Make My Day!

I just went out to get the mail, dressed for the cold. Fortunately winds were light and it wasn’t that cold. I didn’t freeze my nose nor fog my glasses.

OTOH, I was greeted by the sight of fresh snowmobile tracks trespassing in my yard. Rabbits and deer are bad enough, but these humans should know better. There is a $2K fine for violations of the “off-road vehicles” laws here and I spotted several violations:

• Excursions deeper onto my property inside my new piece of snow-fence and several excursions onto neighbours’ properties. The guy at my back even had these jackasses drive right over a low hedge clearly visible above the snow.
  • I followed the tracks and found they travelled down the road for hundreds of yards. That’s another violation. They are supposed to stay on their own property or the ditches except in emergencies, not joy-riding.

On the good side of things, I found where the snowmobiles live. I called the police with this information. Stay tuned for justice delayed but not denied…

In the mailbox I found more seeds as if I did not have enough already. One kind is new to me, “cultivation radishes“. These guys have huge long powerful roots that last just a season and leave deep holes in the clay, just what some of my trees have been demanding. I will plant some in the spring but ones planted in mid-August will grow deeper roots. I bought 500g of seed, enough for most of my garden and some of my best trees. Expect more rapid growth of my trees. If this works, I might buy a 50 pound bag next year. That will do my whole yard, every tree, and the garden for years to come. The seeds keep well, five years at a cool temperature, much longer with sealed packaging, desiccant and freezing temperature.

I also received a receipt for my deposit on a Solo EV and a signed-by-the-CEO picture of my model of Solo electric vehicle. Yes! Despite a crease caused by folding in the mail, it’s a beautiful thing and yet another reason to go on living.

This entry was posted in food, horticulture and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Make My Day!

1. Kurkosdr wrote, “it IS possible to avoid the tank traps”.

I meant that it was impossible not to notice them. This guy drove through ~30 feet from the corner. I have a large lot. I can’t fence the whole thing. He could come through on the driveway, for instance. He was halfway there. This guy’s a criminal, a terrorist. He has to be stopped. I will do my best short of shooting him.

2. Kurkosdr says:

But, Pog, if it’s possible to drive between the fence and your home, it IS possible to avoid the tank traps. Your second sentence contradicts the first one.

Seriously, tank traps? Where do you get those ideas from? Just put something temporary that blocks all entrance to your lot in those two sides that make up the corner, and when winter is over some vertical pegs and horizontal wire is all you need.

Where there is Rude Goldbergism in computinc, there is elsewhere too I guess.

Not just mine Pogsey, but others that farm for a living. Tillage Radish is a fall cover crop, and known as a “green manure” by local farmers. So essentially you are eating shit.
    Tillage Radish is a class of crop not an plant type. You have Tillage Radish for fields you are not going to use for 12 months to 3 years as well as versions you use as a 3 month crop. Tillage Radish is anything Daikon and I do mean anything that is classed as a Daikon radish.

Also you are a idiot Dougman.

Only a idiot who does not know the topic would say no one eats tillage radishes. People in japan have eaten different ones for so far back in time we don’t know when they started eating them.

Daikon radish is the real name to all tillage radishes variates.

dougman its only USA idiots who think that tillage radishes are not eatable. The only reasons you might avoid eating tillage radishes is if you have been using different crop sprays or radioactive fall out that would have end in the contained radishes.

forage radish, fodder radish, and tillage radish
    These 3 names are name that are given to Daikon radishes that are all perfectly eatable variates as long as you pick them before they rot in the ground. If you see them in a market they may not be for human eating because they could have been grown in human waste or are past their useby date(for tillage radish on shelf). Of course they could be perfectly safe as well but you would be checking with the vendor why labelled that way. Same plants grown in your garden in normal non contained soil there is absolutely nothing wrong with them to eat them.

Why did not have a point so you had to go off on a personal attack and only responding to prove you don’t have a clue.

dougman a lot of thing called “green manure” we eat. I would bet some time in your life you have eaten pees right dougman they are also a “green manure” crop.

So as soon as someone says reason not to eat a crop because it “green manure” you straight up know that the person is full of it.

There are insanity here were soybeans are grown with sugercane. Not to get soybeans but to use them as a green manure to improve the sugercane yield. So there are a long list of “green manure” crops that home country is japan that turn out to be food crops.

Dougman is a idiot who would stave to death with food all around him because he has absolutely no clue what is food.

