers from the Oval Office. Obama never phoned up businesses and threatened them with huge losses if they didn’t fall in line. What’s with that? He’s a profligate liar too. Who can deal with the devil?”

Trump is literally the devil? Name one thing the “devil” has been evil towards humanity.

Just to review, Pai stopped a $9.25/month government subsidy for high-speed Internet. Pai stopped FCC lawyers from fighting about in-state phone calls because the FCC has no constitutional authority there. That’s it, only Pogsey draws some fantasy conclusion and devil-dealing, beating down the common man. Deregulation is good for America.

46. dougman wrote, “You do realize that you line of thinking, expressed here on this blog, visibly shows that you are a socialist?”

So, this is a bad thing, eh? Who are you to say I should not care for my fellow humans? Your hero, Trump, is much more dangerous, promising to be everyone’s friend but picking winners and losers from the Oval Office. Obama never phoned up businesses and threatened them with huge losses if they didn’t fall in line. What’s with that? He’s a profligate liar too. Who can deal with the devil?

47. dougman wrote, “Carbon taxes will bring in higher prices and cause Canada to import food, of my.”

Canada imports lots of food from all over the world. It has nothing to do with economics but climate. You can’t grow spinach and avocados here profitably all year round. OTOH, we export lots of wheat, cattle, pigs, because we can produce way more than we can consume. We produce most of our food in summer but it’s cheaper to import stuff than to grow it in greenhouses and freeze it. My own garden can produce way more pumpkin and tomatoes than we can eat in a season. I just made a pie from pumpkin harvested three years ago. I made a pizza last week using peppers frozen here two years ago. Our freezer is full of about two years’ supply of various foods.

BTW: Carbon taxes will bring in higher prices and cause Canada to import food, of my.

” It’s about ISPs being able to charge both content-providers and customers for the same content. Should retailers be able to charge manufacturers $100 for a TV and consumers $100 for the same TV? Nope.”

Who are you to say and think otherwise, what the free market dictates, oh socialist one?

“That’s a burden on the economy, making manufacture of TVs much less profitable and taking money from consumers they could use for something else.”

Socialism is state-run economy, and never works. Cuba is a perfect example. In your case, all the fruit and trees you planted would not be yours, you would be required to turn them over.

Ludwig von Mises, wrote an excellent treatise on Socialism, you should read it.

50. dougman wrote, “When should the government subsidize internet access Pogsey? These actions are just removing regulations and saving $2 billion annually.”

Oh, perhaps after having stolen most of a continent and putting people into concentration campsreserves or urban ghettoes.

Subsidizing Internet access for the poor/dispossessed may actually be good governance as it promotes literacy for a lot less than the cost of books, for instance. This is not mostly about subsidization however. It’s about ISPs being able to charge both content-providers and customers for the same content. Should retailers be able to charge manufacturers $100 for a TV and consumers $100 for the same TV? Nope. That’s a burden on the economy, making manufacture of TVs much less profitable and taking money from consumers they could use for something else. ISPs want to have their cake and eat it too.

The major telecommunications companies involved even opted out of the broadband program anyways. SO whats the point??

The Lifeline program has struggled with inefficiency and fraudulent claims in the past as unscrupulous resellers signed up ineligible people or signed individuals up for multiple accounts and took a cut of the subsidies. So regulating and abolishing the program saves the government money and wasteful spending. You know ALL about saving money and wasteful spending don’t you?

Here you openly mock America saving money, while trying to make it seem that Trump and the head of the FCC are a bunch of bullies. Oh boohoo, the indigenous Indians can’t have free Internet now.

You sir are a hypocrite, and a liar for pushing a false narrative. Next time, read more into the story before giggly regurgitating on this blog, what the media spews in your face as most of the material you write about is crap and worthless.

No fairness to content-providers.

Let me ask you a simple question, Robert.

When have you ever cared about content providers?

And let me issue a simple challenge.

If the content is not free, when and why have you ever chosen to dig into your moth-eaten wallet for said content?