4. Kurkosdr wrote, “you must clearly mark your property and make it clear they are not welcome there before your lot becomes a passage and they consider it their “right” to cross through it.”

Well, we are about the last folks to build here and the lots are quite uniform rectangles, right up to the ditches. There’s no avoiding my “tank traps” decorated with orange snowfence. This guy deliberately drove between that fence and my home and very close to an apricot I planted last summer. I’m beginning to hate this guy. Eventually I’ll get a picture of his plate and he’ll be toast. If he doesn’t have a plate, I’ll document that and he’ll be burnt toast. If I have to I will shove a steel bar into his bogey wheels and bring him to a grinding halt. I just can’t fence my property in winter and TLW doesn’t want me to. I will plant trees and defend them the next few winters until they are sufficiently sturdy.

“The world does not share dougman’s narrow-minded opinions. ”

But the upside is, you may attract deer into your plot, just don’t have someone “gut-shot” one like last year, then pose next the dead animal insinuating you made the kill.

6. dougman wrote, “what an idiot. Her house is all over Google”.

Yes, strange things happen all over in this year of Trump. A while later, her husband came home. I’m sure she recounted the story. The way he drives past my property he is very well aware that snowmobiles are trespassing. His own machines did once and not again since I spoke with him.

7. dougman wrote, “Only you would eat tillage radish Pogsey”.

These are a variety of daikon radish. They are delicious.

“Daikon is very low in food energy. A 100-gram serving contains only 76 kilojoules or 18 Calories (5 Cal/oz), but provides 27% of the RDA for vitamin C. Daikon also contains the active enzyme myrosinase.”

So, they are excellent for my diet. I like that. The seed is also several times less expensive than the typical red radish. I like that.

Here’s another opinion:
    “The good: This food is very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Folate, Potassium and Copper.

The bad: A large portion of the calories in this food come from sugars.”

I can live with that. The world does not share dougman’s narrow-minded opinions. Even the flowers are pretty and the pods delicious. Besides heavy clay in most places I have an area on one side of the driveway which is very rocky. Instead of growing grass there, I will plant these radishes and marigolds. It’s very difficult to cultivate gravelly ground. It will be delicious and nutritious and beautiful instead of sparsely grassy.

BTW, today, I officially informed TLW that I intended to buy the Solo EV. She didn’t bat an eye except to ask the source of the money… No problem. 😉

Fifi, go find yourself a baboon. No one cares about your opinion, you dumbass.

May I remind you, that it is YOU who is the court jester here.

I don’t go on blogs and post that I have dyslexia, as my reasoning due to not being able to compose a functioning sentence.

I don’t go on blogs and post that my writing style is special, and scientific in nature and analogous to doctors.

I don’t go on blogs and post that I have biological issues that cause wireless routers to drop offline.

I don’t go on blogs and post that I paint my face black and dance the the macarena, while jumping around looking like Harambe.

I don’t go on blogs and post that I have Marfan Syndrome, so this gives me an advantage to picking citrus fruit.

¡Ay, caramba!

“Well, I can plant them whenever I damned well want. In fact there are two optimal times for planting them, spring when you want to eat the roots in the summer”

Only you would eat tillage radish Pogsey.

Aistreams make nice RV’s, that one looks to be in OK shape.

“a neighbour came out of her house and yelled at me that she was going to call the police ”

LOL…what an idiot. Her house is all over Google; Streisand effect coming on. You should purposely go out there and photo her house and offer for sale, your images.

11. Kurkosdr says:

Regarding snowmobiles, you must clearly mark your property and make it clear they are not welcome there before your lot becomes a passage and they consider it their “right” to cross through it. A couple of vertical pegs and some horizontal lines of wire (thick but not barb-wire, just high enough so they can not strand it with their snowmobiles) should do the trick.

My family had a similar problem with people parking on the sidewalk in front of our house. You see, we were the first ones to build a house on this lot, which meant we also had to build the public-use sidewalk in front of the lot. So we built the sidewalk with a parking access ramp on the left side (leading to the outdoor parking spot) and another parking access ramp on the right (leading to the indoor parking spot). The middle was normal sidewalk with a curb. The problem was that some idiots considered it their “right” to use the ramps on the sides to climb on the sidewalk in the middle and park there. Which was a problem because the gate to our lot was in the middle, and getting into our lot was somewhat hard with someone’s fatass BMW X5 or other supersized asphalt SUV occupying literally all of the sidewalk (those were the years of excess for some, you see) because it was blocking the entrance. Sure, they could park it on the road like normal people, but no, the fatass SUV was wide and needed more space (and the owner probably sucked at parallel parking bigly, just like your snowmobile drivers probably suck at cornering).

So… we installed bollards on the edge of the sidewalk. A couple of idiots actually smashed their cars on them (because they were so convinced of their “right” they did it from muscle memory). We could see the broken plastic and slightly damaged bollard next morning. But after that, the problem went away.

Defend your rights to land use (public or private) from motorised invaders or lose them, Pog!

12. dougman wrote, “You don’t plant tillage radish in the spring.”

Well, I can plant them whenever I damned well want. In fact there are two optimal times for planting them, spring when you want to eat the roots in the summer or let them go to seed, and mid-late summer when you want them to put down those beautiful deep roots. I have ~50K seeds. I can plant some at both times for both reasons. Is there any reason I should not be self-sufficient in seed or eat radish roots and leaves?

You are already doing it wrong! You don’t plant tillage radish in the spring. You plant them after you harvest you main crops, about 1-2 months before your first fall frost. They die off leaving a deep hole in the ground. Which improves your soil for next season.

Nothing like getting information wrong. The question is what variety of radish. Some forage radishes take 36 months for them to reach max depth. All radish take at least 2 months to make full size. So if you are planting 1 month before frost that is planting too late. The forage radishes robert referees is after at least 3 months. Note the one robert quotes is a taproot 6 feet. And the one you referenced dougman is 8-14 inches of taproot. Yes it kinda makes a little difference is how much growing time you have to give them..

Note here is another forage radish but its growth of taproot is only 8-14 inches.

The sad reality is in some cases the same variety of radish that are 8-14 inch deep after 2 months of growing are 6 foot if it gets 8 months. Or use a faster growing variety.

Some of the forage radish are perennials. So they can have a growth cycle of many years before they reach full size. Kinda good if you are going to be leaving the land out of production for a while in a warmer environment.

Please note daikon radish is a huge number of different variates. Some daikon radishes are annuals some are perennials. Some make full size in 2 months some take years.

Obviously, you do not have any sort of framing experience.
    As normal you only know how to google and missed reading important difference. The site you referenced was only for growing smallish radishes.

14. Well, I went out and guarded the property. The offender trespassed on a neighbour’s property and I snapped this shot from afar just as he was leaving out through a row of trees at the back.

He’s too far away and the plate was below the snowline if there was one. He returned to buzz through my front yard but the camera was too cold to start up. He wasn’t showing a plate but I would have had good details of the machine and operator. As if the cold wasn’t bad enough a neighbour came out of her house and yelled at me that she was going to call the police if I took a picture of her house. I told her about the snowmobiles and she said they were staying in the ditch and it was OK, despite one having raced down her front street at full speed moments before… Sigh.

I might try again tomorrow using a charger to keep the camera warm…

” Walls cost money”

DERP. Breathing costs money in Canada, now that you have a stupid carbon tax.

“TLW wants an unobstructed view”

Stop being a cuck, and grow a pair of balls. If you don’t want a wall, then plant a lilac hedge.

“dougman can go to Hell”

How mighty Christian of you. Pogsey, why you mad? I would never wish anyone to “Hell”, that’s a total unsympathetic and unethical thing to say. After all we been through together and me giving you free friendly advice, not that you use any of it, but that’s besides the point.

Publicly apologize, or more snowmobilers will descend upon thee, for your bad karma.

16. dougman wrote, “You are already doing it wrong!”

Sigh. Some people like to tell others how to live their lives. He should tell TLW what she is doing wrong. She’d soon put him in his place. Walls cost money I don’t want to spend and TLW wants an unobstructed view of her work of art, the whole property. I’ve persuaded her to plant a hedge. That will please both of us and dougman can go to Hell.

“One kind is new to me, “cultivation radishes“. These guys have huge long powerful roots that last just a season and leave deep holes in the clay, just what some of my trees have been demanding. I will plant some in the spring.”

Obviously, you do not have any sort of framing experience.

On the topic snowmobiles, building wood fence bordering your land would be more wise instead of bitching about it and calling the police. I would say use a tractor and a three point post hole digger, but you rather spend your pension funds on Chinese crap, instead of a real tractor.